Trail's End at Fort Wilderness closing to become quick service

Noooooooo! I’m so sad about this! I know it recently hasn’t been what it once was, but we loved this place! The price was right, too.

That's too bad. We always enjoyed our visits there, we made sure to have dinner at TE when we camped. We haven't been since pre-pandemic.

Trails End already had "quick service" at "P&J's Southern Takeout" which came from the same kitchen that did the Hoop Dee Doo Review food, Trails End food, and P&J's food.

Disney is waving the white flag that they can't offer a meal that will beat what the majority of their target audience (Fort Wilderness campers) are willing to pay for. Because their table serving are junk outside of premium offerings.

The announcement to move to All Counter Service/Marketplace style means when they finally build the ugly DVC/resort thing behind Pioneer Hall, the resort-thing will have the table service junk service and Fort Wilderness will be handed the Counter/Quick Service. And still fewer people than expected will eat the Disney offering at FW.

What a SHAME! The "Marketplace" planned sounds like a food court. They might move some walls back in the restaurant and shlep some crap to the masses. And some of those who don't know any better might bite at it and instantly regret it.

That's the burden that's on already on their back. They can project rosy future numbers all they want to. Bookmark this thread.

If they had a profitable/good-for-the-guest idea, they would have already put it out there. Years ago they would have.

Geeze.

Bama Ed

We have enjoyed Trails End numerous times.

Is it going to be worth a trip for a QS/Marketplace?

Trails End, when a buffet, was (to me) one of the best-if not THE best-restaurants on property.

When we’d decide to have dinner there after setting up at our site, and didn’t have a reservation, it was usually a good long wait as walk-ins, especially if on a weekend. After covid, when it became a “family style,” it had lost much of what I enjoyed to begin with.

I could understand if the PTB’s decided to not employ buffets again across the board, but they’re bringing back buffets in other places. But now, a quick service? If I’m not staying at the Fort, why would I want to go through the trouble of getting to TE?

Or maybe that was the point? I can’t figure out why the PTB’s would take such a solid money maker (I assume), that was loved by most who dined there, and turn it into a dimestore variety restaurant?

As math challenged as I am, I’m beginning to wonder if I should submit a CV to Iger because I don’t think I’d make decisions that would be much worse than this one.

I was planning on a first visit over here in May:(
Thought it seemed like a good value. Almost all of my meals now involve disney springs.

Remember Noodlegate not so long ago when 'Ohana reopened and tried to replace the noodles with rice? Not long after the shrimp casserole went away and the grilled shrimp returned......MAYBE if we storm Disney again before they start "refurbishing" we can remind them how very much we all LOVED Trail's End when it was the Buffet.....if the concern is that it;s just not as popular as it was pre-pandemic, well yes, of course! Everyone was waiting for the Buffet to return!!! That baked potato bar was the stuff dreams are made of.....

Interesting. I haven't eaten at Trail's End for years (I did enjoy it). I've dined at P&J's twice since the covid re-opening (once when you could dine in the Trail's End area and once when we had to take our meal outside). I'm not sure how I feel about this. I have to say, I really enjoy P&J's and I like the Marketplace set-up at YC. I feel like, if the food is good and they offer indoor seating, it might be nice? We have never stayed at Ft. W but do visit on occasion to go to the stables, kayak, carriage rides, etc. I know we will still eat at the Ft. even if it's just a Marketplace now.

This really puzzles me. P&J's is right next door, and it has a seating area. Yet when I was there last week, there was no one there. And the seating area was closed. I sat right outside the door, since the weather was nice, and there was virtually no traffic. Yet, they really think there's enough demand for another QS?

All the things that made it great, made it expendable

- A good value
- Not too crowded
- A small buffet (back when it was a buffet)
- The buffet was optional, too

Running a less-crowded buffet or restaurant with prices that aren't too bad likely doomed it.

Also, while I loved it as it was, I don't know if that is what campers wanted. Perhaps they have been asking for a quick-service experience.

I would say that overall, I prefer fast-casual restaurants these days, but I find this news rather sad.

Don't really have much history with Trail's End so can't really speak to/appreciate it the way some can. However we stayed a week in a cabin over Thanksgiving (had visited FW many times prior but this was our first time staying there) and one of our takeaways was we thought the dining options/menus with the FW options as a whole were lacking/limited, at least for our length of stay/travel habits. While we did have a full kitchen in the cabin, we didn't bring food for meals so either looked to options on site or elsewhere around WDW for most of our dining. We were stoked the night or two where they had the full food trucks just for other options (and granted it was a holiday week, but it seemed PACKED).

Respect to those that have a connection with TE and enjoy their offerings. But depending on just what they mean by 'marketplace' I can see it maybe being a good addition for something that would have enhanced our stay at FW.

Last edited:
The announcement to move to All Counter Service/Marketplace style means when they finally build the ugly DVC/resort thing behind Pioneer Hall, the resort-thing will have the table service junk service and Fort Wilderness will be handed the Counter/Quick Service. And still fewer people than expected will eat the Disney offering at FW.

Ed, just thinking along with you..this may have been the plan all along and why TE never fully reopened.

However, I do have hope.

First, the refurb is not long. Spring to end of year. So not a major overhaul. TE, for the most part, remains with its charm intact.

Second, they could have ruined HDDR, but didn’t. The head-honcho understood the assignment. He’s a longtime CM with a pretty impressive resume. And continues to work at FW (saw him last month).

So I’m crossing fingers HE is in charge of TE or has some kind of major influence in the decision making.

I'm disappointed that the old buffet is never coming back, but I think this will actually be better for the campground. People stay there for long stretches of time and do a lot of resort days, and the current quick service options are extremely limited.

This is disappointing news. Our last visit there was in late January 2020. It was always fun and we enjoyed the food and the casual atmosphere. I can’t say I am really surprised by the news though. 😔

I am glad I went this past December. I enjoyed my meal there. I am a Fess Parker fan, so I will be very disappointed if they remove his portrait.

The last two or three times we’d been there were pre Covid and we felt they were in decline. Disappointed though, because that it was an unknown gem. Throw in that the lack of a boat from WL to TE was probably a contributing factor to its decline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter