Turkey Legs: Tastey or Trashy?

Well, I guess there will a lot of "grossed out" people walking around this November/December. My DH loves them! :thumbsup2 He as even mentioned wanted to make sure he had one at least twice while we are there.

The one he had last year was tender and didn't have any stringy parts. He only let me have a couple of bites as it was that good. He did offer to buy one for me, however they are too large for me to eat by myself.

Just as a side note: Smoked meat is usually tender and the smoking is where the pick color comes from. The meat is completely cooked.

My DH and I each got one while we were waiting for Wishes one night. It was so greasy! The ligaments made it impossible to eat! We threw them away after a few bites. NASTY

During our last trip Nov 05, DS and I had to try one, they had a good taste, but I found them very dry, and difficult to eat while walking around the park. Maybe if in another setting, I may have enjoyed it more. That was my one and only, I'll be passing on those in the future.

Now that I read everything here, I'm even more glad that I'm a vegetarian. Just the thought of eating something with slime and tendons on the inside,
YUCK!!! and Just the thought of eating an animal, YUCK, YUCK, YUCK. But for everyone out here that loves them, ENJOY and have fun at WDW.

I adore WDW's turkey legs. They remind me of the smoked turkeys my dad used to make for Thanksgiving and Christmas...only now I don't have to fight for a leg to munch on!

I introduced my fiancee to them on his first trip to WDW in 2003. We spend a happy 45 minutes munching turkey legs and playing checkers in front of the shooting gallery in FrontierLand. :cloud9:

I can't wait for one in July!!! :Pinkbounc

I definitely vote NASTY. It looks horrible. Anybody walking around with me is NOT getting one, so don't even get any ideas. :rotfl2:

While DBF loves them, I think they are A-1 NASTY!

I was a volunteer firefighter for many years :firefight - the one time I tried a little piece of one, it tasted like actual structure fire smoke with a healthy dose of salt! I can't even stand the smell of them. Yuck, yuck and double yuck. When he goes for his annual petrified pterydactyl leg (no turkey has legs that taste like that), I go to Italy or France and get a wine flight!

If you're not used to salt in your diet, they will end up tasting like a country ham someone forgot to boil the salt off before they baked it.

I'm not used to salt in my diet so my system really can't handle them. I'll usually take a bite off someone elses in my party and that's enough for me.

xlh012.JPG

I have to say they're not my favorite...but DH and DSs love them!!!

They don't really bother me, though. I guess when you own an outdoor table with a garbage can built in (to discard the crawfish shells), nothing seems that trashy anymore!!!! :rotfl2:

This is DD of abaldacci the pink is not RARE its SMOKED but it is best meat in the world can't go wrong with a giant SMOKED turkey leg! :cheer2: :bounce:
cstraub said:
Yuck is all I can say. I've tried them twice and both times yuck! To rare for me. Really red and gamey tasting.

ETA: Don't know this person but I googled Turkey Leg to see if there were any good pics on how red the turkey legs are. Found one and yuck again!

sonoma_county_fair_turkey_leg.jpg

maggiew said:
Sorry. I can't stand them. They look disgusting and the smell of them makes me gag, literally.

same here! They are just nauseating. But hey, to each his own :)

This thread is cracking me up, and the photography just sets it off.

I like them, a lot ... but it helps if you're (a) an unrepentant carnivore, (b) enjoy the taste of smoked meats, and (c) aren't upset by any poultry that comes equipped with bones the way God intended ... in other words, if the only way you can face chicken is in strips or nuggets, run away from turkey legs! If you meet the above criteria, try 'em at least once. You'll look like Henry VIII while you're eating it, and you'll understand afterwards why they make Purel.

One of our best friends raises emus, and they're quite tasty, btw.

For years our boys would say they were going to try a turkey leg "this trip"~ lol. They finally did try one a few years ago, and they do like them. They definitely taste like ham. They don't bother me too much, but I do not eat them. I guess what skeeves me is the way that some people eat them, gnawing away. It's kinda gross when you are waiting in a line.

I love them!

On our last trip to Disney I couldn't wait to get mine! Its the only place I know to get it.

This past year the rest of the family finally broke down and tried the leg. They are now converts.

disnut1149 said:
I heard that these are not really turkey legs. They are from a bird called an Emu. That's why they taste like ham, and not turkey. Does anyone know if this is true?. I've never tasted it since I don't eat meat, but if I did, it just wouldn't be something I could eat. I think it looks gross. Choppin on a big leg. Ugh!!!

This is absolutely NOT true. :rolleyes2 The turkey legs taste like ham because they are smoked.

Personally, I don't like them, but my husband and son love them.

I saw everyone eating one and just had to have one...my DW (DGF at the time) didn't think it was a good idea. She was right. I ate as much as I could just so she wasn't right but it was disgusting. I don't mind eating meat off of a bone but the entire thing was full of small bone type tendons....I haven't heard anyone talk about the tendons so maybe I just got a bad bird.....but, the experience will keep me away from them on any and all future trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter