• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vow Renewals - How much is too much???

Mommy Poppins

DIS Veteran
We are renewing or vows at Sunset Pointe in June of next year. We have been married 10 years and had a vey nice wedding the first time. However, I'm starting to look at dresses, think about photography, video, etc. But, I am also wondering how much is too much for a vow renewal? Do I look at wedding gowns, or just a basic gown? Is it really worth videotaping and extra photography? Is it worth the Magic Kingdom photo shoot?

I know these all come down to personal preference and budget. But, I was just wondering what all of the other vow renewal brides are doing. I know that a lot of renewals wait until 20 or 25 years to renew their vows--especially with something as expensive as Disney. However, my DH is in the National Guard and has been deployed extensively over the last 10 years--spending long periods of time (currently in Kosovo) away from me and our 3 children. So, this renewal is no only for us, but also a renewal of our vows to each other and our family.

So, again, I guess my main question is what are all of you who are doing vow renewals planning for your Disney "wedding"?

Though we have no plans to renew our vows until our 10th year (which is still 6 years away), we are definately thinking Disneyworld. Yes, we had a nice wedding for what we could afford then. Now, we have new people in our lives who have come to mean so much to us, we want to include them in the fun as well.

I know, for me, it's going to probably mean a more simple dress. My wedding gown was a cathedral length train, long lace sleeved, beautiful gown, but I was partly restricted to what I could get (and looked good in) by my size (then, a 22-24 dress). I'm currently down to a comfortably snug 14 and have a wider variety of what I feel I look good in, so I might go for something with a little less fabric, however I am still big on detail. So my dress will be different, not necessarily "less" than my first wedding gown. :)

As far at attendents, we probably won't have any. This is really just because we are recommitting to each other and the few people we'll invite to come along on this journey will all be honored guests and attendants. I don't want anyone else to have to work. It should all be just fun for all (at least in our renewal).

Who said you had to get married just once?! I find myself recommitting to my husband in a way far deeper than I ever dreamed of when we got married 4 years ago, at least once a year. For our 10 year, we'd just like to do it for everyone to see - in a formal way.

Mommy Poppins said:
We are renewing or vows at Sunset Pointe in June of next year. We have been married 10 years and had a vey nice wedding the first time. However, I'm starting to look at dresses, think about photography, video, etc. But, I am also wondering how much is too much for a vow renewal?

Mommy Poppins, I have seen photos & videos of beautiful FTW vow renewals that were done for 10 year anniversaries, have no fear. And a lot of those couples had elaborate weddings the first time around, too.

They celebrated their anniversaries exactly the way they wanted to, whether that meant a large production or a very small one. And none of them felt guilty about celebrating in the manner that they chose. As you have already mentioned, this is a very individual choice. The ones who followed their hearts had no regrets. If your heart is telling you what to do, then follow it. You can't go wrong if you follow your heart.

By the way, I am telling you to definitely book the Magic Kingdom Photo Session. I can't tell you how many brides have regretted not spending the money on that photo session. The photos are truly priceless and will be cherished when handed down through the generations (not too many people can claim they had photos taken in front of Cinderella Castle in their wedding attire). If you read my FTW VR Planning Session Trip Report, you probably remember that as soon as I had booked my FTW vow renewal, the next thing I did was book the Magic Kingdom Photo Session. It wouldn't have been a fairy tale anything without a picture of my husband & I in front of a castle. ;)

Follow your heart...

we are celebrating our 20 th anniversary next year and have decided to have something at home and just vacation as a family I would love to have a vow renewal as we had a small wedding, but we don't have the budget for something like this..... :earboy2: so I plan on having some disney details in whatever we decide to do here at home,proably a vow renwal at church with family and friends and a reception afterwards. :love:

Mary Poppins,
We have been toying with having a VR for our 5th anniversary. Our wedding while wonderful ended being baout everyone but ourselves so this time it'll be about us. No attendents, limited guests, and only those people wo mean something to us (meaning no inlaws or extended family). Plus I have already been looking at dresses as I wasn't satisfied with mine, it wa snice but it just wasn't the one (my mom went and ordered it thinking it was 'the one'). We want the MK photo session and extra photography too. A small reception is up in the air. But do what you want to do, no one should judge you as VR are becoming more popular as a reaffirmation of your love and commitment to eachother. :earsboy:

This is my take on vow renewals, and it is just my personal opinion...

I think a vow renewal should be celebrated for what it is. It's not a new bride getting married, it's a celebration of ten years of a wonderful marriage. I always find it just a touch sad that people want to re-live their wedding day rather than celebrate the joy of having made it 10 years (and counting!).

If it were me, I would go for a beautiful dress as eleaborate or simple as I wanted, but not a classic white wedding gown. At that point I wouldn't be a blushing new bride, but a woman who knows what it takes to be successfully married. I would celebrate that with colour. (Plus, you already have pics in a beautiful white dress, now you can get stunning pics in a different dress.)

I also think this is a great way of looking at it:

No attendents, limited guests, and only those people wo mean something to us (meaning no inlaws or extended family).

I would, however, do the Magic Kingdom Photo Session. What a great way to remember your 10 year anniversary!

Congratulations! We just celebrated our 10 year this summer at Disney with an intimate VR at the WP. I, too, couldn't decide what to wear. I have 2 DD and wanted them to have a very speciarl role in the ceremony - well needless to say when they found out they could wear pretty flower girls dresses and look like princesses that is what they wanted - so with that in mind, I choose to wear a wedding dres - that said it was very simple - no train, no veil, no sequins - just a basic to the floor white dress - I did wear a tiara. I love pictures - so I did use an outside photographer and I also got the video (It was a package deal with amagicmoment.com - they did a great job) I didn't think I needed a video - I am so glad we got it - I just love it.

Oh and we did the MK photo shoot and like others have said - you won't regret it and the pictures are priceless!!!

I say go fot it and get as much as you want and can afford.

We were going to do a VR in March to celebrate 5 years together but now have decided to wait until 10 years. It will just be myself and DH in attendance. I do, however, plan on doing the whole thing. I will not have a "traditional" dress but one of color. Either that, or one with color in it. He will be wearing a suit and not a tux like the first time. I will also have a little reception afterwards with the characters. I am also have the Magic Kingdom photo session if it's still around when it's time to book the VR.

So do whatever you want. It's a matter of personal preference.

Mommy Poppins...
I too struggled with the same question. We decided that this about us. Our wants for the day. I know I want a beautiful dress. I don't know yet if it will be a white bridal gown, one of color, or what. But I do know it will be the one that I love because it suits just me, not what is expected by other people for me to wear.
My girls want to wear ball gowns and look like princesses and they will.
Dh and our sons will wear tuxes with mickey mouse vest or cumberbund.
We will do the magic kingdom photo shoot.
We will also host a dinner or dessert firework party.

Our vow renewal is more a celebration of our 15 years together rather than our 10 years of marriage. why? We were very young (16&18; I'm older) when we met and found out 2 monthes later we had a child on the way. He gave me a ring and We committed to each other that day and moved in together. We didn't marry right away because we didn't want to ask our parents to pay for it, we were going to do it ourselves. 5 years later with baby number 3 on the way we asked my minister brother to marry us in my parent's living room. It was only a legality at that point. We felt we already been married in our hearts all those years ago. We have came through some extremely tough times and often didn't think we would make it.
So this vow renewal is to celebrate that we did make it. That after all these years through all the trials and triumphs we are happier than ever, we love each other more than we ever have. And we Now Know that we can make it through anything and we will be together forever.
We will also celebrate the family we created together; our children will be part of the ceremony and stand up there with us .
Dh wants to give me a new wedding ring as part of the ceremony. Mine was damaged and has to be replaced or seriously repaired. But to tell the truth, the more we ring shop, the more I feel attached to my tiny diamond ring set. LOL .

So, it's a personal choice how much is too much. Celebrate yourselves and your marriage, the family you created together, don't worry what other think, make yourselves happy.

Crissy

We are doing our Vow Renewal after 15 years of marriage. We did Jp when I was 16 and he was 19 WE had nothing before the wedding and then after. None of our family was there. So this is kinda like the big one for us. One to say it all over again and one to celebrate the 15 years we have made it through that no one thought we would and to celebrate another 50 year together. My dress as of right now is red and off white more like off white and my dh dont know for sure if it is going to be a suit or a tux. My kids who will be 5 and 6 at the time and boy and girl will either be flower girl or ring man depending on everything and such or our bestman and maid of honor.
We are doing dinner afterwards with the family that comes and MK shoot durning our stay. Then we are have a week family vacation to celebrate it all :)

I still have at lease 2 years to figaure all of this our but that is the game plan :)

I will be married 5 years in 2007. I wanted to have a renewal of our vows at disney, but I dont know how to go about it. I've been to disney 5 times and I am going in Nov. with my girls and their grandparents.

I had a small intimate wedding at home which included 10 people who are dear to me, it wasnt anything expensive which is how I wanted it. But I want to renew our vows and I wanted to do a Land and Sea pacakge. Has anyone done such a thing? I read that someone got married at WS (italy) in Epcot how special!

What are custom weddings like ? I dont want to go overboard on a vow renewal. Can I buy a package according to where I am going to stay + dinning included and add a wedding package to it ? any info would be greatly appreciated THANKS!!

fun2bmomof3, what a wonderful story! Just reading it touched my heart. Will you be able to take your children with you to the MK photoshoot, do you think? Or will that just be the two of you?

My DH and I eloped to WDW. I did not wear white, I wore a coral silk dress. I have had the big wedding just not to the love of my life...

None of my family and friends were there to celebrate my wedding. This time, for our tenth anniversary, we want to do a custom VR with at least most of the trimmings. I have not decided the color of my dress, but I won't be limiting it either. I happen to look best in off-white or ivory and I am leaning toward that. A July VR will be hot and some colors would just be too dark for heat. I also like blush colors.

I think you should have as much fairytale as you would like, Mommy Poppins! I'm sure your DD's will love it :goodvibes

I just wanted to congratulate everyone on their upcoming anniversaries. Congratulations, and I can't wait to hear about all the vow renewals. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter