Very OT - dumb question but does food coloring expire?

rella's fan

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure where to post this but everybody here is so helpful I thought I'd give it a try. I am not a baker by any means but I just made my nephew his first birthday cake for daycare tomorrow. I used a Winnie the Pooh pan that I had and I also used the food coloring package by Wilton to get Pooh the right shade. It turned out very cute if I do say so myself but I just started getting anxiety that "what if the coloring I used expired?" I can't find an expiration date anywhere on the package but I've probably had the package in my cupboard for a couple of years. I am worried now that if the icing isn't good all the babies at daycare will get sick - should it be o.k.?

I really don't think food coloring expires. I know when I was a kid we had the same bottles for years on end. Mine are at least 4 years old now, and I'm still here.

**Updated to since I had time to kill before DH gets home and I'm bored/curious, I did a pretty darn exhaustive search on the topic and found nothing to indicate that there is any kind of stated shelf life for food coloring drops. I think you're in the clear!

I'm still using a package that I bought the first holiday season I lived in this house, which was 1994. No one has ever gotten ill.

My mom used to decorate cakes for a living and no food coloring does not expire. Just don't get any sugar in it or it will harden and be useless. If useing it for frosting use a toothpick to put the food coloring into the frosting and throw the tooth pick away after each use

Thanks so much everybody for the replies, I had a feeling I was being a little paranoid but wasn't sure!

I have to laugh at that. I never even thought it could. My food coloring is at least 20 years old!!! :)

If you have food coloring that is in the little jars and it goes hard, you can add a few drops of glycerin to it to make it a little smoother and easier to mix into your frosting. (No "clumps") But my mom has had food coloring for 10-15 years and it does not go bad. She has liquid and solid kinds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter