Transportation to/from WDW to Port Canaveral and from PC to MCO

saintwb

Earning My Ears
Is there any information available regarding availability of Disney transportation from WDW to the port and from port to MCO for upcoming (fingers and toes crossed) cruises?

One of the former perks of taking DCL transfers back to MCO was that several airlines (not all and not SWA) would offer Onboard Airline Check In. On the last full day of the cruise, they'd deliver luggage tags and boarding passes to your cabin instead of the little character luggage tags. So once you put your bag out the last night, you didn't see or touch it until you arrived at your home airport. That was so nice. I'm sure that perk will be gone in a post covid world, just like RAC is gone from Disney resorts.

Thank you Orem for the link! Great info! Oh we can dream, and hope that this service returns/doesn’t disappear ruadisneyfan2!

I usually rent a car, but am considering Disney transportation for our next cruise.
Do you pay for parking at the port or rent and drop off at port? I'm interested if the latter option is possible and whether it's a decent price. Thanks!

Do you pay for parking at the port or rent and drop off at port? I'm interested if the latter option is possible and whether it's a decent price. Thanks!
I have always done a one way rental from MCO to port canaveral and turned it in before the cruise. I don't come in the same day, so had booked a hotel night near the port, parked there, and then drove to the port the next morning before turning the car in.

This time, we are starting at Disney without a car, so I could pick up a rental at Disney Springs and drive to the port. Even this time, for 2 of us, it is a bit cheaper than Disney transportation, but that is because I can get pretty good leisure rates via my company's rental car discount. Rental cars are super expensive right now.

However, I am thinking with buying gas and paying tolls is is almost a wash and then I also have the extra time to return and get back, etc. I am now thinking that it is about a wash cost wise and may be more relaxing to take the bus. However, it might be nice to pick up some last minute stuff (maybe a bottle or two of wine or some laundry soap) on the way there and just take the bus from the ship to the airport.

When it was 4 of us and rental cars were reasonable, it was a no brainer. We got to be on our own schedule and like to have the car the day before the cruise.

This (used to be, before car rental prices exploded) my rule of thumb:

2 people == Disney transportation is a reasonable deal.

4 people == rent a car ESPECIALLY if having one will improve your visits to the parks the last day or two.
But orum is correct, higher prices for rental cars may alter this calculation and
A limo/car-service will stop for a shopping visit before you get on the ship.

Very relaxing and easy to get on a Disney bus or limo/car-service at PC and have them drop you off at MCO . . .

This (used to be, before car rental prices exploded) my rule of thumb:

2 people == Disney transportation is a reasonable deal.

4 people == rent a car ESPECIALLY if having one will improve your visits to the parks the last day or two.
But orum is correct, higher prices for rental cars may alter this calculation and
A limo/car-service will stop for a shopping visit before you get on the ship.

Very relaxing and easy to get on a Disney bus or limo/car-service at PC and have them drop you off at MCO . . .
To me, this varies not just according to the number of passengers but also how much luggage we’re hauling. When it was 4 of us, sailing a 7-night cruise with formal wear, pirate night gear, Phillies gear for watching the World Series on the big screen by the pool, yeah that was a lot of stuff compared to a 3-night escape with 2 suitcases.
That’s when I really appreciate a driver who handles our bags and we don’t have to cram all of it into the trunk, hauling it on and off of the rental car company’s shuttle van, etc.

I realized today two things that have solidified my decision to take a rental car.
1. later port arrival times. This will give me some time to pick up anything we might need on our way.
2. I am sure masks will be required on the bus and in the car, we won’t have to.

I haven’t heard anymore about it lately but isn’t the Magical Express stopping end of Jan 2022?

Are they replacing it with something else I wonder?

I haven’t heard anymore about it lately but isn’t the Magical Express stopping end of Jan 2022?

Are they replacing it with something else I wonder?
The magical express (complimentary airport to/from WDW) is going away. The paid transport to/from the port will still be available.

Thanks to everyone for the input on rental cars. For those who have done it before, how bad is traffic at port? Second question: do you drop off party at port with all luggage than just have one person return car? Or is it faster to go turn in car and take luggage on rental car shuttle? Thanks again!

Thanks to everyone for the input on rental cars. For those who have done it before, how bad is traffic at port? Second question: do you drop off party at port with all luggage than just have one person return car? Or is it faster to go turn in car and take luggage on rental car shuttle? Thanks again!

I've never had a bad experience with traffic at the port. It's been fine.

As for dropping off the car, I've done it both ways -- dropping off the party and luggage, or keeping everyone together and taking the shuttle. Most recently, we've been keeping everyone together, as the National Rental Car shuttle has been quick and easy to take us all.

Yesterday I started scoping out car rentals for later this fall for WDW to port. Current prices are 2x+ I'd expect in pre-pandemic times (current lowest quote is $500 for 2 day/economy car). I am on the fence about DME - not so much about the price ($39/person/way), but the 8:30 am pick up time. (That's what Disney informed me of last week when I called.) At this point, DME transfers are out of the question (I don't want to sit around the port for who knows how long.) Private transfers might be my best option if the rental prices do not change.

Last edited:
I don't like disney transport, they get you there too late in the day. We arrive at port as early as possible so that we can board as early as possible. I want every moment possible on the ship.

I don't like disney transport, they get you there too late in the day. We arrive at port as early as possible so that we can board as early as possible. I want every moment possible on the ship.

If you’re cruising soon, this is no longer an issue. With the start up next week, the port doesn’t open until 1:00pm. Anyone arriving earlier than their pat will not be allowed to park and turned away. (All castaway levels have to have a pat now) The bus will probably arrive by then too. We leave the end of august and are under these new guidelines too. I’m platinum but had to have a PAT.

No traffic problems in Port Canaveral. Miami is a different story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter