Travellers cheques

WaT05

Earning My Ears
I have never used travellers cheques before, and I was just wondering whether when you use them in America you have to cash them in or whether you can just use them like you would cash?? Also will travel agents buy back any unused cheques when you return from your holiday

Thanks
Hazel

You can use them either way, i.e if a bill comes to $40 and you pay witha $50 they'll give you a $10 bill as change or you could cash them if you wanted but its a bit of a waste as $40 cheque equals $40. Whether your travel agent will buy back depends on the agent, you could pay any unused ones back into your bank but you'd get THEIR buy back rate so that may be worth shopping around on.

Just about everywhere in Florida will accept them as if they were cash, you don't even need ID. When we were in LA some places wanted to see a photo ID (I used my drivers license), but other than that I've never had a problem using them like cash.

Last time we went to the States, we got our travellers cheques from the First Choice travel agent. They beat every other exchange rate that was on offer in town that day, and offered commission free buy-back.

I always take a good chunk in travellers checks, and as someone noted, you tend to get a better exchange rate and they are accepted as cash.

We were asked for ID at NBA restaurant at Universal, Rain Forest Cafe at DTD and WinnDixie at Formosa Gardens otherwise no ID was asked for durung our holiday. Just sign them in front of the waiter or shop assistant as you would a regular cheque.

Libby

I no longer take TCs, just use my nationwide credit card. Carrying my passport became a bit of a pain, that said, photo ID was required to pay by CC at Goodings at Crossroads & at one of the stores in Premium outlet mall, but they let me buy anyway, even though I had nothing!

I always take my credit card as well as TCs. I like TCs because they help me budget - for example I allocate myself $150 in TCs per day. if I did it all on CC I fear it would be harder to keep track and I would arrive home to a hideous bill ;)

I do use my CC for the odd purchase but not every day.

I have only been asked for ID once in 4 trips and probably 80 times of using TCs, but I find my photocard on my driving licence is ideal for that. I definitely don't want to carry my passport about!

Sears in the Florida Mall is one place where they definitely want to see ID before they'll take a travellers cheque, so beware having nothing like DL or passport on you. The assistant in there last month said it was their policy after a recent fraud of several $'000.

Inconvenient, but a warning that not everywhere will take the TC unquestioned.

On the other hand, trying to "cash" the "check" will equally lead to suspicion and call for ID as it just ain't the US way..... ::MickeyMo

The only place I have ever had a Travellers Cheque refused was a Macdonalds in Wisconsin. We had just arrived and had not had time to get some change, this McD's did not take Credit cards and would not take Tc's. cash only.

WaT05 said:
Is it ok to use a provisional driving licence as ID??

I don't know actually - it's the photo bit I always use, do you get that with your provisional one? If so I never knew that!

So long as its a 'government-issued' photo ID you'll be fine, so if the provisional license is a photocard license, then yes, you'll be fine

I got travellers cheques and had no problme, as for id the hotel told me that they photocopy the picture part of your passport stamp it with a homeland security stamp and use that instead of carrying your passport with you. I brought back $500 so am glad I can use them next year.

when i travelled overseas by myself as a teenager i carried travelers cheques...
possibly in my early 20's as well, though i no longer recall...
however, i haven't used them for years and years...
i carry a few credit cards and lots of cash just in case....i usually come back home with most of the cash since i use the credit cards whenever i can (including at winn dixie, etc.).......

Think it depends where you are and which travellers checks you have...

Never had any problems with American Express t.c's and also Thomas Cook t.c's in Florida

However, had plenty of problems with Thomas Cook t.c's in New York, of all places. Eventually asked someone refusing them if American Express t.c's would be ok and they said they would be excepted without probs.

Thomas Cook t.c's in Las Vegas required i.d. more often than not!

Once my remaining Thomas Cooks are used up, I'll be taking American Express T.C's from now on!

Mr Ed said:
Think it depends where you are and which travellers checks you have...

Never had any problems with American Express t.c's and also Thomas Cook t.c's in Florida

However, had plenty of problems with Thomas Cook t.c's in New York, of all places. Eventually asked someone refusing them if American Express t.c's would be ok and they said they would be excepted without probs.

Thomas Cook t.c's in Las Vegas required i.d. more often than not!

Once my remaining Thomas Cooks are used up, I'll be taking American Express T.C's from now on!

that makes sense.....everyone's familiar with AMEX in the US, but pretty much no one has heard of thomas cook (except for places like orlando, where hordes of brits travel)......i'm sure they figure you just printed them up on your computer printer......

If you don't date them they don't expire. I still have some from a few visits ago when the exchange rate was really good so will use them next year.

DH replaced is old drivers licence with the new type especially for photo id purposes in US. We too had to have photo id when using our credit card in Goodings. Did you get that older lady take stuff to your car? We seem to get her every trip!!

Susan

We have always used Visa travellers cheques - since most places in thr UK accept the back which gives me a bit more leway to get a better rate!

i Have never had any problems and have never been asked for ID at all. We have got ours from various places but they have only ever said VISA on them - no name of the shop etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter