Urgent Advice Req'd!!---& Finally!!

Mr Ed

Mouseketeer
We booked in March with a teletext company and are due to travel on 16th Dec. (2 adults 2 kids, flights/villa/car to Orlando, 16 nights).

The tickets haven't arrived! I have been chasing them for a couple of week and had the usual brush off's.

Yesterday, after much questioning, the manager admitted the flights had not yet been booked, but "there were more ways to skin a cat"

Obviously this is extremely worrying! The company have been very unhelpful over the last few weeks... I have had to chase them, they have consistently failed with promises of return calls etc, although the manager did return a call late last night (to say he had not been able to book flights yet)!

When I sent in the payment of the final invoice, they contacted me (Oct) to say I had to pay a fuel surcharge of £60 per head!?! This now seems extremely strange given that no flights have been booked!

I have contacted ABTA and await their response (they are ABTA bonded)

My wife has phoned this morning, again expressing our concerns and the representative said that the company have no details of this booking, it is not booked with them, it is booked with a third party (name supplied) This third party is the company owner/manager!?!

We initially phoned the number from a teletext advert for this company, all correspondence has the company name on it. We are being told the names/ signitures on documentation are people that have now left their employment. We do not know what to do? who to contact next? Do we involve the police?

If we, at this late stage, ask to cancel, presumably the company will be able to say "thank you very much"and keep all our money, so we have to continue to allow them to attempt to book our holiday (but are they really doing anything)?

Obviously, we are very upset and confused! I would be extremely grateful to anyone that could offer me any advise.

We have decided we are going whatever the outcome, but cannot attempt to book alternative arrangements incase this one comes through!!!

Please help!!!

Ed

Oh Ed I'm so sorry :guilty: This is so unfair to your whole family and I can't believe an ABTA bonded company can behave like this! You have contacted ABTA which was the right thing to do, but what to do next I'm not sure. I don't think they can put extra charges on so late as the price you were quoted/ invoiced for is unchangeable unless you make an amendment.

The police may well palm you off to trading standards. I would try ABTA again speaking to a proper voice and then trading standards. With your holiday so close though, you may be back before you hear anything.

So sorry this has happened to you and hope someone else here can help you more. Just wanted to show support,

Claire xx

Sorry to hear of your problems. I know that if a company wants to impose a surcharge after booking then this has to be agreed by ABTA they cannot just do it. Not alot more to add other than I hope things do work out for you.
Claire ;)

thank you, I just needed to get things off my chest. Your support is much appreciated

Ed

Here is a list of companies currently allowed to impose the surcharge as agreed by ABTA. Is the company you booked with mentioned there?
Claire ;)

Claire, thanks again, but no! the company we have booked with is not on this list.
I do want to post their name on here, but its probably not right to do so!?!

Ed, I'm so sorry about what you are going through. It's so awful.

I'm not sure there is a quick and easy solution to this - and that must be what you want given the time you have to sort things out.

I cannot imagine for one reason why this company has not booked your flights yet?? That is unbelievable - like they are waiting for the chance of some last minute to offer to come along and increase their profit margin maybe??

I think that the problem you have is that it's basic contract law - you enter into a contract that you pay this company money, and they supply the flights / holiday described. The problem you have is that you don't really have any grievance until they breach the contract ie fail to supply what they have contracted to do. That's not going to happen until 16th December, if at all.

All I think you can do in the meantime is keep onto ABTA, contact Trading Standards, contact Watchdog, and just keep on and on. I'm sure this company will do at all they can to avoid bad publicity and I don't think it will do your cause any harm to show them that you mean business.

Also, in the meantime, perhaps start looking at a contingency plan ie flights villa etc, just so you know what is available and can book as quickly as possible if (but hopefully not) the time ever comes.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Please let us know of progress.

PS I think you are well entitled to name the company - other people may be able to tell you their experiences, and it may make people who were considering using them to think twice.

Yes do name them if only to stop this scenario happening to someone else.
Claire ;)

This is so terrible for you ~ Hope you get things sorted out :grouphug:

Thank you all very much for your replies.

Emailed ABTA / ATOL / BBCWatchdog / Trading Standards. Still devastated, but kind of smiling thanks to getting things off my chest and your support.

Wife determined to go one way or the other, so this is making me feel better, but will also empty my pockets :confused3 .

Problem is, if we don't go... It will be a waste of our annual passes and I've also got tickets for discovery cove, hoping to go to cirque du soleil on christmas eve as surprises! I've a two night reservation at a hotel near busch gardens etc etc!

Chests gonna explode!!

Ed - this is awful, how stressful for you. I very much hope things work out!

Just a quick question? Did you book via credit card? If so, there may be a way out of this if you call your CC provider, they could dispute the charge, refund the money and you could book elsewhere? Or use this as a threat to the company concerned?

Good grief this is terrible customer service, I can''t believe it!

Yes, it was booked via CC (deposit via switch), I am just wondering that if I do this now, would I be breaking the contract (i.e. cancelling at very late notice) and if so, presumably the company would be able to sting me for the full amount??

This is a really poo'y situation!

Latest news, just phoned their Buckingham office... The Manager/Owner has been in and received all our messages, the staff are telling me he won't tell any of them what is going on, they have contacted him via mobile (doesn't answer when I try it) and he told them he will contact me when he gets home!!!

I just know this won't happen! Arghhhhh!

Mr Ed,

What a dreadful thing to happen and what appaling customer service.
I agree that you should name and shame them if only to stop anyone else here using them.

I hope he does call you this evening and that you do get things soerted out. Me well I am in a tiz if the taxi is 2 minutes late so goodness knows how you feel!

Sending a bucket of pixie dust to you! :earsgirl:

Mr Ed said:
Yes, it was booked via CC (deposit via switch), I am just wondering that if I do this now, would I be breaking the contract (i.e. cancelling at very late notice) and if so, presumably the company would be able to sting me for the full amount??

This is a really poo'y situation!

Latest news, just phoned their Buckingham office... The Manager/Owner has been in and received all our messages, the staff are telling me he won't tell any of them what is going on, they have contacted him via mobile (doesn't answer when I try it) and he told them he will contact me when he gets home!!!

I just know this won't happen! Arghhhhh!

I would say thatb they have broken the trems of their contract with you by failing to provide the goods and services you have paid for. Contact your credit card ASAP

If the amount has already come out of your account for more than 30 days there is little the credit card company can do about it straight away. You can fill out a claim form and it has to go off to the financial services autority to be looked into - i used to work in a bank and i know someone who did this and it took months for her to get her money back ...BUT...

she DID get her money back in the end so fingers crossed!!

I've just booked my flights through a company of teletext. Who did you book with. Please name them.

:cool1:

Right people..still no return call, surprise, surprise!
I am still confused, devastated, angry, stressed to hell and not functioning straight and I feel naming this company could jepordise my position (I know this is rubbish, but I'm having a bad day)!! So I won't name them, but I am going to give everyone the benefit of my experience with the following advice ;) be very wary of having any dealings with a company called A2B Travel Buckingham.

trying to smile Ed

Please keep us all posted about what happens with your holiday - good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter