TSA Pre-check

Summer2018

DIS Veteran
We have not flown since 2004.

I loved to fly as a kid back in the 70's when flying was something that you got dressed up for...when flying was glamorous. In the 80's, I toyed with being an Airline Stewardess. In the 90's, I was a Travel Agent for less than a year with dreams of world travel for free. We flew to Europe in the 90's and Florida in the early 2000's.

Things have changed a lot since 2004, and rather than deal with smaller seats, lack of legroom and amenities that used to be taken for granted, we have travelled by car or train instead avoiding air travel altogether.

Well now we are going to Arizona and California in April. We have to fly. We booked First Class so that we would be more comfortable. We won't be checking luggage, so we are learning all of the new rules for toiletries and the legal size of our carry-ons.

I'm trying to make this as easy as possible. A family mentioned the TSA Pre-check. Has anyone done it themselves, and could you share any details if you have?

I was able to obtain TSA precheck this week. My husband researched it and got his last summer. There was 1 location where we live. We made an appointment and brought our passport. $85 credit card or money order. In and out 10 minutes. Certain credit cards cover the cost. My appointment was Wednesday and I got an email today with my known traveler number. Added to upcoming flights.

Last edited:
It’s the best money I ever spent, its $85 and valid for 5 years. It makes the airport way better. Not having to take off anything but a hefty jacket and not having to take a computer out of your bag, makes security much more pleasant. Plus it’s way faster. Frequently it’s saved me a few hours at the airport on a single trip. You make an appointment (you can walk in at some places but you may wait a long time before they see you). You need to bring a few forms of ID, check the official website to make sure you bring the right ones.

My advice to you is if you can do it, DO IT! You don’t have to takeoff your shoes, you don’t have to takeoff your coat and you get a very short line. I have actually toyed with the idea of getting it permanently just for leaving the Orlando airport one time a year. Orlando airport when it is busy is a nightmare! My son and husband got pre-check once on a flight with the three of us. They did not give it to me though. They got through security and waited on the other side for 45 minutes for me to get through my security line.

We just purchased TSA pre-check this summer. We went to the Edison, NJ processing center and we got our approval numbers in a few days. I have one United Explorer credit card so I got a $85 statement credit for one of the accounts.
We used to get TSA-pre on all our United flights out of Newark for free. Now we fly JB, SW or UA depending on times and price so I feel better now. I thought we had to go back to the airport but I was wrong. DH has mobility issues so going to a local processing center worked better.

I travel a lot so my perspective may be skewed, but I’m a huge fan. Best $85 for 5 years you can spend. Some higher end credit cards and airline cards even reimburse the cost. My home airport is a particularly busy one, I’d never want to fly without pre-check.

FYI, it is technically possible to not have pre-check access on any given flight despite having pre-check status. It is not common at all, but at random occasionally a pre-check member might not get pre-check access on a flight - it’s done at random on purpose (just part of the overall program). If that happens, the pre-check logo/language won’t be on your boarding pass. This isn’t worth worrying about, just something to keep in the back of your mind.

We have pre-check through our Nexus cards, I think that one is only $50 but has the same benefits. It's the one that is also like a fastpass in to Canada. We chose that one since my husband has dual citizenship and it makes coming and going easier. Pre-check is one of those things (like flying 1st class) that once you do it, you never want to never go back to the old way again. If you get it, make sure you update your flight info with the known traveler number so your ticket has pre-check on it.

I hemmed and hawed about spending the money on it, but my credit card paid for mine and so we only had to pay for my wife. I am so glad we did it. We no longer stress about what time we make it to the airport, and going through security is actually sort of fun now. Probably because the TSA people working that line have less hassle to deal with, but they actually seem happier than other places. I was so shocked that I actually found myself having a chuckle with a TSA agent in Orlando, over winter break and during the government shutdown. I hate to think what the people in the non-precheco line were dealing with, because I remember how miserable I used to be in it.

Spend the $15 and get Glibal entry - TSA preceheck is included and if you are outside of the US you can avoid customs lines and Check back in at a kiosk
Work pays for mine but we bought it for my husband- Best money spent

You are still subject to the 3-1-1 limit of liquids with Pre Check. If you'll use Pre Check more than this once over the next few years or your credit card will reimburse you the fee, go for it. If not, just use the priority line for your airline.

You are still subject to the 3-1-1 limit of liquids with Pre Check. If you'll use Pre Check more than this once over the next few years or your credit card will reimburse you the fee, go for it. If not, just use the priority line for your airline.
I think we will save the $85 times three people and use our priority line this time. We won’t get any reimbursement. I don’t know when we will be flying again after this trip.

Thanks everyone for the information.

I think we will save the $85 times three people and use our priority line this time. We won’t get any reimbursement. I don’t know when we will be flying again after this trip.

That's a good call then. I already flew three times since I got my number in July, with two more flights already booked. My wife's parents moving to Florida also played a role in it. I figured about $5-8 per trip was worth it to me, but not beyond that.

I agree with your decision. We are in a different situation as we now fly frequently as we are semi retired and are headed to the places we waited to go to. Also visit both our older daughter and my brother who live in NYC regularly. Precheck is plus at LaGuardia and JFK as well as MCO and the New Orleans airport.

We were getting pre check randomly for a few years. Having to go through the nightmare that is MCO regular line I signed up for pre check. Well worth the $85 just for the one time a year we were flying from MCO. DH is retired now so we fly more frequently.

We booked First Class so that we would be more comfortable. We won't be checking luggage, so we are learning all of the new rules for toiletries and the legal size of our carry-ons.

Since you’re going first class you can use that line. I think you already came to that conclusion.

But why aren’t you checking bags? At least one bag free will be allowed per person depending on your airline, so o would check a bag or two.

Did you know that some airlines are hiring for flight attendants from the pool of people who have raised their families already? I know a woman in her 50s who is a new FA for Alaska Air. Just in case that’s still a dream for you.

We have pre-check through our Nexus cards, I think that one is only $50 but has the same benefits. It's the one that is also like a fastpass in to Canada. We chose that one since my husband has dual citizenship and it makes coming and going easier. Pre-check is one of those things (like flying 1st class) that once you do it, you never want to never go back to the old way again. If you get it, make sure you update your flight info with the known traveler number so your ticket has pre-check on it.

Nexus is the best! Easy Canada egress, global entry, and precheck for $50 and free for minors? Thank you, yes!

Since you’re going first class you can use that line. I think you already came to that conclusion.

But why aren’t you checking bags? At least one bag free will be allowed per person depending on your airline, so o would check a bag or two.

Did you know that some airlines are hiring for flight attendants from the pool of people who have raised their families already? I know a woman in her 50s who is a new FA for Alaska Air. Just in case that’s still a dream for you.
We are connecting flights and dealing with checking bags is just another thing to deal with.

LOL. My dreams have changed. I’m a veteran teacher with 8 more years to retirement. I’m looking forward to grandchildren and traveling with them.

We almost always get Pre-Check when we fly first class. Not a guarantee, but I would say 9 out of 10 times we get it.

TSAPrecheck, best $85 ever spent. Even for 1 flight I'd get it.
Heck, now I've added Clear (for 3 months at least, free) and it's every better, there's a TSAPrecheck Clear line!
Are you planning multiple trips in the next 5 years? If so, I would get it. If just this trip, there is typically a priority first class line.
I've yet to find this line. Not at ATL or MCO. Do you know which airports still have this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!