Uncrustables and such

Spotthecat

Mouseketeer
Hi - just wondering what kind of food is pre-packaged on the ship that we are allowed to take off? What is this Uncrustables everyone is mentioning and where do you get them? Anything else we can take off? Yogurts? Milks?

We have a snorkeling trip in Grand Caymans that has us tendering early before lunch, and won't be back until 3:30. I have 3 kids that will be starving...even after a big breakfast.

Uncrustables are usually available through room service, make sure you request that they are still sealed.
From Cabanas there is boxed cereal and perhaps granola bars. They may also have chips.
The quick service places on the pool deck often have chips.
No fresh fruits or vegetables may be taken off and I am not sure if dairy is allowed.

I always bring goldfish crackers from home.

We've had the same conundrum twice now. We did the same as @dcassetta wisely recommended above and also ate an early breakfast and early lunch before the tendering off the ship. It helped some, plus a quick snack out in town helped tide us over (somewhat) until returning to the ship. Even with that, we had some ravenous beasts upon return. The kids were hungry too :)

DW always stocks up on the Gatorade chews to carry in her purse; it helps when the kids are hungry RIGHT NOW. Gotta love Amazon

I don't know if yogurt and milk would be allowed off. Even if they are, I wouldn't bring them because they'd be sitting out in the heat until you ate them. Warm milk and yogurt = yuck!

The boxes of cereal are a good option. Single serving bags of chips from the pool deck. I usually bring some granola bars from home to take with us in port.

Uncrustables are basically Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches - without crust - prepackaged in cellophane wrappers.

I agree with the posts above. I bring granola bars and individual bags of crackers from home. Bags of chips are available at lunchtime; individual boxes of cereal at breakfast. And I ordered unopened packages of uncrustables from room service.

Last edited:

If you need to carry milk and keep it cold, I've used a double walled stainless steel water bottle in the past. Works well enough for an excursion. Had no issues carrying it off the ship or bringing it back on. If you decide to put milk in there, you definitely want to bring soap and a bottle brush though to rinse it out in between uses.

Agree with the other posters about cereal boxes and chips. I've also brought on board granola bars, fruit snacks, go go squeeze apple sauce packs as they pack a little better.

If you need to carry milk and keep it cold, I've used a double walled stainless steel water bottle in the past. Works well enough for an excursion. Had no issues carrying it off the ship or bringing it back on. If you decide to put milk in there, you definitely want to bring soap and a bottle brush though to rinse it out in between uses.

Agree with the other posters about cereal boxes and chips. I've also brought on board granola bars, fruit snacks, go go squeeze apple sauce packs as they pack a little better.
Just a note - even if you've been allowed to take milk off the ship, it's not allowed, in most ports. And could cause problems for someone doing so.

How often is lack of access to food during a long excursion an issue? More importantly, is there an easy way to know in advance?

How often is lack of access to food during a long excursion an issue? More importantly, is there an easy way to know in advance?
Read the excursion description. It should give you a clue. If the excursion is a beach break, research the destination beach. Some have snack shacks and similar, some don't, especially post-Irma.

Sailing excursions will usually indicate if there is snack food.

Tours will either have lunch or shopping stops, or not.

Echoing PrincessShmoo -- taking milk off the ship in an unmarked container is probably going to be against the law in a lot of ports, and the fines can be incredibly steep. No judgment; just want OP to be aware of the potential consequences if they decide to try it.

Thank you all - so is Uncrustables on the room service menu? Or you're "just supposed to know"?

Our tour operator will provide juice and water, but my boys are allergic to pineapple (gives them canker sores), and most juices contain it as a blend ingredient, so we're going to stay away from any juice. They'll be fine with water. It's just the being away for 4 hours and the whole tendering - it's all messed up in my head time-wise...

Thank you all - so is Uncrustables on the room service menu? Or you're "just supposed to know"?

Our tour operator will provide juice and water, but my boys are allergic to pineapple (gives them canker sores), and most juices contain it as a blend ingredient, so we're going to stay away from any juice. They'll be fine with water. It's just the being away for 4 hours and the whole tendering - it's all messed up in my head time-wise...
No, Uncrustables are not on the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter