TR | Happy Campers (December 2017)

AH those last day before you leave run around like a chicken with your head cut off Questioning everything you did and didn't do, double and triple checking what is packed, making sure everyone else is packed and ready to roll, going out to search for one of the pups that while you had your arms full and the garage door was open it was time to go exploring Searching the house top to bottom 4 times as one of the cats decided at departure time to let us know why he is the Hide and Go Seek Champion. I can't wait just 17 days to go

Yes, Mike. That and trimming 30 little fingers and toes. Tossing them in the tub and scrubbing them like no tomorrow. Drinking coffee and desperately trying to gain that 4th wind of the day.

Oh, Lord. I'm tired. I still have so much to do. I have been up at 5 am working on this or that every day, day in and day out for like two weeks now trying to get ready for this trip. How the hell am I not done yet? Oh yes, a husband still working crazy hours and three kids to keep alive.

Side note - most of the things I have been working on are not trip related, rather just things that need to be done around the house before I can leave and feel good about going away for three weeks.

I think I can. I think I can.

AH those last day before you leave run around like a chicken with your head cut off Questioning everything you did and didn't do, double and triple checking what is packed, making sure everyone else is packed and ready to roll, going out to search for one of the pups that while you had your arms full and the garage door was open it was time to go exploring Searching the house top to bottom 4 times as one of the cats decided at departure time to let us know why he is the Hide and Go Seek Champion. I can't wait just 17 days to go

4:48 am instantly wakes and thinks, "I should line the camper fridg inside door shelves with mesh liners before we leave today."

And there ya have it folks, a new level of crazy. This I believe is my personal best level.

Ok, gotta go now. Shelves to line.

Melissa, after you get in the truck to leave you may just sleep the entire way to Disney. I sort of understand, I like to have my condo clean before we leave. I don't sweat what goes in the camper, there is Walmart and Publix a close drive away.

You can do it!!!!

Melissa, get going, Mickey doesn’t care if your shelves are lined! Seriously, safe travels, happy kids on the trip down. It looks like the Midwest is giving you great travel days. No snow or ice!! We have to wait 86 days till departure. Have a fabulous time, safe trip, and the best trip yet. Blessings.

1. Sit Down Have a cup of coffee and take a deep breath. Remember that despite all our planning and preparation that the fecal matter will forcibly encounter the rotating, oscillating, atmospheric circulating device in spite of our best efforts
  2. The CAMPER POLICE are NOT coming to inspect your rig to see if everything is up to " STANDARDS"
  3. You will NOT be graded by the Better Housekeeping magazine staff on how clean and organized your residence is during your absence
Now go forth have fun and make great memories with your family. Oh I almost forgot. Don't worry about the Kahnooder Valves on the CHIPMUNK OSCILLATOR not being timed and sounding funny

Melissa,

Hopefully you are close to being on the road. I live with someone who has the same crazy 4 am thoughts and has to walk through the house quadruple checking doors and counting cats... again..., before we leave on a trip. I'm not going to give you any advice other than 'have fun lining the shelves'. Although Ativan is a wonderful thing. It doesn't stop the thought popping into your head. It just makes you not care if you act on it. :D
We have to wait 86 days till departure.
We are also at 86 days. Are you arriving February 24th? How fun! Another DISer to meet.

j

Melissa,

Hopefully you are close to being on the road. I live with someone who has the same crazy 4 am thoughts and has to walk through the house quadruple checking doors and counting cats... again..., before we leave on a trip. I'm not going to give you any advice other than 'have fun lining the shelves'. Although Ativan is a wonderful thing. It doesn't stop the thought popping into your head. It just makes you not care if you act on it. :D

We are also at 86 days. Are you arriving February 24th? How fun! Another DISer to meet.

j
We are, but we arrive in the 25th. My bad counting! Let’s hope for great travel weather. Requested premium spots, there will be three families, one renting, two rivers driving. I hope we can meet as well. Barb

Barb,

We will definitely try to meet. It's always fun to put a face to someone you type back and forth with.

j

Well it's time to put the crazy back in the bottle and point this truck and trailer south bound!!!

10:34 pm and we're off! Later than I wanted, but that's ok. We don't check in until Sunday anyway. I just wanted to leave sometime on Thursday and take our time getting there. All the prior trips, we just did one overnight in a hotel prior to check in. With the camper we will have three nights to stop and rest. We will drive a couple hours and then stop for the night. Not much travling, but we're packed and on the road and all three kids accounted for. I call that a win in my book.

Last edited:
Melissa safe travels Congrats on what you did get done but, you didn't answer the all important question Did The Fridge Shelves get LINED? ENQUIREING MINDS WANT TO KNOW

Have a great trip down. A couple of hours still puts you in cold weather tonight. It was right at freezing around here this morning. Stay warm and get south where you don't have to worry about the furnace.

j

Ativan? Numb the obsessive thoughts? No. No. You see, I'm the type that likes to add fuel to the fire! If your going to be half crazy, then own it! That's what I say. Besides, Ativan is for those that go up and down their porch steps three times before leaving the house? Me? I only have to do that when leaving for vacation. BIG difference, Jim. Huge!

I'm not going to give you any advice other than 'have fun lining the shelves'. Although Ativan is a wonderful thing. It doesn't stop the thought popping into your head. It just makes you not care if you act on it. :D

j

Line the fridge door shelves? Well, absolutely I did. I also did 42 other meaningful things that actually did need done before the trip;) Only like 4 of those were borderline mental. Ok, ok 5.

Melissa safe travels Congrats on what you did get done but, you didn't answer the all important question Did The Fridge Shelves get LINED? ENQUIREING MINDS WANT TO KNOW

Last edited:
We got about 80 miles south of home before stopping for the night. Not far, but out of the house and that counts! We settled down for the night at a TA truck stop. It sure was nice being able to sleep in the camper verses a hotel. Kids were out like a light in 2 minutes flat. Last trip down in the hotel, I had a night stalker every couple of hours AKA the Grace. Nothing like a close up soft whisper in your ear at 4 am, "Mom, are you awake?" Lord! Like something out of a horror movie alright. Not this time, not this trip. My babies all rested well.

Come on Clark, let's go! Disney bound!

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1704.JPG

So yesterday we left central Illinois and stopped for the night in...oh yes, central Illinois.

Today however, was a big travel day! The kids travel really well and surprisingly, Charlotte did amazing! We stopped for a late lunch in Nashville, TN at Cracker Barrel. I picked up a large checkers set so we can play a few games at the site. Traveled down to Birmingham, AL and picked up a few supplies at the Walmart. I didn't want fast food or any restaurant food, so we picked up a rotisserie chicken and added a few sides. I also picked up some cheese ravioli. I was expecting decent and was surprised to find out it was delightfully scrumptious! I heated up some pasta sauce and sprinkled on some mozzarella cheese. Delicious! I found a new quick meal for home. Win! Win! Easy and delicious!

Bellies are full and after travling some 550 miles (half way) it's now time for bed. I have no shame in staying in this here Walmart parking for the night.

Tomorrow we will finish the drive and hope to be right outside Fort Wilderness sometime early evening for a good nights rest and check in on Sunday.

Last edited:
So yesterday we left central Illinois and stopped for the night in...oh yes, central Illinois.

Today however, was a big travel day! The kids travel really well and surprisingly, Charlotte did amazing! We stopped for a late lunch in Nashville, TN at Cracker Barrel. Food was decent. I picked up a large checkers set and we plan to play a few games on the picnic table during some down time. Down time which I hope happens more often than not this trip. We found our way down to Birmingham, AL and picked up a few supplies at the Walmart. I didn't want fast food or any restaurant food, so we picked up a rotisserie chicken and added a few sides. I also picked up some cheese ravioli. All that was needed was a light boil. I was expecting decent and edible and was surprised to find out it was delightfully scrumptious! I heated up some pasta sauce and sprinkled on some mozzarella cheese. Delicious! I found a new quick meal for home. Win! Win! Easy and delicious!

Bellies are full and after travling some 550 miles (half way) it's now time for bed. I have no shame in staying in this here Walmart parking for the night.

Tomorrow we will finish the drive and hope to be right outside Fort Wilderness sometime early evening for a good nights rest and check in on Sunday.

That is our new route, avoiding Atlanta. We found Alabama to be a beautiful state, and will take that route again, we believe. For sure on our way home from FW. Have another happy travel day with the kids. Enjoy, Melissa, we are following your adventure.

Today however, was a big travel day! The kids travel really well and surprisingly, Charlotte did amazing! We stopped for a late lunch in Nashville, TN at Cracker Barrel. Food was decent. I picked up a large checkers set and we plan to play a few games on the picnic table during some down time. Down time which I hope happens more often than not this trip. We found our way down to Birmingham, AL and picked up a few supplies at the Walmart. I didn't want fast food or any restaurant food, so we picked up a rotisserie chicken and added a few sides. I also picked up some cheese ravioli. All that was needed was a light boil. I was expecting decent and edible and was surprised to find out it was delightfully scrumptious! I heated up some pasta sauce and sprinkled on some mozzarella cheese. Delicious! I found a new quick meal for home. Win! Win! Easy and delicious!

Not sure how far you made it through Birmingham, but if you haven't already, you will be less than 5 minutes from us. I hope you enjoy the area. We will be tracing your path on the 15th.

Good call on skipping Atlanta, wish I could. Will update the nov thread once home. We are on the road now.

Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!