Transportation of ECV scooter and large group.

29apr00

Momma to a Princess and a little Prince!
We have a group of 9 heading down to WDW in November and will have 1 scooter. our original plan was to utilize the Minnie Van service for the week. Well thanks to COVID, Minnie Van is not an option. With the limited capacity of buses already, i'm wondering if it is going to be an even bigger hassle trying to accomodate our large group on the buses. I've heard bus capacity is 25. If we are already taking the scooter zone, our group size will probably take up 3 zones on the bus, if we even get on!! We could be waiting forever for a bus. Does Uber or Lyft have a way to designate a handicap accessible van for pick ups, and does it take much longer than a normal wait time?

With each bus "zone" having 5-6 seats, I believe a group of 9 will take 2 zones -- 6 in one zone and the ECV plus 2 others in another zone. You may end up splitting and regrouping at the park, which would happen with Minnie Vans (max 6 I think?) or taxi or Uber/Lyft. Another option might be to consider a couple of rental vehicles. If you'd been planning/budgeting for Minnie Vans everywhere anyway, rentals may come in similar cost.

Has anyone used Mears's accessible van? I vaguely using one from the MCO to PCR instead of a DME. I don't know why DME had me use one. Maybe no DME had a lift available. The van had a rear lift.

Has anyone used Mears's accessible van? I vaguely using one from the MCO to PCR instead of a DME. I don't know why DME had me use one. Maybe no DME had a lift available. The van had a rear lift.

i read about that in another post and it seemed promising. I just am not sure how prevelant it would be and again, folding up a scooter and still having room for 9 plus the driver.....that's like a 15 passenger van with storage room. I just don't know if any of these options are really going to work.

hmmm.....wonder if Disney will let us just hire a bus for the week. LOL

DME is operated by Mears. They will, at times, use alternate equipment, based on operational issues such as equipment maintenance, staffing, and training,

I personally don’t like getting on or off large buses (e.g., greyhound-style) in my chair. I’ve had an unfortunate string of luck with broken lifts or buses that haven’t had any tie-downs. City/Disney buses don’t seem to have as many issues.

Mears will be happy to rent you an accessible vehicle and a driver for the day. Or more.

See https://www.mearstransportation.com/orlando-charter-bus-motor-coach-rentals/.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter