Top Ten reasons you know you have a Disney Obsession:

The Sequoia's are amazing. I haven't been there since I was a kid but I remember being awed by the drive through tree. My parents (teachers) were big on having "learning" vacations so we drove through all the fruit and vegetable fields so we could learn where our food comes from. (then I read The Omnivore's Dilemma this weekend...argh!) I remember the smells and the sights of all the migrant workers picking....

Jill in CO

Anytime someone starts talking Disney nonsense (which is often! It's amazing how confused the general population is about Disney theme parks!), my husband gives me 'the look' that says "Don't do it - don't correct them. It's not important. Nobody cares but you." :rotfl:

:lmao: This! But my girls are old enough that it is them I have to keep shut up.

The Sequoia's are amazing. I haven't been there since I was a kid but I remember being awed by the drive through tree. My parents (teachers) were big on having "learning" vacations so we drove through all the fruit and vegetable fields so we could learn where our food comes from. (then I read The Omnivore's Dilemma this weekend...argh!) I remember the smells and the sights of all the migrant workers picking....

Jill in CO

I was raised by a vegetarian. We had two huge gardens and canned and ate very, very fresh & local. Then I moved to a farm when Donald and I were first married and spent a whole summer picking every type of fruit imaginable (that's where I picked strawberries for 2 solid weeks 8 hours a day and realized how glad I am that isn't my permanent job) and some months working in a large kitchen preparing said fruits and veggies. And for 9 years now I've been a follower of Weight Watchers which promotes non fad, healthy eating.

Because of this background you might think I would be interested in Michael Pollan. But not so much. I try very hard to stay completely away from any political or "back to a simpler" ways of eating books. Over the years I've found my own little corner of how I eat and feed my family and I feel it's balanced. And in this crazy world it's HARD to be balanced. So I stay far away from anything I'm afraid will throw me off. And I try hard to not get into real nor internet conversations about the subject as it is a HOT topic. People get very fired up about it. I've made my choices, and I try to not proselytize, even when I hear someone say something crazy that really anyone should know is dangerous. Kind of like letting people tell me all about Siri the new ride at WDW, I also let people tell me about the new essential oil they are taking that allows you to eat only Burger King all the time with no ill effects. And I just nod and go about my day and eat my little homemade zucchini muffin and drink my water (from the TAP!!!)

Not that I'm not open to little changes. Suzy has been wanting to can our own veggies ever since she started cloth diapering with Jack-Jack. And this year she's finally talked me into starting. I've been given the canning handbook to read tonight. I'll keep you all posted as we explore this new endeavor.

:lmao: This! But my girls are old enough that it is them I have to keep shut up.

I was raised by a vegetarian. We had two huge gardens and canned and ate very, very fresh & local. Then I moved to a farm when Donald and I were first married and spent a whole summer picking every type of fruit imaginable (that's where I picked strawberries for 2 solid weeks 8 hours a day and realized how glad I am that isn't my permanent job) and some months working in a large kitchen preparing said fruits and veggies. And for 9 years now I've been a follower of Weight Watchers which promotes non fad, healthy eating.

Because of this background you might think I would be interested in Michael Pollan. But not so much. I try very hard to stay completely away from any political or "back to a simpler" ways of eating books. Over the years I've found my own little corner of how I eat and feed my family and I feel it's balanced. And in this crazy world it's HARD to be balanced. So I stay far away from anything I'm afraid will throw me off. And I try hard to not get into real nor internet conversations about the subject as it is a HOT topic. People get very fired up about it. I've made my choices, and I try to not proselytize, even when I hear someone say something crazy that really anyone should know is dangerous. Kind of like letting people tell me all about Siri the new ride at WDW, I also let people tell me about the new essential oil they are taking that allows you to eat only Burger King all the time with no ill effects. And I just nod and go about my day and eat my little homemade zucchini muffin and drink my water (from the TAP!!!)

Not that I'm not open to little changes. Suzy has been wanting to can our own veggies ever since she started cloth diapering with Jack-Jack. And this year she's finally talked me into starting. I've been given the canning handbook to read tonight. I'll keep you all posted as we explore this new endeavor.

Sounds like you have found what works for you. :) (Didn't mean to go political or make statements!):hug:

Jill in CO

I've just started learning to can in the last few months and I've had a blast doing it! I'm a member of a produce co-op and I started getting over run with produce that we couldn't eat fast enough to keep it from spoiling, so canning became my answer for that.

Sounds like you have found what works for you. :) (Didn't mean to go political or make statements!):hug:

Jill in CO

:hug: You didn't! I swear. I live in a hippy town where Berkenstocks are the rule and political food situations are constantly pushed. Obviously I'm a little too defensive on the political food thing. I just dont like to be horrified by things I can't control. Sorry if I made you feel bad. :sad2:

I've just started learning to can in the last few months and I've had a blast doing it! I'm a member of a produce co-op and I started getting over run with produce that we couldn't eat fast enough to keep it from spoiling, so canning became my answer for that.

Wow! Maybe you can help us when we get started. I have strong memories of canning as a child but, of course, I was a child. Being in charge of the canning is a lot different than snapping beans while Mom did everything important.

:hug: You didn't! I swear. I live in a hippy town where Berkenstocks are the rule and political food situations are constantly pushed. Obviously I'm a little too defensive on the political food thing. I just dont like to be horrified by things I can't control. Sorry if I made you feel bad. :sad2:

Whew! :) No worries! :hippie:

Jill in CO

Your hippie town comment made me giggle. A god part of California is that way. We went camping in Marin county a while back and we need ice and a few things so we decided to drive to the grocery store. The only one we found was a Whole Foods Market. Hippie is the most apt description I can give it!

Whew! :) No worries! :hippie:

Jill in CO

Good use of a smilie! I should have thought of that one. :)

Your hippie town comment made me giggle. A god part of California is that way. We went camping in Marin county a while back and we need ice and a few things so we decided to drive to the grocery store. The only one we found was a Whole Foods Market. Hippie is the most apt description I can give it!

I love hippie towns immensely as they always feel like home. Poor Donald is a city boy and it has taken him years and years to adapt. He finally loves it more than the city. Mostly I believe the fact that you can wear shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops and people still take you seriously is what won him over. Around these parts if you show up in a suit with an attache to try and get our business, we simply know you aren't from around here. And when you tell someone the shirt you got is from Goodwill, they think you're pretty smart and savvy.

Had I told him 18 years ago he would go to farmer's markets on Saturday mornings and junk yards more than once a month he would have laughed at me. :snooty:

I'm going to home for lunch and upload more pics. I haven't even shown you a big tree yet!!! And this afternoon & evening was one of my faves of the trip.

So, just to prove I'm not a total wimp this is a photo of the road work:
IMG_3092.jpg

Last year where the cement reinforcement is was just empty air. And a few cones were sitting there. See? Don't you think that would be scary? Cause I DID think it was scary. But this year they had cemented and stoned everything and it felt much, much safer.

And into the forest we go. Now THAT's a big tree
DSCN2797.jpg

DSCN2798.jpg

Yup, kids do enjoy looking out the window at big trees.
DSCN2799.jpg

DSCN2801.jpg

They feel cool too. Like a sponge.
IMG_0550.jpg

Oh, and they SMELL fantastic.

Ariel really tried to get a good shot of how big they are, but you can't. They are too big to grasp. So you just have to go see them, smell them, touch them, feel them. The drive through California farm land had been beautiful, peaceful, interesting, different. But a drive through Seqouia National forest is awe inspiring.

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

It makes you ponder the past and the future. Why do these trees live longer than us? I want to live to plant a seqouia and see it 2,000 years later. I want to. And if I have the desire, than why can't I? Blissful sigh.... I really like these trees and the quiet pondering I'm allowed to dwell on while walking amongst them.

The bark:
IMG_3094.jpg

We then headed to the auto log that you used to be able to drive on. Now you just can crawl all over it. A lot safer.

DSCN2803.jpg

DSCN2805.jpg

See my family?
DSCN2807.jpg

Here is a tiny little tree. Which if it were in my own area would be huge.
DSCN2808.jpg

Isn't it lovely? Pines and Seqouias mixed together to make a wonderful, wonderful forest:
DSCN2809.jpg

DSCN2812.jpg

There was only us and one other family here. They were foreign, European but not a language I know. I'm not sure. They were beautiful but there was a little girl who was tiny and driving her father a little crazy as she refused to be sat down, so if he went to take a photo of the big kids playing on the tree and sat her down, she would cry. It made me so happy to have big kids. The dad was ploughing through and letting his wife and big kids have their moment, but you could tell it was frustrating. SO, SO glad to not have a toddler. I was also glad we were here when we were as there were people, but the right amount. Not lots and mostly very polite, nice foreigners, the kind of people who pause and let you have your photo before getting theirs. It was nice.

DSCN2815.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

A different type of auto log
DSCN2816.jpg

Cool photos!

So, just to prove I'm not a total wimp this is a photo of the road work:
IMG_3092.jpg

Last year where the cement reinforcement is was just empty air. And a few cones were sitting there. See? Don't you think that would be scary? Cause I DID think it was scary. But this year they had cemented and stoned everything and it felt much, much safer.

And into the forest we go. Now THAT's a big tree
DSCN2797.jpg

DSCN2798.jpg

Yup, kids do enjoy looking out the window at big trees.
DSCN2799.jpg

DSCN2801.jpg

They feel cool too. Like a sponge.
IMG_0550.jpg

Oh, and they SMELL fantastic.

Ariel really tried to get a good shot of how big they are, but you can't. They are too big to grasp. So you just have to go see them, smell them, touch them, feel them. The drive through California farm land had been beautiful, peaceful, interesting, different. But a drive through Seqouia National forest is awe inspiring.

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

It makes you ponder the past and the future. Why do these trees live longer than us? I want to live to plant a seqouia and see it 2,000 years later. I want to. And if I have the desire, than why can't I? Blissful sigh.... I really like these trees and the quiet pondering I'm allowed to dwell on while walking amongst them.

The bark:
IMG_3094.jpg

We then headed to the auto log that you used to be able to drive on. Now you just can crawl all over it. A lot safer.

DSCN2803.jpg

DSCN2805.jpg

See my family?
DSCN2807.jpg

Here is a tiny little tree. Which if it were in my own area would be huge.
DSCN2808.jpg

Isn't it lovely? Pines and Seqouias mixed together to make a wonderful, wonderful forest:
DSCN2809.jpg

DSCN2812.jpg

There was only us and one other family here. They were foreign, European but not a language I know. I'm not sure. They were beautiful but there was a little girl who was tiny and driving her father a little crazy as she refused to be sat down, so if he went to take a photo of the big kids playing on the tree and sat her down, she would cry. It made me so happy to have big kids. The dad was ploughing through and letting his wife and big kids have their moment, but you could tell it was frustrating. SO, SO glad to not have a toddler. I was also glad we were here when we were as there were people, but the right amount. Not lots and mostly very polite, nice foreigners, the kind of people who pause and let you have your photo before getting theirs. It was nice.

DSCN2815.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

A different type of auto log
DSCN2816.jpg

I took this photo because it has a dogwood in it. Just a normal ordinary dogwood like I have behind my house. I LOVE dogwood as they are so pretty and brighten up the forest so much, only in this magical place you hardly notice them.

DSCN2817.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

A sequoia stump monster is trying to eat us!
IMG_1775.jpg

Donald and I had been discussing this day if we were going to climb Moro Rock or not. I was frightened of doing it with Boo. She's not exactly an obedient little thing when it comes to not climbing on things. But as we got closer, we both really wanted to do it. The air is thin here and we were slightly jetlagged and had not eaten properly. But we thought we might try. Donald threatened Boo and she promised to never let go of his hand. And so we headed up, perhaps ill-advised, the tiny staircase.

DSCN2828.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

DSCN2829.jpg

Once at the top, Donald dragged Boo into is lap and wrapped his arms around her. She wasn't allowed to move. Then after I had a turn exploring, I sat and held her. I'm pretty sure without this arrangement she would have been twirling around that guardrail.
DSCN2831.jpg

Because of being up so high, it's often in a cloud. So the visibility wasn't amazing. But it was still just so beautiful. Last time we were here as we reached the top lightening started hitting and we couldn't get off this mountain fast enough, so this time was better.

On the way down we spied this little guy:
DSCN2838.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

The florescent lichen was really cool:
DSCN2843.jpg

Boo won the prize, though, for finding a hidden Mickey:
DSCN2846.jpg

Piece of cake:
DSCN2844.jpg

DSCN2845.jpg

Donald and I agreed that it was the right decision to do Moro Rock. After all the driving it was nice to have a hike. I said it was 4 out of 10 on the scare factor. But after driving away, I was actually shaken. So I think it was more of a 6 or 7 out of 10. Boo is really little and it is really high. But she did obey. I guess when things are truly scary, she is capable of obeying.

It was 56 degrees at the bottom of Moro Rock, which was a lovely temperature for a hike. But I knew we'd need to tug out the coats for the following morning.

We also were hungry. Because of the time change, our eating schedule was completely off. By home time it was way after dinner and we hadn't really had lunch. And I had no food because we were going to a place that provided food. It was confusing for our bellies. But we all decided to go ahead and see the Sherman tree before heading to our lodge. It is a rule of mine to keep my family fed on vacation to avoid meltdowns. But in this case, I agreed with them. We wanted to see Sherman and not have to backtrack the next day. I will say that it was the right call in general, but we were all just slightly testier than normal. Just a smidge.

Thanks, I'll have to show your comments to Donald. I KNEW it was actually scary and not just phobia scary.

Your photos have made me realize that we need to make a trip to Yosemite. We usually visit the redwoods in the northern part of the state and Yosemite is so beautiful that it takes my breath away.

Your photos have made me realize that we need to make a trip to Yosemite. We usually visit the redwoods in the northern part of the state and Yosemite is so beautiful that it takes my breath away.

And someday I will take my family to those redwoods. I've never been there. I would love to go back and do Yosemite again (longer this time), San Fransisco, and the redwoods. But I want my girls to be old enough to all 3 stay at a hotel by themselves so Donald and I can do a few wineries by ourselves one afternoon.

And someday I will take my family to those redwoods. I've never been there. I would love to go back and do Yosemite again (longer this time), San Fransisco, and the redwoods. But I want my girls to be old enough to all 3 stay at a hotel by themselves so Donald and I can do a few wineries by ourselves one afternoon.

I live 45 miles from San Francisco in Fairfield. Home of the Jelly Belly plant, Anheiser Busch, 3 plastic plants, Ball Metal, Clorox, Travis Air Force Base and other industries. We are also in the middle of a farming valley that is ful of wineries.

I can understand wanting to wait until the girls are old enough. I toured the wineries as a kid with my parents and they are rather boring for kids. Not only that mom and dad time is nice.

Someday, when I no longer have a toddler, we'll do Yosemite. I've never been and it looks absolutely breath taking in pictures - I can't even fathom what it looks like in real life!

those trees remind me of the movie Fern Gully! I have seen Redwoods in BC Canada, they are pretty spectacular.

I love the pictures. Keep them coming.

Well lookee here! A trip report! I've only been on the Disboards sporadically in the last several months, but I'm back and looking for the writings of some of my favourite Dis-Writers!:flower3:

II've got to go back and start reading this from the beginning, but Whoa! Them's big trees!

(and didya hear? I'm going to tent camp at the Fort this fall! Ye have been an inspiration and motivation!:worship::worship:)

Sorry this has been neglected. :sad: But I have an excellent excuse. I actually have MORE than one good excuse.

The first one is that on June 29th a land hurricane hit our town and we lost electricity for TEN days! That's right. 10 days.

Here's an article written by one of my neighbors:

http://www.athensnews.com/ohio/arti...htens-neighborhood-bonds-through-se-ohio.html

The picture is of my backyard where a tree caught fire from downed power lines.

As you can imagine, going back to the 1800's threw off my computer skills a little bit. Especially since I run an AIR CONDITIONING company and it was on average 100+ degrees these 10 days. As the power came back house by house, we got a zillion calls. Which is good for our bottom line, but bad since we didn't have cell phones OR landlines for 4 days at work either. :scared:

However, it's now been a full week since my power came back on and I am officially put back together. And I've learned quite a bit about my family. First, we LOVED hanging our laundry to dry. We loved pretty much everything about it. So we bought and installed a rotary clothes line thingy and we LOVE it. Second, we really didn't miss tv. We played music more and played games more. Which considering we already do those things we did them a LOT. And we had a great time at our pool with out neighborhood. So we probably will get rid of our cable here shortly.

In addition to that very good excuse for neglecting this TR, I have another one.

Suzy, in her madness, told me a week ago Saturday night that she and Milo would be happy if Donald and I wanted to come along on their August trip. Now, that trip was only four weeks away at the time and we had no electricity and were in the middle of a conference. So I immediately told her that was crazy and there was no way. But you know how something just gets in your head and then you can't get rid of it?

So I priced it and configured it. And I asked Donald. And we discussed. And we plotted. And we BOOKED! :goodvibes Do you know why? Because we are insane. I know you all already know that. But I'm willing to admit it. I need a 12 step program.

It's now 3 weeks away. And a surprise to all of the kids except Charming. Am I stressed out? Slightly. But I'm trying to pretend I'm not.

Anyhow, that is why you've all been neglected. But, I should have it together now. And I'll get back on track, though it will be slightly off since I'm going on ANOTHER week long trip in the same summer. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

I live 45 miles from San Francisco in Fairfield. Home of the Jelly Belly plant, Anheiser Busch, 3 plastic plants, Ball Metal, Clorox, Travis Air Force Base and other industries. We are also in the middle of a farming valley that is ful of wineries.

I can understand wanting to wait until the girls are old enough. I toured the wineries as a kid with my parents and they are rather boring for kids. Not only that mom and dad time is nice.

Yeah, it's just not fun for them and that makes it not fun for us.

Someday, when I no longer have a toddler, we'll do Yosemite. I've never been and it looks absolutely breath taking in pictures - I can't even fathom what it looks like in real life!

Trust me, pictures do nothing. The beauty is overwhelming and surrounds you like a giant hug! And night and day. There is never a time of day it's not gorgeous. Even at 3 am as you walk to the potty from your tent, the stars are intense. There are zillions and zillions of them.

those trees remind me of the movie Fern Gully! I have seen Redwoods in BC Canada, they are pretty spectacular.

I love the pictures. Keep them coming.

I'll write another chapter tonight! I swear!

Well lookee here! A trip report! I've only been on the Disboards sporadically in the last several months, but I'm back and looking for the writings of some of my favourite Dis-Writers!:flower3:

II've got to go back and start reading this from the beginning, but Whoa! Them's big trees!

(and didya hear? I'm going to tent camp at the Fort this fall! Ye have been an inspiration and motivation!:worship::worship:)

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Tent camping at the FORT???!!!! Woohoo!!!!! That is amazing. You are gonna have such a great time. You have to tell us all the details. Donald and I have gotten even better at the tent camping since our Fort trip so any questions ask away. We 'sperienced now. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter