VMK "religions" in signatures

Saxsoon said:
Actually it is drunkeness that the Bible says is sinful because you are losing control of your actions which could lead you to do something you will regret. In the Bible body is considered to be the Temple of God and our souls are the caretakers, ( I think that is right, if I am wrong please correct me ) and if we lose control it is like the janitor taking the night off. Sorry that went off topic! :goodvibes

ACTUALLY.... the word for "wine" and the word for "grape juice" in ancient Greek are the same.
And in any case, in biblical times the only choice they had was do drink fermented fluids, because they had no form of refrigeration. We have a choice, and Jesus was never drunk... :thumbsup2

Back on topic..........

The signatures bring people together the same way "I heart Fall Out Boy" sigs do. When my sig says "I know the King of Kings" my purpose is to meet other believers, not offend anyone or force anyone into my belief system.

HeDiedxILive said:
ACTUALLY.... the word for "wine" and the word for "grape juice" in ancient Greek are the same.
And in any case, in biblical times the only choice they had was do drink fermented fluids, because they had no form of refrigeration. We have a choice, and Jesus was never drunk... :thumbsup2

Back on topic..........

The signatures bring people together the same way "I heart Fall Out Boy" sigs do. When my sig says "I know the King of Kings" my purpose is to meet other believers, not offend anyone or force anyone into my belief system.

The thing about the fermented fluids I have heard, but wasn't sure if that was true.

Haha, I have never heard Cheese us before!

oh and I am a walking bill board to be banned then as I have Dis and a religious signature on VMK. lol

Saxsoon said:
Actually it is drunkeness that the Bible says is sinful because you are losing control of your actions which could lead you to do something you will regret. In the Bible body is considered to be the Temple of God and our souls are the caretakers, ( I think that is right, if I am wrong please correct me ) and if we lose control it is like the janitor taking the night off. Sorry that went off topic! :goodvibes
I'm completely aware of that. Which is why I personally have no problems with drinking alcohol (in moderation). But I have family and friends who are Christian who believe that drinking Any alcohol is against their beliefs. And that includes wine.

HeDiedxILive said:
Yes. And wine is nothing but fermented grape juice. So that is what they drank. In many cases, it was actually safer than drinking the water (considering everything they did in it).
But my point is that they drank wine, which has alcohol, and seen no religious problems with it. Jesus didn't get drunk because he chose to drink it in moderation. I'm not saying that I approve of going out and getting drunk every night. In fact I don't approve of it. And though I drink on occasion, I have not been drunk in more than 10 years.
So, I can not understand why some Christians don't approve of drinking any alcohol. Jesus drank wine without getting drunk. Why can't we? But, I respect that some believe that way and generally I choose not to drink around those people. But it also does not make either of us less Christian. We just happen to believe slightly differently. :)

Saxsoon said:
Haha, I have never heard Cheese us before!
My 12 yr old had to point it out to me. I don't know if I never saw it or just didn't get it. I think I commented on the first religious sig I saw to him and he said 'oh yeah there's a lot of 'em.' , then read off a couple when he ran across them. I'm still trying to figure out the tag fairy thing. :rolleyes:

FYI :thumbsup2 Cheese Us Greets Us open in my room on Fri at 7:30 am vmk time (1/2 hour after it opens) for those who'd like to meet in vmk and add to your friend's list this way.
Search Caribbean_Gal or, if they allow it, the bold type as a room title. I'll keep it open for about a half hour or longer if there's interest. :dance3:

caribbound said:
FYI :thumbsup2 Cheese Us Greets Us open in my room on Fri at 7:30 am vmk time (1/2 hour after it opens) for those who'd like to meet in vmk and add to your friend's list this way.
Search Caribbean_Gal or, if they allow it, the bold type as a room title. I'll keep it open for about a half hour or longer if there's interest. :dance3:

Because this room will be going against the vmk values, I suggest you be very careful. You will be walking a thin, tight line that has that high risk of snapping. You don't want to get banned...

I understand and I am not accusing you teddie. Alcohol is just not my thing, I live in a border town so I see the affects a lot around me in school. Someone I was talking too in class said he almost died from alcohol poisioning and still goes and drinks. I don't agree with underage drinking at all.

But I do see where you are coming from Teddie and it just another one of those things that is misinterpreted in the bible.

I can understand not giving out personal info, but isn't religion and political bans also treading a fine line of freedom of speech and religion. Note: I do not agree with the fighting, just level headed debates among friends and signatures

Saxsoon said:
I can understand not giving out personal info, but isn't religion and political bans also treading a fine line of freedom of speech and religion. Note: I do not agree with the fighting, just level headed debates among friends and signatures
Actually, since it is a site that is owned and run by them, they set the rules.
You can go out and speak whatever is on your mind on your local street corner and it would be against the law for them to arrest you and put you in jail becuase of it. Unless, of course, you're talking about plotting a terrorist action. ;)
But, if what you are saying or doing in VMK is a major disruption and causes fights (which politics and religion can do), then they have every right to ban you from ever using the site again.

I think you misunderstand me. When someone goes around doing that whole inferno and brimstone act, seriously throw that person out. But what about all those things that say "I know the King of Kings" or "I glove Cheese us". My signature has never started any fights, and I have made several friends through that sig.

I am sorry if it sounds like I am picking on you. I really enjoy talking about one's beliefs and how they are percieved in today's society.

Loves Disney said:
Because this room will be going against the vmk values, I suggest you be very careful. You will be walking a thin, tight line that has that high risk of snapping. You don't want to get banned...
Caribbean_Gal does not want to get banned if it's going to be for any length of time, like more than a week. :sad2: TrishaDiva wouldn't mind since I don't care for that name anyway. I may have to come up with a more discreet room title. It's not like we're holding church, just an organized time to meet to get on one another's friends lists so we can meet up again in the vast world of vmk.

Saxsoon said:
I think you misunderstand me. When someone goes around doing that whole inferno and brimstone act, seriously throw that person out. But what about all those things that say "I know the King of Kings" or "I glove Cheese us". My signature has never started any fights, and I have made several friends through that sig.

I am sorry if it sounds like I am picking on you. I really enjoy talking about one's beliefs and how they are percieved in today's society.
I don't feel like I'm being picked on. :)

I'm not saying take out the signatures. I've even said I don't mind them. But, VMK does have a right to make their own rules and enforce them. And if they do find that some people are starting fights over them, then they might start banning for them.
And some people are extremely sensitive and/or argumentative about religion and politics. Haven't you heard about people in the workplace suing others for leaving voice mails saying "have a blessed day"? It has happened.

cteddiesgirl said:
I don't feel like I'm being picked on. :)

I'm not saying take out the signatures. I've even said I don't mind them. But, VMK does have a right to make their own rules and enforce them. And if they do find that some people are starting fights over them, then they might start banning for them.
And some people are extremely sensitive and/or argumentative about religion and politics. Haven't you heard about people in the workplace suing others for leaving voice mails saying "have a blessed day"? It has happened.
Ok good, I am glad I wasn't coming off like that. But seriously "Have a blessed day." Wow. :guilty:

Saxsoon said:
Ok good, I am glad I wasn't coming off like that. But seriously "Have a blessed day." Wow. :guilty:
Yes. A couple years ago, that happened.
I also had a co-worker who had that on her voice mail and whenever she left a voice mail for others, she would say that.
There was a complaint made so she had to stop saying it or they might be sued. :(

So I can understand why VMK might have rules about this kind of thing.

I have tried to stay out of this thread for the most part, but I really need to make one point. I am certainly not looking to offend anyone or challenge anyone's beliefs. I believe that you should believe what you choose, so long as it does not hurt anyone else.

Now my point -
As much as having something like: "He died for you so you could live." or "I know the King of Kings" in one's signature can unite players, do people also understand that it can alienate players?

If that is the one comment someone has chosen to express themselves, it can be reasoned that this is of strong importance to this person. Someone such as myself, who does not believe those statements to be true, might feel awkward from reading those statements.

By holding a room gathering of players that believe these statements, or simply Christianity, I would be excluded. VMK is not about making people feel excluded. Now, we may get along great, play pirates well together, and help each other get great trades - but we would never find out due to the self-selection filtering of "I know the King of Kings."

Please understand that you could be alienating someone who could otherwise become your best vmk friend - simply because they do not believe the same as you when it comes to religion.

With respect to everyone,
Disney Dreams

I don't really have any sympathy for the girl who had to delete her 'blessed' message, if she wants to have a greeting which everyone can feel warmed and welcomed by, she could choose something more universal...
I'm an atheist, but I don't think religion is stupid or silly.
But still, I don't see how mentioning your religion in anyway on a virtual game for kids is good, and as jegrezo said, it will probably just alienate people, which from my understanding is hardly Christian.

Saxsoon said:

Mildly interesting side note: The word "blessed" as it is used in scripture and in early English translations of the Christian Bible is translated from this word in the original language - "Happy."

Have a Happy Day,

Sometimes I feel that freedom of speech is only ok when Jesus is left out of it. There is such a fine line...

Cruise, thanks for that enlightening post, lol

But Allah and Buhhda and all the other religions are allowed to be brought up in speech. It seems kind of odd you only mentioned Jesus and not religion as a whole. It does seems that way though, talk all you want about religion, but not Christianity.

Saxsoon said:
Cruise, thanks for that enlightening post, lol

But Allah and Buhhda and all the other religions are allowed to be brought up in speech. It seems kind of odd you only mentioned Jesus and not religion as a whole. It does seems that way though, talk all you want about religion, but not Christianity.

Seems like plenty of things that have to do with Christianity are double-standard now days.

In schools, Christians are not permitted to publicly pray because it may offend others... say, a Muslim, or a Jew, or a Hindu, or an Atheist, or a whatever, etc.

But, the Muslim/Jew/Hindu/Atheist/whatever/etc. is allowed to openly practice their religion, because this is a free country, and we have to allow them to, as to not offend them.

Hmmm......

And as far as alienating people... we don't mean to. Everyone is welcome! Open up a "Fall Out Boy Fans" room! If it is not of your interests, then.. who cares? You wouldn't. You would just pass by it, not thinking "how rude, I am not included," but just finding something you enjoy more to do. If you want to come in, then come in! We accept everyone!

It is not like that they would say " Get out you no Cross ty on!" But really, I don't like Taken, so I steer away from those rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter