Urgent Advice Req'd!!---& Finally!!

WEll done Mr Ed have a great holiday now, but certainly make sure trading standards etc keep on top of that horrible holiday firm!

I am so pleased for you that you managed to get it all sorted out!!

Glad you can now start to put it behind you and have the wonderful Christmas holiday the whole family needs after all that stress.

Wishing you a wonderful trip!!

I read this thread with utter disbelief. I am just so glad that it's all sorted. I can't imagine what I would do if the same thing happened to me. (We are going on the 14th December). I hope you have the most fantastic holiday ever!!!!

OMG - I've just caught up with this thread :faint: :faint:

I cannot believe how this company have acted:eek: It is actually terrifying.

Thank goodness you're all sorted now, though, Ed. You will have such a great time it will all (in time) seem like a long distant memory.

That's another company on the black list.

I've furious just reading about it . . . I can imagine how you all feel :rolleyes1

Like so many others I have been reading this daily, keeping up with the NIGHTMARE!!, I know it sounds horrible but I'm so pleased it hadn't happened to me, I just wouldn't have been able to cope - I think you should give yourself a pat on the back for finally getting it sorted :rolleyes: Have a wonderful time over there, and have a very MERRY christmas (i think you will need a MERRY one after all the trouble you have had sorting it out. :teeth:

ttfn
Sharon

Hello again! I have copied my entire time line log for your bedtime reading! It's a bit long winded and I apologies for the spelling and grammar (it was wriiten under great stress)! I hope by posting it other people can avoid a similar experience, but I don't know what I could have done to prevent this myself?

Holiday Booking Number 2019 – Florida for 17 nights – departing 16th December 2005.

1) Approx’ end of March. Search by Eddie Moir (EM), via teletext for holiday. Responded to advert placed by A2B Travel Agents, telephoned listed number and quoted price for flights/private villa/car hire for 17 nights in Kissimmee area of Florida. Departing from Manchester UK for Orlando international airport, via Altanta.

2) Having discussed the deal with Janette Moir (JM), EM telephoned same number for further information, ABTA and ATOL numbers, quality of accommodation, pool heat supplied, car hire details, insurance cover, etc. Agent suggests EM check out ABTA/ATOL nos.

3) EM runs internet search on ABTA number supplied etc. Satisfied dealing with a legitimate company, EM phones A2B Travel Agents and books holiday itinerary, as agreed. £600 paid via delta/switch card as deposit.

4) End of April, No receipt or any correspondence received. EM contacts A2B via same phone number to express concern. Initial conversation worries EM further until Agent questioned on trip and supplies correct itinerary information. Agent promises to send confirmation out.

5) Beginning of May (two weeks later) still no documentation! EM contacts A2B via same phone number. Assured by agent there is no problem, just a backlog in paperwork and confirmation to be sent out immediately.

6) Confirmation arrives end of this week. Letter signed by J.M.Hayward for A2B Travel Agents. Receipt attached showing same address- 3 Meadow Walk, but name is John Tipping Travel. Slight mistakes with two names on final itinerary document. These mistakes immediately communicated to A2B via phone number on document.

7) No further contact until 7th October when EM phones to pay final balance, as directed by A2B. £2198.79. Details taken (to be passed on to appropriate accounts clerk).

8) Message left on EM’s home answer phone 17th October to contact A2B ASAP

9) EM contacts A2B 18th October. Female agent very “sheepishly” informs EM that a £60 per person fuel surcharge is to be added and do we want to proceed. EM states that he is not happy about this but still wants the holiday and if he cancels he would lose booking deposit (£600) so agrees to pay increased balance. £2438.79. Agent states EM could write to complain.

10) Balance paid via credit card. Confirmation arrives within two weeks. Again receipt from John Tipping Travel. No further information supplied.

11) Monday 21st November, EM contacts A2B to enquire about ticket delivery. Assured no problem and tickets were to be dispatched shortly.

12) Monday 28th November, EM becoming concerned, contacts A2B to, again, enquire about dispatch date for tickets. Worried arrival may be delayed due to increased Christmas post.
Promised a call back from person dealing with booking. EM called again at 16:40 due to no return call. Agent (Joe) gives mobile number as alternative contact of booking agent after prolonged persistence by EM. EM phones mobile number at 16:50 talks to Majer. Majer acknowledges he has a message to contact EM and promises to call back with more information in half an hour (approx’ 17:15). No return call!! EM phones mobile number twice at 17:45 without answer. EM leaves message to return call ASAP. EM calls A2B at 17:50- not answered. Phoned mobile number at 18:30/19:30/20:00 not answered.

13) Tuesday 29th November 9:55am Majer phones EM from different number (0207 637 3575) and guarantees tickets by the end of the week!

14) Friday 2nd December 10am EM contacts A2B and requests Majer to return call ASAP. 14:20, EM calls alternative number (0207 637 3575) and asks to speak to Majer. After lengthy discussion and initial assurances from Major that all was ok, EM asks if he phoned Delta would they be able to confirm seats booked on appropriate flights in Moir party names. Majer then admitted flights not booked and that there had been a problem with an employee that ‘had left under a cloud’ Majer stated he was trying to book the flights and upon questioning was able to give details of original itinerary. However, when asked if the accommodation was booked, he mentioned he was not dealing with the hotel booking (original booking was for villa accommodation)! It was agreed between EM and Majer that Majer would keep EM informed daily of progress (good or bad). EM phoned ABTA at 14:40 for advise…requested to email details.. emailed at 15:00. Majer contacts EM mobile at 19:00 and leaves message (saved) stating flight tickets not booked but would continue attempt to book over the weekend.

15) Saturday 3rd December 10am, JM contacts A2B. Staff deny any knowledge of the booking and deny all responsibility. Staff member Anne states this is nothing to do with A2B and was booked with “a man in a back room”. Anne goes on to say only Mr Majer has the details, nothing to do with this booking is held on file. On further questioning Anne states Mr Majer is her boss and the owner of the company, which is called A2B Travel, but only he can help us. Alternate numbers called but JM unable to contact Majer. EM contacts A2B and asks to speak to Juliet Hayward (booking clerk on confirmation document) initially he is told she isn’t there. When he informs the A2B staff member J.Hayward was the booking clerk, so that they must have details on file, he is told J.Hayward has left the company! EM asks for A2B office staff to contact Majer and request return call. EM contacts all given phone numbers for A2B and Majer. EM emails concerns to ATOL/Trading Standards/BBC Watchdog. EM contacts John Tipping Travel (number on credit card receipt) and speaks to agent that informs him this is a company owned by Majer and John Tipping still appears on some receipts/paperwork. After receiving further information regarding the legal authorisation for a company to impose a surcharge and finding that A2B are not on the permitted list, EM contacts A2B to inform them of this and also express deep disappointment, disgust and frustration at the manner in which this has been dealt with and to convey the stress and upset this has/is causing the family. EM also stated he could not accept the lack of responsibility being adopted by ALL members of A2B staff. EM then asked the agent he was speaking to for her full name and that of Majer, reluctantly she gave them as Anne Foster and Majer Kang. EM told her he held her responsible for dealing this situation and that by ignoring the requests for information and basic customer service she may be implicating herself in some form of fraudulent dealing. Anne Foster at this point asked Mr Moir to hold the line and within 30 seconds came back to say Major had been in the office that morning, had picked up the messages and had just said via mobile to the office, that he would contact Mr Moir when he had got home. No call from Majer was received. EM called Majer at 17:00- no reply.

16) Sunday 4th December EM calls all given numbers for A2B none answered. EM called Majer via mobile twice unanswered, but left courteous messages to return calls and expressed extreme concerns and disappointment with the situation and poor customer care.

17) Internet search shows availability of flights with original carrier, as per itinerary. Also, availability for alternative, similar Florida holidays. JM phoned two reputable, known travel agents advertising on Teletext and get accurate quotes for alternate, similar Florida holidays. One company to return call the other had some availability at similar price for similar itinerary and quality.

18) EM contacts credit card company for advise. Relieved with positive response.

19) EM and JM upset, stressed, confused, disappointed and angry but feeling totally helpless, now urgently require a conclusion to the situation and any help and assistance anyone can give. The holiday is in part a Christmas present for EM/JM’s two children (11 and 8). Annual Pass tickets have been purchased for use on this holiday at Walt Disney World as have tickets to swim with dolphins at Discovery Cove and tickets for the Cirque du Soleil show and Busch Gardens them park as well as hotel accommodation for a two night stay at the coast. Not to mention currency exchange, clothing, toiletries, etc. All of this was purchased after and dependent upon this holiday being professionally arranged and expedited by the agent.

20) 21:10 4th Call received from Majer Kang- asked if we could alter travel plans slightly. EM states he would prefer to keep itinerary as close as possible to original plan and that due to extreme stress, upset and bad feeling caused and incredibly poor customer service reasonable compensation should be made! EM re-affirmed that flights from UK to Orlando (irrespective of connection routes), villa with private pool and heat and car with fully comp insurance is expected for the dates agreed. If this cannot be met a reasonable alternative must be offered. Mr Majer Kang agreed. Mr Kang confirmed when asked that the booking was with A2B Travel. EM stated that he had been reading ABTA code of conduct and Mr Kangs obligations as Principle/Member. Mr Kang stated case could go to court and Mr Kang would end up paying compensation and costs but would prefer an amicable resolution. The conversation ended with a promise of a call Monday 5th Dec around 12pm.

20) 09:00 5th Dec EM calls A2B to pass message to Majer Kang – Internet search shows all original flights available with Delta (original carrier)! Majer calls EM shortly after and information is repeated. Call from Teletext to discuss problem and EM asked for more details (exact date advert seen, phone no. listed on ad, etc). Email from Trading Standards, basic advice that contract not broke until 16th etc. EM prices alternative hols of similar type. EM calls A2B at 13:00, representative states he is transferring to Majer Kang, line goes dead. EM calls Majer via mobile, Majer states NO availability with Delta. EM disputes. Majer states he will not be booking flights available! Majer states EM can take him to court. EM requests honesty and reasonable, decent customer care and a true evaluation of chances of holiday being booked as per contract. Majer Kang states he has been totally honest throughout the situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EM states lies about there being no problems during initial calls around 21/28th November. Majer Kang states he will again try to book flights tomorrow (6th Dec) Why not this afternoon?? EM requests email address- Majer supplies majerkane@hotmail.com ! EM promises to send email asking for details of accommodation and car hire A2B have booked as part of contract and details of evidence that attempts to book flights have been made. Majer promises to supply info via email. EM tries to continue with the rest of his life for remainder of the day! Further phone call from Teletext, same story more, exact details required, this later followed up with email from Teletext (cannot proceed without exact date of seeing ad)! Phone call around 15:00 from Trading Standards, advise EM not to get involved in searching for, booking flights in case there are associated problems. Trading Standards further advise to write to Majer Kang asking if he can book the holiday itinerary and if not by 16th Dec, EM will be seeking a full refund and also reimbursement for all associated purchases- WDW park tickets, discovery cove tickets, cirque du soleil tickets, Busch garden tickets, hotel accommodate (2 nights at Tampa).

21) 08:00am 6th Dec. EM sends copy of letter via email to Majer Kang. 09:00 JM calls ATOL and leaves message requesting return call. JM calls ABTA and is informed they will appoint a caseworker that will contact JM. JM calls A2B and leaves message requesting Majer Kang return call. JM contacts Majer Kang via mobile. MK promises call back when he reaches his office.
MK does keep his word and calls JM!!! MK states flights “virtually” guaranteed with different carrier! JM re-iterates the severity of the situation and that alternate package on hold. MK states he can reimburse full amount, “if that is what you want”. JM agrees that this would be best way forward at this stage but only if money can be deposited on to credit card account by 12pm. MK states he can complete but by 5:30pm!! Compromise reached of 12:30pm to enable EM/JM to book alternate holiday by end of day. EM contacts credit card company to request transaction notification. EM/JM panic and stress out for 2 hours but try to continue with their day jobs!!
13:00 Credit card company rep calls to state no transaction received! JM calls MK. MK states he will not return money as he has received email from EM stating if holiday itinerary cannot be met, full reimbursement plus cost of additional park tickets, etc will be sought (£3038.79 & £2021.35). EM talks to MK stating if money paid for flights/accommodation/car hire can be returned today, enabling booking of alternative holiday all theme park/show tickets will still be valid and further claim for this amount will not be necessary! MK requests email to this effect.
EM sends email. JM calls MK. MK instructs A2B office worker to make repayment!!! EM calls alternate travel agent and explains delay, rep offers to hold holiday for further 24 hours if necessary (now there’s some customer service). A2B state payment made. EM calls credit card company for confirmation. Rep states transaction will not show for a couple of days! Arghh! EM/JM, devastated again, pick up Georgina Moir from school! EM contacts credit card company again and speaks to billing department. Rep states, again, transaction will not show immediately. EM explains the whole sorry situation again! Rep states that if A2B will give written confirmation that money has been repaid to account, the credit card will take responsibility for resolving the situation should this not happen! Fabulous!
A2B agree to send email confirmation. EM/JM pick up Luke Moir from high school. Frantic conversations between the family, on short trip home, regarding whether holiday can be booked or not. Home- EM/JM log-on.. Huge files being received from JM’s work. JM calls A2B and requests email to be forwarded to EM email account. EM logs-on and receives email!! A2B suddenly helpful, friendly and interested!! EM contacts alternative travel agent. Extremely sympathetic rep (Kam) completes the booking with EM. Everything is done, quickly and professionally. Kam promises call back within 10mins to confirm credit card transaction. Call comes within 5 mins and holiday confirmed!!! 16:30. Joy, laughter and huge smiles replace tension and stress of last few days. Happy Days!
Georgina (8) admits to worrying about holiday going to bed on previous nights (that just isn’t fair)!

Summary of Agencies involved: -

1) A2B Travel Agency- Disgraceful. Disgraceful. Disgraceful. Total lack of responsibility and non-existent customer care throughout. Failed to notify client of problems and lied about existence of problems, among other things. Added to the stress of an already difficult situation. Delivered precisely nothing. Contravened many sections of ABTA’s code of conduct and also the sale of goods act. Imposed a fuel surcharge outside their authority :guilty: :badpc:

2) Travelwatchdog.com- Very prompt. Good advice. :)

3) Virgin Credit Card Customer Service- Excellent. Re-assuring, helpful and responsible. :)

4) ABTA- still waiting!!!! :rolleyes1

5) ATOL- still waiting!!!! :rolleyes1

6) BBC watchdog- no return contact. :rolleyes1

7) Teletext- Prompt reply and backed-up with telephone call, but they put obstacles in the way apparently to absolve themselves of any responsibility. :confused3

8) Trading standards- Prompt replies via email and telephone. Good advice and offer of further assistance if required. :)

9) Mercury Travel- Reassuringly professional and great all round customer service :banana:

No client should ever be subjected to anything approaching this abhorrent standard of customer care. It was fully avoidable with basic, good, admin procedures and a normal level of professionalism.
All ABTA bonded travel agents should, as a minimum standard, strive to uphold the code of conduct. This agency chose not to. Their actions cannot be forgiven.

Regards

Eddie Moir

what a horror!
i'm very happy to hear that you'll be going on holiday after all....
hopefully you'll be able to relax and forget this nightmare while you're there....

Wow Eddie, I think I most admire your clear headed approach to this terrible situation, you may not feel that but it shines through.
What a pity that the so called professional watchdogs of the travel industry haven`t responded - shame on them and Teletext too.
Once again have a great time. Best wishes to you and your family.

OMG thats terrible! Im glad you have it sorted now. You definately need this holiday!

You really deserve your holiday now. Good that you named and shamed the guilty parties :)

Glad its now all finally sorted, hopefully others will heed advice that ABTA/ATOL are not always the way to go, many many companies are now leaving these organisations as they are not prompt or particularly helpful with big problems like this. Unfortunately we all believe the hype that they are there in the customers interests but they are certainly not to be prefferred over good recommendations or word of mouth.

Like everyone else I have checked your thread daily for news of how things were going and am thrilled that you eventually got things sorted out. Hope you and your family have a fantastic holiday. You have all earned it :)

I am shocked and appalled by A2B's handling of the booking from beginning to end.

Glad you got everything sorted in the end, but you shouldn't have had to endure all that stress.

Have a magical holiday at WDW :earsboy:

I have just caught up with this thread - I am glad that you got it sorted out Ed. I wish you and your family a great break - you doubly deserve it.

Just a thought, and its your call entirely, but you could bring a small claims court action upon your return for the difference you ended up paying and the amount you had paid the errant agent. Nothing you have don so far would prevent this. Assuming that you were successful in obtaining a judgment, and IMHO you would be, you could seek reimbursement directly from your credit card issuer (Virgin/MBNA) who are legally liable, and leave it to them to pursue the agent. (They would simply charge it back through the agent's bank, who would debit them directly).

Just to correct something on page 2 of the thread said by Laura, which might be of interest to everyone.
Laurafoster said:
If the amount has already come out of your account for more than 30 days there is little the credit card company can do about it straight away. You can fill out a claim form and it has to go off to the financial services autority to be looked into - i used to work in a bank and i know someone who did this and it took months for her to get her money back ...BUT...

she DID get her money back in the end so fingers crossed!!

The credit card charge back window is 6 months, not 30 days HOWEVER under the Consumer Credit Act for card users in England and Wales the credit card company is as liable as the merchant for transactions over £100.00 and under £15,000.00. This liability on the part of the card issuer extends to the whole amount of the contract, not just the element paid for using the credit card. This liability is only governed by the statute of limitations, so is 7 years - not 6 months.

You get no protection if you pay for something using a Switch/Delta debit card - whereas if you use a credit card you get complete protection. If you use a charge card (e.g. Amex charge card, or NatWest Gold Mastercard) you do not legally acquire any protection HOWEVER it is my understanding that those issuers voluntarilly extend the same level of protection to their customers as if it was a credit card covered by the Consumer Credit Act. To be safe though, just use a credit card.

Halo,

thats great information, thank you. I intended writing to the Travel Agent and copying this to ABTA/ATOL seeking compensation, as per ABTA code of conduct and asking for, at least, 50% of the difference between the original deal and the new deal I booked with the other company.

If this is refused, how do I go about raising an action in a small claims court?

Cheers
Ed

Really chuffed you got everything sorted out ~ Hope you have a fantastic holiday.

Hi

Just had a thought - did you take out travel insurance - as I wonder whether you can speak to them about it - they might be able to claim on your behalf?

Glad you have got a holiday sorted though - have a lovely time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter