Volcano Bay waits

These reports are making rethink going on Sunday, what are the odds they'll refund the lounger is reserved?

I honestly think the Virtual Queue is never going to work as UO intended and probably will have to have major tweaks to it. There always need to be a standby line because it fills in the space between the VQ and EP riders. Every time the Tapu reads a wait and there is no one actually riding the slide, that is a major fail on the system. Every time a guest has to sit in the wave pool waiting on a 2 hour queue while other slides are short waits, that is a major fail on the system. UO probably needs to use Tapu like they use the one in the parks that would give you the same wait as the ones in the standby line and then they entered in the express pass line.

There was always a wait even after your virtual queue line wait time was up; return for Krakatu and still waiting in the queue for 30+ minutes

My guess is they'll happily refund you anything at this point. Especially before it's spent.

They were refunding guests all day; for us they gave us express pass unlimited but that's because our cabana was NOT up to standards/finished.

There is literally 2 rivers (one was shut down 1/2 the day) and the wave pool to keep your attention while waiting 2+ hours to return - and then you get in a line and 1/2 the time it broke (50% breakdown on the rides I went on)

Maybe what Universal really wants are park guests just wandering around the park and spending all their time at the several bars around the park while waiting hours for their next slide time.In my opinion every ride/slide should have a regular standby line,just how I mentioned its ridiculous I walk into Universal at 2pm and I'm unable to ride Fallon until 7-8pm this is even more ridiculous to basically be waiting 5-6 hours for a slide and not be able to do anything else,even if it wasn't 5-6 hours,even 2 hours is too much.Honestly just scrap the current system,get ride of Express or limit it by making it super expensive and just go to a Disney style FP reservation system,when you walk into the park and get your tapu tapu you make 2-3 ride selections for different times,if all the times are gone when you get there that's too bad but at least you can walk around and find whatever has the shortest standby lines to get on.I moved to Orlando near the end of the summer last year and I knew I needed a water park AP for this summer and as much as I want to go to this park the Disney water park AP for like $120 for both of their water parks is looking more and more attractive,I've been to them enough times to know I enjoy them and Typhoon Lagoon even got a new family raft ride this year.But like I said this park looks really cool and I'm hoping they fix the issues by August,I'm probably gonna get myself the Disney water park AP's in a week our two and with the chaos at Volcano bay and that if I upgrade my preferred pass to include VB I'm blacked out of VB all of July anyways,if they can fix their issues by August I'll still add on VB but if they don't I'll pass.

At least with Disney's FP, if you can't get one, 1. you can always just jump into the standby line and 2. aren't out in the heat wearing a swimsuit all day and can go do something air conditioned. Having virtual queues on waterpark rides makes absolutely no sense at all, and it's a shame they've totally botched up the opening day of a much anticipated park.

My guess is they'll happily refund you anything at this point. Especially before it's spent.

DH is really excited about this park, he wants us to give it a chance.

They were refunding guests all day; for us they gave us express pass unlimited but that's because our cabana was NOT up to standards/finished.

There is literally 2 rivers (one was shut down 1/2 the day) and the wave pool to keep your attention while waiting 2+ hours to return - and then you get in a line and 1/2 the time it broke (50% breakdown on the rides I went on)
if we can't ride more than one ride and the rivers are shut down I'll be requesting a refund.

I really hope we don't waste our day, that would be the worst part.

At least with Disney's FP, if you can't get one,

just quoting that for reference.

It's not a fastpass.

People seem to consider the VQ as a fastpass. But VQ is merely a Standby line.

Ok let's make it simple :

You arrive in front of Forbidden Journey, it's 90 minutes. If you decide to go in, you know it will be 90 minutes standing in line, slowly moving, with not much to do except look at things you know by heart, in semi darkness
Now you arrive in front of any VB ride, and the tiki says return in 90 minutes. If you decide to go in, you'll actually *walk* into that line. And we all know you can't be in 2 lines at the same time. Once you're in a line, you're in a line.

Some rides have interactive queues, where you can interact with stuff. VB has a parkwide interactive queue for each ride.

But to understand VQ, one needs to remember that it's not a Fastpass. Using the VQ means you're actually waiting in line. And when you're in line, you can't ride another ride, no matter where, no matter when.

Now, some say it's a shame to only be able to get 1 or 2 rides during a day, because of the ridiculous wait times
let's just remember the opening days/weeks of the HP lands (among others) when rides where like 6hrs to get on. Those who chose to enter those lines were not able to do much more than a couple of rides during the day.

Here again, the VQ is actually a standby line, except you can spend your wait time elsewhere

Actually, that's kind of the same system people on the disability programs use everyday. (I do). Be able to spend our waiting in line outside of the line.

Last edited:

It's not a fastpass.

You arrive in front of Forbidden Journey, it's 90 minutes. If you decide to go in, you know it will be 90 minutes standing in line, slowly moving, with not much to do except look at things you know by heart, in semi darkness
Now you arrive in front of any VB ride, and the tiki says return in 90 minutes. If you decide to go in, you'll actually *walk* into that line. And we all know you can't be in 2 lines at the same time. Once you're in a line, you're in a line.

Some rides have interactive queues, where you can interact with stuff. VB has a parkwide interactive queue for each ride.

But to understand VQ, one needs to remember that it's not a Fastpass. Using the VQ means you're actually waiting in line. And when you're in line, you can't ride another ride, no matter where, no matter when.

Now, some say it's a shame to only be able to get 1 or 2 rides during a day, because of the ridiculous wait times
let's just remember the opening days/weeks of the HP lands (among others) when rides where like 6hrs to get on. Those who chose to enter those lines were not able to do much more than a couple of rides during the day.

Here again, the VQ is actually a standby line, except you can spend your wait time elsewhere

Actually, that's kind of the same system people on the disability programs use everyday. (I do). Be able to spend our waiting in line outside of the line.

This isn't remotely like the disability pass. That pass is essentially like the old unlimited FP system, and your return time is almost always reduced from the posted time. The disability pass, especially Universal's, is incredible.

J

The point is being able to wait outside of the line. i'm not even remotely arguing about time or how long it take when you get a DAS or AAP time.
I'm only talking about the ability to spend my wait time in a place of my choosing, rather than having to wait in a physical line.

In that sense it's quite similar to a VQ. Do the wait time, but don't do the line.

There was always a wait even after your virtual queue line wait time was up; return for Krakatu and still waiting in the queue for 30+ minutes
Now that is screwed up, if I went through that my next stop would be guest services and I would be absolutely steamed. Reports of a 2 hour wait time with no one in line, that I understand- that's the point. No waiting once your time is up or like a 5-10 min wait you know just to keep things moving steady on the ride. But to then wait 30+ mins?!

I had no idea, but I did no research just saw ads, that EP is allowed in this park. That was stupid, it's too unpredictable for a brand new system. They need to calculate very accurately how many people these virtual cues can handle; theoretically I guess they could get the math done but in practice it sounds like that is an added level of complexity to be figured out after they learn how to do the virtual cue itself.

The tiering system y'all mention (ala Disney) sounds smart, cue a long ride wait and then cue the lower tier stuff so you have something to do for 6 hours. That might help them fix a lot of their issues.

I was really excited from what I'd seen of the park, and especially about the virtual cue system. I hope they get their stuff together and fix the system instead of abandoning it all together.

The point is being able to wait outside of the line. i'm not even remotely arguing about time or how long it take when you get a DAS or AAP time.
I'm only talking about the ability to spend my wait time in a place of my choosing, rather than having to wait in a physical line.

In that sense it's quite similar to a VQ. Do the wait time, but don't do the line.

The problem is that it sounds good on paper, but in reality, it just doesn't work. Especially having EP in addition. You end up with too many people returning at the same time, and rides breaking down, and a line builds up regardless.

It says a lot that water parks have been successfully operating for decades using standby lines. Why mess with a system that isn't broken?

If Tapu Tapu wants to succeed, it needs to essentially work like Fastpass or the DAS and give people a strict return window (like 15 min). Eliminate Express Pass (which just undermines the VQ system). If people tap and are given a specific time to return, and they allocate those return times in such a way that capacity is taken into account, it will work. The problem is these open ended "X minute wait" times that continuously ebb and flow. And, frankly, the rides being "down" is an embarrassment. Water park tech is not that complicated. I cannot recall ever being at a water park and experiencing NUMEROUS attraction closures within a day. That just points to shoddy construction or lack of experience/testing. We are talking about water pumps and conveyor belts here...hardly complicated stuff. The water coaster being down is understandable because it is new technology. But, a lazy river and body slides being down? Unacceptable.

Go a little south and do this...
54F0D881-92FF-4CF2-9817-78F924CE9F7C_zps2tgdszlf.png

The biggest issue with Volcano Bay (besides so much not being finished) was the inability to ride any other ride outside of the rivers (again one was down 1/2 the day and the other one the interactive features were not working) and wave pool until your wait time for whatever ride was up.

At Disney I can go stand in another line for say a less thrilling experience until my return time. AND I usually don't have to worry that the rides will break down constantly.

Krakatu was down at least 6 times yesterday (I was in line one time as it broke down) and when son had signed up for virtual que he was notified 5 times that krakatu was not running on his tapu.

The ride times were also jumping up even after you had your wait time.

Folks who paid for Express for Volcano Bay also had to deal with the breakdowns; once in line queue it was a toss up if ride would breakdown - odds were high it would prior to getting on the ride.

The key to getting on most rides, as long as they are running, go very early before park even opens, be at front of the line and go straight to the most requested rides.

It's not a fastpass.

No, most people understand its a standby line. They just also understand its a flawed system especially at a water park.

First, lets take your simple example. You tap at FJ and it gives you a 90 minute wait time. You figure you have time to run to Suessland and grab some green eggs and ham for lunch. You just sit down to eat and your Tapu ends up telling you to head over because the line is going quicker. You have two options. Either throw the meal in the trash because you want to ride FJ or just say screw it and not ride and eat.

Also, water slides are the worse capacity rides on the planet. If there is not someone waiting at the entry point for the life guard to give the go ahead, its a major fail. There were several reports yesterday of working rides having no one ready to ride but having long waits. You can say its because its open day and they need to tweak but the solution is going to have to be having a 10-15 minute wait line after the Tapu tells you to show up. Your 40 minute wait is almost an hour now.

That scenario also gets worse in slow periods. The Tapu might say its 10 minutes when the real wait time is 5 minute(because you do know that wait times have a 0% accuracy). That is going to cause gaps in the rides and you may have just cut your ride capacity in half.

With the current system, OU is going to have a lifetime of bad PR. A new standby line system is going to take a lot of training of visitors on how it actually works. Many guests to Orlando are one and done visitors and are going to go back home telling friends how awful the VB system is as they hung around waiting while "nobody was in line".

Well at the end of the day, this advice is also valid for any other theme park ...

As long as they are running

Not sure what is supposed to entertain you when you are waiting for your time, you can't walk on to most other rides, and what you can walk on to isn't even up and running (neither river was running the first 1-2 hours yesterday); oh an most of the interactive items aren't up and running; 40 minute+ wait for food is what was being reported as well.

At the end of the day yes it's going to be busy - but nothing more frustrating then "basking" in the sun, waiting for your 2+ hour return time, hoping the rivers open up, then when getting into your queue the ride breaking down 3 times (happened to me on one ride - 3 times after I entered the physical que - waited 45 minutes because of slow load times coupled with it breaking down 3 times).

So while the advice to go early is great for any theme park - Universal really needs to step up and take responsibility for opening an unfinished park at full capacity (two life guards I talked to stated they shouldn't have opened as soon as they did with full capacity).

Universal really has been "greedy" in my view of this park opening - I purchased a cabana awhile ago and ended up with an unfinished cabana next to the air compressors and highway (not an exaggeration when I state we had to yell to talk to each other) - $450.00 + tax is not something to pay lightly for a cabana with holes in the roof, technology that didn't work (I couldn't even turn the fan on), and quite a bit of stumped workers (I felt so bad for them - they were thrown to the wolves without a lot of training).

First, lets take your simple example. You tap at FJ and it gives you a 90 minute wait time. You figure you have time to run to Suessland and grab some green eggs and ham for lunch. You just sit down to eat and your Tapu ends up telling you to head over because the line is going quicker. You have two options. Either throw the meal in the trash because you want to ride FJ or just say screw it and not ride and eat.

Actually - once your ride time was called you had the option to go back anytime after that. Son didn't go onto Krakatu until almost 90 minutes after it said he could ride because of the lovely guest services "ride" queue line we stood in for an hour to get our "complimentary express passes".

Such a fiasco

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter