VGF2 Big Pine Key Bldg Resort Studio - No Microwave email Campaign

We are literally arguing over a microwave. I do think we need a reality check

but…. I was responding to the prior comment “A hotel room is not a timeshare unit”

legally a timeshare does not need a microwave, or fridge and yes a hotel room would qualify under the legal definition. The makeup of the room is not what defines a timeshare but rather fractional ownership

and on the less argument. Yeah I agree Disney is changing and not for the better. But these rooms have two real beds and are bigger.

it’s not less, it’s just different. Why is different so bad

i was not talking legally, I was talking traditionally with the DVC product. But I’m sure you knew that. You also keep insisting it’s only missing a microwave even though it will be missing a kitchenette, which all DVC studios have included up until this category of room.

Nothing is being removed from any units.
Actually, Disney has been replacing the larger mini-fridges with freezer compartments to smaller mini-fridges without them, so they have been removing things we've had.

I get all that you're saying, but I don't think asking for a microwave to be included in the new resort rooms is deserving of all this hate? They didn't petition to add a kitchenette, so the example of petitioning to remove them is a little extreme (besides, you got your wish: there are no kitchenettes in the new studios). I honestly don't see why there can't be BOTH -- ie, a 2 Queen Hotel Room now branded as a Studio *with* a mini-fridge and microwave. It's very easy to add those two appliances and keep them discrete, out of the way, and not impacting the space of the hotel room. I've been in many hotel rooms that have them. It's not like they petitioned to remove the 2 Queen Beds. They just asked for a microwave to be included in the room design.

I wonder if there are any tea drinkers here besides me. Although I really appreciate the coffee maker in the room, I like the ability to make myself a cup of tea in the afternoon. I depend on the microwave to heat a cup of water, then I throw in a tea bag. No microwave=no tea.
I bought a single serve travel water kettle for just this reason, and much as I do not want to nuke water for tea, it is the better alternative to heat water in a coffee pot.
One of the joys of travel in the UK and Japan was always having a tea kettle in the hotel rooms!

Simple stir before adding the tea should take care of that, LOL. I agree it's a tea snob thing - just like the controversy over milk. Is it better to add before you add the brewed tea or after? :)
After! There is no question. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Actually, Disney has been replacing the larger mini-fridges with freezer compartments to smaller mini-fridges without them, so they have been removing things we've had.

I get all that you're saying, but I don't think asking for a microwave to be included in the new resort rooms is deserving of all this hate? They didn't petition to add a kitchenette, so the example of petitioning to remove them is a little extreme (besides, you got your wish: there are no kitchenettes in the new studios). I honestly don't see why there can't be BOTH -- ie, a 2 Queen Hotel Room now branded as a Studio *with* a mini-fridge and microwave. It's very easy to add those two appliances and keep them discrete, out of the way, and not impacting the space of the hotel room. I've been in many hotel rooms that have them. It's not like they petitioned to remove the 2 Queen Beds. They just asked for a microwave to be included in the room design.

It’s not hate. It’s choices.
Why the hate for rooms without microwaves?

I’m supporting having both options.
Anyone who wants a microwave, can book a deluxe villa. Anyone who doesn’t want a microwave can book a resort villa. Why the hate again at giving DVC owners the choice?

^Well, one problem with the above solution is that I am pretty sure that some new owners will be wanting microwaves and there will be only the ones at present.

^Well, one problem with the above solution is that I am pretty sure that some new owners will be wanting microwaves and there will be only the ones at present.

I agree. Sales are not going to be to only those that basically want a hotel room. It will be to people interested in coming back to WDW year after year and they will be told they can book all the rooms iincluding studios with split baths and kitchenettes, 1BR's, 2BR's and GV's.

I've stayed at VGF hotel in an outer building and the thing I disliked the most was walking outside even when it's bad weather. It's so nice to have the ability to do a quick breakfast at least to heat up left overs. It was a long standing complaint about BWV too - Having to walk outside for everything. And it's the current VGF building that has a covered walkway.

Last edited:

Anyone who wants a microwave, can book a deluxe villa. Anyone who doesn’t want a microwave can book a resort villa. Why the hate again at giving DVC owners the choice?
This question has already been answered for you multiple times on the thread. It's not a concern about choice. It's a concern about there being too much demand for the existing Deluxe studios once these ones sell - due to more amenities offered in deluxe. It puts existing VG1 owners in the frustrating/precarious position of having to fight for availability that is already scarce.

The poll you started on a different thread is quite revealing - the majority say that a kitchenette or microwave is either critical or preferred. Another large chunk say they would only consider the Resort Rooms if they had a lower point chart than deluxe (which we now know they don't).

If these are priced competitively, many will see this as a way to get into the existing Deluxe studios for a lesser price than currently buying direct for them. The resort rooms will have tons of availability, and the deluxe rooms, 1 and 2 bedrooms included, will be snapped up in an instant.

Last edited:
This question has already been answered for you multiple times on the thread. It's not a concern about choice. It's a concern about there being too much demand for the existing Deluxe studios once these ones sell - due to more amenities offered in deluxe.

So… if I’m concerned that there will be too much demand for the resort studios, because people will prefer the larger rooms with 2 real beds, should I start a petition to remove the kitchenettes from the deluxe studios to open more space?

And… do you really think that a microwave alone will change anything?

You’re ignoring that guests is Resort Studios will be able to request a microwave If they need one (that’s how it works in WDW resorts).

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/request-microwave-disney-hotels-425393/
There is an ongoing poll in another thread. Less than half the respondents find the kitchenette critical — a very large minority, but still a minority. And only a handful specifically see the microwave as the difference maker.

It puts existing VG1 owners in the frustrating/precarious position of having to fight for availability that is already scarce.

It puts VG1 owners in the wonderful position that they will now have a whole new category of choices. Availability will increase as people flock to the new units, with only a minority of owners preferring the older units.

The poll you started on a different thread is quite revealing - the majority say that a kitchenette or microwave is either critical or preferred.

No, it’s a minority.Only about 30%. About 60% prefer the resort rooms, are indifferent, or will want the resort rooms if they are fewer points.

If these are priced competitively, many will see this as a way to get into the existing Deluxe studios for a lesser price than currently buying direct for them. The resort rooms will have tons of availability, and the deluxe rooms, 1 and 2 bedrooms included, will be snapped up in an instant.

Let’s say your nightmare scenario comes true — having a microwave pre-installed, instead of available upon request, isn’t going to change anything. Someone who wants a 2 bedroom isn’t going to say, “oh… the resort studios have a pre-installed microwave? I no longer want the 2 bedroom!”
Nobody who wants a studio is going to say, “I don’t want to go through the hassle of calling the front desk and requesting a microwave, but I’ll book the unit if it already has one!”

Last edited:
So… if I’m concerned that there will be too much demand for the resort studios, because people will prefer the larger rooms with 2 real beds, should I start a petition to remove the kitchenettes from the deluxe studios to open more space?

And… do you really think that a microwave alone will change anything?

You’re ignoring that guests is Resort Studios will be able to request a microwave If they need one (that’s how it works in WDW resorts).

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/request-microwave-disney-hotels-425393/
There is an ongoing poll in another thread. Less than half the respondents find the kitchenette critical — a very large minority, but still a minority. And only a handful specifically see the microwave as the difference maker.

It puts VG1 owners in the wonderful position that they will now have a whole new category of choices. Availability will increase as people flock to the new units, with only a minority of owners preferring the older units.

No, it’s a minority.Only about 30%. About 60% prefer the resort rooms, are indifferent, or will want the resort rooms if they are fewer points.

Let’s say your nightmare scenario comes true — having a microwave pre-installed, instead of available upon request, isn’t going to change anything. Someone who wants a 2 bedroom isn’t going to say, “oh… the resort studios have a pre-installed microwave? I no longer want the 2 bedroom!”
Nobody who wants a studio is going to say, “I don’t want to go through the hassle of calling the front desk and requesting a microwave, but I’ll book the unit if it already has one!”
You have an interesting way of interpreting your poll. By the numbers, more respondents either want a kitchenette or microwave than those who don't. Not included in the poll were also the amount of people saying they prefer the split bathroom in the Deluxe. Not to forget the nearly 20% that only said Yes if the point chart is cheaper - who are now in the "no" camp because the points chart is confirmed as the same as Deluxe.

So, according to your poll, well over half voted for No or maybe - and the vast minority voted with a firm Yes to resort room preference.

By the numbers, more respondents either want a kitchenette or microwave than those who don't. Not included in the poll were also the amount of people saying they prefer the split bathroom in the Deluxe. Not to forget the nearly 20% that only said Yes if the point chart is cheaper - who are now in the "no" camp because the points chart is confirmed as the same as Deluxe.........

DIS polls are fun, but in no way can we make reliable conclusions based on them.

We should also keep in mind that the DIS DVC Community is a very small portion of DVC Members. FWIW, I strongly doubt we are DVD's target market for the resort studios.

You have an interesting way of interpreting your poll. By the numbers, more respondents either want a kitchenette or microwave than those who don't. Not included in the poll were also the amount of people saying they prefer the split bathroom in the Deluxe. Not to forget the nearly 20% that only said Yes if the point chart is cheaper - who are now in the "no" camp because the points chart is confirmed as the same as Deluxe.

So, according to your poll, well over half voted for No or maybe - and the vast minority voted with a firm Yes to resort room preference.

View attachment 628274

Math. Majority is 50% or more.
28.4% is a minority, not a majority.

A very close 25.3% prefer the resort studios. 15.8% are indifferent. And 18.9% prefer the resort rooms if they are fewer points. (Which is likely).
So as I said — about 30% insist on the kitchenette.
about 60% are indifferent or prefer the resort rooms, at least under the right point chart.
And a tiny 11% see the microwave as the critical factor. (And I’m guessing they don’t realize they can just request a microwave)

The “maybes” don’t count as no’s. If I counted “maybes” as yes, then a huge 70%+ majority would consider taking the new resort rooms.

No matter how you do the math— kitchenette being critical is a minority. Microwave being the breaking point is a teeny tiny minority.

I wonder how realistic the statement is that "You can request a microwave anytime". And they do admit that there's a "limited" number of microwaves available. How many guests have requested a microwave and got one? Or not got one? I'm somewhat skeptical about it. But my experience is based on the statement that "If you have a room with a 4 cup coffee maker, you can always request a full-size one." Well, we did, but were told that there were none available. Wondering how common this is with microwaves.

Math. Majority is 50% or more.
28.4% is a minority, not a majority.

A very close 25.3% prefer the resort studios. 15.8% are indifferent. And 18.9% prefer the resort rooms if they are fewer points. (Which is likely).
So as I said — about 30% insist on the kitchenette.
about 60% are indifferent or prefer the resort rooms, at least under the right point chart.
And a tiny 11% see the microwave as the critical factor. (And I’m guessing they don’t realize they can just request a microwave)

The “maybes” don’t count as no’s. If I counted “maybes” as yes, then a huge 70%+ majority would consider taking the new resort rooms.

No matter how you do the math— kitchenette being critical is a minority. Microwave being the breaking point is a teeny tiny minority.

28.4 + 10.5 + 11.6 + 4.2 = 54.7 % as "no" votes.

If counting the 18.9% that said "only if the points chart is lower" (which we now know it is not), that number changes to a 73.9% no vote.

I agree with @CarolMN that this is simply a small sample size of a much larger group. However, it is your own poll, so I am trying to point out that your data collection shows a clear preference for the Deluxe Studios.

28.4 + 10.5 + 11.6 + 4.2 = 54.7 % as "no" votes.

If counting the 18.9% that said "only if the points chart is lower" (which we now know it is not), that number changes to a 73.9% no vote.

I agree with @CarolMN that this is simply a small sample size of a much larger group. However, it is your own poll, so I am trying to point out that your data collection shows a clear preference for the Deluxe Studios.

View attachment 628284

It wasn’t “only.” Now that the point chart is known, need to give those people a chance to revote.

But as things stand:
yes + indifferent: 53 votes
Maybe: 34
No: 52

As I say in that thread, this is very unscientific. With multiple answers allowed, there is overlap. And this board over-represents a certain type of DVCer.
But what is clear — demand is pretty evenly spread between the new units and old units. It’s a sizable minority that’s stuck on the kitchenette. A lot of people — but under 50%.
And very very few people for whom pre-installation of a microwave matters.

So again, why do you express such hate for rooms that actually have very significant support? And why petition for a microwave, when it makes no difference? You can already get it on request.

I’m actually a bit surprised that those who want studios and dislike the lack of kitchenette or microwave are not of the mind to sell

2,000,000 points will without doubt put downward pressure on deluxe studios and if the resort rooms are hated so much why continue to own? Why not cash out ASAP before prices go down and direct sales open and buy a new home in a resort that better meets individual needs?

I’ve not seen a massive influx of new gfv resale contracts which leads me to believe the changes are not enough to push people to sell their contracts

I think if you look at the difference in responses between those who asked for a microwave and those who don't want one because they want two real beds and no kitchenette, you'll see a very different style of response: the people who want microwaves aren't saying you can't have what you want, but only asking for an amenity to remain included. The presence of a microwave in a room, if done correctly, doesn't impact the room design or space utilization in any meaningful way. And because this way - a microwave included in the resort rooms - BOTH sides get what they want. You don't have to use the microwave, and it could even be hidden away in a cabinet (some of the hotels I've stayed at have the fridges and microwaves hidden). We get you don't need or want one, but why should that mean not including one at all for those who need one or want one? What about those who WANT two real beds but also have a microwave included? Why shouldn't that ALSO be a choice?

View attachment 628274
There's no option here for "Maybe, but I wish there was a microwave." or even "Maybe, but I wish there was a full mini-fridge," so for those who WANT two real beds but also WANT a microwave and/or fridge, there's no option here to vote to express that option in your poll, A Kitchenette is very different than asking for a microwave and mini fridge being in the room, as a kitchenette will absolutely impact the floor plan and space utilized, whereas a Microwave or Fridge but no dedicated "kitchen space" makes it easier to minimize impact to space utilization and "hide them away." There should be "YES I want the two real beds and a microwave" and "Maybe, but I wish there was a microwave."

I wonder how realistic the statement is that "You can request a microwave anytime". And they do admit that there's a "limited" number of microwaves available. How many guests have requested a microwave and got one? Or not got one? I'm somewhat skeptical about it. But my experience is based on the statement that "If you have a room with a 4 cup coffee maker, you can always request a full-size one." Well, we did, but were told that there were none available. Wondering how common this is with microwaves.
My prior experiences with requesting a microwave has been at Coronado Springs (2 times) and Yacht Club (1 time), and in both cases, there were none available when we requested them.

I think if you look at the difference in responses between those who asked for a microwave and those who don't want one because they want two real beds and no kitchenette, you'll see a very different style of response: the people who want microwaves aren't saying you can't have what you want, but only asking for an amenity to remain included. The presence of a microwave in a room, if done correctly, doesn't impact the room design or space utilization in any meaningful way. And because this way - a microwave included in the resort rooms - BOTH sides get what they want. You don't have to use the microwave, and it could even be hidden away in a cabinet (some of the hotels I've stayed at have the fridges and microwaves hidden). We get you don't need or want one, but why should that mean not including one at all for those who need one or want one? What about those who WANT two real beds but also have a microwave included? Why shouldn't that ALSO be a choice?

But both sides already can get what they want, at least in terms of microwave. Microwaves are available upon request for resort rooms at Grand Floridian, as well as a microwave available in the quick service area.

So those who want a full kitchenette -- Can book a deluxe studio.
Those who has no interest in a microwave or kitchenette, can book a resort studio.
Those who want the resort studio WITH a microwave, can simply request one.
Those who want the resort studio, but might possibly want to reheat something at some point, can head over to the quick service area and use the microwave there.

Listen -- I get some people want a microwave, and that's the only part of the kitchenette they feel they need. (personally, I'd much rather have a toaster). There already is a solution for those people -- Request a microwave.

facebook twitter