walk from BCV to MGM?

sconstantz

Mouseketeer
Can you walk from BCV to MGM? If so, how long is the walk? Do you have cross any major roads?

How close to EPCOT? any major roads?

Thanks, shelly

Yes, you can walk to MGM from BCV. But, you have to walk around the boardwalk to the Boardwalk side. I would think it would add maybe 5 - 10 minutes to the walk from the Boardwalk, depending on how fast you walk. We have always walked from the Boardwalk to MGM in less than 15 minutes - and that is at a leisurely pace for us. So you can walk from BCV to MGM in about 20 - 25 minutes. You can also take the boat, too!

We walked from Beach Club (which the BCV's are attached to) to both last September. It took about 20 - 25 minutes to walk to MGM. You don't cross any major roads, it is acutally a nice leisurely walkway along the water. You can walk to Epcot in literally 5 minutes, I asked when we check in at the front desk how long it would take and the CM told me from the lobby to Epcot is 5 minutes, I thought she was joking, but it was true.

Regarding the boat rides. They cut back the boat service while I was there during President's week. There was only one boat working the entire route. Also the boats at Epcot (World Showcase) were not working at all. It might be better to walk rather than wait for the one boat. Also there was no boat service from Dixie to Downtown. Don't count on any boats being in service anywhere for awhile. If you are a member of OKW their boat service is running.

We were at BWV during President's week and rode the boats several times. There was definitely more than one boat running between EPCOT and MGM. Maybe there are fewer boats running in the middle of the day than there are at park opening and park closing, but we certainly didn't notice any cutbacks in the boat service between EPCOT & MGM.

The boats between POFQ/POR and DD were discontinued some time ago. IIRC, that service was paid for by the DD merchants. I look for it to be reinstated when the POFQ reopens and demand picks up.

As many of you know I've measured a number of different walks around DVC and WDW, but I haven't measured this one directly.

You can see the other reports by clicking on this link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160187

However, some quick calculations will give us a good estimate.

From Pathways revealed part 2 we know it's 0.66 miles from MGM to the BWV Luna Park Pool.

From Pathways revealed part 5 we know it's 0.35 miles from the junction of the path around the lake and the walkway out to the BWV boat dock and the junction of the walkway and the walk out to the BCV boat dock.

We can guesstimate that walking from the BCV boat dock to the BWV Luna Park pool would be about the same as walking to the BWV boat dock. (They're just slightly different directions).

Therefore, the walk from the BCV boat dock (that actually means where the path meets the walkway out to the dock, not actually out at the end of the dock) would be about 0.66 + 0.35 = 1.01 miles, or we can say it's just about a mile from the BCV dock to the entrance at MGM, or just <b>a little over a mile</b> if walking from the lobby.

We also know it's 0.21 miles from the BCV dock walkway to the pathway bridge between Epcot and BWV's. Since the walk from BWV's to Epcot is 0.36 miles, we can guesstimate that to the bridge is 2/3 of it, leaving 1/3 to Epcot, or another 0.12 miles. Therefore we estimate the walk from the BCV dock to Epcot's entrance is 0.21 + 0.12 = <b>0.33 miles.</b>

I don't understand, we were there the last week in January - *certainly* President's week would be a busier time than that. But the friendship launches within epcot were all running, and multiple boats were supporting MGM and epcot to the resorts.

Why would they cut back just before a holiday weekend? That doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense.

Originally posted by Pa@okw95
They cut back the boat service while I was there during President's week. There was only one boat working the entire route. Also the boats at Epcot (World Showcase) were not working at all.

We were also there during President's Week... we rode the boats to both Epcot and MGM on 3 seperate days. There were boats running to both theme parks. Just a note: We did notice on Monday (President's Day), that there was only one set of boats running to each park in the morning, but when we left MGM at around noon, heading over to B&C for lunch, they had just added a second boat for each park.

Regarding boats from Epcot to BW and on to MGM. It may have been the time of day, there was only one running. There was only one ramp open at BW for the boats and people were lined up to get on the ramp. It could have been before Epcot opened up. As far as the boats at Epcot they were closed that is for sure.

We walked from MGM to BWV after Fantasmic one night last June. There was a long line ahead of us waiting for the boats. They did have many boats lined up to help with the crowd. The amazing thing was that even though a boat pulled up to load people just as we were going past the dock, we beat the boat to BWV by walking. We kept waiting for it to pass us; it caught up just as we got to Luna Park pool. At that point, we went into the Villas; the boat still had to stop at Swan/Dolphin before getting to the BW dock. We certainly weren't speed walking....we were pushing a double stroller with a 4 and 2 year old and had an 8 year old walking with us. That experience sold us on the walk. I imagine we would have been standing in that boat loading line a long time! At non-peak times we still took the boat occasionally as it added to the relaxation element, but it sure was nice to have the walking option at park closing time!

Without checking out the walkways post, I think it is fair to mention that BCV is not near the boat dock- the dock is lined up with YC and BCV is on Epcot side of of BC so the actual walk to Epcot from BCV is probably more like the .12 from the BW/Epcot pathway bridge which is about evenly lined up with the BCV. It would be faster to take that walkway over to BW and MGM than to go by the YC dock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter