Trip Insurance Through Disney?

viluvsdisney

DIS Veteran
Hi - has anyone used Disney's trip insurance? The cast member I spoke with couldn't point me to resources online - just that it's $82.50 per guest, non refundable after 14 days from purchase and it's offered through AON Insurance. I'm interested in hearing pros and cons of using Disney's insurance option. Thanks!

I recommend you consider what that policy will cover vs what any cancellation/refund policies for your trip. For example: a package reservation is only a $200 deposit which is refundable until 30 days prior to arrival (may be less time right now) so if you have 3+ people in your party you’d pay more for “insurance” than you’d lose if cancelling 2-weeks out.

google travel guard. We got several years ago for a trip, had to use it and had not problems. Their terms are well laid out and you can get a free estimate online.

If you do decide to get the insurance through Disney, add it right before you make final payment. Trip insurance is non refundable, so it’s best to wait to purchase it.

I second the suggestion to price other policies though. Be sure to read what they cover. I get insurance because my mother is older and has had some medical problems in recent years. Medical transport is something I always make sure is included. And since we travel during hurricane season, I make sure the policy covers trip interruption.

My rule of thumb is to always buy outside insurance for travel. Shop around and read the fine print of what policies actually cover. And if you have a decent travel credit card, you might find much of what you might need is covered by it.

My rule of thumb is to always buy outside insurance for travel. Shop around and read the fine print of what policies actually cover. And if you have a decent travel credit card, you might find much of what you might need is covered by it.
Good ideas here. I definitely agree about buying outside insurance. Also, many credit cards offer something if you charge the travel with the card.

If you do decide to get the insurance through Disney, add it right before you make final payment. Trip insurance is non refundable, so it’s best to wait to purchase it.

I second the suggestion to price other policies though. Be sure to read what they cover. I get insurance because my mother is older and has had some medical problems in recent years. Medical transport is something I always make sure is included. And since we travel during hurricane season, I make sure the policy covers trip interruption.

Thank you for this! Trip interruption and medical is what I’m concerned about. Do you happen to recall who you’ve used for insurance in the past?

I use the insurance provided when I charge my trip on the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card. It is free and the coverage is excellent

Thank you for this! Trip interruption and medical is what I’m concerned about. Do you happen to recall who you’ve used for insurance in the past?
We used the medical insurance by Travel Guard (google it). It covered the hospital co-pays, extra hotel, and change in airfare. No problems.

Also, if USAA is your insurance provider you can get travel insurance at a discount thru their travel insurance partner. Last time I got travel insurance, I compared USAA’s discounted insurance with going directly through the partner and found I saved $50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter