Progreso Shore Excursions Recommendations

We’re on the January 21 cruise out of Galveston. But I’ll still be interested in your report, because we’ll probably keep the DCL excursion to Uxmal we’ve already booked, and I’d like to hear more about Mayapan.
We are on the cruise just before you Jan 17-21! Have a great cruise!

We were considering the Mayapan excursion for a cruise with a stop in Progreso. There was an amazing review on youtube that pretty much showed the whole thing. I think I used "disney cruise progreso mayapan ruins" as the search term. (Unfortunately, we decided on a different cruise since DH "has" to go to CC.)

UPDATE: Just off the Magic- currently Mayapan site is “inaccessible” and tour was altered to Ake ruins instead. Was disappointed to not go to Mayapan ruins, as this was a repeat excursion for us, but still had a good time. Ake was smaller and could not climb all. Hope issue is resolved before y’all go, as Mayapan is awesome!! There was mention about “protests” but didn’t receive too much detail. You’ll have fun either way.

UPDATE: Just off the Magic- currently Mayapan site is “inaccessible” and tour was altered to Ake ruins instead. Was disappointed to not go to Mayapan ruins, as this was a repeat excursion for us, but still had a good time. Ake was smaller and could not climb all. Hope issue is resolved before y’all go, as Mayapan is awesome!! There was mention about “protests” but didn’t receive too much detail. You’ll have fun either way.
Did you receive any compensation or did you get the choice to cancel or switch to an other excursion?

We were given option to switch to a different excursion if we wished. Assuming we would have paid difference if price was different. No compensation was offered.

Thanks for the update. As it turns out, we won’t be doing the Uxmal excursion after all - had to cancel it for various reasons. 😢

We were on the first Disney cruise to visit Progresso back in December 2021. Grand Cayman was still closed to cruises due to Covid so the port was switched to there. We did the Mayapan tour and had a great time. It was really cool being able to climb up to the top of a pyramid, although the climb down was terrifying. Hopefully the excursion opens back up soon!

image0.jpgimage1.jpg

Research shows that the protests started in late November, but are still going on.

"The people who live in the area are protesting that the government is not sharing the admission fees and have blocked the access road to the archeological site"

We're going early February and really hope it will be open. Climbing a Mayan temple is on our bucket list.

We're going to do the Uxmal port adventure. I believe that one's still available? For those heading to Progresso, would you please drop a note after the fact letting us know how it all went? We're going in mid-Feb.

Did the rest of the excursion stay the same (lunch and cenote)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter