• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transportation from AKL to AK

Ms.Minnie

DIS Veteran
We plan to visit AKL during our next trip to WDW. What is the transportation situation from AKL to AK? Is it bus only or is there a walking trail? We haven't been to AKL since it first opened so I'm not knowledgeable with the transportation at this resort. We would like to visit again, walk around the resort, see the animals and maybe get lunch. This is part of our no park plan for our next trip since it doesn't look like annual passes will be available anytime soon. Thanks in advance. :flower1:

It is bus only, but this is basically the best bus in all of WDW, imo. The bus comes very often and the ride is maybe 5 minutes.

There could really be a walking trail, but there isn't one and there is no way you could walk on the highway. That would be beyond dangerous. There are no sidewalks or any other accommodation for pedestrians.

What I mean by "very often) is that the bus comes every 10 minutes or so, sometimes even faster than that. I've never waited more than 15 minutes, max, for this bus.

The lodge is beautiful, there are many overlooks to the savannas, and are you going to have breakfast or dinner at Boma? (hint hint)

Be warned: after you visit the resort you may decide then and there THIS IS THE RESORT I HAVE TO STAY AT NEXT VISIT!
Happened to me, LOL AKL is my alltime FAV resort. I've only been twice but I dream of staying there again.

I thought I read awhile back that there was talk about a possible walkway or tram to AK from AKL. I guess it never happened, at least not yet...one can always hope. :flower1:

Be warned: after you visit the resort you may decide then and there THIS IS THE RESORT I HAVE TO STAY AT NEXT VISIT!
Happened to me, LOL AKL is my alltime FAV resort. I've only been twice but I dream of staying there again.

I think on a resort only trip AKL might be a good choice. I will see what we think after we visit again. Thanks for the reply.

It is bus only, but this is basically the best bus in all of WDW, imo. The bus comes very often and the ride is maybe 5 minutes.

There could really be a walking trail, but there isn't one and there is no way you could walk on the highway. That would be beyond dangerous. There are no sidewalks or any other accommodation for pedestrians.

What I mean by "very often) is that the bus comes every 10 minutes or so, sometimes even faster than that. I've never waited more than 15 minutes, max, for this bus.

The lodge is beautiful, there are many overlooks to the savannas, and are you going to have breakfast or dinner at Boma? (hint hint)

I wasn't sure, I had thought about getting something from the pool bar but no definite plans at this time. What would you suggest is the best?

I thought I read awhile back that there was talk about a possible walkway or tram to AK from AKL. I guess it never happened, at least not yet...one can always hope. :flower1:

I think on a resort only trip AKL might be a good choice. I will see what we think after we visit again. Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure, I had thought about getting something from the pool bar but no definite plans at this time. What would you suggest is the best?
You should read over the menus and decide for yourself. Everyone's tastes are different and I'm vegan, so my faves and yours may not coincide! Sanaa (at Kidani--the DVC building) is also a wonderful restaurant.

thought I read awhile back that there was talk about a possible walkway or tram to AK from AKL. I guess it never happened, at least not yet...one can always hope. :flower1:
There are rumors that a new Skyliner route might be built, connecting AKL with AK as well as with CSR and the All Stars. Just a rumor! But as you say, we can always hope!

Trip from AKV to AK, once you are on the bus, is fairly quick. Time it takes you to walk to the bus station if you are in a room near the end of the north wing of Kidani is longer.

We plan to visit AKL during our next trip to WDW. What is the transportation situation from AKL to AK? Is it bus only or is there a walking trail? We haven't been to AKL since it first opened so I'm not knowledgeable with the transportation at this resort. We would like to visit again, walk around the resort, see the animals and maybe get lunch. This is part of our no park plan for our next trip since it doesn't look like annual passes will be available anytime soon. Thanks in advance. :flower1:
Are you planning to visit Jambo (the hotel + DVC building w/ Boma & Jiko & the impressive lobby) or Kidani (the all DVC building w/ Sanaa.) The bus from AK will stop at Kidani first and Jambo second. The bus drivers always say which stop it is, but sometimes people get confused.

Are you planning to visit Jambo (the hotel + DVC building w/ Boma & Jiko & the impressive lobby) or Kidani (the all DVC building w/ Sanaa.) The bus from AK will stop at Kidani first and Jambo second. The bus drivers always say which stop it is, but sometimes people get confused.

Thanks for the information. We were planning on visiting the whole resort, it is much larger than the last time we were there. It may take a while to see all of it that is accessible to visitors. Based on what you have said it sounds like it would be better to get the bus on the on the Kidani side of the resort when it's time to leave. Thats that is a very useful/helpful bit of information. Thanks!

Thanks for the information. We were planning on visiting the whole resort, it is much larger than the last time we were there. It may take a while to see all of it that is accessible to visitors. Based on what you have said it sounds like it would be better to get the bus on the on the Kidani side of the resort when it's time to leave. Thats that is a very useful/helpful bit of information. Thanks!
The savanna viewing spots are:
At Jambo - walk around the pool area on the left side for Uzima savanna - there’s usually a CM stationed there who’ll be happy to chat about the animals you see.
Directly behind the lobby outside is the Arusha overlook w/ the fire pit for viewing the animals on Arusha savanna.
Inside above the check in counter is a small room that overlooks Sunset savanna.
At Kidani - outside behind the lobby is the Sunset savanna overlook. Beyond the pool area to the right is the Pembe savanna overlook.
The walk between the 2 buildings takes about 10 minutes and is well marked or there’s a shuttle bus that runs between the buildings. If your goal is to explore I’d get off at Kidani (the first stop) go through their lobby to see Sunset savanna, then exit the lobby & wander down to their pool area (it’s very pretty) then walk, hop on the shuttle bus (to the right of Kidani’s entry,) or hop on any bus heading to a park over to Jambo. At Jambo I’d browse the lovely gift shop (which you’ll likely walk through to get to the lobby) check out the Arusha overlook in back, go up to the 5th floor to walk across the sky bridge over the lobby, head down to the Mara QS to grab a soda/snack, then wander to the left of the pool area to the Uzima overlook (it’s quiet & there are a couple of outdoor tables there,) then maybe stop inside the lobby at Victoria Falls - the bar area if you’d like an adult beverage. Here’s a photo I took from the sky bridge looking down towards Jambo’s lobby.
D9704762-F453-4A02-9D78-24D785104848.jpeg

The savanna viewing spots are:
At Jambo - walk around the pool area on the left side for Uzima savanna - there’s usually a CM stationed there who’ll be happy to chat about the animals you see.
Directly behind the lobby outside is the Arusha overlook w/ the fire pit for viewing the animals on Arusha savanna.
Inside above the check in counter is a small room that overlooks Sunset savanna.
At Kidani - outside behind the lobby is the Sunset savanna overlook. Beyond the pool area to the right is the Pembe savanna overlook.
The walk between the 2 buildings takes about 10 minutes and is well marked or there’s a shuttle bus that runs between the buildings. If your goal is to explore I’d get off at Kidani (the first stop) go through their lobby to see Sunset savanna, then exit the lobby & wander down to their pool area (it’s very pretty) then walk, hop on the shuttle bus (to the right of Kidani’s entry,) or hop on any bus heading to a park over to Jambo. At Jambo I’d browse the lovely gift shop (which you’ll likely walk through to get to the lobby) check out the Arusha overlook in back, go up to the 5th floor to walk across the sky bridge over the lobby, head down to the Mara QS to grab a soda/snack, then wander to the left of the pool area to the Uzima overlook (it’s quiet & there are a couple of outdoor tables there,) then maybe stop inside the lobby at Victoria Falls - the bar area if you’d like an adult beverage. Here’s a photo I took from the sky bridge looking down towards Jambo’s lobby.
View attachment 708562

Thanks so much for all the great information. The AKL looks like a very large resort, I'm pretty sure we would have missed the sky bridge without the heads up. Thanks! princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter