Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

I have no idea how twitter became the thing to use but it is like the fastest way to get information/issues resolved from companies unfortunately.
I specifically signed up for Twitter just to be able to contact airlines/hotels for changes when Covid first hit. It has been a great tool for getting reservations changed easily. When we decided to postpone this week’s trip the first thing I did was reach out to American Airlines on Twitter. I had my new flights confirmed within 20 minutes of sending my first message. Super easy and efficient. Way better than sitting on hold for hours at a time.

I specifically signed up for Twitter just to be able to contact airlines/hotels for changes when Covid first hit. It has been a great tool for getting reservations changed easily. When we decided to postpone this week’s trip the first thing I did was reach out to American Airlines on Twitter. I had my new flights confirmed within 20 minutes of sending my first message. Super easy and efficient. Way better than sitting on hold for hours at a time.
Over on the dedicated SWA thread that seems to be the going experience as well over the last few years. That and Facebook Messenger.

Seems like the "Contact Us" links on webpages and phone lines aren't quite the way to go these days.

My friend was due to fly in to Orlando on Friday morning on JetBlue but her flight was canceled. She's now on the phone with Disney trying to reschedule for November. She's already been disconnected twice, so hopefully she gets it resolved soon. I'm sure the phone lines are going crazy with people rescheduling.

Good luck to all who need to reschedule!

I have never been through a hurricane in Florida. Can stop light outages and electrical outages continue for an extended period after Ian blows through or is that portion of the Orlando infrastructure reasonably well hurricane proofed?
It's a mixed bag. Depends on just where you are. Some areas are relatively new and well protected. Other areas are older and could be out for a while.
Yeah this thing looks to come essentially up I-4. only good thing is WDW will be more on the left side but still looks not good.
That will slow it down. ;)

I really feel for the College Program and International Cast Members with many,if not most, having their first experience with a Hurricane and being away from home at the same time.

I know their families have to be so concerned.

I am sure Disney will do their best to make everything as good as possible for them at Flamingo Crossings.

And some will be working and staying at the Resorts.
I suspect that many of them are excited about this. BTW, this development is very new so it's designed to meet or exceed the latest construction standards for storm survival.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience on gas availability after a hurricane blows through? I expect things to be tight for a few days, but is there an expectation that availability will be “normal” within a week?

Does anyone have any experience on gas availability after a hurricane blows through? I expect things to be tight for a few days, but is there an expectation that availability will be “normal” within a week?
It should be just fine in a day or two.

Yes Orlando has a fuel depot in Taft near the airport which provides most trucks to fuel the stations. 1 or 2 days is about all it takes

It may be almost an unprecedented storm for that part of Florida. I think I read the last huge equivalent type hit on Tampa was 1921. You can't judge how Orlando/Tampa/that whole area will rebound from this storm based on past storms - they weren't the same impact.
yikes! Can your daughter stay put tonight vs driving in the storm?

So now the message says there’s no check-ins on Thursday. our new plan was to leave Thursday afternoon from ATL and drive down leisurely (taking the best route possible) and get there late Thursday. My husband does not think it’s worth driving on Friday only to come back Sunday and he has to work on Monday afternoon. I think this means we’re fully cancelling. I know this is the right decision based on the danger of the storm.

It depends on the type of hurricane and damage to roads. Harvey we basically were done for about two weeks with gas/groceries. Ike we were about a week, but my parents didn’t have power for over three. We are closer to the coast and had it back the same day Ike blew through.

I’m sure storms in Florida are the same.

We changed our cruise with the chat feature on the app. Changed flights and hotel (date and location) with phone calls. Changed Mears ground transportation on cell/online. So now instead of 3-night Wish cruise 9/30 - 10/3, we'll sail the same cruise/ship 1/27 - 1/30. Cruise cost a little more but airfare was a bit less, so it's a wash.

My flight was originally scheduled 10/1 9:30pm arrival from the midwest. I don't know anything about what hurricanes are like, so I'm not sure if I should move it? Is moving the flight recommended?

My flight was originally scheduled 10/1 9:30pm arrival from the midwest. I don't know anything about what hurricanes are like, so I'm not sure if I should move it? Is moving the flight recommended?
Once the hurricane moves through it is gone. It is predicted to pass through the Orlando area in the overnight Thurs/Fri hours. The final bands of wind and rain will pass through on Friday (and the outer bands aren't the damage causers). Unless it leaves major damage behind at the airport and WDW, on Saturday you should be fine.

Once the hurricane moves through it is gone. It is predicted to pass through the Orlando area in the overnight Thurs/Fri hours. The final bands of wind and rain will pass through on Friday (and the outer bands aren't the damage causers). Unless it leaves major damage behind at the airport and WDW, on Saturday you should be fine.

But there will be a backlog of flights so there will probably be cancellations. There were during Irma at least

But there will be a backlog of flights so there will probably be cancellations. There were during Irma at least
True--- but when we were there for Matthew, the problem was mostly getting booked on a new flight out of Orlando not in if you were coming from the west. They wanted the flights to make it to MCO to try to get planes there to try to get the backlog of people stuck there out. I think coming from the midwest away from the storm, might be better than coming from the east coast if the storm travels up north. Who knows nowadays though, the way the flights have been the last few months.

Flight stuff is tricky. You have to know where your plane is coming from too. So I'd agree with all sides that you could be fine, there could be a backlog where fights are more trying to get out but also that the direction of where a person is does not necessarily indicate the status of their particular potential issues.

Flightaware by the way is my go to for information on where a particular flight is at. You can see exactly where a plane is in the air, where it is coming from and that stats like how late did it leave, etc. I used that a lot when my husband was away on field assignments. I could see for example that a flight from Los Angeles was going to Nashville then onto Charlotte before terminating in KC and any issues along the way could impact that. That's one of the more unknown aspects so the PP may be coming from the Midwest but their plane may not be (the first flight out however may be the starting point depending on the airport like mine we don't have red eye flights leaving so your first flight out is always the starting point of the flight).

Flight stuff is tricky. You have to know where your plane is coming from too. So I'd agree with all sides that you could be fine, there could be a backlog where fights are more trying to get out but also that the direction of where a person is does not necessarily indicate the status of their particular potential issues.

Flightaware by the way is my go to for information on where a particular flight is at. You can see exactly where a plane is in the air, where it is coming from and that stats like how late did it leave, etc. I used that a lot when my husband was away on field assignments. I could see for example that a flight from Los Angeles was going to Nashville then onto Charlotte before terminating in KC and any issues along the way could impact that. That's one of the more unknown aspects so the PP may be coming from the Midwest but their plane may not be (the first flight out however may be the starting point depending on the airport like mine we don't have red eye flights leaving so your first flight out is always the starting point of the flight).
That's a good point! My flight is the last flight out, but the plane's previous leg is from Omaha, and Atlanta before that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter