Volunteer John and the Contemporary Journey! Chapter 13 1/13 - FINAL THOUGHTS / COMPLETE

I'm going to be staying a resort with boat access next year and can't wait (although I doubt I'll be able to see them from my room lying in bed without shoes on! ;))

Sounds like foreshadowing... Guess I should catch up on your report!

CHAPTER SEVEN: HOW LONG WAS THAT?

I entered the Magic Kingdom for the first time on the trip during the day. A part of me was surprised how quickly the Christmas decorations were up, but I then remembered some of the Christmas parade was filming later that week.

20151107_155854.jpg

My friends were currently meeting Mickey, so I decided to walk around and check out Main Street and the Hub. Which is exactly what I did ... I just don't have any photographic evidence of it. :rotfl2:

They came out the the theater, rather excitedly. "I met Mickey, Mr. John!" the three year old exclaimed. :goodvibes

The little ones were "wiped out" according to the decision makers (parents :)), so they felt like they needed to leave the park for a while. They decided to walk to Chef Mickey's and see if we could get a walk up table. I didn't think that would be possible, but I was willing to try with them!

So we set out of the next "Contemporary Journey" :rolleyes1 and after about a 10 minute walk we were there!

20151107_162706.jpg

We got there right a few minutes before 4pm (when the restaurant opened), but the attendant said it would be at least two hours before we could be seated. Since a lot of that crew were hungry (children including adults), someone (was it me?) suggested going back to the resort for Grand Floridian Cafe. This was our original plan but somehow it got scrapped.

20151107_162941.jpg

So we loaded up and saw the queue for the Monorail was very long. A member of the group mentioned no monorails had been running for a while.

So we waited a while (15 minutes?) for the monorails to start back up, and before we knew it we were back at the Grand.

Now, we were trying to determine why the monorails weren't working. Were they being refurbished in the middle of the day? Did a train break down? Is there a security incident?

If you guessed any of the above, you would be wrong.

It was Joe Biden. AGAIN :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

If you remember, Nashville traffic to the airport was a stand still because he had just came through.

Now, he was at the Magic Kingdom or spoke at the Contemporary earlier, I don't honestly remember. All I remembered was "I want him to stop inconveniencing me!!" :rotfl::rotfl:

Anyways, Grand Floridian Cafe had no issue taking us as a walk up, and we all sat down for a great meal. Kids had their dinner, adults had dinner and beer (the burger here is one of my favorite on WDW property), and some of us were able to watch college football on our phones and check scores (it was a Saturday, after all). :drinking1

After dinner, myself, the friends, and the two little ones went back into the MK.

20151107_185947.jpg

We walked towards Adventureland, and the first ride was Magic Carpets. We had a great time, and got soaked big time by one of the spitting camels. :rotfl2::rotfl2: I didn't see it coming at all.

Dole Whips were in order after that, and we were able to sit, eat, finish watching football (Go Vols), and get a game plan together for the rest of the evening. Some of the adults and the kids went back to the hotel after this, which left myself and other adults for fun.

First, Big Thunder Mountain.

20151107_201147.jpg

Then, Haunted Mansion. After HM, we noticed a storm was brewing and it was coming fast. We had SDMT fast passes, that we didn't want to waste so we rode it. I like this ride much better at night, although I don't think the older couple in the cart with us appreciated me rocking the train for the full affect. :)

After getting off the Mine Train, the rain was sprinkling so we thought it may be a good time to head back to the GF. We make it back to the front of the park, and the lines for the Monorails were INSANE. Well, you know how they are if you've left Magic Kingdom after the fireworks or when rain starts. Neither of us were really in the mood to stand in line for the monorail at the Magic Kingdom (snobs :rolleyes1) and there was no boat in sight (we weren't sure it they were running at all :sail:).

It was at this point a Cast Member heard us discussing this and told us if we walked to Contemporary and take the monorail from there, it would be quicker than waiting at MK. We both thought it seemed legit, not like this:

seems-legit-cinderella-inappropriate-caption.jpg

So we started our "Contemporary Journey" and just like earlier, we were there in about 10 minutes and boarding a monorail train not long after that.

Once we arrived at GF, we were walking to our rooms and noticed that Wishes was going on and that it wasn't raining anymore (it actually never got above "sprinkling level", so anyone that stayed at MK that night must have been happy). So we hung out and watched Wishes, which was very nice. So sorry I don't have pictures of this night!

I got in my room, turned on the TV, finished notes for the day while admiring my room. :love: I did notice these were left for me that evening...

20151107_223127.jpg

which were great!

I feel asleep after a wonderful day!

Again, sorry for the lack of pictures!

Next up ... Hollywood!

Thanks for reading, say hello if you haven't yet!

Last edited:
My GF was studying and I was going through your latest update and she took a glimpse and thought you had complementary butter in bed hahaha

:rotfl2: I'm from the South so I love butter (more than I probably should), but even that doesn't sound good.

Your updates are entertaining and informative! Can't wait to read more!

Thanks so much, I'm certainly trying!

I am so jealous about your room. You got to love that pixie dust. I like the card and chocolates they left. Its the little things that really make it all the more special.

you said to comment and say hello, so hello, now to go back and read the rest of what you have posted so far!

Ok...now I have more comments....

I am so glad you said the 3 year old liked the 7DMT, I'm hoping when I take my daughter who will be 2 will be able to ride it and enjoy it!

Also hoping, wishing, praying to see a baby tiger cub end of next year when I go.....seriously if it doesn't happen I might blame the man I never met who said it could happen in his trip report.:rolleyes1

And dang Joe Biden!

SPOILER ALERT: I drank coffee on the balcony the next morning
Nice. As you should, with a view like that.

I'm an only child as well, and I'm sure once you got to WDW you'd forget about being solo.
Maybe some day I will give it a try.

It was Joe Biden. AGAIN
Darn it Joe! That's funny that you sort-of ran into him in Nashville AND Disney.

Also hoping, wishing, praying to see a baby tiger cub end of next year when I go.....seriously if it doesn't happen I might blame the man I never met who said it could happen in his trip report.
I agree with this. BABY KITTIES OR SOMEONE GETS THE HOSE.

:)

The little ones were "wiped out" according to the decision makers (parents :)), so they felt like they needed to leave the park for a while. They decided to walk to Chef Mickey's and see if we could get a walk up table. I didn't think that would be possible, but I was willing to try with them!

A walk up at Chef Mickey's? :rotfl2:

Now, he was at the Magic Kingdom or spoke at the Contemporary earlier, I don't honestly remember. All I remembered was "I want him to stop inconveniencing me!!" :rotfl::rotfl:

Surely Joe realises your vacation is more important than whatever he was doing!

Then, Haunted Mansion. After HM, we noticed a storm was brewing and it was coming fast. We had SDMT fast passes, that we didn't want to waste so we rode it. I like this ride much better at night, although I don't think the older couple in the cart with us appreciated me rocking the train for the full affect. :)

Is it actually any better at night because I really didn't enjoy it during the day time?

I am so jealous about your room. You got to love that pixie dust. I like the card and chocolates they left. Its the little things that really make it all the more special.

It was an incredible pixie dust moment, for sure. Yeah, the chocolate on the pillows reminded me of the cruises!

Good stuff John - still following along!

Thanks, glad to hear I haven't lost ya Chief! :thumbsup2

you said to comment and say hello, so hello, now to go back and read the rest of what you have posted so far!

Welcome Madilynsmommy, thanks for reading and commenting!

I am so glad you said the 3 year old liked the 7DMT, I'm hoping when I take my daughter who will be 2 will be able to ride it and enjoy it!

He loved it! I wish I could post his picture, he has the biggest grin on his face. Hopefully she will be able to enjoy it ... maybe work your way up to it!

Also hoping, wishing, praying to see a baby tiger cub end of next year when I go.....seriously if it doesn't happen I might blame the man I never met who said it could happen in his trip report.:rolleyes1

I agree with this. BABY KITTIES OR SOMEONE GETS THE HOSE.

I think we can band together and make that happen! :duck:

Looks like that baby tiger needs to get here before Avatar or I'm going to lose my ecred and get the hose! :eek:

But if you really just want a baby Disney tiger, might I introduce you to Chandu, from Disney Sea.

tumblr_m8bcqgAtX91qzek9fo1_500.png

And dang Joe Biden!

Darn it Joe! That's funny that you sort-of ran into him in Nashville AND Disney.

Surely Joe realises your vacation is more important than whatever he was doing!

Joe's vacation ruining tyranny must not stand!! I hope I'm not investigated by the NSA for typing this. I mean, Joe's great, he can vacation with me anytime he wants ... as long as I'm in front of him or in his party :thumbsup2

A walk up at Chef Mickey's? :rotfl2:

I know, I thought it was ridiculous at the time too. But I just wanted to spend time with my friends. :goodvibes Plus, I had not been to Chef Mickey's yet and the completion-ist in me wants to eat there some day. Also, I knew since we were getting there right when it opened, that would be the best shot at the walk up. Alas, it was not meant to be and that's ok. :goodvibes

Is it actually any better at night because I really didn't enjoy it during the day time?

Well, I subscribe to the thought that every ride is better at night. But if you didn't like it in the day, night won't change your opinion on it I don't think. We only rode it again because we were using the kid's fast passes.

Looks like that baby tiger needs to get here before Avatar or I'm going to lose my ecred and get the hose! :eek:

But if you really just want a baby Disney tiger, might I introduce you to Chandu, from Disney Sea.

tumblr_m8bcqgAtX91qzek9fo1_500.png

Ok....temper has subsided for now....ecred restored...carry on

CHAPTER EIGHT: NEW CREEPINESS AT THE TOWER OF TERROR

This morning I was headed to MGM (Hollywood) Studios! I don't remember what the other crew was doing, I think they were at Typhoon Lagoon this morning for a more relaxed time. I put on my Mr Toad's Wide Ride shirt...

20150527_090024.jpg

Picture from my Disneyland trip report earlier this year ... link below in signature.

... and I walked towards the bus stop.

20151108_083943.jpg

This is the area where you can watch Wishes at the GF, there are more seats behind me in the picture. It's a great spot ... perhaps I'll be able to show more later. :goodvibes

There was a tiny ledge that I had to step down for this picture, and I stumped my toe on it (I was wearing flip flops) and let out a non-Disney approved four letter word. A lady was sitting eating breakfast and saw the whole thing, so I looked at her and said, "This is a daily occurrence for me." As she was laughing, I continued my way to the bus stop.

Before I knew it, I was at the park!

20151108_090638.jpg

I LOVE this view much more than the big hat / any stage, although it appears the building and theater could use a new paint job.

I didn't have plans to spend a lot of time at MGM this trip. I wanted to hit the big three (Toy Story, Tower of Terror, and Rock in Roller Coaster), Great Movie Ride, I could take or leave Star Tours depending on the wait time...and that was about it.

So, my first order of business was to walk on to Toy Story. My plans had changed so much, I had to shuffle my fast passes and I never could get one for Toy Story. Well, seeing a 95 minute wait at 9:30 AM basically eliminated any thoughts of me riding. To Tower of Terror!

20151108_091702.jpg

amazing this guy had wings on his head!

I rode Tower of Terror stand by back to back, this is probably my favorite ride at Disney World. The theme is immaculate, and the ride is trilling and so much fun. It also helps that single riders usually get called to the front once you get to the boiler room so my wait time is always cut. :thumbsup2 I like Disney World's ToT more than Disneyland's (mostly b/c WDW had random falls, but DL's are all the same), but I think DisneySea's Tower of Terror is just as good if not better than Disney World's. In Japan, Twilight Zone was not a TV show so they had to come up with a brand new story, which was a lot of fun and very fresh.

BUT

I noticed something I have never noticed before on this ride. When you exit the elevator shaft area, but you are still in the ride vehicle, if you look to your right there is an old ventriloquist doll just sitting there. It's hard to see unless you are specifically looking for him. I'm not sure if there is any Twilight Zone episode significance, but as a horror fan that doesn't particularly like dolls (Chucky movies), just seeing it out of the blue was pretty creepy to me.

AND THEN

I saw this doll just hanging out beside the Photopass area.

20151108_102117.jpg

get me out of here

Anyways, since I've mentioned PhotoPass, here are some ride pictures.

upload_2015-12-16_12-13-43.png
middle row far right (you can even see Mr Toad!)

upload_2015-12-16_12-15-16.png
front row middle, again Mr Toad in full sight as well as a mother teaching her princess the "John thumbs up" pose. Plus, the couple on my other side look like they may need therapy.

After two rides on ToT, it was time to check out RnRC.

20151108_102318.jpg

too bad it was closed.

My ToT fast pass came active a few minutes later, so I went back to check in.

upload_2015-12-16_12-18-56.png
I call this my "disappearing John" pose.

So, with ToT x3 under my belt, no RnRC or Toy Story. What was I to do? My FP for Star Tours and Great Movie Ride weren't active yet. I remembered there was a preview for Good Dinosaur in One Man's Dream, so I went to check it out.

Before that, though, I needed to check on the progress of Star Wars Launch Bay.

20151108_103037.jpg

here it is: progress

SIDE NOTE: The drawing classes at Animation Academy was one of my favorite things to do at MGM. I was so sad to hear they went away. I hope that they come back in some capacity at WDW although I am not holding my breath. But, I know that Toy Story Land and Star Wars land are going to be incredible!

20151108_105915.jpg

I eventually made it.

The preview video for Good Dinosaur was ....good? :rotfl:I haven't seen it yet (it released when I was in Peru), but I have plans to see if after Christmas. :thumbsup2 Any readers seen it and care to give it a review? I've heard is it's beautiful, but not Pixar's best story wise.

After the video, what else is there to do? Guess I'll go check out Watto's Grotto.

20151108_110243.jpg

Nothing to see in Watto's Grotto, but I almost bought some Star Wars socks. Riveting details, I know :rotfl2:

I walked through the Streets of America, looking forward to seeing them later tonight lit up!

I eventually made my way to Star Tours.

20151108_111752.jpg

and then lunch at the BackLot

20151108_113909.jpg

Bleh, I should have spent a couple bucks more and got the Cobb Salad at the Brown Derby.

It was time for my Great Movie Ride fastpass, and I really wanted to see what types of changes were made by Turner Classic Movies (TCM). I had read the changes weren't great, but I didn't know if they were really terrible or just people on the DIS being people on the DIS.

This ride is outdated, but I still enjoy it.

20151108_120930.jpg

The changes were the queue video, some of the lines on the ride were now pre recorded, and the end video. Honestly, I didn't think the changes were necessarily better or worse - they were just changes. Which I guess you could say they were refreshing since they weren't worse. :rotfl2:

I decided now was a great time to check out RnRC. My Disney World app said the ride was open, so I made my way there.

The single rider queue was open. good start.

and that's where the good ended.

My wait in the single rider like took about 45 minutes, and the regular line wait was around 60 minutes. I know, I technically shouldn't be complaining, but usually I'm in single rider no more than twenty minutes no matter the posted wait time.

Regardless, eventually I caught my limo and we made it to the Aerosmith show on time.

upload_2015-12-16_12-41-1.png

Eat your heart out, ladies. Apparently, I had a blue powerade right before riding. :rotfl2:

At this point, it was well into the afternoon so it was siesta time at my new home (they can't make me leave the room, can they?)

20151108_133756.jpg

UP NEXT: Back to MGM for the evening!

Thanks again so much for reading!

Had the hardest time playing "Find John" in your first and last ToT picture haha I have never been to WDW, but people tell me all the time its better than DL's ToT. I can't wait to compare the two next year!

It sounds like DHS really needs the updates through the park if there are only so much to do!

The Good Dinosaur is also definitely not my favorite, but my GF and I enjoyed it regardless. We also like the intro short clip. Little different than the typical love troupe shorts.

Had the hardest time playing "Find John" in your first and last ToT picture haha I have never been to WDW, but people tell me all the time its better than DL's ToT. I can't wait to compare the two next year!

It's not like the WDW is head and shoulders better, just slightly better. You'll naturally compare a lot of the rides to the DL counterparts. Of course, DL has their fair share of better rides (my opinion) as well!

It sounds like DHS really needs the updates through the park if there are only so much to do!

They really do, it was a light park to begin with but once they started closing "attractions" to prep for the drastic change coming up it has really affected wait times at the big rides.

The Good Dinosaur is also definitely not my favorite, but my GF and I enjoyed it regardless. We also like the intro short clip. Little different than the typical love troupe shorts.

Good to hear you both enjoyed it. I'm sure I will as well, but it's sandwiched between Inside Out and Finding Dory which doesn't do it any favors!

The winged-head guy cracked me up....it's funny how you can capture pictures that can skew reality.

I LOVE ToT, and actually don't mind that noone in my family likes to ride it because the single rider line is so fast.

I have noticed the doll before, might be the most terrifying part of the ride :)

I love that you still call it MGM (as do I...and it will always be DTD instead of Disney Springs).

I would love to see more of that Wishes spot at the GF...and do they pipe in the music?

I had a hard time finding you in the last ToT picture!

And yes...nice blue tongue! LOL!

I have not seen Good Dinosaur yet either (although we have the med plush Arlo on sale for $10 right now at the store...LOL...and the giant one for $20...yes I worked last night so it is still fresh in my brain!) A coworker went see it with her mom and two daughters (age 10 & 6). She said I should have warned her it was so sad! :confused3 She said her, her mom and the ten year old all cried. So I have been asking guest in the store if they cried if they said they saw the movie and most have answered yes...had no idea. I want to see it, but will probably wait for it to come out on DVD.

It always surprises me how the decorations at WDW change so quickly too! And I know better, and it still surprises me. I will always remember fondly when we literally closed down Magic Kingdom one night...all the things happening were just astonishing...like mowing the grass around the moat at Cinderella's Castle!...yes, we had managers with ear pieces following us out of the park...that was a fun trip!

I so miss staying deluxe and getting turn down service....those little chocolates are so nice! I just like turn down service...wish I could get it at home, lol!

As always, enjoying your report!

I have noticed the doll before, might be the most terrifying part of the ride :)

OK I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I would love to see more of that Wishes spot at the GF...and do they pipe in the music?

They do pipe in the music. I only have one or two pictures, but let's see if I can dig up something else to provide :)

I had a hard time finding you in the last ToT picture!

HAHA, yeah I did too (and I know what I look like). Had to look carefully!

I have not seen Good Dinosaur yet either (although we have the med plush Arlo on sale for $10 right now at the store...LOL...and the giant one for $20...yes I worked last night so it is still fresh in my brain!) A coworker went see it with her mom and two daughters (age 10 & 6). She said I should have warned her it was so sad! :confused3 She said her, her mom and the ten year old all cried. So I have been asking guest in the store if they cried if they said they saw the movie and most have answered yes...had no idea. I want to see it, but will probably wait for it to come out on DVD.

That's kind of surprising to me as well that it's so sad. Guess I should just expect all Pixar movies to be tear jerkers from here on out. Which isn't a bad thing - shows that people are emotionally invested in the characters!

It always surprises me how the decorations at WDW change so quickly too! And I know better, and it still surprises me. I will always remember fondly when we literally closed down Magic Kingdom one night...all the things happening were just astonishing...like mowing the grass around the moat at Cinderella's Castle!...yes, we had managers with ear pieces following us out of the park...that was a fun trip!

Love being the last ones out at Magic Kingdom :thumbsup2

As always, enjoying your report!

Thank you Lynn! I hope you guys aren't too crazy busy at the store! I'll be at the mall tonight, because .... (see below)

Oh, and HAPPY STAR WARS DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!! :yoda::ewok::darth::chewy:

Going to the 10:10pm show tonight at our IMAX theater, and I have three of my best friends growing up coming with me. Going to be a great, fun night! Don't worry, my trip report will be spoiler free :goodvibes

Here are a couple of pics from Star Wars Weekend 2013!

576760_10101452965926525_1733096973_n.jpg
12373264_10103509921007055_5902608154305556958_n_1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter