• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TR - 5369 miles later! - Coast to Coast with a little Disney Magic

OMG, loving the latest update. New Orleans is my big regret from our trips to the US, in that we haven't gone there yet. When I copy your road trip :rotfl2: in a few years we are so going there.

Funny story, DH was just asking me if i knew what a Po Boy was. I said yes they sell them at POFQ where we are staying. A lady he works with just came back from New Orleans and was raving about them. So then 2 minutes later I jump on the Dis to read your latest update and I swear I stumbled across the picture of you eating at French Market and low and behold Po Boy's were smack bang in the middle of the menu board :lmao::lmao:. We both had a chuckle when I showed him.

I love to hear that there are street musicians everywhere. That is exactly how I imagine it and can't wait to soak it all up. The images of the quaint street were divine.

And the church imagine, no words, oh wait, I do have one - AMAZING!!!!!

Fantastic update, Andona. Just love your images and picture telling of New Orleans.

Keep it coming.

Those beignets do look AMAZING!

We are staying right out the front of Louis Armstrong park. Do you think that's a good location Andona?

Wow. This TR is just keeps getting better and better! DH and I are following along and oohing and ahhing and taking it all in. DH is especially interested in New Orleans as it is his number one spot to visit on his list! He also served in the Army, so is especially interested in the museums that seem to be so good in the USA.
We have picked out some places each where we want to spend extra time and New Orleans is the number one for him! One of mine is Pigeon Forge in Tennessee!!! Can't wait to kick back in a log cabin and watch the world go by!!!

Looking forward to more!!!:)

Your trip is sounding so perfect - and now you have all if us adding New Orleans to our lists!

Loving your photos:)

LOVING your trip report - vicariously reliving the big road trip DH and I did in the early 90's through the US - we did Key West-WDW-Atlanta-Memphis-N'awlins too - totally fell in love with New Orleans and went back once since - would love to go again one day - when the kids are older maybe, as it is kind of a "grownups place" lol....
Can't wait to see your pics as you head West - and continue down memory lane...
Happy trails!

Its amazing driving along the highway surrounded by water our kids wanted to turn around and go back so they could see it again :rotfl2:
:love: your update looks like your having an amazing time :)

Great update yet again!! Fabulous photos, too!
New Orleans has always been on my list to visit, but I've never got there! But I think it will be soon!!
Thanks for letting us tag along! :thumbsup2

love, love, love this TR.

new orleans is also on my bucket list. carlo and i keep adding things to our 2014 trip so now it includes going back to nyc, hitting up chicago and new orleans and going to wdw for star wars weekends and a 7 night cruise on the fantasy.

:crowded: that's going to be one hell of a $$$ trip :crowded:

Like everyone else-loving the TR and pics. The New Orleans hotel courtyard behind the pool is just how I imagine they would look like-so beautiful. Can't wait to see one myself one day. Like most, this city has been on my bucket list for ages. Sounds like you really enjoyed exploring-and the food! Keep up our entertainment!

One word.....AMAZING! I am so glad that we have decided to stop here but so upset that we only have two full days, three nights here. How many days did you spend here?

Jess, we only had 2 nights and one and a half days. The French Quarter is so compact that if you are staying in it you can do an awful lot in a short amount of time. It would have been nice to have another day to explore a little further afield but we just didnt have the time on this trip. Maybe we'll come back some day :)

one question - we went to Memphis in 1997 on our honeymoon. arrived at 4pm on a Monday and place was dead. i reckon we were lucky to see anyone out and about in the city. it was eerie. is New Orleans like that during the day in the middle of the week, the pics make it look awfully quiet.

Coco, there were heaps of people around New Orleans and we were there midweek. It was a little quieter first thing in the morning but it did'nt feel lonely at all , I think you'd love it! We arrived in Memphis on a Sunday afternoon, and except for the cars streaming away from the Disney On Ice concert at the Fedex Forum - it was pretty dead. There were still lots of people around Beale Street at night though. :)

Funny story, DH was just asking me if i knew what a Po Boy was. I said yes they sell them at POFQ where we are staying. A lady he works with just came back from New Orleans and was raving about them. So then 2 minutes later I jump on the Dis to read your latest update and I swear I stumbled across the picture of you eating at French Market and low and behold Po Boy's were smack bang in the middle of the menu board :lmao::lmao:. We both had a chuckle when I showed him.

I love to hear that there are street musicians everywhere. That is exactly how I imagine it and can't wait to soak it all up. The images of the quaint street were divine.

And the church imagine, no words, oh wait, I do have one - AMAZING!!!!!

Thanks, Shuttergirl! We all had Poboys in the south and we loved them, especially the shrimp ones :cloud9:

We are staying right out the front of Louis Armstrong park. Do you think that's a good location Andona?

Armstrong Park was right on the back edge of the French Quarter. The Quarter is only small so it was still only a 10 minute walk down to Jackson Square. It was quieter up that end which would make it nicer to sleep at night but, to be honest, I had read this post on Tripadvisor which influenced my decision to stay a little closer to the centre of the Quarter. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...nch_Quarter_Safety-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html

However, Armstrong Park is only 2 short blocks north of Dauphine street so Im sure it would be fine.

We have picked out some places each where we want to spend extra time and New Orleans is the number one for him! One of mine is Pigeon Forge in Tennessee!!! Can't wait to kick back in a log cabin and watch the world go by!!!

Minnie, seeing the Great Smokey Mountains part of Tennessee is DEFINITELY on my To-Do list! :)

LOVING your trip report - vicariously reliving the big road trip DH and I did in the early 90's through the US - we did Key West-WDW-Atlanta-Memphis-N'awlins too - totally fell in love with New Orleans and went back once since - would love to go again one day - when the kids are older maybe, as it is kind of a "grownups place" lol....
Can't wait to see your pics as you head West - and continue down memory lane...
Happy trails!

THank you! We thought Bourbon street looked a bit too much like "Party Central" for us with our 15 year old - thats why we only walked there during the daytime. If we were a bityounger and without kids it looked like it would have been a blast , though ;)

love, love, love this TR.

new orleans is also on my bucket list. carlo and i keep adding things to our 2014 trip so now it includes going back to nyc, hitting up chicago and new orleans and going to wdw for star wars weekends and a 7 night cruise on the fantasy.

:crowded: that's going to be one hell of a $$$ trip :crowded:

LOL, Alicia , your trip is going to be 6 months long at the rate youre going!

Andona

We had an interesting drive to Houston via the Bayou Teche scenic Byway. This takes you the southern route from NewOrleans through the Acadian region, which is where the Swamp People come from! We saw some more stunning plantation mansions along the way.

Louisiana Plantation home
13158EBD-6050-4C99-AFF0-300762C607A0-5955-0000096F38304294.jpg

The drive across south Houston to the Nasa area isnt very attractive, lots and lots of oil refineries! But the area near the Nasa Johnson Space centre is quite nice, lots of restaurants, shops and hotels. WE had dinner at a Carrabas Italian Grill, a chain we hadnt tried before - had a lovely meal and will go there again. :thumbsup2

At Nasa Houston we did a short tram tour that first visits the Apollo Mission Control room, It was a thrill to see the room from which missions like Apollo 11 and Apollo 13 were controlled. From there we visited the Astronaut training facility and saw an amazing array of mockups, simulators and other equipment that the astronauts use to prepare for missions.

E0AC560A-DDB1-483B-839E-E674CC7F6A18-5955-0000096FDA26B0F9.jpg

We saw the Space Gallery, where we saw a film summarizing all the various missions. At the front of the theatre they proudly display the lectern that John F Kennedy was using when he said his "we choose to go to the moon" speech. From the theatre we walked through a museum gallery of various items including a lot of moon rocks.
Then we watched a presentation of how they live In space inside a mockup of the space station, it answered ( in great detail!) the most-asked question at NASA - " how do you go the the toilet in space??" :rotfl:

Space toilet..

C9B8D266-8D50-47CB-A0D3-927DA64A718F-5955-0000096FC11E61CF.jpg

DS then tried out the flight simulator, he was strapped inside the simulator module where he went through a video-game style mission to fly a plane and shoot down enemy aircraft. There was a camera inside the module so for the outside we could watch DS operating the controls and we could also see the whole body of the simulator twist and turn and roll I'm response to his actions. He loved it especially when he made it do a full 360 degree roll! :faint:

We enjoyed our day at Nasa Houston but to be honest, DH and I both agreed that we think the one at Cape Canaveral is better.

THat night we drove about 7 miles east to the gulf coast to the Kemah Boardwalk. It's an entertainment and restaurant complex built out over the water at the inlet to Clear Lake. There's lots of amusement rides, a hotel and several restaurants. As we walked along the boardwalk we'd noticed coin operated machines that dispensed fish food but we still got a shock when we saw the water in one area heaving and moving with hundreds of catfish all fighting to get the scraps that were being thrown into the water. I've never seen anything like it! :crazy2:

Kemah Boardwalk
907A9037-5197-4219-99BD-AA9B24EA298D-5955-0000096FFD1C8B11.jpg

Catfish!
E1D84BA6-6F47-4A8F-B1F1-CAB819A94789-5955-0000096FF70BFAFC.jpg

Next day was a fairly short drive to San Antonio, Texas. We hadlunch and then wandered down to the San Antonio Riverwalk. It is a network of walkways along the banks of the San Antonio River, one story beneath the streets of the city.in the 1920s , after a bad flood on the river, the city decided to dam the river upstream of the city and direct the stream through sewers under the city. After protests by the local conservation societies, a local architect came up with the idea for the Riverwalk. It has been a huge success and it's easy to see why. It is absolutely lovely!

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

The pretty paths meander along either side of the little river under beautiful trees. Here and there vine covered bridges span the river and along the banks are many little cafes and restaurants. At night it is lit with fairy lights. We noticed that the temperature down along the river is noticeably cooler that up on street level, it really is a wonderful oasis. In the busier season they even run little boat tours along the river. We went back there to have dinner and it was full of people having a wonderful time.

IMG_0897.jpg

During the afternoon we visited The Alamo, which was originally a mission building and was also the site of a famous battle between 180 Texans and 4000 Mexicans during the Texan Revolution (which led ultimately to Texas becoming independent of Mexico and joining the USA) The Texans, led by Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett and 2 others were slaughtered. In battles afterwards "Remember the Alamo" became a catchcry and it has been repeated in many movies and TV shows since!

B376F3E3-6BA6-40D6-810D-22FC744EE84F-6559-00000A83E31F34EB.jpg

Alamo Gardens
CCC18E0A-812C-4652-9256-0265AA412E03-6559-00000A848E50A7BD.jpg

I think that the Riverwalk really makes San Antonio unique , at least compared to any other cities we have seen in the USA. This trip keeps turning up new-and-different for us. :goodvibes

Andona

I love your reporting on New Orleans. It is somewhere both the other half and I want to go one day. We feel the littlies are still too young so we will wait. For now I will live it through you. :thumbsup2

San Antonio looks beautiful!! Your photos are lovely, too. Interesting about Houston, too - and that you thought Cape Kennedy was better!
OK - I'll be following along now from Anaheim (from Thursday!)
Enjoy the rest of your car trip!
Heather

San Antonio and the River Walk look absolutely stunning. So picturesque.

The catfish however, ewwww. That made me very uncomfortable.

Holy Catfish Batman!!!! That there is a whole lotta fish!!!!

Hubby and I are enjoying your report so much. It's the first time DH has shown even a remote interest in my DISboards ramblings so I owe you one!!!:thumbsup2

Texas sure sounds like a Dallas re run with all those oil rigs! Must have been a great sight to see though!

Can't wait for more!

omg. now i need to get a license, learn to drive and plan a roadtrip across the southern states...

this trip is absolutely incredible and i am loving reading along with your journey.

you are so right... my next trip is turning into at least 3 trips

Your pictures of San Antonio Riverwalk are amazing. That's one part of the US that is on my bucket list....sadly for me, DH has been there before and so it isn't very high on his list.

One of these days, I'm going to have to pull a Thelma and Louise on him and just go!

Thanks for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter