• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I think it can vary quite a bit from family to family, depending on your spending habits.

I have 2 kids of similar ages, plus DH. We usually budget $150-$200/day for food (including snacks), because we like table service and character meals. We might budget on the low end this coming trip, because we've done most character meals by now. So the type of meals and number of park days are things to consider when you budget (our park days are more snack heavy).

For souvenirs, I don't budget much ($50-$100 total), because we're not big shoppers. I agree that the Disney Visa is a better deal sometimes, but I never carry my wallet when we go to the park, so I prefer to charge it on my magic band and pay later with GC. For our coming trip, I will have to budget more for souvenirs, because my DD wants a droid and my DS wants a lightsaber. But that's something I can plan for ahead of time.

I tend to buy less in GC than what I think I'll need, because I can find other ways to save money if I run out of GC funds, but I'd have a harder time finding a way to spend money leftover. I don't like having money tied up, even if we go quite often.
Thank you! This is super helpful!

I am with you on the "err on the conservative side" especially after a really annoying experience with traveling to Aulani (which happened to coincide with a once in a lifetime pandemic).

Added Offers ~ 7/21/21

Discount District

Kroger:
View attachment 591136

Save $3 on Visa or Mastercard Gift Card
Limit 1. Link (search "giftcards)​
Expires 7/27/21 DOC
View attachment 591138

• Earn 200 Fuel Points on Happy Gift Card YMMV
View attachment 591139
Happy Eats is shown as the only qualifying gift card however, Happy Moments is the image on Kroger's website. I'm sure they are all included.... :confused:
I have to say - I bought a $250 gift card at Kroger (getting 5% back from my CC and 4x fuel points) and ended up taking an unexpected road trip the next weekend. I was ecstatic to have the $1.10 off per gallon!

Adding this on here; just purchased two Disney GCs from BJ's, one for $500 and one for a custom amount of $400. I thought my total of $879.99 was fishy, because the discount came out to only about 2.5%, but having just checked the receipt I noticed they did not discount the custom $400 GC. Not sure if this is normal or not, but if you're grabbing cards please don't be like me and forget to check to make sure the discounts are applied before you check out!

Adding this on here; just purchased two Disney GCs from BJ's, one for $500 and one for a custom amount of $400. I thought my total of $879.99 was fishy, because the discount came out to only about 2.5%, but having just checked the receipt I noticed they did not discount the custom $400 GC. Not sure if this is normal or not, but if you're grabbing cards please don't be like me and forget to check to make sure the discounts are applied before you check out!
That's normal :( Variable amount cards don't get a discount. Sorry to be bearer of bad news!

I might have missed a post with this but my Chase Freedom has an offer of 10% back up to $8.00 for purchases made at Giant food stores. This would be the Giant with the solid red logo and not the one with a multi-colored logo nor is it Giant Eagle. Expires 8/13.

Added Offers ~ 7/22/21

Discount District
Giant/Martin’s/Stop & Shop: Earn 3x Points On Visa Gift Cards
Offer valid July 23-29, 2021. GC Galore

Giant Eagle Online:
Amazon & Credit Card Offers
Best Western AmEx Offers: Spend $100 & Get $20 Back
Expires 9/20/2021. Doctor of Credit

Wayfair Amex Offer: Spend $100 & Get $20 Back Targeted
Expires 9/03/21. GC Galore

Giant Food Chase Freedom Offer: Get 10% back up to $8.00 for purchases
Expires 8/13/ 21. Post #3785

MISC.
Belk: Buy $100 Belk Gift Cards For $80
Expires July 23, 2021(?). GC Galore

PayPal Digital Gifts: Buy $50 Old Navy Gift Cards For $40
Earn an additional 5% cashback when paying with a Discover It card this quarter.​
Expiry date unknown. GC Galore

PayPal / Venmo:
  • Spend $50+ At Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Footaction or Champs Sports stores.& Get $10 Back using PayPal or Venmo with QR Code.
  • Get $10 the first time you spend $40+ at Giant Eagle, GetGo & Market District using PayPal or Venmo with QR Code.
  • Spend $20 At CVS & Get $10 Back When Paying With QR Code
    • One-time only. Valid in-store. Direct link
    • Not valid at CVS locations inside Target stores.
    • Excludes any purchases of lottery, prepaid gift cards, licenses, money orders, money transfers, and CarePass enrollments.
    • Expiry date unknown. GCG
Raise: Save 5% Sitewide With Promo Code BFJULY
Maximum savings of $20.​
Limit 1 use per household. Direct link to offer
Not valid on cash back gift cards.​
Expires 7/23/21. GCG

Starbucks Summer Game 2021: Get Two Free Play Per Day

Will Walmart let me buy a gift card with a gift card?
No. I don't think anywhere allows that anymore. Your best bet is to use those giftcards for things you'd normally buy at walmart, then set that cash you'd have used otherwise aside to buy DGC somewhere else.

I'm a lazy shopper, but I just used RMN to go to ShopDisney & bought a $25 GC. I'm hoping for 5% back from RMN & 2% from my debit card. ( I got the email that it tracked, so at least that part is on track)

I also went through Dosh to Sam's & bought a $50 GC. I'm hoping for 4.04% immediate discount + 2% from Dosh + 2% from my debit card. (Already Dosh shows $0.95 pending, but who knows?)

I haven't done any GC buying in a while, and I don't have energy/time to jump through hoops, so I'm hoping at least one of these will track & work for me over the next few months as I prep for a November one day stop at MK & a real December trip....I know neither are very reliable.

I limit myself greatly by not using credit cards, and my location limits me on store choice, so if you're in the same boat, I'm just hoping my experience might be helpful.

Will Walmart let me buy a gift card with a gift card?
No. I don't think anywhere allows that anymore. Your best bet is to use those giftcards for things you'd normally buy at walmart, then set that cash you'd have used otherwise aside to buy DGC somewhere else.

My Walmart DP's do not have that information posted.
There are still some stores that allow gc purchases with gc's and this method is considered YMMV.

Before responding, I did google to see what I could find out and as far as some sites, articles posted just last year 2020 bloggers were stating it was possible. Some even stated it's up to the manager. On the flip side, they also wrote Walmart doesn't sell DGC online, which they do.

We know Walmart GC cannot be use at Sam's to buy DGC, but can you buy DGC with Walmart gc in store/online at Walmart, for me this is unknown.

Again, I would try in store. On the main page Post #2 Discount District you'll find Walmart DP's. I hope you just try it and report back, it's okay to take one for the team!

Last edited:
I just purchased $250 Universal GC over the phone with a discounted virtual visa. The TM I spoke with said the transaction went through on her end and I was given a confirmation #.
I just received the email confirmation from Universal.
I went with free standard shipping.

Keeping my fingers crossed this transaction has no hiccups!

My Walmart DP's do not have that information posted.
There are still some stores that allow gc purchases with gc's and this method is considered YMMV.

Before responding, I did google to see what I could find out and as far as some sites, articles posted just last year 2020 bloggers were stating it was possible. Some even stated it's up to the manager. On the flip side, they also wrote Walmart doesn't sell DGC online, which they do.

We know Walmart GC cannot be use at Sam's to buy DGC, but can you buy DGC with Walmart gc, for me this is unknown.

Again, I would try in store. On the main page Post #2 Discount District you'll find Walmart DP's. I hope you just try it and report back, it's okay to take one for the team!
I'm going to test this a little later today. I have around $46 left on a Walmart GC that is linked to Walmart Pay. I need another $50 DGC anyway.

I just purchased $250 Universal GC over the phone with a discounted virtual visa. The TM I spoke with said the transaction went through on her end and I was given a confirmation #.

I hope it works. I'd love to do this... Did you try online and the virtual Visa card didn't work?

I hope it works. I'd love to do this... Did you try online and the virtual Visa card didn't work?

I did not try online because the description of accepted payment methods simply said credit cards, that's why I made the call.

UOR Gift Cards scroll down and click on
  • Gift Card FAQs
    • What forms of payment are accepted for gift cards?
      • Universal Orlando Resort Gift Cards may be purchased at Universal Orlando Resort with cash, credit cards or travelers' checks and online with credit cards.
I thought this was a bit vague not to mention no wording on debit prepaid cards. I added my post to the VV DP's and will update.

I've used Virtual Visas several times to purchase Universal GCs online (getting the VV as My Points rewards) and have never had an issue.

I did not try online because the description of accepted payment methods simply said credit cards, that's why I made the call.

UOR Gift Cards scroll down and click on
  • Gift Card FAQs
    • What forms of payment are accepted for gift cards?
      • Universal Orlando Resort Gift Cards may be purchased at Universal Orlando Resort with cash, credit cards or travelers' checks and online with credit cards.
I thought this was a bit vague not to mention no wording on debit prepaid cards. I added my post to the VV DP's and will update.

I've used Virtual Visas several times to purchase Universal GCs online (getting the VV as My Points rewards) and have never had an issue.

Update on Burberry Coat - Original Post #3764
Again if not interested, move forward.​

Burberry Sipson A-Line Gabardine Rain Coat $1990
Now on sale for $597.00 at Saks Fifth Avenue
Nordstrom has sold out.

Amex has a new offer: Spend $250, Get $50
Saks Fifth Ave also has a new promotion "EARN UP TO A $700 GIFT CARD" use code JULY21SF

With this new promotion, I earned a $50 Gift card, got $50 back from AmEx and earned $11.94 cash back from Rakuten
Rakuten 2% CB / Retailmenot is also 2%.

EDIT: I called Saks CS and they were no help whatsoever and I all I wanted was a price adjustment but this way I got the coat for much less. I purchased a size 4 which should fit just fine, I prefer having a little room to wear a light weight sweater but might have to do without. Note, this is a final sale.

Last edited:

This is good to know! Was this recent?
I wish people in our community would post more of their success as this would help update all the DP's listed in Discount District. :thumbsup2

Best way to liquidate $250 virtua visa? Already used other two from 10% off deal through Sam’s but the order with this card was cancelled by Sam’s, took almost 2 weeks for refund to come through so won’t try that again. Not super worried about extra savings but want an easy way to get rid of this and if I can get some more discount it would be preferred but not necessary.

I've been wanting to get back to this, sorry for the delay.
To be clear, you bought DGC using VV's online at Sam's?
Did you use anything else like a CB site or app?
Thank you, I do have this posted on the VV DP's but wanted to confirm all your information.

I believe a few others did the same and find it odd I'm not seeing more posts about this.

This is good to know! Was this recent?
I wish people in our community would post more of their success as this would help update all the DP's listed in Discount District. :thumbsup2

It was within the last month or two (I can't remember when I ordered the last one). But I have been doing it regularly for almost two years at least and have never had an issue (knock wood). I guess I never thought it wouldn't be allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter