Trying to Decide Between three Villas

princessloulou

Earning My Ears
We will be going the second week of dec 2012 and I am trying to decide between three villas. The Villas at Wilderness lodge, Boardwalk villas, or Animal kingdom Lodge Villas. Our kids will be 7 and 3 at time of travel. Any suggestions?

We've stayed at all 3. For kids that young, I would go with the VWL for close access to the MK,or AKV for the animal viewing. That being said, if you are DVC, book early because early December is a popular time to visit Disney, and rooms at VWL can be hard to come by in December.

Which park do you think you'll be spending the most time at? If it's MK (which is likely with the ages of your kids) then the Wilderness Lodge Villas are you're best bet for easy access. The boat is fantastic and a short ride. My boys were 7 and 4 last summer when we stayed there and the pool and slide at the main pool were perfect for them and they loved the boat ride and watching the Geyser. Whispering Canyon is a fun restaurant for the kids as well.

I would go with Boardwalk Villas because in my opinion they have the best theme and atmosphere among the resorts you are thinking about staying at. Plus you would have walkways to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios when staying there, along with walking to the Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan & Dolphin.

We have stayed at all three. My wife and I love the WL, but the best for the kids was the Beach Club. They had so many thing just for kids. I remember when we were there it started to rain and everyone was called out of the pool. Within 5 mins (no kidding) staff members were organizing activities for kids inside. WONDERFUL PLACE!!!

I think Boardwalk Villas are the least "kid-friendly" compared to the other two choices. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place and we've stayed there twice and enjoyed both stays, but we don't have little kids. I think AKL has awesome activities and animal watching which would be SO fun for little ones. Wilderness Lodge definitely gives you a lot of great choices, too with the access to MK, a boat to Contemporary and Fort Wilderness for even more choices.

Good luck deciding!

I had the same choice to make, debated for days, between BV, AKV or WLV.

Its myself, my daughter and 6 year old grandson, I chose the 1 bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge.

Can't wait :banana:

wow, its amazing how views differ....

I find BWV to be VERY kid friendly having stayed there twice in 2007 and 2009 with my current 6 and 7 year olds.

We loved strolling the Boardwalk at night and loved the entertainers-magicians, etc

That being said, for a december trip I would go with WLV....I have never stayed there but have always told myself for that time of year, that would be the place to stay

Not a big fan of AKV, just too far for us......

Either way, you will have a great time, Best Of Luck

We will be going the second week of dec 2012 and I am trying to decide between three villas. The Villas at Wilderness lodge, Boardwalk villas, or Animal kingdom Lodge Villas. Our kids will be 7 and 3 at time of travel. Any suggestions?
I think your kids would LOVE Animal Kingdom! The animals are right outside your balcony and both pools (at Kidani & Jambo House) are great with zero depth entry. The only negative is that it takes a while longer to get to/from the resort.

I took this photo from my balcony:
AKV-C-Animal2.jpg

BTW, have you checked availability? The first and second week of December is a notoriously hard time to get a DVC reservation because many owners book that time for their own use.

BTW, have you checked availability? The first and second week of December is a notoriously hard time to get a DVC reservation because many owners book that time for their own use.

This was my first thought as well. VWL is especially difficult at this time of year. I would see what is even available at this point & go from there.

We haven't stayed at BWV yet (staying there in August) but of the other two we much prefer Animal Kingdom. In my opinion, the rooms were so much nicer inside than at Wilderness Logde. We love the animals outside. Even if you don't get a savannah view you can see the animals in plenty of places. The pool area at Kidani is great for kids. You can get night vision goggles at Jambo House to see the animals at night. They have a big firepit that is fun to hang out at night. Sometimes they have CM there telling stories.

Thanks for all the input! It is so hard to decide!! I can't book until Jan, since that is 11 months out, but I will let you all know what I decide! I feel like I sway my decision just about every day! I can't wait to just book it and have it set in stone,lol! I appreciate all the great info from you guys!!!!

We've stayed at VWL, AKV and YC (which is close to BWV). A few questions come to mind... What type of villa are you wanting - a studio or one bedroom? Are you going to have a car? Which park do you think you'll spend most of your time at? Which one appeals to you the most?

VWL is wonderful for being so close to MK and my kids always enjoyed the boat ride over and you can also take the boat to CR to hop on the monorail for easy access to TTC and then EPCOT. BWV will give you great access to EPCOT, just a little monorail ride over to MK and a boat ride or walkway to DHS. AKV has a super short bus ride to DAK and since they don't pick up any other resorts the buses to the other parks isn't unbearable.

AKV is my favorite and if you ask my kids (5 & 9) they will more than likely say it is theirs too. They love being able to see the animals from numerous spots throughout the resort, the water play area at Kidani is superb as is the zero entry pool, the CMs will take time to talk to everyone about the animals, and the playground is (imho) much better than the one at VWL. If you are getting a one bedroom villa you'll have two full bathrooms in Kidani whereas in the other ones you'll have one full bathroom. And if you have your own vehicle the parking under the building at Kidani is nice. The biggest downside to Kidani is that there is no CS in the building, you have to go to Jambo for that, but it is only about a 5-10 minute walk depending on where your room is. But at VWL you also have to go to WL if you want a CS so no biggie. VWL is very popular in the Nov - Dec time so it might be harder to get than the other two. Don't think you can really go wrong with any of your choices.

I think Boardwalk Villas are the least "kid-friendly" compared to the other two choices. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place and we've stayed there twice and enjoyed both stays, but we don't have little kids. I think AKL has awesome activities and animal watching which would be SO fun for little ones. Wilderness Lodge definitely gives you a lot of great choices, too with the access to MK, a boat to Contemporary and Fort Wilderness for even more choices.

Good luck deciding!

Why do you think BWV is the least kid friendly?
We are staying there for the first time in August.

For a December trip, I would pick Wilderness Lodge. The pictures of the Christmas decorations there are so pretty, and it seems like the best time of year to stay at WL. Also, WL is closer to Magic Kingdom.

I think any three would have a lot of pros! VWL that time of year would be awfully magical. But then I see that picture Robinb took off her AKV balcony and that looks hard to pass up.

Of your three I have only stayed at BWV and my kids were 9 and 11 at the time. They loved the resort, loved the clown slide, the boardwalk area, being so close to Epcot (mom loved that too, it was a short walk to a Grand Marnier slushie ;)) so I did find it kid friendly. However, one thing about that resort that is not kid friendly is the lack of counter serve options right at the resort. Yes, I know you have options on the Boardwalk (bakery, pizza window, etc) and I know Epcot is right there. But it has not real cs location and for pool days that is not convenient. At all. That is the only thing I find un kid friendly about the place since to me kids, pools and food all go together and need to be near each other! I also think the parking at Boardwalk is a nightmare (very far away). Not sure how parking at the other two compare or if that's even a concern. We didn't have a car and thank goodness, friends did and I couldn't believe how far away they had to park.

My kids loved that Boardwalk area at night and still talk about it five years and 10+ trips later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter