Travelling to DLP by Car

Ms Poppins

I'm sure I'm very affected by all this Disney talk
Elaine has asked me to put together a brief guide on driving to DLP. We've only done it once, so not the most experienced, but hopefully this may be useful to someone:

TRAVELLING TO DLP BY CAR FROM UK

There are many benefits to driving to DLP. Crossings from the UK are well organised, the roads reasonably easy to navigate and best of all you can go at your own pace and load your car with everything you think you’ll need!

COMPULSORY ITEMS REQUIRED TO DRIVE IN FRANCE

Hi-Vis Vest
Red Warning Triangle
Headlight/beam Convertors
Replacement bulbs *please see post #12*
If you don’t have European GB number plates (with blue stars above the GB sign) you will need a GB sticker/magnetic badge for the back of the vehicle.

The vest and warning triangle need to be kept inside the car, not the boot. The idea being that in the event they are needed, the vest can be put on before exiting the vehicle.

Useful information on driving in Europe and current items required can be found here

SUGGESTED ITEMS TO HAVE

First Aid Kit
DVD Player for your angels in the back!

DOCUMENTS/INSURANCE

Make sure you have your full driving licence(s) and registration document for your vehicle.
Contact your car insurer to tell them you’re travelling in Europe, which may increase the premium slightly.
It’s also worth considering European Breakdown Cover for the duration of your trip.
Remember your Passports!

PLACES TO STAY OVERNIGHT BEFORE/AFTER CROSSING IN UK

Ashford is located just off the M20. Minutes from junction 9 there is the conveniently located Eureka Retail Park. Within the park there is a Premier Inn and Travelodge. Places to eat include, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Beefeater, Pizza Hut and Frankie and Bennys. McDonalds very handy for an early breakfast if getting an early crossing. There is also a Cineworld.

Other hotels in Ashford include the Ashford International Hotel and Holiday Inn. A large Sainsburys is located near the centre of Ashford where you can fill up with petrol/diesel.

See more more useful information about Ashford here courtesy of Lisa C

CROSSING USING EUROTUNNEL – FOLKESTONE TO CALAIS, 35 MINUTES

You can book online and find further information here
When booking the crossing you choose a departure time, currently there are 4 per hour. Check in will close 30 minutes before departure time. However, one major benefit with Eurotunnel is the flexibility to change your departure time if you happen to be early or late. You will be moved to the next available crossing free of charge, which takes the stress away if you happen to be delayed in traffic. Provide your car registration number when booking. This and your chosen payment card, debit/credit card, will be required to identify you when checking in. You’ll also get an email with a booking reference. Take this along too. On the crossing back, our car registration was recognised automatically and our name popped up on screen for super fast check-in using a touchscreen at the booth.

The Eurotunnel Terminal is located on M20, junction 11a - this is approximately 20 minutes drive from Ashford. All lanes are very clearly signposted directing traffic to check-in booths.

You will be given a hanger with a number/letter on it telling you which lanes to follow. You hang this on the inside mirror on the windscreen.

Simply follow the lanes to your train, where you will be guided to the train and shown inside. Here's what it looks like:

2011_0729Disney110176-3.jpg

2011_0729Disney110177-3.jpg

2011_0726Disney110005-1.jpg

Once on the train carriage doors will be closed and safety announcements given. There are toilets available every two carriages. The crossing takes approximately 35 minutes. You can get out your vehicle if you wish although there is not much room, or anywhere to go.

On arrival you will be guided off the train.

Driving directions to DLP from the terminal can be found here

The route to DLP is mostly motorway, and very straightforward. The speed limit is slightly faster than in the UK 130km/h (80mph approx). It is worth noting that the speed lowers in wet weather. Keep an eye on the road signs.

Remember, all the exit lanes from the motorways will be on the right hand side, which will be the ‘slow lane’. Some of these lanes will route off the motorway, so check the overhead signs well in advance or you might end up off the motorway before you know it!

The route above will take you on toll roads. Pass through toll booths to pick up a ticket, and then pay for this further up the motorway. Currently the toll price is 20.40E each way. Payment can be made in Euros or by debit/credit card and attendants are available. If you happen to go to a booth without attendants, don't worry. Simply insert your debit/credit card and the barrier will lift - no need for your PIN.

The journey will take about 3 hours. Parking bays/rest stops are plentiful for stretching your legs. These are signposted as ‘Aires’. Many are like services in the UK with filling stations, some are just rest stops.

As you approach Disneyland, the signs will guide you to your chosen hotel.

If you stay on-site at any of the Disney hotels, parking is free of charge.

The Hotel Santa Fe has an Esso filling station which is also handy for picking up snacks. Diesel is gazole and unleaded is sans plomb.

For some general driving tips see here

Camping/Caravanning/Motor Homes info can be found here courtesy of cap'njack.

Thank you Julie :flower3: this is brilliant, it's exactly what the Very Useful Info sticky was lacking.

If anyone else would like to contribute any further info or add their own experiences of driving then please post on this thread. Any info on budget hotels to stay at if doing an overnight stop in France or details on ferry crossings would be appreciated too. :goodvibes

Fantastic! but dont forget the nightmare junctions at :rotfl:Charle de whats his face in Paris! MOTHER !!!:rotfl:

I'm driving to Disney for the first time in November, this will be valuable help so many thanks!

Not looking forward to the drive! I just hope the weather is decent!

A bulb replacement kit a legal requirement!!

May also be worth noting something about the last section of the drive. As when we went, we spent 4 hours doing a straight line and when we finally come off the Autoroute and approached our first roundabout I nearly went the British way round it!! lol

Also, for those going over on the ferry, if you arrive earlier (either in Dover or Calais) they usually just load you on! (depending on the time of year!)

A bit of advice is that if you have a diesel car then fill up in France as its a lot cheaper then the UK (don't use the motorways) there is an Auchan at Val d' Europe where I paid £1.12 per litre about a month ago. There is also a Carreforre fuel station at Cite Europe near the tunnel.

Unleaded isn't cheaper & can even sometime be dearer then the UK

This is excellent for any first time drivers, takes away much of the stress/worries!!

One thing to note about the eurotunnel, although you can change your crossing time if you are early/late, this may not always be free of charge. It depends on the rate that you originally paid, and whether this applies to the 'new' time that you want.

However, the different options of times/prices will appear on the screen when you are checking in, and you can pick whichever suits you best.

A bulb replacement kit a legal requirement!!

May also be worth noting something about the last section of the drive. As when we went, we spent 4 hours doing a straight line and when we finally come off the Autoroute and approached our first roundabout I nearly went the British way round it!! lol

I don't think that a bulb replacement kit is compulsary, just a recommendation.

From AA website, rules for Driving in France

Compulsory equipment in France and Monaco:
• Warning triangle - excludes motorcycles
• Snow chains - must be fitted to vehicles using snow-covered roads in compliance with the relevant road sign. Maximum speed limit 31 mph (50km/h)
• Reflective jackets (EN471) - one reflective jacket in the vehicle. This does not apply to drivers of two-wheeled and three-wheeled vehicles.

Other rules/requirements in France and Monaco:

It is recommended that visitors equip their vehicle with a set of replacement bulbs.
Snow tyres marked M&S are recommended on roads covered with ice or snow. The minimum tread depth is 3.5mm.
In built-up areas give way to traffic coming from the right “priorité a droite”.
At signed roundabouts bearing the words "Vous n'avez pas la priorité" or "Cédez le passage" traffic on the roundabout has priority; where no such sign exists traffic entering the roundabout has priority.
Overtaking stationary trams is prohibited when passengers are boarding / alighting.
Parking discs for ‘blue zone’ parking areas can be obtained from police stations, tourist offices and some shops.
In built up areas the use of the horn is prohibited except in cases of immediate danger.
Apparatus with a screen which can distract a driver (such as television, video, DVD equipment) should be positioned in places where the driver is unable to see them. This excludes GPS systems. It is prohibited to touch or program the device unless parked in a safe place.
It is absolutely prohibited to carry, transport or use radar detectors. Failure to comply with this regulation involves a fine of up to 1500 Euros and the vehicle and/or device may be confiscated. Road signs indicating the location of fixed speed cameras are being removed.

It's a funny one the bulb replacement - It's not a law ie a legal requirement and if you get stopped with a bulb gone they won't ticket or on the spot fine you

BUT

if you then drive off without having changed the bulb you can and will be sanctionned

**I asked OH as I had my doubts as I know no one who carries them and he confirmed the above...it's in the code de la route (highway code) apparently**

:goodvibes

At signed roundabouts bearing the words "Vous n'avez pas la priorité" or "Cédez le passage" traffic on the roundabout has priority; where no such sign exists traffic entering the roundabout has priority.

I'm not convinced there are any roundabouts without these signs any more. I think they've pretty much converted the whole country now.

It's a funny one the bulb replacement - It's not a law ie a legal requirement and if you get stopped with a bulb gone they won't ticket or on the spot fine you

BUT

if you then drive off without having changed the bulb you can and will be sanctionned

**I asked OH as I had my doubts as I know no one who carries them and he confirmed the above...it's in the code de la route (highway code) apparently**

:goodvibes

In that case it's probably best to consider it compulsory then ::yes:: I've put a link to your post in the original one.

Fantastic! but dont forget the nightmare junctions at :rotfl:Charle de whats his face in Paris! MOTHER !!!:rotfl:

Agreed!
But if the next person who drives can get their OH to take a photo of the nightmare junction and the overhead road signs we could put together a photo-story (a la Jackie Magazine for thiose of us old enough to know what I'm on about!) of how to drive to DLP and which junctions to take or not take!

In that case it's probably best to consider it compulsary then ::yes:: I've put a link to your post in the original one.

Definitely :thumbsup2
I will be looking out for bulbs to put in our car now I know ;)

The only pb with it is though that on so many cars nowadays you can't change the bulbs yourself (if you have to take the bumper off for exemple) it would have to be done in a garage, that I wonder how they would expect you to change it but I think having the bulbs must count towards showing willing :lmao:

Thanks for clearing that up Carrie, a bit confusing isn't it! :confused3

Best get some bulbs for Feb then! Though as you say, I'm not sure we could change them roadside anyway. Some european breakdown cover too I think!!

Great thread ! Bravo and merci :worship:

May I adjust two or three things :

-> In case of rain the speed limit is reduced to +/- 68 mph (110 km/h) on "autoroutes" (motorways)
-> Now, motorbikes drivers must wear a yellow safety jacket at all times and switch the "main light" on while driving.
-> After a big complaint of AA (aka Automobile Associations and citizens), road signs informing of speed cameras are not being removed any more but there will be more and more speed cameras added (and some with new technology : able to shoot 2 lines at a time, backwards, etc...) pirate:
And of course those ones won't be signed.

How do they enforce the reduced speed limit when it's raining? What is classified as rain? I'm not entirely sure how they can police it. Do speed cameras automatically adjust if it starts raining?

Good question !

3rd generation speed cameras have things like moisture sensors.

Those can change the speed radars allowance in case of rain, fog or snow conditions. They are few for now but the number is increasing fast :headache:

Also note that in case of a pollution in a particular area, or if work on a stretch of road, it is quite possible that the speed limit is lowered by operators, as all "radars" are remote controlled.

The question is not necessary for "manual" control (made by police) : they can adjust the speed limit according to waether conditions

That's for the theory. If you want to go dipper in the legal side, it might be difficult to sort out as law articles make a difference between rain and water drops. And the "Code de la Route" (traffic regulation) seems to consider the difference according the quantity of water on the road itself.

In a few words, not very clear right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter