Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower at Contemporary Resort - *2 New Parties Added! “Enchantment at the Top” & New “Bound to Be Bad” Dates Added

I have a feeling it will. I think we are going to see more and more of those pop up…if they sell food and drink, it will for sure help offset the cost DVD is paying…and having special paid events here and there could make it something that isn’t costing DVD an arm and a leg to offer them as perks.
I agree. And if so (not to sidetrack) but I think the manner in which they now restrict access to ToTWL is another indicator that the Poly Tower will be a new association and access to the lounge (assuming it exists) is another selling point for buying directly from DVD.

It feels like these moves are not unrelated. But hey, what do I know? :)

I agree. And if so (not to sidetrack) but I think the manner in which they now restrict access to ToTWL is another indicator that the Poly Tower will be a new association and access to the lounge (assuming it exists) is another selling point for buying directly from DVD.

It feels like these moves are not unrelated. But hey, what do I know? :)

I think the exact same thing!

I specifically bought direct to use the points at new DVC resorts primarily, but also because I love all the perks, even the silly ones like the sparkly wrist band at Aulani. I think the TOTW restrictions are just the tip of the iceberg, and we’ll see more and more of them as time progresses. Individually, it’s not like any of them are resale killers, but in totality I think they do mean something, and will make buying direct more attractive.

If Poly has a tower, we think it would be for use of blue card members, not just Poly owners, correct?
If the planned Poly Tower has a similar type of lounge, it is possible that it would be restricted to "blue-card" members as is ToTWL now. There are a lot of suppositions there, but it would seem logical.

Somewhat off topic, but I'm bummed there isn't a planned Top of the Land lounge planned for Disneyland Tower DVC though really for it to have a great view they should have built up an additional like 2-3 floors. Back somewhat on topic, that would great if there's a new lounge @ Poly and yes another opportunity for membership extras. They really could have all of the lounges for all members and just offer an extra couple of hours for blue card bennies.

And they have the ability to do that..but I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be a hefty fee as the whole purpose is to differentiate between the two,

But, I could see them doing something like $200/yr gets you access to TOWTL…or, offer owners staying at BLT who are not eligible to pay a cover charge to visit
That would be great! That's my gripe in a nutshell. Access and choice. I'm happy to pay just not many thousands of dollars above resale values. I don't ever see resort booking restrictions mattering much as long as the rental industry still exists. I can rent any resort 11 months out and reimburse myself by renting my own points. Maybe you lose a few bucks in the exchange and spend some time, but you can book any resort 11 months out.

I don't hold it against Disney for extracting every dollar they can, that's literally their purpose as a publicly traded for profit corporation. I'm new here, but from what I've been hearing totwl was almost never full. Why in the world would you ever want to restrict access to an overpriced cash bar?! I'm sure Mickey's MBA henchmen have their reasons that elude me.

Ironically, if you buy their stock directly from them it comes with restrictions but if you buy it as a resale in the open market there are no restrictions! But that's neither here nor there.

I guess I am just trying to understand. It’s the Blue card, not Blue card AND owning at BLT that allows admission to TOTW in its new format.

Correct. This is for any owner who is eligible for membership extras. It has nothing to do with being a BLT owner.

You don’t even need to be staying at BLT. They see also now allowing you to drive and park there as well.

That would be great! That's my gripe in a nutshell. Access and choice. I'm happy to pay just not many thousands of dollars above resale values. I don't ever see resort booking restrictions mattering much as long as the rental industry still exists. I can rent any resort 11 months out and reimburse myself by renting my own points. Maybe you lose a few bucks in the exchange and spend some time, but you can book any resort 11 months out.

I don't hold it against Disney for extracting every dollar they can, that's literally their purpose as a publicly traded for profit corporation. I'm new here, but from what I've been hearing totwl was almost never full. Why in the world would you ever want to restrict access to an overpriced cash bar?! I'm sure Mickey's MBA henchmen have their reasons that elude me.

Ironically, if you buy their stock directly from them it comes with restrictions but if you buy it as a resale in the open market there are no restrictions! But that's neither here nor there.

I was there several time the past few years..before closure..and the lounge was packed. Couldn’t get seats. So it all depended on the night.

The difference back then though is that it was being operated by Disney and they took on all profit and loss. Now, DVD is using it which means they absorb the cost as a way to enhance DVC.

So the revenue needed will be different. And with DVD running the show now, more special events will happen that will increase profit too.

But, the pay for perks is something they could end up doing. I think it’s coming for those with DVC Y. Free perks will be there but the better ones will cost.

Maybe they will eventually allow resale for some of the free ones given to current owners eligible. I do think that any cost will be more than most will pay.

I specifically bought direct to use the points at new DVC resorts primarily, but also because I love all the perks, even the silly ones like the sparkly wrist band at Aulani. I think the TOTW restrictions are just the tip of the iceberg, and we’ll see more and more of them as time progresses. Individually, it’s not like any of them are resale killers, but in totality I think they do mean something, and will make buying direct more attractive.
I agree and for similar reasons - I say bring on more of the blue card only perks - and the sooner the better!!

And earlier in this thread someone mentioned buying direct (at least 150 points) at Riviera instead to obtain perks and I thought it was a decent argument. But the more I think about it... You can get Riviera in resale for even far less, like $130-135, so you're paying an extra $70 per point for what exactly? In my 270 point BLT example, there'd also be an extra $350 in dues at Riv per year vs BLT . So for about $19k more for the contract and $13k more in dues for the life of the contract, we're right back to my original point. It's essentially tens of thousands of dollars more to obtain the perks, which makes no economic sense unless you have a ton of $ and can't be bothered with the headaches of resale.
And then you may argue that if you buy Riv on resale you're restricted to staying at Riv only, which actually furthers my point and explains why resale value at Riv is so cheap which sucks if you buy Riv direct and want or need to sell for whatever reason! These stupid policies hurt everyone in the long run in my opinion. Aside from VGF where the discrepancy between resale and direct is small enough to possibly justify the premium for perks the math just doesn't make sense. If they're going to make this distinction between direct and resale then make the premium worth it, it's just objectively not right now with the sole exception of VGF IMO.
It’s really not worth commenting further on the specifics of your situation. Clearly you made a decision you’re comfortable with.

Thousands of people choose to buy direct. Thousands of people choose to buy resale. Thousands of people buy direct and then later add a resale contract. Thousands of people buy resale and then later add a direct contract. They all have their own motivations and priorities.

The certainty is that DVC wishes to continue selling direct points for as high as price as the market will tolerate. And they’ll use all of the tools at their disposal to do that. If the member perks and other benefits hold any value, you can always add-on direct later. If not, enjoy your savings and be well.

It'll be interesting to see if the new Poly Tower has a similar lounge planned, with similar restrictions. Given how quickly these special events for ToTWL sold out, I would bet that there is interest for it.
Also to be fair there is demand for newness, social media, blogs and it coming back. I heard that the majority of the time it was average participation. At this point the smartest idea I believe is a dual restaurant or maybe a quick service of sorts mixed with evening bar. Makes a lot more people happy and then you can split it off for private at night maybe.

All perks are a sales incentives.

I understand the reasoning behind annual pass suspensions, and it may be out of DVC's control. However, they were still perks and major ones.

DVC doesn't currently have much to offer. That's why we are seeing a reimagining at Top of the World. It would not surprise me to see something exclusive at Poly tower too as that's going to have one heck of view.

After two years of stagnation, we finally have movement. Moonlight Magic is back. Poly tower was announced. Now, we are getting a Top of the World refresh. The Grand Floridian Villa resort studios just opened and are beautiful and for once on par with the upcoming refurbishment of the hotel side. If you haven't seen the opening video, they even had a little ceremony to open the expansion with characters (gasp). Now, there's rumors of a paid premium membership.

I feel like something has definitely changed as of late at DVC and hope it continues.
Not all of that means it's good change. Most likely this means a lot of owners are about to be slighted and long term members will be pushed into the past farther. I sure hope they care as much about the work they do as what made DVC so nice before.

Well if they convinced you, they probably can convince a few more, if they move the needle back their way ... Good for them. Resale hurt them somewhat and it is proof they should have embraced it but not maybe they have a plan to fight back.

My thought after sitting here and settling down is now at... Disney will get away with this switch but why would they do BLT owners like this regardless of their card status??? The fact they wouldn't even let BLT owners still go or maybe even BLT guest go? Due to it's history, lack of exciting options at the resort (public grounds) and the aspect it adds uniqueness to the resort it seems they would have mercy on us simpletons that bought resale there.

I heard that the majority of the time it was average participation.
That’s not particularly true. The lounge often drew decent crowds for fireworks. The concern primarily revolved around low sales. According to second-hand reports from bartenders and wait staff, the lounge would often fill a short time before fireworks. But it wasn’t filled with people who were heavily invested in the drinks and snacks. Since the lounge was a profit-seeking food and beverage outlet, the fear was that the lounge wasn’t producing enough sales to justify its continued existence.

However, now that it is (presumably) being funded as a DVC marketing effort, P&L is far less relevant. DVC earns zero revenue on the EPCOT lounge. All of the overhead—rent, staffing, free snacks & beverages—is covered by DVC. The same is now true of TOTWL, though the new theming and likelihood of special events could stand to make it more financially sound than it was pre-covid.

The few extra dollars they stand to lose via lost cocktail sales are less important than being able to hold up the lounge as another exclusive space when selling DVC points.

My thought after sitting here and settling down is now at... Disney will get away with this switch but why would they do BLT owners like this regardless of their card status??? The fact they wouldn't even let BLT owners still go or maybe even BLT guest go? Due to it's history, lack of exciting options at the resort (public grounds) and the aspect it adds uniqueness to the resort it seems they would have mercy on us simpletons that bought resale there.
Not understanding what Disney is "getting away with" here ... but based on your view of BLT (I couldn't agree more btw), sounds like you should be looking elsewhere.

That’s not particularly true. The lounge often drew decent crowds for fireworks. The concern primarily revolved around low sales. According to second-hand reports from bartenders and wait staff, the lounge would often fill a short time before fireworks. But it wasn’t filled with people who were heavily invested in the drinks and snacks. Since the lounge was a profit-seeking food and beverage outlet, the fear was that the lounge wasn’t producing enough sales to justify its continued existence.

However, now that it is (presumably) being funded as a DVC marketing effort, P&L is far less relevant. DVC earns zero revenue on the EPCOT lounge. All of the overhead—rent, staffing, free snacks & beverages—is covered by DVC. The same is now true of TOTWL, though the new theming and likelihood of special events could stand to make it more financially sound than it was pre-covid.

The few extra dollars they stand to lose via lost cocktail sales are less important than being able to hold up the lounge as another exclusive space when selling DVC points.
Good point on the business aspect. I agree with that totally but average participation is what I meant by that. People show up and leave and don't participate or seek out the drinks and such. In the end the loss sales they could get from non direct customers maybe does not matter to them if this is pure marketing scheme as we are believing now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter