Visiting WDW after cruise?

Thanks, all! Unfortunately, it has to be cruise and then parks (if I do parks) because of the way school break hits. Should I just give up on the WDW trip? I was so excited about it for last spring and had so much prepared and done but now it seems daunting and since the in laws are not keeping it a secret, it’s not really the fun surprise trip I originally planned. Agreed that a 3-night cruise does not seem relaxing tbh but I guess it’s in laws’ preference. Aah..so conflicted! (First world problem i know!). It just feels like stuff i was excited about (meet and greets, for ex) will kind of be done by the cruise? Even fireworks, right?

I wouldn’t compare the fireworks at sea to MK’s firework. They are cute but not THAT impressive.

Thanks! That’s helpful. My main motivator of planning the original trip so much was “how to do fun stuff while minimizing time in lines bc my two boys can be royal pains”. Is there the same possible “waiting around for fun stuff” issue with cruises? Similarly, any planning for WDW trip will have that in mind too. I just know how kid whining/meltdowns can derail stuff so i made sure to plan early reservations and FPs. Staying at poly to maximize transportation options although tempted by Contemporary, that kind of thing.

Ahhhhhh Poly is the best. :lovestruc

Absolutely!! The DCL cruise fireworks are just an appetizer! It’s actually good to go on the cruise first, otherwise the fireworks on the cruise could be disappointing!

I thought the pirate show on the Disney Dream made up for the less interesting fireworks.

From personal experience I have sailed then Disney Park vacation. I go through quite a bit of withdrawal the morning of my DCL returns. I’m bumming through breakfast, deboarding process, car/bus ride, airport, unpacking, all the while considering how to get back as soon as possible. We carried off luggage to jump in car straight to Epcot. Use your park pass to enjoy a slower pace or infrequently attended park by your family. It helps our mood.

Well this one would definitely lead to a divorce 😂

DW likes WDW AND CRUISING !!!! We married 48 years ago this June and from the beginning I told her that the money she makes from working IS HERS and the money I make from working IS HERS so I have no problems with her spending as she likes and she likes WDW > CRUISING > WDW.

Only comment about cruise then parks.

On the cruise, pretty much all the snacks are included. (Except movie theater popcorn/candy).

My kids are accustomed to the idea of "I want a snack, I wander over to the counter and get it". No problems with third on ice cream, for example. That attitude makes transitioning to the parks either difficult or expensive.

DW likes WDW AND CRUISING !!!! We married 48 years ago this June and from the beginning I told her that the money she makes from working IS HERS and the money I make from working IS HERS so I have no problems with her spending as she likes and she likes WDW > CRUISING > WDW.
Funny, I told my husband the same thing about his money. He likes to say I am dependently wealthy. 😊

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents and that's about all its worth.
There are a few unknowns here. Are you flying into/out of Orlando? If you are you can take the DCL bus to the port directly and you can take the bus back to the airport directly. You can also take the DCL bus to a resort after the cruise. As of now, there will not be a Magical Express in 2022 so that is a can of worms for many. Something to think about.
Now, we took our adult children and their spouses a few years back and decided that we would stay at WDW for one night after the cruise. This was partially because you need to be off the ship by 9AM and the bus ride to the airport is about an hour. Our flight would not leave till 5 PM. That would leave us sit there for quite awhile and while I like the airport, I don't like it that much. So we went to WDW, spent the day at the Magic Kingdom, stayed one night, relaxed the next morning, had a swim and caught ME to the airport after lunch. It was a nice taste of WDW without being over whelming and filled in the down time.
Now, as I stated earlier, there is no longer going to be ME so that is out. I do believe, and it's arguable, that there will be some form of transportation on offer as a pay option.
You just need to figure out what works best for you. If your flight is later do you want to hang out at the airport? There is an option of renting a room at the Hyatt, that would give you a place to have a nap, shower, swim and you would still be at the airport. Would you prefer to spend that time doing something a little more fun? Then plan at least one night and you can make at least one park.
Whatever you decide I'm sure you and the family will have a blast! We are taking our family again in March 2022, always assuming Covid is under control and our country lets us out. It's a 7 nighter with a planned 5 night stay at WDW before the cruise. Depending on flight times home, we may just get a day room at the Hyatt, I'm sure we will all be tired out by then.

I've done it both ways, parks before and after a cruise, and really, there are pros and cons to both options. Either way, look at the big picture, you will be doing a park trip AND getting a cruise out of it. It can't be too bad. ;)

Only comment about cruise then parks.

On the cruise, pretty much all the snacks are included. (Except movie theater popcorn/candy).

My kids are accustomed to the idea of "I want a snack, I wander over to the counter and get it". No problems with third on ice cream, for example. That attitude makes transitioning to the parks either difficult or expensive.

Not exactly the same deal but the dining plans usually includes snacks... (but yeah, that can be pretty expensive if you don’t get the promo).

Something to keep in mind is if any of your party gets land sick post cruise. I am okay on the ship but that sway stays with me for days. I would be miserable trying to navigate a park and enjoy rides while I still have my sea legs.

Went on an Adventures By Disney to Alaska. A family from New York came straight from a week long Alaskan Disney Cruise to join the Alaskan Adventures by Disney which is all on land (an fantastic). All together this was 17 days plus travel days for them. This family had three kids that were great!! (All had manners, were polite and well-behaved. Ages 8, and two 10s.) Mom and Dad were "relaxed and chill". They had done the hard parenting work long before this vacation. We had a great time with them. My point: You know your kids. You know your family. I doubt I would do rope drop to close days at WDW but let Grandma and Grandpa enjoy the grandkids and set the pace. (Other thoughts: My cousin's inlaws wanted to provide a Disney trip for their two grandchildren ages 4 and 2. Family members were opining the littles would never remember the trip. The grandparents wanted to go anyway. All did and had a great time. For the boys the pictures would be the main memories as they were so young. For grandma and grandpa the trip was a delight. Had the trip taken place even the following summer the boy's grandpa would have been unable to go due to health issues. They are so glad they made it work and went. In my own life: We took my Dad to Las Vegas for a vacation in 1994. He had been to LV in 1965 when my uncle got married and alwasy dreamed of returning. Yes, it was July and it was so HOT. People told us we were crazy but we had seven family members go (including my Dad's brother) and had a great time. A few months later my Dad had a massive heart attack that took his life at age 59. One my Dad's birthday six months later my uncle had a heart attack on my Dad's bithday and died. We NEVER EVER saw any of this coming. One can imagine how many times I said I am so glad we did that trip and did not wait.)

since the in laws are not keeping it a secret, it’s not really the fun surprise trip I originally planned
You can still keep the WDW part of the trip as a surprise... so the kids know they are going on a cruise, but they have no idea of the extra time planned at the parks afterwards!

In the past, we would always try to hit the parks for 3-4 days, cruise, then return to the parks for one night and fly home. Leaving the ship and having a nice relaxing day by a pool at a disney resort kinda beats flying home to cold weather every time.

That being said, I'm not sure how covid will play into that moving forward. If you get off the ship and are required to quarantine - it makes anything you do after the cruise subject to the whims of the latest CDC edicts.

In the past, we would always try to hit the parks for 3-4 days, cruise, then return to the parks for one night and fly home. Leaving the ship and having a nice relaxing day by a pool at a disney resort kinda beats flying home to cold weather every time.

That being said, I'm not sure how covid will play into that moving forward. If you get off the ship and are required to quarantine - it makes anything you do after the cruise subject to the whims of the latest CDC edicts.
Thanks! If there are quarantine requirements related to cruise by April 2022, that would def be a deal breaker and we’d decline the cruise. Def not quarantining with two boys in a state we don’t live in for a 3 night cruise, lol.

Thanks! If there are quarantine requirements related to cruise by April 2022, that would def be a deal breaker and we’d decline the cruise. Def not quarantining with two boys in a state we don’t live in for a 3 night cruise, lol.

Im hoping there won't be by then...but it certainly informed my decision to cancel my cruise this upcoming December. I had plans to return to WDW for NYE - and I didnt want the cruise getting in the way of that.

Went on an Adventures By Disney to Alaska. A family from New York came straight from a week long Alaskan Disney Cruise to join the Alaskan Adventures by Disney which is all on land (an fantastic). All together this was 17 days plus travel days for them. This family had three kids that were great!! (All had manners, were polite and well-behaved. Ages 8, and two 10s.) Mom and Dad were "relaxed and chill". They had done the hard parenting work long before this vacation. We had a great time with them. My point: You know your kids. You know your family. I doubt I would do rope drop to close days at WDW but let Grandma and Grandpa enjoy the grandkids and set the pace. (Other thoughts: My cousin's inlaws wanted to provide a Disney trip for their two grandchildren ages 4 and 2. Family members were opining the littles would never remember the trip. The grandparents wanted to go anyway. All did and had a great time. For the boys the pictures would be the main memories as they were so young. For grandma and grandpa the trip was a delight. Had the trip taken place even the following summer the boy's grandpa would have been unable to go due to health issues. They are so glad they made it work and went. In my own life: We took my Dad to Las Vegas for a vacation in 1994. He had been to LV in 1965 when my uncle got married and alwasy dreamed of returning. Yes, it was July and it was so HOT. People told us we were crazy but we had seven family members go (including my Dad's brother) and had a great time. A few months later my Dad had a massive heart attack that took his life at age 59. One my Dad's birthday six months later my uncle had a heart attack on my Dad's bithday and died. We NEVER EVER saw any of this coming. One can imagine how many times I said I am so glad we did that trip and did not wait.)

I am sorry about your dad. But thank you for sharing this reminder. It is such a good point. Any trip can be miserable, and nearly any trip can be fun - even with challenging conditions. Much of that will be determined by what you make of it. WDW after a cruise could be exhausting, but it could be both exhausting and a blast. If done right, it is another group of memories for everyone involved.

We added Universal onto the front of our last cruise at the last minute. It was exhausting flying in late, getting up early to do everything, and then driving to the port after a full day at the park. But I don't regret it for a second. We had so much fun and made great memories. My wife had been bedridden the time I took the kids years before and it meant the world to us to get her there for the first time.

So, OP, if going to WDW after the cruise works with your schedule, I say go for it. Pace yourself and have a blast.

Absolutely do the cruise then parks. We had so much fun on our cruise that DH insisted we fit a trip to Magic Kingdom in on the day we returned to port - we had a late flight - and that’s with 4 kids and a DH who is not a Disney lover. We would have loved more time at Disney. The cruise leaves you on a Disney high.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter