Vaccine Passport

My elderly neighbour is a chemist. He flat out told me one day in our driveways he will NOT be getting either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. He's waiting for the Johnson & Johnson one.

I jokingly told him to let me know which one I should be getting. I'm following the older, wiser one's lead.
What's so great about the Johnson and Johnson one?

It is not mRNA and only requires one dose. So it is more of a familiar vaccine.
That's interesting. Know a number of friends and family who have allergies including to shellfish. While any allergic reactions to Pfizer and Moderna have been explained as known allergies to PEG (glycol) in the compound and no obvious link to other allergies like shellfish, people with these life-threatening allergies are still understandably worried. Would be interesting to know if J&J also uses PEG or some other compound as well as not mRNA.

That's interesting. Know a number of friends and family who have allergies including to shellfish. While any allergic reactions to Pfizer and Moderna have been explained as known allergies to PEG (glycol) in the compound and no obvious link to other allergies like shellfish, people with these life-threatening allergies are still understandably worried. Would be interesting to know if J&J also uses PEG or some other compound as well as not mRNA.

There was a report just a day or two ago (in the US) where the man had a severe allergic reaction. He has shellfish allergies but no allergy to PEG. But I mean, it's all just wait and see, trial and error at this point. The reality is, they're going into a global vaccination campaign for all intents and purposes, pretty blind, since pre-existing conditions were almost completely excluded from the (short) trials, the elderly were also excluded AND the two vaccines types currently released have never been used in humans before. It's unfortunately going to be a learn as we go experiment. Thankfully, Canada has already set up a compensation program. Has anyone heard if the US has done anything similar?

I have a shellfish allergy and my daughter is deathly allergic to Advil/Ibuprofen.

I think I read if you are allergic to eggs you can't get the flu shot?

Perhaps. Perhaps not. The reality is our current situation (while horrible yes) is very temporary. What they are proposing will not be. Also, a vaccine Passport will have no measurable impact whatsoever on the number of sick and dying. It basically is for the benefit of those who want to go have fun.
I guess my point is that a vaccine passport could influence others to vaccinate because it would now be too uncomfortable not to, and that most certainly will have an impact on the sick and dying.

I have a shellfish allergy and my daughter is deathly allergic to Advil/Ibuprofen.

They typically recommend you avoid it. Now, I think you can get the nasal spray, but I don't even know if that's offered in Canada?

I don't have an issue with this. I'll be getting the vaccine, and for my son whenever he is able to. I have already had to deal with public health and my son's vaccines because he got one of his immunizations a couple days earlier than the exact date and they required proof for that. Any way, all to say, I keep records as is so this is nothing new. As for which one we'll get, whichever one is approved and available to us. I'd prefer one shot... I don't like needles, but we are lucky to not have allergies so that is not an issue for us. Something electronic would be nice, not having to carry possibly the only paper copy of the proof all the time.

I guess my point is that a vaccine passport could influence others to vaccinate because it would now be too uncomfortable not to, and that most certainly will have an impact on the sick and dying.

Possibly. Though my take was if they do them, they aren't expected to be available until after the campaign is already over. So not until late 2021. The US is expecting to have herd immunity levels already vaccinated by June 2021. So will it really make a difference? With those levels, not really. But I guess it depends on how many do actually show up for vaccination. Projections and reality aren't always the same.

Just a query but if Cdn snowbirds in Florida who have bucked the advice of our Fed Gov't, risked everything including their health and our tax dollars assuming we will bail them out and fly them home gratis if they get the virus, actually get the vaccine this winter (prob pay cash out of pocket) before the rest of Cdn seniors - will they get their vaccine passport issued by Florida for bonus early international travel ie cruises? I have parents, friends and family who obeyed our Fed Govt and our health officials and returned to Canada. Many of whom had no real home to return to but are shacking up in their adult kids back rooms or in trailers with little heat. Most conscientious snowbirds have done the right thing and are here in Canada. Some are very worried about a backlash when they return to Florida when Floridians should get the vaccine first. The divisions and anger is growing. ps I have neighbours in their late 70s and early 80s who are working in Walmart and our grocery stores as essential workers. They ain't working for fun. They have to work to pay their mortgage, property tax and put food on the table. What's fair doesn't even begin to address this. Simmering anger is about right.

What's so great about the Johnson and Johnson one?

This NY Times article explains how the J&J vaccine works: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine.html

This NY Times article explains how the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine works: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine.html

This page tracks the various vaccine candidates and has links to further info about them: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

The guidance for influenza vaccine for egg allergic individuals was revised in I believe 2018.

See https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...seasonal-influenza-vaccine-2019-2020.html#II7

IV.5 Additional Vaccine Safety Considerations

Influenza vaccine is safe and well tolerated. Contraindications, precautions, and common adverse events are described in Section II. Additional information regarding egg-allergic individuals and GBS is provided below.

Egg-allergic individuals

After careful review of clinical and post-licensure safety data, NACI has concluded that egg-allergic individuals may be vaccinated against influenza using any appropriate product, including LAIV, without prior influenza vaccine skin test and with the full dose, irrespective of a past severe reaction to egg and without any particular consideration, including vaccination setting. The amount of trace ovalbumin allowed in influenza vaccines that are authorized for use in Canada is associated with a low risk of adverse events. The observation period post-vaccination is as recommended in Vaccine Safety in Part 2 of the CIG. As with all vaccine administration, vaccine providers should be prepared with the necessary equipment, knowledge, and skills to respond to a vaccine emergency at all times.

Refer to the Statement on Seasonal Influenza Vaccine for 2018–2019 for safety data supporting this recommendation for IIV and LAIV.

END QUOTE

The US CDC has a webpage with information about egg allergy and flu vaccine: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/egg-allergies.htm

Of course, if one has questions or concerns one should consult one's physician.

Just a query but if Cdn snowbirds in Florida who have bucked the advice of our Fed Gov't, risked everything including their health and our tax dollars assuming we will bail them out and fly them home gratis if they get the virus, actually get the vaccine this winter (prob pay cash out of pocket) before the rest of Cdn seniors - will they get their vaccine passport issued by Florida for bonus early international travel ie cruises? I have parents, friends and family who obeyed our Fed Govt and our health officials and returned to Canada. Many of whom had no real home to return to but are shacking up in their adult kids back rooms or in trailers with little heat. Most conscientious snowbirds have done the right thing and are here in Canada. Some are very worried about a backlash when they return to Florida when Floridians should get the vaccine first. The divisions and anger is growing. ps I have neighbours in their late 70s and early 80s who are working in Walmart and our grocery stores as essential workers. They ain't working for fun. They have to work to pay their mortgage, property tax and put food on the table. What's fair doesn't even begin to address this. Simmering anger is about right.

The vaccine in the US is free, just as it is in Canada, purchased by the federal government [US / Canada respectively].

[ see: https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/explaining-operation-warp-speed/index.html QUOTE: "The Administration is committed to providing free or low-cost COVID-19 countermeasures to the American people as fast as possible. Any vaccine or therapeutic doses purchased with US taxpayer dollars will be given to the American people at no cost." ]

When I was studying emergency management in university (in the US) many years ago, one of our courses did a segment on pandemics. One of the tenets of pandemic response is that when a vaccine becomes available, you (government) vaccinate *everyone* for *free*, regardless of their status, insurance, ability to pay etc. You do this because the goal is to stop the pandemic through protecting the population and achieving herd immunity, so you need as many people to be vaccinated as possible. Vaccinating everyone for free removes many [not all, unfortunately] barriers to access.

So, snowbirds [who are effectively temporary residents] get free vaccines, along with the rest of the population.

This is from Charlotte County, FL:

http://charlotte.floridahealth.gov/events/2021/01/CharlotteCOVID-19VaccineInfo.html"As it becomes available to the public, non-Florida residents will not be treated any differently than permanent residents of Florida. "

As for repatriation, Canada has made clear if you choose to travel against government advice you are on your own. So if you get sick with covid outside Canada you are stuck with the local health systems where you are, unless you have travel medical / evacuation insurance that can get you back to Canada [and there may be challenges evacuating you back if you have covid vs eg had a heart attack]. I've seen reporting in social media about a Canadian couple who are covid positive and stuck in Florida because no airline will let them fly back to Canada, but can't find media reporting about it so don't know if it is true or just rumor...

What are your thoughts on this? They're not even just saying to fly, but to go to public places like movie theaters, stadiums etc...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/27/tech/coronavirus-vaccine-passport-apps/index.html

Provincial government officials in Ontario have already said proof of vaccination may be needed to engage in certain activities:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/12...ation-those-without-it-may-face-restrictions/

Ontario’s health minister says residents who choose not to receive the COVID-19 vaccine could face certain restrictions.

Christine Elliott says the province will not make the shot mandatory, but some activities like travel or access to communal spaces such as movie theatres could eventually be restricted for those who opt not to get immunized.

Elliott says the province will issue government documentation so that people can prove they have received the vaccine.

END QUOTE

Also

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontarian...vid-19-vaccine-health-minister-says-1.5222009
https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...ontario-will-give-you-a-card-to-prove-it.html

Agree with this! I honestly couldn't even tell you where my kid's vaccine records are now. I do remember that one of them was falling apart last time I saw it.

Oh this is very interesting . I dealt with public health and the kids vaccines when we returned after living three year sun the USA. They were so confused about names of vaccines , the dosing , schedules, whether what occurred in the US was adequate to Canadian standards etc .. it was a nightmare. With all these diff vaccines coming. Different lengths between shots, some only requiring one injection this could be duo being a nightmare too ..

Oh this is very interesting . I dealt with public health and the kids vaccines when we returned after living three year sun the USA. They were so confused about names of vaccines , the dosing , schedules, whether what occurred in the US was adequate to Canadian standards etc .. it was a nightmare. With all these diff vaccines coming. Different lengths between shots, some only requiring one injection this could be duo being a nightmare too ..

Quite honestly, I never found the doctors here all that great about marking our vaccine records. For my first child, I know they all got recorded up through the 4 year booster, but after that, nothing has been marked. Our youngest, I think they only marked the first few shots, and nothing after that. So their cards wouldn't be accurate at all.

Also, myself personally, even on personal medical records, they weren't great. So, I had the Whooping Cough booster when DD was born, because that was right around the time cases were starting to rise again; they had realized oh crap, these don't actually give life long immunity. I had also received a tetanus booster in the ER a couple years before that.

So that's fine. It was coming up near the time when I knew my tetanus would be due, but I was pretty sure the shot I had when DD was born contained tetanus as well, but I wasn't 100% sure. So I called my doctor's office to find out thinking it would be easily found, noted on my digital records. Well, let me tell you, I was wrong. They had to go digging back through years of paper records to find out what I had actually received and when. It took a few days before I ever heard back.

So, while on one hand yes, I dislike requiring the vaccine, I do like the idea of a digital record, that is easily accessed anywhere, anytime.

Quite honestly, I never found the doctors here all that great about marking our vaccine records. For my first child, I know they all got recorded up through the 4 year booster, but after that, nothing has been marked. Our youngest, I think they only marked the first few shots, and nothing after that. So their cards wouldn't be accurate at all.

Also, myself personally, even on personal medical records, they weren't great. So, I had the Whooping Cough booster when DD was born, because that was right around the time cases were starting to rise again; they had realized oh crap, these don't actually give life long immunity. I had also received a tetanus booster in the ER a couple years before that.

So that's fine. It was coming up near the time when I knew my tetanus would be due, but I was pretty sure the shot I had when DD was born contained tetanus as well, but I wasn't 100% sure. So I called my doctor's office to find out thinking it would be easily found, noted on my digital records. Well, let me tell you, I was wrong. They had to go digging back through years of paper records to find out what I had actually received and when. It took a few days before I ever heard back.

So, while on one hand yes, I dislike requiring the vaccine, I do like the idea of a digital record, that is easily accessed anywhere, anytime.
Not sure about your doctor but mine is on the money. I received a call about six weeks ago to book an appointment to get two vaccines that were due, I never would have known. While I was there she checked my records to make sure I was up to date on my tetanus shot. I have a follow up appointment for a booster shot I apparently need that she booked me in for.
I have found this level of maintenance for not only myself but for all members of my family. If your doctor doesn't keep good records maybe it's time to look for a new one. I would not be happy if I could not call and get the information I needed within hours.

Not sure about your doctor but mine is on the money. I received a call about six weeks ago to book an appointment to get two vaccines that were due, I never would have known. While I was there she checked my records to make sure I was up to date on my tetanus shot. I have a follow up appointment for a booster shot I apparently need that she booked me in for.
I have found this level of maintenance for not only myself but for all members of my family. If your doctor doesn't keep good records maybe it's time to look for a new one. I would not be happy if I could not call and get the information I needed within hours.

I think that's the problem - we used to have a different family doctor, then switched later. The old doctor just used paper records (though to be fair, almost all of them did at that point, at least here) so when I switched to the new doctor while HE inputs everything into the computer, all the old records were just left on paper. So, moving forward, we should be able to easily call and she'll be able to just look on the computer quickly. But even at the ER the night I had to get the tetanus shot (2008), no one marked it down on a card or anything for me. But maybe that's normal.

Got no problem with the vaccine passport. Have had to take other vaccines in the past to travel to certain countries, so no problem with this. I'm hoping like in the States, they give out a I've Been Vaccinated button to wear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter