Universal Orlando officially announces Harry Potter expansion for 2014!

New Fantasyland is also well over twice the size in area that Diagon Alley is going to be, I believe.

New Fantasyland is about 800' wide by about 250' deep
Diagon Alley is about 300' wide by about 300' deep

Avatar Land will be about the same size as Diagon Alley probably, unless they expand to the direct south of where the FotLK theatre is, in which case it could be much larger.

The shear size however is not always a good indicator though in the work involved however. You need to also look at the buildings themselves.

New Fantasyland you have 2 big "warehouse" type buildings that take up a majority of the space. Inside one of those buildings is the LM ride and M&G. The other big building contains the Belle M&G, Restrooms, and the BoG Restaurant. You then also have a couple smaller buildings which contain the shops.... and a coaster.

Diagon Alley is a MUCH more complex construction project. All you need to do is look at the current overhead to see how many different and uniquely shaped structures they are putting up within that space. The only "simple" building is the big-box which contains the Gringots Coaster.

It's a lot easier to build a big box and then outfit, decorate, and subdivide it than it is to build multiple smaller buildings.... or even a long-skinny interconnected type building. Outside load bearing walls are much more involved to work with due to their load bearing and weather proofing needs.

The shear size however is not always a good indicator though in the work involved however. You need to also look at the buildings themselves.

New Fantasyland you have 2 big "warehouse" type buildings that take up a majority of the space. Inside one of those buildings is the LM ride and M&G. The other big building contains the Belle M&G, Restrooms, and the BoG Restaurant. You then also have a couple smaller buildings which contain the shops.... and a coaster.

Diagon Alley is a MUCH more complex construction project. All you need to do is look at the current overhead to see how many different and uniquely shaped structures they are putting up within that space. The only "simple" building is the big-box which contains the Gringots Coaster.

It's a lot easier to build a big box and then outfit, decorate, and subdivide it than it is to build multiple smaller buildings.... or even a long-skinny interconnected type building. Outside load bearing walls are much more involved to work with due to their load bearing and weather proofing needs.

I disagree, I don't think the Beast's castle, the Little Mermaid attraction, and the Mine Train Mountain are simple buildings. The skeletal structure of the buildings are the easy part of construction. The rockwork/exterior artwork involved in new Fantasyland is much more involved than simply building facades to cover the show buildings.

They haven't even released images for what Diagon Alley is going to look like except for the one concept piece, how could you possibly tell what the buildings are going to be?

I disagree, I don't think the Beast's castle, the Little Mermaid attraction, and the Mine Train Mountain are simple buildings. The skeletal structure of the buildings are the easy part of construction. The rockwork/exterior artwork involved in new Fantasyland is much more involved than simply building facades to cover the show buildings.

They haven't even released images for what Diagon Alley is going to look like except for the one concept piece, how could you possibly tell what the buildings are going to be?

Beast's castle isn't even finished in the back (viewable from the train). The Litle Mermaid is a nice little redone attraction. Very good but nowhere near groundbreaking. The mine train jury is still out.

TWWOHP is the most advanced theme park ride in the US, followed by Spiderman. Why anyone wouldn't want to experience these attractions simply because they aren't "Disney" amazes and befuddles me.

There are parts of the Hogwarts building that aren't "finished" that you can see from the Forbidden Journey queue as well. :confused3

So youre comparing Universals history and pedigree to Disney's? :confused3

Disney is (was) the theme park master. The leader. The innovator. They're the one who set the pace. Were the standard. Expectations of the magic were and still are centered around Disney for most. So the fact that Universal, a company owned by Comcast, takes short cuts is hardly comparable on the same level as when Disney does it. Shame on anyone who holds Disney accountable to Universals standards!

It's getting hard to discuss Disney with People who fail to recognize what made Disney "Disney" in the first place.

So you’re comparing Universals history and pedigree to Disney's? :confused3

Disney is (was) the theme park master. The leader. The innovator. They're the one who set the pace. Were the standard. Expectations of the magic were and still are centered around Disney for most. So the fact that Universal, a company owned by Comcast, takes short cuts is hardly comparable on the sane level as when Disney does it. Shame on anyone who holds Disney accountable to Universals standards!

No, I'm not. You seemed to be, and it didn't sit right with me to see Disney criticized for something while the comments about Universal were just glowing - even though some of the same problems mentioned re:Disney apply to Universal as well. That's all. :confused3

ETA:
It's getting hard to discuss Disney with People who fail to recognize what made Disney "Disney" in the first place.

That's insulting. I absolutely recognize what makes Disney Disney. It's why I have the trips logged there that I do. If I didn't recognize it, I wouldn't be going (as I don't frequent Universal, Six Flags, or any other amusement park).

You shouldn't be posting stuff like this in the Universal Fanboy forum.

LOL. This from a comedian who has already stated in these forums that he now dislikes Universl and HP less based on what another poster wrote. Credibility has to be earned.

~LOL. I can't BELIEVE people are comparing WWOHP to frickin' Fantasyland! No wonder Disney's themepark attendance is up by 73%!!! This coming from a Disney fan! Ugh... I better call it a night.

No, I'm not. You seemed to be, and it didn't sit right with me to see Disney criticized for something while the comments about Universal were just glowing - even though some of the same problems mentioned re:Disney apply to Universal as well. That's all. :confused3

ETA:

That's insulting. I absolutely recognize what makes Disney Disney. It's why I have the trips logged there that I do. If I didn't recognize it, I wouldn't be going (as I don't frequent Universal, Six Flags, or any other amusement park).

I understand you're point and it is true that I think Universal is raising the bar in the theme park industry at a higher rate than Disney at this point but I will always hold Disney to a higher standard because that is where they came from.

I'm sorry to have insulted you (truly) but arguing what Universl does to what Disney does simply doesn't tell the whole story. There was a time just a few years ago where virtually nobody would even mention Disney and universal in the same breathe but thanks to Disney's (seemingly) incompetence and/or arrogance this is no longer the case.

~LOL. I can't people are comparing WWOHP to frickin' Fantasyland! No wonder Disney's themepark attendance is up by 73%!!! This coming from a Disney fan! Ugh... I better call it a night.

Have you been to WWoHP? It's very well done. Not without its faults (but then, neither is NFL) - but the theming is very good.

I wasn't overly impressed with the rest of IOA (it's OK, but not great, in terms of theming), but when I was in Hogsmeade, I felt like I was in the films. Much like i felt like I was inside the ballroom of the movie when I ate at Be Our Guest.

Why is it that it has to be either or? Can a true Disney fan not appreciate when a non-Disney company does something right..or is that somehow "betraying" Disney? Ridiculous.

I understand you're point and it is true that I think Universal is raising the bar in the theme park industry at a higher rate than Disney at this point but I will always hold Disney to a higher standard because that is where they came from.

I'm sorry to have insulted you (truly) but arguing what Universl does to what Disney does simply doesn't tell the whole story. There was a time just a few years ago where virtually nobody would even mention Disney and universal in the same breathe but thanks to Disney's (seemingly) incompetence and/or arrogance this is no longer the case.
~This is a very good comment and I totally agree!!!

I agree that Disney is lagging behind, and it is frustrating to see. The new Carsland in CA gives me hope that Disney is turning things around. The purchase of Lucasfilm gives me hope that they'll continue in the Carsland vein and bring something awesome to the table with the Star Wars universe.

So youre comparing Universals history and pedigree to Disney's? :confused3

Disney is (was) the theme park master. The leader. The innovator. They're the one who set the pace. Were the standard. Expectations of the magic were and still are centered around Disney for most. So the fact that Universal, a company owned by Comcast, takes short cuts is hardly comparable on the same level as when Disney does it. Shame on anyone who holds Disney accountable to Universals standards!

So it's totally fine for you to rag on Disney for their perceived failings, but no one can bring up Universal doing the same thing? Either you are being unreasonable for holding one to a different standard of acceptability than the other or you have unreasonable expectations of how the industry operates. I'm not sure that it matters which one is the correct choice.

~LOL. I can't people are comparing WWOHP to frickin' Fantasyland! No wonder Disney's themepark attendance is up by 73%!!! This coming from a Disney fan! Ugh... I better call it a night.

No, people are trying to pump up Universal for building Diagon Alley in 2+ years and fault Disney for building New Fantasyland in 4 years, without taking into account New Fantasyland is over twice the size of what Diagon Alley will be, and not even knowing what is going to be contained in it.

I like New Fantasyland. My kids love it. Neither they, nor me, have any interest in Harry Potter, so its an easy decision to make.

Disney Parks are at +73% and Universal was only at +12%. People go to see Disney because of the classic characters, the classic attractions, and the blend of the new with the old. Has the shine of the first phase of Harry Potter worn off already? As someone stated previously in this thread, does that really have the staying power to hold up over time?

So it's totally fine for you to rag on Disney for their perceived failings, but no one can bring up Universal doing the same thing? Either you are being unreasonable for holding one to a different standard of acceptability than the other or you have unreasonable expectations of how the industry operates. I'm not sure that it matters which one is the correct choice.

I absolutely have unreasonable expectations of how the industry operates. I thought that was obvious. I do not view Disney in the same light as Walmart, coca cola or General Motors. They are Disney and we should all understand what that means in a historical context. When it becomes acceptable for Disney to operate on the same model as Walmart then the real Disney no longer exists.

No, people are trying to pump up Universal for building Diagon Alley in 2+ years and fault Disney for building New Fantasyland in 4 years, without taking into account New Fantasyland is over twice the size of what Diagon Alley will be, and not even knowing what is going to be contained in it.

I like New Fantasyland. My kids love it. Neither they, nor me, have any interest in Harry Potter, so its an easy decision to make.

Disney Parks are at +73% and Universal was only at +12%. People go to see Disney because of the classic characters, the classic attractions, and the blend of the new with the old. Has the shine of the first phase of Harry Potter worn off already? As someone stated previously in this thread, does that really have the staying power to hold up over time?
You have no interest in experiencing the best theme park ride in America simply because you don't like the HP franchise? Weird. But if that same ride was a Monsters, Inc. Theme you'd be all over it? I simply don't comprehend this train of thought.

You have no interest in experiencing the best theme park ride in America simply because you don't like the HP franchise? Weird. But if that same ride was a Monsters, Inc. Theme you'd be all over it? I simply don't comprehend this train of thought.

There's a reason that they are called theme parks. The theming is part of he thing that gets people to visit. If they are not interested in that theme, why should they be excited about going there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter