Walking a dog in a cemetery

rlk

DIS Veteran
I am just venting because nothing will change. I took my dad to visit my mom's grave last week on the anniversary of her passing. My dad's girlfriend waited in the car with her dog while we visited the grave. We get back to the car and the girlfriend and dog are gone. I looked around and to my horror, she was letting the dog pee on a gravestone.

I told her that was awful and disrespectful, but she just said that her dog was upset we left the car. Just when I think this woman can't do anything to top her crazy, she finds a way. I spoke with my dad and said he's sure she had he dog pee between the graves. What!!:sad2:

I'd have no problem with walking a dog in a cemetery, nor would I have a problem with a dog going to the bathroom in a cemetery as long as it was cleaned up and/or not on a headstone.

Yep, agreed. I don't make a habit of it because there isn't a cemetery right near my house (our old house property line bordered on one), but I have no issues with it. Wouldn't encourage the dog to pee directly on a tombstone, but otherwise I wouldn't have concerns.

EDIT: I suspect much peoples' feelings will be based on how they see/regard cemeteries. I have nothing at all against them, but I don't visit graves, etc...

As a kid i was taught to do my best not to even walk over the actual graves in a cemetery unless they were the grave I was visiting. So while I also agree that it's perfectly fine to walk a dog around a cemetery, the urinating on the actual stone is very disrespectful.

Many of the headstones where my dmil is buried have an actual picture of the deceased encased in plastic stuck on the tombstone near the name, dob and death. I have never seen a dog being walked at anytime we have visited but I cannot imagine the horror of seeing a dog peeing on my loved ones face. Beyond disrespectful and crass and the fact that she felt she did nothing wrong says a lot about who she is. I was always taught from a small child that cemeteries were a place of quiet and reflection.

The cemetery near my house has a "no dogs" sign, so I don't take my dogs in there (I have left them with my sister outside the gate while I go in to fill the dog water bottle at the water fountain inside). I would certainly never let my dog pee or poop on or near graves even if the dogs were allowed in, though.

We walk all the dogs from our county dog pound through the huge cemetery behind the building. It's a cool place to walk with lots of neat historical memorials. There's plenty of trees and we take bags to clean up after them. Not a big deal.

I am just venting because nothing will change. I took my dad to visit my mom's grave last week on the anniversary of her passing. My dad's girlfriend waited in the car with her dog while we visited the grave. We get back to the car and the girlfriend and dog are gone. I looked around and to my horror, she was letting the dog pee on a gravestone.

I told her that was awful and disrespectful, but she just said that her dog was upset we left the car. Just when I think this woman can't do anything to top her crazy, she finds a way. I spoke with my dad and said he's sure she had he dog pee between the graves. What!!:sad2:
That’s too bad really. The grave yards I visit have no dogs signs posted at the entrances. For good reason.

We had a reporter and a photographer in the cemetery down the street from the station today. It was opened in 1849 and is full of history, walkers, dog walkers and picnickers.

Oh, and the story we are doing? Apparently it is a trend now for expectant mothers to walk through old cemeteries looking for names for their babies.....names that are not common anymore. Names like Barnabas, Hardin, newton, Octavine, Yetive, Winifred, Edna, Martha, Gertrude, Clarence, Melvin, Bessie, Hans and Adolph.

Both where I grew up and where I live now there are large old cemeteries that are more like city parks. People walk in them for exercise and yes they take their dogs. I was there not long ago with a local hiking group exploring the graves of some famous city residents. Perhaps taking the father's girlfriend to visit the grave of his deceased wife was not the best plan.

Cemeteries were actually forerunners to public parks in America. Which is not to say that they should be treated with disrespect.

I would have no problem taking the dog on a walk to get out of the car at a cemetery (as long as there are no signs preventing), most are very beautiful and have great views around here. I would be careful where to let it do it's business though.

I have often walked my dogs in the pet cemetery where their ashes will be interred.

I would not walk them in a cemetery where they are not allowed.

I honestly do not think what happened was disrespectful.

I’m on my phone, so It is hard to respond to individual posts.
I really like that I learn about different ways and customs on this forum. Thank you all for the feed back.

I should explain that the cemetery in question is a Jewish cemetery and does not permit eating, drinking, picnicking or pets.

Also, not bringing my dad’s girlfriend was not a choice. We were at my mom’s plot for approximately 10 minutes.

I’m on my phone, so It is hard to respond to individual posts.
I really like that I learn about different ways and customs on this forum. Thank you all for the feed back.

I should explain that the cemetery in question is a Jewish cemetery and does not permit eating, drinking, picnicking or pets.

Also, not bringing my dad’s girlfriend was not a choice. We were at my mom’s plot for approximately 10 minutes.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure it doesn't help that you're experiencing this with a still hurting wound, and that it sounds like the girlfriend sets off the pain like a raw nerve. If the situation arises again in the future calmly point out the policy and suggest that perhaps you and your dad should go without the girlfriend if she cannot leave her pup home to avoid distress when you get out of the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!