VP Pence to host call with cruise line industry.

Ok. There are going to be issues with some cruise lines that have restarted and if some people have an issue with cruising now then don't go on one now, it couldn't be any more simpler than that. I know it is scary for some people and I understand that but again we have to start somewhere. I just hope people can root that DCL is successful when they get underway again. I know I will.

"Ok. There are going to be issues with some cruise lines that have restarted" Exactly. That's.. that's the problem and why we aren't already cruising.

"and if some people have an issue with cruising now then don't go on one now, it couldn't be any more simpler than that. I know it is scary for some people and I understand that but again we have to start somewhere." Choosing to cruise is not an action you can keep to yourself - if person A chooses to sail and person B "simply" chooses not to but they both shop at the same grocery store, or any number of ways it could be spread, person As choice could very well affect person B. I do not believe person A's freedom to cruise trumps person B's freedom to reduce their odds of infection. I know it is frustrating and hard for some people to understand but just because we have to start somewhere doesn't mean we have to start here and now.

"I just hope people can root that DCL is successful when they get underway again. I know I will."

I do honestly believe every single person on this board wants this very much.

Wow, some of those restrictions are pretty involved. Not sure it will be practical for cruisers.

I mean, maybe if the cruise ship has everyone do these registrations before embarkation or onboard and submit for them it could work..? Or if they add information to the online checkin and just say guests who do not fill it out in time will not be able to debark at that port of call? I agree on it being a hassle, but with the way some are insisting they cruise sooner rather than later it is probably worth it in those cases.

I've just added the ports of call for early 2022 to the open prices thread and there are only a handful of ports Disney is planning to be concerned with; several are in Mexico, St Thomas and San Juan are US territories. Seeing the Fantasy only do Easterns was interesting - the Wonder and Magic will be hitting western, no southerns again.

Wow, some of those restrictions are pretty involved. Not sure it will be practical for cruisers.

I think you are correct about the restrictions being involved. They look like they were written for visitors flying in to the islands mentioned. I think the cruise lines if not already in talks with the islands will be soon to set up protocols and paperwork needed for the ships to return. I will say in the beginning it will not be easy. Ships sailing with limited capacity will help but it may still be a lot of paperwork that will need to be done. I think if the islands see what the cruise lines require in testing before a passenger can board a ship, they my set up different requirements to enter their country for the cruise lines.
It's a beginning.

Where did you get that statistic?

I found this on the CDC website:
View attachment 532752

It does show that the majority of deaths are us old people. But it's the younger people who are getting it more. Possibly bringing it home to grandma & grandpa?

Besides the fact that more cruisers are in that retired age group.
I was responding to the post "dead people don't need jobs". The virus is very low risk for working age people.

I think you are correct about the restrictions being involved. They look like they were written for visitors flying in to the islands mentioned. I think the cruise lines if not already in talks with the islands will be soon to set up protocols and paperwork needed for the ships to return. I will say in the beginning it will not be easy. Ships sailing with limited capacity will help but it may still be a lot of paperwork that will need to be done. I think if the islands see what the cruise lines require in testing before a passenger can board a ship, they my set up different requirements to enter their country for the cruise lines.
It's a beginning.
I just would be afraid that a mistake with one passenger or crew member, and the ship would be denied docking at the last minute.

I just would be afraid that a mistake with one passenger or crew member, and the ship would be denied docking at the last minute.

Their is always a possibility that a mistake can happen. But other things in the past, mostly weather have caused ships to miss ports. If my memory is correct wasn't there a cruise I think Western Caribbean that missed most of its port stops earlier this year before the shut down? I heard the official reason was weather, it was so long ago tho I am not 100% correct on this.
A ship could also miss a port due to mechanical issues.
The cruise lines always state "Itineraries are subject to change at any time"
I would hope the cruise lines, especially in the beginning would be extra careful making sure everything is done correctly.
This is all going to be new. People wanting to cruise I think will be willing to take the chance of missing a port.
Like I said, this is just the beginning. Processes they put in place now could be still around long after this virus is greatly diminished or long gone.

Like I said, this is just the beginning. Processes they put in place now could be still around long after this virus is greatly diminished or long gone.
Oh, the cruise industry has change soooo much since my first cruise in 1980. The cruise industry is in a constant state of change. That cruise, there was one seating for dining, 6 pm, and dinner was a 3 1/2 hour production every night. Suit and tie required most nights, tuxes on formal night.
Cruised on the Norway in 1983 and 1984. Name entertainers....both singers and comedians who you would see on the Tonight Show were on board and did their one show and then hung out with everyone the rest of the week. Sorry, Disney, NCL had their own private island, Great Stirrup Cay in 1983.
Oh, and the nightly midnight buffet. My kids first cruise was on HAL's Amsterdam in 2002 and they still had the midnight buffet, that was one of their favorite activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter