Tracking Cruising Restart: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn't DCL doing something like this? Or have an exec put out videos, like other lines have done, explaining where they are at, and how they plan on resuming operations, and what they expect it will look like? Their complete silence and disregard for their guests by leaving them in the dark and twisting in the wind is very frustrating.
I think of it like this. Disney does not want to be the first singer at the karaoke bar. Especially if the first singer chooses guns and roses and it turns out to be a country and western bar. Sometimes you want to get the feel of the mood left by the first guy. Then pick your song. They own ABC but that can sing Disney praises only so much if the other news outlets are singing sad, whoa is me, songs about cruise problems and new rules.
How long will it take to let the first negative statements to come out? Probably during the first week many will get their 15 minutes of fame like everyone did from the cruise ships that were stranded out at sea. After that dies down I’m sure Disney will offer their positive spin on how to offer a better cruise.
I expect to hear about lines with no social distance both on the ship and off. Missed amenities, missed opportunities, and not worthy of what they paid. Those people are out there and going to lock up some dust. Disney just going to wait until it settles a little. Just a marketing plan I suppose.

I think of it like this. Disney does not want to be the first singer at the karaoke bar. Especially if the first singer chooses guns and roses and it turns out to be a country and western bar. Sometimes you want to get the feel of the mood left by the first guy. Then pick your song. They own ABC but that can sing Disney praises only so much if the other news outlets are singing sad, whoa is me, songs about cruise problems and new rules.
How long will it take to let the first negative statements to come out? Probably during the first week many will get their 15 minutes of fame like everyone did from the cruise ships that were stranded out at sea. After that dies down I’m sure Disney will offer their positive spin on how to offer a better cruise.
I expect to hear about lines with no social distance both on the ship and off. Missed amenities, missed opportunities, and not worthy of what they paid. Those people are out there and going to lock up some dust. Disney just going to wait until it settles a little. Just a marketing plan I suppose.

The Wonder was maybe a day or two away from being another ship full of passengers out at sea with nowhere to port. DCL knows they dodged a bullet to their reputation there. They don’t want to take a lot of risks here.

That is definitely true. My gut tells me that, had we not docked a day early, the story would have ended differently.

That’s always been my feeling on it. We came really close to being another headline. That feeling is also why I am not in a hurry to be among the first passengers back on board.

The Wonder was maybe a day or two away from being another ship full of passengers out at sea with nowhere to port. DCL knows they dodged a bullet to their reputation there. They don’t want to take a lot of risks here.

That's fine, and if that is the case, come out and say so...and then cancel everything through September. But no, they prefer to keep guests in limbo for some reason.

That's fine, and if that is the case, come out and say so...and then cancel everything through September. But no, they prefer to keep guests in limbo for some reason.
I don’t agree with the approach but it’s been pretty clear all along that Disney waits to cancel even when it is very clear that a sailing won’t happen. Alaska last year, the 2020 EBPC when the Wonder was already on the east coast. I have my theories on the motivations for that strategy but that’s not important.

I posted what I did though because a lot of people seem surprised that Disney isn’t among the lines clamouring to get back out to sea. In my opinion the near miss with the Wonder is one of the reasons.

One other thought I had on 95% issue.
If you have people who need to be tested and it takes an hour-ish or something….
And the 12 and under children only testing line is shorter and well staffed with Disney characters. But the adult and family line is a little longer… I would think there would be a risk for the non-vaccinated people to miss the ship because the count could exceed 95% especially if several “forget”
Not a derogatory comment here, genuinely want to know. How could Disney word a statement where they don’t seem weak or cowardly but security conscious?
Sometimes things, especially for a few days last week, looked like it was going to be a speedy ramp-up back to normal for other companies but it seems to just coast after the announcement.
I understand what you mean though, I was hours from purchasing $1000 in non-refundable airfare for my August Fantasy cruise so the air costs didn’t soar. I had AAA quote me insurance for a couple hundred dollars the day before in case that happened.

Not a derogatory comment here, genuinely want to know. How could Disney word a statement where they don’t seem weak or cowardly but security conscious?
Sometimes things, especially for a few days last week, looked like it was going to be a speedy ramp-up back to normal for other companies but it seems to just coast after the announcement.
I understand what you mean though, I was hours from purchasing $1000 in non-refundable airfare for my August Fantasy cruise so the air costs didn’t soar. I had AAA quote me insurance for a couple hundred dollars the day before in case that happened.

They can say that, out of an abundance of caution, they will wait and monitor the rest of the industry's return to operations before resuming their own operations - if that is what they want to do. Or, if they want to re-start as soon as possible, announce the time frame you are shooting for. Come out and say, if all goes well with the test cruise, we hope to resume operations on the Dream by mid-August. Be forthcoming for once. The other cruise lines, all along, were telling their guests that they were shooting for a return to service in July.

That's only 60 days from now. No way they have decided on absoutely nothing yet at this stage.

Which is a long ways from today and lots of things will change and maybe we see additional CDC policy changes prior to the end of that timeline.

The other cruise lines, all along, were telling their guests that they were shooting for a return to service in July.

Except I think that just backs up that Disney is not in a rush. They don't need immediate cash flow or they would go under as a company. The best thing we can do is when deadlines come up where you can't get money back you then either need to decide to roll with it or just make the hard decision to cancel/reschedule.

They can say that, out of an abundance of caution, they will wait and monitor the rest of the industry's return to operations before resuming their own operations - if that is what they want to do. Or, if they want to re-start as soon as possible, announce the time frame you are shooting for. Come out and say, if all goes well with the test cruise, we hope to resume operations on the Dream by mid-August. Be forthcoming for once. The other cruise lines, all along, were telling their guests that they were shooting for a return to service in July.
Sure they can say all of the things you just wrote...but they won't because it is unnecessary. If they posted that, would it give anyone any more information to make decisions about paying in full, booking airfare, or alternate trips? Its just fluff.

They don't need to say they will "monitor the rest of the industry's return to operations". Of course they are all watching what each other is doing. They all are.

They wont say "we hope to resume by a date" because then if they don't hit that date, it looks bad. If they aren't saying it yet, IMO that means they AREN'T certain about a specific date.

We assume they want to start as soon as possible. Perhaps they do, or perhaps they intend to wait till things are simpler for them. Many on this forum think DCL can weather until Nov when the CSO expires. I don't think this is their plan because if it was, they might have told us already.

The simple fact is, we don't know. And I know you all want info, I do too. But the silence to me means they don't know what to tell you yet. So they say nothing. The only alternative is for them to tell you they have nothing to tell you. I just don't see how that helps anyone.

Until they say something, I would assume that nothing is certain.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/2-passengers-test-positive-covid-003023545.html
"A spokesperson for Celebrity explained the two positive passengers will remain in St. Maarten until they test negative, and then the cruise line will help them make travel arrangements to go home. "

ASYMPTOMATIC & vaccinated passeners, btw...

this is why many wont even bother with cruises. Why take the chance of being stuck in a foreign country - subject to their gov't quarantine measures - when you can enjoy stateside accomodations and attactions and just drive home - if, god forbid - you get COVID ...

In the endless saga that is over communicating when you don't have your story straight...this morning John Heald from Carnival posted on facebook that cruises for July and August are vaccinated cruises for people who are fully vaccinated ONLY. He said that at the moment there isn't an exemption for families because children shouldn't have to wear a mask all day.

For those following, on Monday Carnival announced 100% vaccination for cruises in Galveston, no kids allowed. On Tuesday they clarified that they meant 95% vaccination and you could fill out a form on their website for exemptions. On Wednesday, they said the exemptions were only to support a small number of children under 12. And now today, back to no children allowed.

And that is all in the span of a week.

If Disney isn't communicating with us, it's because (much like Carnival) they don't know what to do, but unlike Carnival they are smart enough to wait.

Happy Tuesday! This morning I realized it was exactly 2 weeks until the Dream's test cruise, and exactly 30 days until the Magic's first sailing in the UK!

What's the saying about a watched pot? :scratchin

I doubt we will get a trip report of the test sailing, but hopefully the next 2 weeks goes by quickly. I think we are all eager for this milestone.

In the endless saga that is over communicating when you don't have your story straight...this morning John Heald from Carnival posted on facebook that cruises for July and August are vaccinated cruises for people who are fully vaccinated ONLY. He said that at the moment there isn't an exemption for families because children shouldn't have to wear a mask all day.

For those following, on Monday Carnival announced 100% vaccination for cruises in Galveston, no kids allowed. On Tuesday they clarified that they meant 95% vaccination and you could fill out a form on their website for exemptions. On Wednesday, they said the exemptions were only to support a small number of children under 12. And now today, back to no children allowed.

And that is all in the span of a week.

If Disney isn't communicating with us, it's because (much like Carnival) they don't know what to do, but unlike Carnival they are smart enough to wait.

What't the old saying....."Better to keep quiet and be thought a fool......than to speak and remove all doubt?"

We are scheduled on the Disney Magic 11/13-11/18 out of Miami. Cruises for that ship are cancelled through 11/4. I still go back and forth in my head if it will sail or cancel. Since they moved PIF dates from 90 to 60 days, I am afraid we won't find out until at least August, if not September.

But I have booked airfare to Miami and hotel in Miami. All can be cancelled or changed.

Only time and Disney will tell.

What't the old saying....."Better to keep quiet and be thought a fool......than to speak and remove all doubt?"

We are scheduled on the Disney Magic 11/13-11/18 out of Miami. Cruises for that ship are cancelled through 11/4. I still go back and forth in my head if it will sail or cancel. Since they moved PIF dates from 90 to 60 days, I am afraid we won't find out until at least August, if not September.

But I have booked airfare to Miami and hotel in Miami. All can be cancelled or changed.

Only time and Disney will tell.
I hope that by the time we are in November, all of this will be behind us and you will sail. I'm on the Magic out of Miami slightly after you (early January).

Fingers crossed that we both sail!

For all of you saying that only fully vaccinated individuals will be able to board, think about this. Consider the odds that there were TWO breakthrough cases on a single ship with basically a randomly selected population. Possible? Maybe. Probably. Really, really doubtful.

IOW, a more likely scenario would be they were only partially vaxed OR had false documentation and no vax. Meaning it could be a potential crapshoot when saying "I'm only going to go on a fully vaxed cruise" and you're really just taking a less informed chance everyone else is safe.

For all of you saying that only fully vaccinated individuals will be able to board, think about this. Consider the odds that there were TWO breakthrough cases on a single ship with basically a randomly selected population. Possible? Maybe. Probably. Really, really doubtful.

IOW, a more likely scenario would be they were only partially vaxed OR had false documentation and no vax. Meaning it could be a potential crapshoot when saying "I'm only going to go on a fully vaxed cruise" and you're really just taking a less informed chance everyone else is safe.
Careful this comes dangerously close to violating the new rules about Covid discussions. We will likely never know exactly what happened and all our conversation is just conjecture.

The good thing is Celebrity had protocols in place to deal with the situation. Despite having two positive cases the cruise was able to continue and everyone had a great time. Hopefully Disney lets us know how their protocols will be enacted to accommodate similar situations.

It's interesting to see how the buffet has changed for lines such as RC and MSC. People that don't like their food touching may be a bit annoyed, but I like the new setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts