visiting relatives out of state

plutojudy

When you wish upon a star.....
We are visiting my first cousin, once removed this summer. We are staying in a hotel and seeing them for about 4 hours. There are 2 of us and 9 of them. They mentioned going to dinner. Who pays?

If you are staying in a hotel everyone pays for there own. If they are hosting you in their home I always try to pay for the meal out as they are saving me hotel cost and many times car rental/ taxi, and other meals (breakfast in the morning).

Manners and etiquette have changed over the years, of course. But I was raised that the hosts pay for dinner. Since your relatives are the "hosts" (even though you're only in their city, they still count as hosts in my book), they should pay.

HOWEVER, if things look awkward when the check comes, just grab it. I hate playing that stupid game.

You split it 11 ways. They order steaks. You order side salads.

JK. I would just ask for a separate check for us two.

If two relatives were coming to my state and paying to stay in a hotel, I would buy them dinner. I would never expect them to pick up the check, especially if there were nine people of us and only two of them. If they insisted on chipping in their share, I would accept it. But I would initially grab the check.

I would never ask for separate checks. Just not something that is the norm.

If I were the hosts I would pay for ur dinner.

If they aren't going to I would just offer up enough cash to cover what I ordered plus tax and tip and then add extra.

We are visiting my first cousin, once removed this summer. We are staying in a hotel and seeing them for about 4 hours. There are 2 of us and 9 of them. They mentioned going to dinner. Who pays?

Well technically because they are hosting and mentioned it, they should. But I wouldn't count on it. I'd say there is a good chance each family will pay for their own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter