VMK "religions" in signatures

Cpt.JackSpearow

When Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures A
Why do people put like, I am goth so deal with it or I believe in JC so you should to. I think it is something that should be cancelled out of the VMK dctionary because I see people get in fights over there religion in a room or something. I see goth clubs and other rooms to do witht his stuff. I think it is begining to be another problem in VMk because everyone is starting to do it and everyone is getting in fights.

What do you think :confused3

It's true... and nanoer ought to learn to not trick people into saying the craziest, dumbest stuff. ;)

OT: nanoer, where's my quote: "I'm not a cheikn, I'm a chicken."

Same here. VMK is supposed to be about fun and hanging out with friends, but a lot of time all I see is people fighting with each other.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you....but as far as I know being a Goth is not a religion.

I don't think there is any problem in it at all. We already have to seperate church and school... why should we have to serperate it in a game??? It is just a game. If people want it in their signature to show what they believe in let them. If people start fighting about it, report it and put them on ignore. And ok... so say they decide to take out the religious stuff, PEOPLE ARE JUST GOING TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO FIGHT ABOUT ANYWAYS. In all reality, the fighting probably has nothing to do with the differences in religions at all to begin with, just some smarty pants wanting to cause problems because it is "cool" or the "fun" thing to do.

And yes... goth isn't a religion, just a lifestyle/community like hip hop, punk, etc.

Maleficent2 said:
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you....but as far as I know being a Goth is not a religion.

Actually Mal, it is. To be gothic is to worship a different style of living or culture. Very limited times, goth is considered a form a satanism. Unlike your typical religon, gothic worship isn't often held in congregation but sometimes done more privetly. Due to the nature and stereotype of gothics wearing black and other "dark" symbols, it more times than not, implys a worship of the devil. However, because "goth" can be worshiped in SO many different ways, it is certainly not limited to that stereotype. I for one, do not agree with this religon but that is totally besides the point lol.

I have no opinion on whether it can be said in vmk because I have not thought about it, to be honest lol.

Loves Disney said:
Actually Mal, it is. To be gothic is to worship a different style of living or culture. Very limited times, goth is considered a form a satanism. Unlike your typical religon, gothic worship isn't often held in congregation but sometimes done more privetly. Due to the nature and stereotype of gothics wearing black and other "dark" symbols, it more times than not, implys a worship of the devil. However, because "goth" can be worshiped in SO many different ways, it is certainly not limited to that stereotype. I for one, do not agree with this religon but that is totally besides the point lol.

I have no opinion on whether it can be said in vmk because I have not thought about it, to be honest lol.

EDIT TO ADD:
While the percentage of Goth being used as an actual religon is VERY uncommon (most people dress and look Gothic because it is quickly becoming a fad), it still exsists.

Source: Gothic Religon

Actually...

History and background
...The words Goth and Gothic have had many, largely unrelated meanings in the past.
The name of the Germanic Visigoth tribes that overthrew the Roman Empire. From this source arose the concept of a Goth as an uncivilized person, a barbarian.
...a style of architecture in Western Europe which was popular from the 12th to the 16th century.
...a style of horror/mystery literature that is dark, eerie and gloomy.
...Goth, as a modern movement, started as one component of the punk rock scene. As the latter faded, Goth survived by creating its own subculture.
...The first use of the term Goth in its present meaning is believed to have been on a British Broadcasting Commission (BBC) TV program. Anthony H. Wilson, manager of Joy Division described the band as Gothic compared with the pop mainstream. The name stuck.
...Their use of black clothing was originally "something of a backlash to the colorful disco music of the seventies." It also stuck.
....The movement first became established in the Batcave, a nightclub in London, England, in the early 1980's.
....Spreading to the U.S., it first became popular in California.
....Goth is featured in The Crow horror movies (1994, 1996). Other Gothic movies are the original Nosferatu, the color remake Nosferatu the Vampyre, and the Cabinet of Doctor Caligari.
....Popular music bands are the Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Sisters of Mercy, Dead Can Dance, and many others.

Many Goths reflect popular culture and are probably nominal or devout Christians. Atheism, Agnosticism, the New Age, Gnosticism, Shamanism, Wicca, other Neopagan traditions, and other minority faith groups are represented more frequently than in the general population.

Goths often wear Christian crosses or Christian crucifixes, which many regard as a pre-Christian religious symbol. Others wear New Age/ancient Egyptian Ankh symbols. Some do this as expression of their religious beliefs, some for satire, and others because they like their appearance.

AlienNation said:
And yes... goth isn't a religion, just a lifestyle/community like hip hop, punk, etc.

This is correct
Goth or the Gothic lifestyle is CULTURE not a religion.

i don't think there is a problem with it in signatures. i am proud of my faith and i am not ashamed to show it.

what i DO disagree with is the arguing.

although mine does say "i know the King of Kings", i have not come across any problems with anyone. the only responses i get are "hey i know the King of Kings, too!" or "i heart your profile!"

it is nice to be able to befriend people who share a same main interest as i.

Alrighty then! lol. Goth isn't a religon. Man...all those people who told me it was have a lot of "esplanin'" to do! Lol. Thanks guys for informing me it wasn't... :thumbsup2 lol.

Loves Disney said:
EDIT TO ADD:
While the percentage of Goth being used as an actual religon is VERY uncommon (most people dress and look Gothic because it is quickly becoming a fad), it still exsists.

Source: Gothic Religon

Actually, the site you linked to states directly that it is not a religion... The opening paragraphs on the site:

There is no set belief system for Goths, although many seem to be agnostic. A person's religion and his or her gothic involvement have little to no affect on each other. Christians, atheists, Jews, agnostics, Satanists, pagans, and so forth are all represented within Goth. While there is an incredibly wide variety of religious beliefs and views, most Goths do not follow any sort of organized religion. Their personal spiritual beliefs are of a private nature.

Gothic is a fairly open-minded culture when it comes to exploring anything that is "not of the norm." Religion is no exception. Many Goths are likely to explore alternative religions and forms of spirituality rather than following a dominant organized religion. Some find paganism and Wicca to be appealing.

Here's a question for you -

I have seen Christmas trees and many different colors of wreaths, but nothing for Channukah? Did VMK have anything at all for Channukah last year? If so - I would heart know - never seen it.

(And yes, I realize there are other religions that do not celebrate either, I am just asking about Channukah. :) )

-Jegrezo

PeachyT, I took it the parahgraph meaning more that it was a lesser common religon. It was my misreading (sometimes happens at 11 at night lol). But I understand I was wrong and made that mention in the post above. I am sorry it the post upset anyone...I should not be trying to read and understand things so late at night lol.

There was a Star of Mickey Pin. But I think that's all they had for Channukah.
Which is strange considering that Yavn's name is taken from Hebrew. :confused3

Loves Disney said:
PeachyT, I took it the parahgraph meaning more that it was a lesser common religon. It was my misreading (sometimes happens at 11 at night lol). But I understand I was wrong and made that mention in the post above. I am sorry it the post upset anyone...I should not be trying to read and understand things so late at night lol.

It didn't upset me, I knew goth wasn't a religion but, I actually did a google search on the topic and found the page before you posted it. When I saw you posted the page, I wanted people who didn't follow your link to see what the page actually said.

Disney Dreams said:
Here's a question for you -

I have seen Christmas trees and many different colors of wreaths, but nothing for Channukah? Did VMK have anything at all for Channukah last year? If so - I would heart know - never seen it.

(And yes, I realize there are other religions that do not celebrate either, I am just asking about Channukah. :) )

-Jegrezo

I think there was just the pin, but there were some pretty creative people in celebrating the holiday. I think there's a pic of Briar's room somewhere on here... boy how I loved going in there and sitting next to her while she cooked for us! :)

I have no problem with people posting their belief in their signatures. That is what is there for. I do have a problem with people fighting over it. Everyone is entitled to their own belief. Disney has always made it a point to keep religion out out the business (read the Gospel According to Disney book). This was a very wise business decision. As long as we all agree to keep the peace and act nice :)

I really don't see a problem, heck it is there belief, and this is america and vmk is base in america. Don't we have freedom of religion some where?
though vmk may not be the best place to express it, but if they want to go right ahead...
Heck, if you want to create your own religon it is not hard....
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary said:
Religion:
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

by this definition, you just need a superhuman, lets say yavn for instence, get people (or you can have your own private religion) to believe he is a superhuman or god, base by facts from history, of course. Boom! you have a religion! the vmk religion...

But many use goth as a style, dress in black and sort i kinda went through that phase but no so dark...i really don't want to talk about, kinda bad times... why do i say things?...

PeachyT said:
I think there was just the pin, but there were some pretty creative people in celebrating the holiday. I think there's a pic of Briar's room somewhere on here... boy how I loved going in there and sitting next to her while she cooked for us! :)

Yes, the Star of Mickey pin was the only Hanukkah item out there.
And Tea, I'll always make potato latkes (pan cakes LOL) for you anytime!
The picture of my room was taken before VMK decided to change the
crate dimensions, too. :rolleyes:

I still have my room basically unchanged, but I added a couple gold ropes
to keep kids from playing with the "candles" on the menorah. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter