Turkey Legs: Tastey or Trashy?

ThunderMTexpert

DIS Veteran
so, last trip: I'm walking around WDW and there's this ..nice.. group of ..tourists.. in front of me in a line, MUNCHING down on turkey legs. are they THAT good?! i mean, to be walking in the grandest park in the world, and to eat food one would usually eat at a carnival? am i missing out? or.. i'm safe with my ADR's?

they are very good, smoked turkey tastes like ham. i think its a, get a picture of me eatin this big honkin turkey leg kinda thing. also its a very filling bargain at 4.50 apiece. and you can keep moving while you eat it.

Sorry. I can't stand them. They look disgusting and the smell of them makes me gag, literally. There was a person behind me in line one time eating one and I almost passed out!

Maggie

We have bought the turkey legs a couple of times and they are good. We always claim we are going to buy one but we never find the time to sit down and enjoy one. It is something I feel you have to try once :)

I have never had a turkey leg but I plan on getting one this year. We have heard so much about them, not just on the boards but on TV as well. I think that you have to try them once just so you know if your missing out on something. :yay: :p

My DD thought she wasn't going to get to go last year(band) and all she ask for was a turkey leg. :rotfl2: She did get to go after all and we bought her three while in the world over 9 days. I like them they do taste like ham as dalt01 said.

I heard that these are not really turkey legs. They are from a bird called an Emu. That's why they taste like ham, and not turkey. Does anyone know if this is true?. I've never tasted it since I don't eat meat, but if I did, it just wouldn't be something I could eat. I think it looks gross. Choppin on a big leg. Ugh!!!

ThunderMTexpert said:
so, last trip: I'm walking around WDW and there's this ..nice.. group of ..tourists.. in front of me in a line, MUNCHING down on turkey legs. are they THAT good?! i mean, to be walking in the grandest park in the world, and to eat food one would usually eat at a carnival? am i missing out? or.. i'm safe with my ADR's?

See, that's what I think about people who run to get Dole Whip at Disney World. Dole Whip is great but Dole Whip is sold at fairs and carnivals too... you can order it from ice cream store / refreshment wholesale vendors if you were so inclined.

The Turkey Legs, on the other hand, are not in any way like the turkey legs you find at carnivals. The way these are prepared is completely unique to Disney. If you like smoked meats at all, you should at least give one a try, with the knowlege that people are very divided on them - most people either love them or hate them. Few are in between. Don't let the people who hate them scare you off if you are curious.

And enough with the rumors about the emu, people, it's not true!!!

Turkey legs are yummy!!! My whole family enjoys them!!!

One of the shows on the Food Network did an episode where one segment was about the Disney turkey legs. The spokesperson said they are indeed turkey - not Emu. :)

Have a great trip and enjoy that turkey leg!! :thumbsup2

:eek:
We finally tried a turkey leg at the MK last Spring and couldn't believe how bad it was.
I guess we were expecting it to taste like our Thanksgiving turkey legs. Not even close :guilty:

I've not had one but I'm not big on meat with the bone still attached. I can barely eat fried chicken. But to each their own :thumbsup2

I love turkey legs too. They are deffo not like your thanksgiving day tirkey. It is much more ham tasting. The way they smoke it makes the leg very flavorful, yumm!!

I love Turkey legs but to be honest they are STRINGY (those tendons are all over the place) and MESSY!!! I don't like to be in 100 degree heat trying to rip apart a turkey leg with my bare hands.....then, no matter how well I wipe my hands, the turkey "smell" tends to percolate in that heat and then you end up smelling like.... :eek: :eek:

I'll eat my legs at Thanksgiving, thank you very much..... :lmao: :lmao:

The Emu thing is an urban legend. Disney has tried repeatedly to debunk it but it's still going around.

I find them gross; something straight out of the Flintstones. I'm really picky about my meat and that is not one that appeals to me ;)

Grossssss...sorry, can't stand the site of them!
They are...so...big! Eurk.

I'll keep my mickey ice cream bars instead.

My family really enjoyed them!!! In fact, we are planning on getting some more in December. :Pinkbounc
On the other hand, if my DB, DSIL, and DNieces (8 and 6) were to go to WDW, I know my SIL would NEVER get one. Then again, she doesn't it is lady like to eat corn on the cob. :confused3

Careful They are HOT! I burmed mah thuung en wum ovh dheeze wahmse!!! :teeth:

I vote trashy! My family got one of these once. After each taking one bite and having a disgusting look on our faces trying to choke it down, our turkey leg went right into the TRASH!

I have had the best turkey leg at WDW and I have had the worst turkey leg from there also.
The best one keeps making me go back and try another.
The worst one was full of tendons and was very salty. But it was not bad enough to stop me buying more.

I definitely would not buy one during the summer, but in the fall when the weather is cooler is the time to buy and eat. The taste is a bit smokey, and does not always taste like turkey.
:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter