Visiting WDW after cruise?

I get more depressed having to leave the ship then having to leave the parks. Going to the parks helps make it better; still sad no cruise but happy for more Disney magic times :)

This is how I am also... its easier to go home after I'm exhausted from the parks rather than feel like I still want to run around too.

This is how I am also... its easier to go home after I'm exhausted from the parks rather than feel like I still want to run around too.
Exactly, I would rather get exhausted from the parks and WANT to go home instead of being pried away from the vacation. That happened to us on our Panama Canal cruise that ended in Florida with a few days at the parks after, we were just ready to go home.

As someone who loves both WDW and DCL equally, I say definitely do the cruise and then WDW. Three nights is a nice way to get your feet wet, so to speak, and see if you even like cruising. Plus, you can (hopefully) get some character meets in on the cruise so you don't need to focus on that at WDW.

We have done all three…
3-nights on the Wonder then 8 nights at WDW,
4 nights at WDW then 4 on the Dream and another 2 at WDW,
and 4 nights at WDW then 7 nights on the Fantasy.

While I prefer to do WDW then cruise, we just do whatever works best with the cruise and our schedules. Plus, since the 3-night cruise is sooooo short, you're still ready for a vacation and it's fun to have WDW to look forward to after.

April is one of my favorite times of the year at WDW :flower:

We have done the cruise first and the parks after.

We loved it that way. We actually went against the normal advice on these forums to go to the parks first and then onto the cruise.

The best thing was our kids saw all the Disney characters they wanted to see ... and mom and dad got all the photos we wanted with Disney characters that we didn't have to worry about ANY of that in the parks. So we had more time to explore the parks and didn't have to "waste" any Fast passes for character meet and greets in the parks. My daughter already had multiple pictures and interactions with the Frozen crew ... that we skipped all that in the parks.

I get more depressed having to leave the ship then having to leave the parks. Going to the parks helps make it better; still sad no cruise but happy for more Disney magic times :)
I absolutely agree with you!!! I am in no mood to get off the ship in the morning, and then go get on a plane. Heading off the parks Post-Cruise absolutely helps! It is the only way I would do it in the future.

I absolutely agree with you!!! I am in no mood to get off the ship in the morning, and then go get on a plane. Heading off the parks Post-Cruise absolutely helps! It is the only way I would do it in the future.
Yeah! I wasn't able to do that on our transatlantic coming into NYC because we already spent more money on the front end to explore England, so after the cruise we just had to pack up and go to the airport for home and not Disney :( It was sad and not fun.

WDW then DCL then WDW

the ONLY WAY TO TRAVEL

p.s. -- ONLY IF TIME AND $$$$$ permits :duck:

THIS! We really want to do something like this... if not, then I have to say it’s more appealing to me to do cruise first, parks second. I know parks are busier, but to me the morning the cruise gets back and having to head to the airport is the worst. I always looked with envy at the Disney buses heading to the resorts when we were debarking. Also, while it will be different for the adults, the kids may actually find the pace of the cruise too slow following the parks. Since the OP cruise will be short and they are staying at the deluxe Poly with easy access to at least MK and Epcot, the order here doesn’t make that much of difference.
I would do whatever I could make work, but I prefer WDW second. I know, I’m a minority haha. Seriously though, love this idea of WDW first, cruise second and end at WDW. Just to dream a bit, what lenght/resort, cruise would you recommend here if you had let’s say 10 days, what about 14 days if it was around Christmas time.

Only comment about cruise then parks.

On the cruise, pretty much all the snacks are included. (Except movie theater popcorn/candy).

My kids are accustomed to the idea of "I want a snack, I wander over to the counter and get it". No problems with third on ice cream, for example. That attitude makes transitioning to the parks either difficult or expensive.

Yes! OP you might want to consider getting plenty of Mickey ice cream bars while on the ship. :lovestruc
You can get them for dessert at dinner, though not on the menu, and also through room service.

That is another adjustment for your family: most room service items are included in cruise fare but it's very expensive at the resorts.
By 7 or 8, our younger ds had no problem picking up the phone and ordering a Mickey bar through room service shortly after getting to our cabin. :laughing:

Yes! OP you might want to consider getting plenty of Mickey ice cream bars while on the ship. :lovestruc
You can get them for dessert at dinner, though not on the menu, and also through room service.

That is another adjustment for your family: most room service items are included in cruise fare but it's very expensive at the resorts.
By 7 or 8, our younger ds had no problem picking up the phone and ordering a Mickey bar through room service shortly after getting to our cabin. :laughing:
I agree with this, we usually get the dining plan at WDW which makes it feel almost all inclusive. It’s entirely too much food but it so convenient and prepaid. I wonder when the dining plan will return....

In answer to your question of exhaustion. Three-NIGHT cruises fly. It seems you are repacking your bags to leave just as you settle in. I have not come back from a cruise tired. Any length of cruise. Wanting more after the 3-N. I emphasize the word Night, as it’s just two full days. Boarding day is getting to know lay of the land / feel of the ship. And three days at WDW never seem too tiring, if you know how to go at a reasonable pace.

That said, how does your family do on a week-long vacation? That’s what this comes down to.

Your kids may spend all there free time in the Kids’ Clubs onboard - or be looking to you for entertainment.

I do not look to the ship for pool time. Too many kids in a very small space. You would be better off picking a WDW resort with a decent pool - and using it for your midday break from the parks.

Do your kids really like to be surprised? At the last moment? I love the thinking about it. Although right now, with COVID, maybe waiting until it’s truly a reality, maybe waiting to tell them is better than the let-down of cancelling.

How exciting that your children have grandparents who have been together so long. And want to take the family on a vacation to celebrate. I don’t think they planned to mess with your plans when they picked their wedding? :) I wouldn’t mind having this trip as a memory - it might be more important for them than the kids.

And, wow - you have never cruised! I’ve got over 100 days at Sea sailed. So, yes, I hope you enjoy it, too. I enjoy DCL more than the parks, but have resorted to WDW this year due to no cruises.

Bon Voyage! Hope it all works out for you - and that we all get to sail soon.

How exciting that your children have grandparents who have been together so long. And want to take the family on a vacation to celebrate. I don’t think they planned to mess with your plans when they picked their wedding? :) I wouldn’t mind having this trip as a memory - it might be more important for them than the kids
Thanks for the input! I should clarify that I of course don’t begrudge the cruise! And of course happy to celebrate milestones! My trip was originally planned for this exact same time but two years earlier so COVID is what ruined it! 😭 But FYI their anniversary is technically in August 😃. They are both retired and my husband and I both work FT and have kids who are tied to school schedules, so we are always necessarily less flexible, and I understand that. But it does happen that this short cruise coincides with my son’s bday and the one week a year that’s best for a “full” Disney trip (whereas I could’ve found lots of other times to squeeze in a 3-day cruise trip but again, not my call of course!). I am definitely adjusting our trip on our end but I have to admit I’m unfortunately less excited about it now. Not because of the cruise per se—just all the uncertainty! If there are no fast passes, for example, really worried it will not be worth it. And yes, admittedly worried about everyone’s crankiness and mood going to a busy park after a cruise but I guess we’ll deal! It just makes me anxious bc this original first Disney trip was intended to be a real splurge and I am worried about spending all that money and having everyone be overtired and miserable the whole time 😭 But definitely a first world problem to have!

It just makes me anxious bc this original first Disney trip was intended to be a real splurge and I am worried about spending all that money and having everyone be overtired and miserable the whole time 😭 But definitely a first world problem to have!

You're worrying way too much. Both are fun vacations and your kids will have a great time. Being a first trip means you all have nothing else to compare it to, whereas all of us who've been visiting WDW/DCL for years can see them both change over the years so it gives us something to talk about. Plan what you can ahead of time but then when it comes time, just go with the flow and enjoy. There's no way to see/do it all in one trip and that goes for WDW and DCL. Odds are really good that you will be back to one or both and then you'll have full control over more aspects, and the joy of paying 100%. :goodvibes

Thanks for the input! I should clarify that I of course don’t begrudge the cruise! And of course happy to celebrate milestones! My trip was originally planned for this exact same time but two years earlier so COVID is what ruined it! 😭 But FYI their anniversary is technically in August 😃. They are both retired and my husband and I both work FT and have kids who are tied to school schedules, so we are always necessarily less flexible, and I understand that. But it does happen that this short cruise coincides with my son’s bday and the one week a year that’s best for a “full” Disney trip (whereas I could’ve found lots of other times to squeeze in a 3-day cruise trip but again, not my call of course!). I am definitely adjusting our trip on our end but I have to admit I’m unfortunately less excited about it now. Not because of the cruise per se—just all the uncertainty! If there are no fast passes, for example, really worried it will not be worth it. And yes, admittedly worried about everyone’s crankiness and mood going to a busy park after a cruise but I guess we’ll deal! It just makes me anxious bc this original first Disney trip was intended to be a real splurge and I am worried about spending all that money and having everyone be overtired and miserable the whole time 😭 But definitely a first world problem to have!

I was trying to nudge you to see the positive side :) but also really didn’t want you to feel bad. I wondered if you were having to deal with difficult grandparents. Glad to hear that may not be causing you too much tension.

These forums can be a bit of therapy. And also can bring out trolls. Who else can you tell your concerns to better than other Disney fans? Hopefully you will get positive help.

I really don’t think you are going to be wiped out after the cruise, nor even after the cruise + park combo. If you just don’t go commando-style in the parks. The cruise just doesn’t have enough to do (or length) to tire you.

I think the above poster got it right - your kids have no basis of comparison to what Disney World “should” be like. Unless you promise them the moon. Don’t give them too many details or have “must do” rides or events. Sure, it won’t be the same as you remembered it.

But it Does still feel like WDW to many of us. It depends on what you think of when imagining it. If you expect fireworks, parades, character meet & greets, and live shows, or FP, and have never skipped those (or regretted skipping them) because that makes your trip, it will be hard for you.

Here’s a little reminiscing about what I think of as WDW and still get to experience during this phase:
I get that Disney feeling as soon as I am on Disney roads, passing under the sign (and not stopping for a photo, as we were allowed to do on my first visit in 1998) or driving past Disney Springs (a new addition to what I think of as Disney). Having the parking lot workers signal where to park (I love that sense of order). Seeing the park entrance and then the little “foyer“ area before going down the main thoroughfare. What a setup for the day. I try to look at details in the architecture, the lights and signs. They put so much detail in everything. Yep, they’ve got some good rides, nothing my family calls great. We love Soarin’, Rise of the Resistance is possibly our favorite, everyone rides Rock ‘n Rollercoaster, and we consider Expedition Everest their best rollercoaster. I’m a sucker for Toy Story Midway Mania and the rest of our crowd goes for the simulator rides - Star Tours, Flight of Pandora, Smuggler’s Run. Food, mweh, other than Dole Whip and (for me) mini corn dogs. A recent addition is The Master’s Cupcake at Gaston’s Tavern, featuring The Grey Stuff. No need to get a table at Be Our Guest to enjoy it, it’s a QS offering.

What I am missing
MK fireworks (which I waved off in Jan 2020, too tired after after a very long day that started at 7 am at Hollywood Studios to get a BG. I got one, but bailed on a line that was half done at 1.25 hours. So tired.) I haven’t seen MK fireworks since Wishes ended.
The parking lot tram.
Beauty & the Beast stage show. Because HS didn’t have a lot to offer before Toy Story Land and Galaxy’s Edge opened.
Festival of the Lion King.
Casey’s Corner, late night watching the fireworks. Part of the routine.

It can be great if you do get to go. So, 50th anniversary not until August 2022?

Something to keep in mind is if any of your party gets land sick post cruise. I am okay on the ship but that sway stays with me for days. I would be miserable trying to navigate a park and enjoy rides while I still have my sea legs.
Oh my gosh. That's something I never would have thought of, but I know exactly the "post-sway" that you feel after the cruise. It can last for a couple days.

Omg, the room I was working in felt like it was spinning when I turned to pivot, on one of the very few times I had to work the day after disembarking. It was like being hungover. I stopped but the room kept going. lol

I miss that feeling now. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter