Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

CherishL

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

So talk to me about hurricane season at Disney. I live on the gulf coast and am more than familiar with hurricane season. What I am not familiar with is hurricane season at Disney. There is a tropical wave we are keeping track of that could impact the gulf coast next week around the time we leave. Is this something we should be concerned about? I know Disney has a FAQ section for hurricane policies but what I am wondering is has anyone had any experience with tropical storms and hurricanes at Disney.
Thank you in advance!

We live very close to WDW. If a storm is approaching, Disney will take precautions to minimize damage. They tie down things, remove awnings, things like that. They keep the parks open as long as it is safe.

Due do WDW being inland, its is very rare for a hurricane to significantly impact things to the point where there are closures. But there can be significant rain/wind that comes through if a storm gets close. 9+ days is still a ways out and forecasts can change. Just keep an eye on it. If there is a real threat they are pretty good about letting you reschedule or cancel.

I had to sadly delay leaving Disney as there was a tropical storm the day we were supposed to leave. They found us another room as far as the rain which is what it mostly was the Hotel remained as normal they had some additional grab and go in different areas and that was it.... The Hotel area soaked up all the rain and it did rain steady and heavy all day. As far as a hurricane there I can not comment. We were there with a Hurricane in the Gulf which made the weather breeze and cool... high 70's in July.... A hurricane on the Atlantic made it far more Humid and higher temps.

Hurricanes at WDW are fortunately rare. Except the one year (2004) they had 3 in close succession. We were in Central Florida for Matthew in 2016(?), but at my Dad's house not on property. They will close the parks early before the storm, so CMs and guests can be home / at their hotels, and the day of the storm. But once the storm passes through they are quick to reopen. Some hotel food operations are open, but not what is usual for the hotel. Reports have varied on how sufficient the options are. During Matthew there were pictures of some sad looking snack boxes, but pictures from Irma were better. So if it looks like something is going to be a direct hit, it would be worthy having breakfast items, and snacks in the hotel room. My Dad's experience is there is a lot more rain, a lot of wind, and certainly foliage debris, but nothing like what happens in the coastal areas.

We were also in a tropical storm at Disney, maybe 2000. It wasn't bad enough for parks to close, but it was a rainy day at MGM Studios. The park was super empty, and the shows didn't run because the stage was too wet, so the cast came out to take pictures. It was actually one of the more fun days, because there was no one there. But that was before all the park reservations, so I don't know how many people would try to stick it out. Rainy and crowded would be a lot less fun.

We are also going to MNSSHP on that day. The next day we fly out. If they do have to close early due to weather do they refund the party tickets?

We were staying at Yacht Club during hurricane Matthew in 2016. It was the first time in 12 years the parks had been closed for a Hurricane since 2004. The storm was coming in overnight on a Thursday night. We got notice the night before that our MNSSHP would be cancelled Thursday night. They determined at some point on Thursday that the parks would close at 5:00 that day. They rarely close for storms, and I think you have have to have a very significant threat for a closure. We were at MK and there were announcements being made through the parks starting around noon I think. Bands of rain came through most of that day- it would stop or slow down for a while and then pick up. As Matthew got closer the bands got heavier. The last few hours before the parks closed were very empty and very wet. The biggest issue for most people there was food--- planning ahead kept us in good shape there, but if I had not planned ahead there would have been issues. Be sure you have a food plan and a stocked room. They have been closed one more time since then and I think they learned from the Matthew issues and if I remember right, the posts were that food availability was better that time.

I went back and found a post from a few years ago when another storm was approaching and people were curious about our experience and in a very long post this is what I said:

1. It is very hard to predict where exactly these are going to go and how hard they are going to hit. You really don't know until they are pretty much there. You should be prepared in advance. We watched it approach for days and watched the models change. Even as the parks were closed early and we sat in the lobby in the evening watching the news coverage of where it would hit overnight-- there was a lot of talk as to whether it would turn, hit direct- skirt the coast etc.

2. Everything was crazy in flux-- people were leaving early trying to get out before the storm. People were coming in with truckloads of things from the coast- coming to stay at WDW to get away from the storm. We heard complaints of people who were driving in from the coast-- and people trying to drive out before the storm that the gas station lines were huge and it was hard to find gas. WDW was putting up cast members in resort rooms so they could staff the resorts. The CMs we talked to were happy about this because they felt safer in the resort than at their home or apartment and figured WDW was more likely to get power restored or keep power on than at their homes as WDW has its own crews and would not have to wait for any local power company. As we were talking to people (guests and CMs) we learned that WDW was refunding nights for people leaving early from the storm. They also had a policy that if you could not get there because MCO was closed or flights were cancelled in the 3 or 4 days after the storm that they would refund the nights you missed. People were arriving a day or two late without issue- they were still getting their rooms etc. You also could cancel your whole trip without any penalty if you were within 7 days of the storm either way. People who were stuck there because their flights were cancelled were either getting to stay in their rooms due to cancellations-- or were being moved to other resorts where there were available rooms-- they were getting discounts on their additional nights. . WDW was really working hard to accommodate people with flight issues both ways either coming in- or getting out.

3. We prepared a couple of days in advance. We stocked the room with food and I bought games, playing cards, and a couple of learn to draw Disney character books and some drawing supplies from the Disney stores. If the shelves are empty- check again later- Disney was restocking as fast as they could. Expensive- but worth it if we wound up stuck in our room for a couple of days or more if our flight home was cancelled. I also had the foresight to make dining reservations at the resort restaurants-- I hated giving up some of my prized ADRs not knowing if the storm would really hit or if anything would be closed- but I wound up being really glad I did. This was my best decision and really helped us out on the day parks were closed. I made these a couple of days prior to the storm---as we were stuck at the resort- we had reservations when the restaurants re-opened- others who did not have ADRs were being turned away right and left. The restaurants were not fully staffed. If the restaurants are closed, you are out of luck-- but when they re-open, you are set if you have pre-made ADRs. At least for me, the ADRs were very easy to get a couple of days in advance which I believe was due to cancellations right and left of people changing plans. I wound up not needing our food supplies due to us being in club level and having ADRs--- otherwise I would have been VERY glad we had them. Also, if you are in a resort where your building is not connected to the lobby-- this is even more important. I would highly recommend being sure you have something in your room to eat well in advance in case you wind up getting stuck there or in case there are giant box meal lines that you don't want to deal with. Activities are a good idea as well.

4. We were in MK when it was announced they would close all parks at I think 5:00 p.m. and that they would be closed the next day. Within a few hours it was pouring rain. On the bright side- the parks were extremely empty that day because of people who had changed plans- left- not arrived etc. We moved over to DHS so we could be closer to the resort if it got bad- and stayed there until maybe 30 minutes to an hour before the park closed when the radar looked like some really heavy stuff would be moving in soon and we wanted to walk back to the resort before it hit.

5. The biggest issue at the resort for people was food for the day and a half things were shut down. We got very lucky and it did not impact us-- but it impacted a ton of people. All restaurants shut down at 6:00 p.m. or 6:30 on Thursday , but did re-open the next day-- I want to say it was at lunch. The problem was that they had a reduced staff and were not at full capacity and further even if they had been at full capacity could not have serviced everyone at the resort. WDW did boxed meals the night of the closures and all the next day- they did a really good job-- but the lines were HUGE because everyone was stuck at the resort. Also, if you have picky eaters, it was not like there were many choices. It was pre-made sandwiches and chips. Also, I heard a lot of people complaining about how expensive they were for what was in them- I can't remember the price. I'm not sure when the QS at BC re-opened-- but it was servicing 2 resorts (BC and YC) full of people stuck at the resort so you can imagine the food lines-- the boxes remained available. This is why I highly recommend that you stock up with food in advance. There were lots of miserable people in long lines trying to get food. We got EXTREMELY lucky- in part because I had thought to book ADRs at the resort in case things were open, and in part because we had gotten a discount and booked club level. As far as club level-- we did not know what to expect or whether it would be completely shut down-- but it operated mostly as usual-- not as many food options or choices, but enough that you definitely would not go hungry if you did not go stand in the long box meal line.

6. After leaving the parks, we got back to the resort where I had made a Beaches and Cream reservation for either 5:45 or 6:00 p.m. I had heard that all the resort restaurants were closing at I think it was 6:30 so I immediately went and checked to see if we could get in early or if our reservation was still good. I was told my reservation was cancelled for 6:00 p.m. and we could not get in. I can't remember for certain, but it seems like DH had been a bit behind us and asked and they wound up letting us in. We either did that or just ate the club level food that night.

7. We did get a phone message/letter in our room telling us to stay in our room that evening and not come down to the lobby- however, we didn't see that letter/message. After we were lucky enough to eat with no hassles, we walked through the lobby and there were CMs all over (mostly lifeguards) playing games with the kids, and the bar was still open and partly staffed with hurricane reports playing. DD wanted to play games, so we stayed in the lobby all evening. She was playing and we were watching news/weather. There were not that many people down there - I'm sure because of the message and notes we did not know about. She had a great time, and a little later they had Chip and Dale visit and they switched out with Pluto. When we went back to the room to go to bed-- we saw the message to stay in the room- which explains why there weren't that many people in the lobby playing games. The CMs were fantastic and DD had an absolutely wonderful time. Several of them were college kids from other places and I'm sure they were nervous about the storm-- but you couldn't tell and they made the best of it.

8. We heard from others that if you were not at a resort where the lobby was connected to your room-- you were required to stay in your room that evening and all the next morning and that if you were found outside your room you were told to return to your room. Had I been in one of those resorts, I would have been very happy that I had bought some games, cards, drawing supplies etc. We were told the tvs played Disney movies all night and the next day. We experienced none of that first, hand so I can't say how accurate that was.

9. The storm luckily turned north and skirted the coast with the worst part of the storm hitting overnight while we were asleep. The next morning there were branches all over outside and still strong winds. We could see from our room where some shingles had pulled off the YC roof. All in all, the damage was not bad at all. By late morning/early afternoon we saw those same wonderful lifeguards that DD had played with all evening before all out in carts picking up branches, cleaning stuff out of the pool etc. trying to get it ready to reopen the next day.

10. We were not allowed to go outside at all the next morning. The winds were still pretty high. We had breakfast in club level and met some people that only live a few miles from us at home in Oklahoma. WDW does not understand that in Oklahoma, unless, you basically see a tornado moving straight towards you---people go stand outside to "watch" the weather. Our new friend had tried to escape a couple of times that morning to just walk a little outside and see how bad the winds were and had been rounded up and sent back in the building. There were sustained winds still occurring, but nothing that was dangerous, and aside from the fact they continued for hours, nothing that we weren't used to at home. Although WDW kept saying it was dangerous winds (which we can have stronger winds that that at home when there isn't even a storm) I suspect WDW in reality might have been more concerned with branches, shingles and other things that may have been on the ground creating a tripping hazard and was using the storm as an excuse at that point.

11. There were games and characters in the lobby all day for the kids. DH and I were incredibly bored, but DD had a great time. She preferred to be with the other kids instead of with us playing the games I had bought. We had ADRs for both lunch and dinner at the resort and the restaurants were open--- again not fully staffed and turning away everyone without ADRs. By afternoon they were letting people venture outside-- we went to Boardwalk to see what was going on for something to do since DH and I were bored and while the wind didn't seem that bad at first--- we were surprised at how the forces impacted us while we walked since it was sustained instead of gusts. Definitely would not have walked farther than we did. It was still a really strong wind. It made it kind of hard to walk. They had a couple of characters out over there and the gift shop was reopened. We had a wonderful dinner at Yachtsman and as we were there heard that DTD had re-opened for the evening. Not all the stores would be open as they could not get the staff there, but some would. We went over there and found that Disney Quest was not only open (only to enter and play the games- no food; special activities etc), but all play on the video games was free. Again--- WDW did a really good job of trying to take care of the guests in a not so great situation. DD, once again, had a great time.

12. The next day it was beautiful weather, the parks were open, and the lines were short because so many people had left early or cancelled their trips. WDW works really heard to clean things up and get operational again. You could pick up ADRs and FPs because so many people had cancelled. I would say if you have any ADRs get cancelled because things close down and you are wanting to try to rebook them for other days when you are still there, I would recommend trying to do that as soon as you find out they are cancelled and if you can't get them then, to just keep trying. Things were in in flux and changing all the time as peoples plans were basically all upended.

13. WDW will cancel all your dining reservations; MNSSHP etc. for the time the parks/restaurants are closed. You will not be charged no-show fees. CRT and MNSSHP were automatically credited back to my card. You can call and change your MNSSHP if you will be there long enough to catch another party. I did call a week after we got back (when the phone lines were shorter) just to make sure MNSSHP and CRT ere being refunded and it had already been taken care of- just told it might take a couple of weeks to show up because there were so many refunds being processed. We heard from others that if you were going to MNSSHP within a week either way of the storm and had to cancel your trip that you could call and get a refund.

We won’t have a good idea where this one is going for another couple days yet. It hasn’t actually formed yet, and until it does, the best forecasts can be wrong. I have seen predictions from going straight up the Florida Peninsula to hitting west of New Orleans. I will be glad when we know for sure, since I would like to evacuate if it’s coming up the peninsula, and sooner rather than later.

Disney will take decent care of you, and they communicate well during a storm. You might want to bring extra snacks and beverages with you if you can, as people panic and clear out the shelves sometimes. This is the first year I haven’t had a trip planned in September for more than 25 years, so I have had a lot of experience with Disney and Hurricanes. I would rather be there than at my home.

Yes, here’s the Hurricane Policy https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/

We were onsite during Matthew (2016). The parks closed early, and we were called back to evacuate our Cabin (campground closed). It was a crazy evening between packing and early closures since we also had our dobbie boarded at Best Friends Pet Care (they did an excellent job, btw). Then the county announced a curfew and everyone was required to stay in their rooms until the storm passed. Disney sold Hurricane sandwich/breakfast boxes for our meals.

Then here comes Irma in 2017. When it was certain to hit at the start of our trip, Disney allowed us to rebook. However, the phone lines were jammed for HOURS.

If you care to read Hurricane experiences, here are the threads..

Matthew
https://www.disboards.com/threads/hurricane-matthew-closes-wdw-reopens-saturday-october-8th.3552054/

Irma
https://www.disboards.com/threads/hurricane-irma.3630975/

Edit: so crud. I thought the OP was leaving in 9 days and only had general Q’s about TS/Hurricane season. I missed the part about next week :( We leave this Friday for Disney, and have been too busy packing to notice.

Last edited:
Just following. Supposed to be leaving Friday 9/30. DH is going to Talladega, so my DD and i are going to WDW. We live in South LA and got the eye of Ida last year. I cant believe the one week i pick to go to Disney, is the one week that there will be a potential storm. My thoughts are maybe leave Saturday 10/1 instead and stay a day longer. I dont fly much, (and this time we decided to fly) but my guess is that there would be flight cancellations / delays so we would have to leave a day later (if it comes in on Friday). Right now, im just going to wait and see..As of now, it isnt even a tropical wave yet. Hopefully by Sunday or Monday, we will have a little more certainty.

I posted this in the mnsshp thread. There’s no eye formed yet. Once there is we’ll have a better idea.
261EED46-012D-442E-8B17-13E8BB9A3B5D.jpeg

Just here to commiserate. We are scheduled to cruise on the Wish Monday through Friday followed by a week in WDW. We have never scheduled Florida vacations during hurricane season but took a chance this year and am now kicking myself for it. Does anyone know what happens if we arrive back in Port on Friday with a hurricane looming? Can we still take DCL transport to the resort or will they make us stay in Port Canaveral?

Just following. Supposed to be leaving Friday 9/30. DH is going to Talladega, so my DD and i are going to WDW. We live in South LA and got the eye of Ida last year. I cant believe the one week i pick to go to Disney, is the one week that there will be a potential storm. My thoughts are maybe leave Saturday 10/1 instead and stay a day longer. I dont fly much, (and this time we decided to fly) but my guess is that there would be flight cancellations / delays so we would have to leave a day later (if it comes in on Friday). Right now, im just going to wait and see..As of now, it isnt even a tropical wave yet. Hopefully by Sunday or Monday, we will have a little more certainty.
South LA here too. This is so unpredictable

It is very hard to predict where exactly these are going to go and how hard they are going to hit. You really don't know until they are pretty much there.

I agree and this has tended to be true of every major storm in that part of the country. Weather stations should be more honest and say they really can't predict where this latest storm (which may turn out to not even become a hurricane) might go instead of running multiple 'models' the just tends to confuse everyone. Projections more the 3-4 days out are worthless. When they run around like chicken little telling everyone the sky is falling with every minor storm, people will just ignore them when a real hurricane takes place.

Last edited:
I agree and this has tended to be true of every major storm in that part of the country. Weather stations should be more honest and say they really can't predict where this latest storm (which may turn out to not even become a hurricane) might go instead of running multiple 'models' the just tends to confuse everyone. Projections more the 3-4 days out are worthless. When they run around like chicken little telling everyone the sky is falling with every minor storm, people will just ignore them when a real hurricane takes place.
This is pretty much a description of what "news" in general has become. The stations want a BIG STORY to keep you tuning in (or checking their web site). So they need NEW DEVELOPMENTS every few hours.

Suggest everybody tune out until Sunday.

^^ I agree and the Weather Channel is particularly bad for that. They broadcast 24hrs a day so they need something to fill up the airtime and want to make everything sound serious to get more people to watch. It's become more like a talk show lately. After you watch for about 10 minutes, you have all of what you need to know about current conditions. Each time it rains it is NOT the end of the world !!!

We are supposed to arrive 9/27, driving from KY. We are using our DVC points. We were evacuated from HHI during Hurricane Matthew. We lost one night off the end of our trip and were able to reschedule a trip later to use up the points we got back. But with this, it's concerning me that it may hit right at the beginning of our trip. I don't want to get there and then it hit and then find out we could have cancelled without penalty. We are there only 3-1/2 days before driving to HHI. With that short of a trip, I'm afraid it will be rain the whole time. If we do get to cancel the WDW portion, we will try to make it to HHI for the second part of the trip, as long as it doesn't track in that direction. I booked flights today to New England just in case we have to cancel completely. So basically, I have a Plan A, B, and C! I just hope I know something by Monday night so I will know how to pack!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter