To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

Honestly, this may sound like common sense, but if you are polite and pleasant, we can do so much for you. Of course this works the opposite way as well.... :goodvibes

Thanks for this reminder! When DH and I went for my 30th bday (8 years ago today) he struck up a pleasant conversation with a CM who offered to take our picture. As we were chatting we asked about a good place to watch Illuminations and boom - the CM radio'd someone and we were given seats right on a balcony at some restaurant in front of the lake! It was such a cool way to end our time at Epcot and totally unexpected. He was such a nice guy and my husband always says "I don't meet strangers just unmet friends". Anyway I just thought I would share that story :)

Dawn

:lmao: Sounds like my DH. Whenever we go on a trip I try to plan a budget and be frugal because my DH is always complaining about the money. Once we get to our destination, he's usually the one that is more willing to spend money. :confused3 :rolleyes::rotfl:

OMG! Are we married to the same man? LOL Last trip my DD wanted pink minnie crocs, and I wouldnt buy them, the second morning we're there, DH goes down to get coffee, and what does he return with? Yup, pink minnie crocs! LOL

I was really disappointed that I couldn't get an early dinner reservation for Chef Mickey's for our March trip. One day it came to me that final payment is due 45 days prior to arrival (if booking thru Dis). So, I counted back 45 days from my desired reservation date and called on that day in the afternoon. The magic happened and I got a 5:00pm ressie. The cast member and I were both shocked and surprised. The thinking behind this is some may need to reschedule or cancel plans before final payment is made.

Set your budget
. . . then, double it
. . . then divide by three
. . . then, multiply by six
. . . then add three
. . . then throw away the budget

:lmao::lmao: I love this!! My DH and I were talking about the WDW we are planning for May 2010. When he saw the cost of the trip, he started complaining that I wasn't on a budget. I insisted that I was on a budget, I was on TheRustyScupper budget. Then I showed him your post. He just laughed and said "well as long as your on some kind of budget."

unless you are like our family. we are water snobs and can't stand tap water:snooty:. since my wife got me on bottled spring water, tap water or fountain drinks taste aweful to me.

We're the same way and bring bottled water, but I also bring a sport bottle with a filtering system. DS's pre-school sold them as a fundraiser in conjunction with the local university. It's bigger than your average water bottle (24oz, I believe) but still easy to carry around. Always handy in a pinch! Those little drink mixes also do a lot for tap water.

I just have one very silly question about a post I've seen here 3 or 4 times and was never fully explained - hope you can help. My silly question is: WHAT THE HECK IS A BUDGET?????:lmao:
:rotfl2:

Thanks for this reminder! When DH and I went for my 30th bday (8 years ago today) he struck up a pleasant conversation with a CM who offered to take our picture. As we were chatting we asked about a good place to watch Illuminations and boom - the CM radio'd someone and we were given seats right on a balcony at some restaurant in front of the lake! It was such a cool way to end our time at Epcot and totally unexpected. He was such a nice guy and my husband always says "I don't meet strangers just unmet friends". Anyway I just thought I would share that story :)

Dawn

:bday:

OMG! Are we married to the same man? LOL Last trip my DD wanted pink minnie crocs, and I wouldnt buy them, the second morning we're there, DH goes down to get coffee, and what does he return with? Yup, pink minnie crocs! LOL

Usually with my DH is he's willing to spend it on food! He has to keep that belly happy. :rotfl:

:lmao::lmao: I love this!! My DH and I were talking about the WDW we are planning for May 2010. When he saw the cost of the trip, he started complaining that I wasn't on a budget. I insisted that I was on a budget, I was on TheRustyScupper budget. Then I showed him your post. He just laughed and said "well as long as your on some kind of budget."

:lmao:

Not a CM, but a couple of tips, some of which were already covered:

1) Don't be cattle (MOOOO!) - this is a broader tip than watch for the short line at the CS restaurant (though that's part of it). It means don't just follow the people in front of you. A lot of times, there are other line options besides the closest one. A good example of this is at the ticket booth's in the AM. Often, they will open up extra lanes right before the park opens, if you keep your eyes peeled, you can skip over to these right when the CM show up.

2) In most theatre shows, don't be in a hurry to get into the theatres, especially on crowded days. When you enter, you are supposed to move all the way to the end of your row. If you wait and let some people through first, you can get a more central seat.

3) Know where the typical character meet-n-greet locations are, and then as you are walking around, watch for "handlers" in those spots with no characters. If you see one, go up and chat and see if the characters are coming out soon...it's a good way to catch a character with little wait.

4) Be kind to CM - The people that work at Disney (for the most part) don't do it just for money. They, like many of us, love being able to spread the magic. But about 80 % of their job is dealing with people yelling or complaining. Be part of the 20 %, let them know you appreciate the work they do. Chat about what you like about the park, how their day is going. Thank them at the end of the conversation. Most of the time, you won't get anything but a nice feeling, but what's wrong with that?

5) When you do have a complaint, don't be loud or agressive...be calm even when you are annoyed. There is nothing wrong with being persistant if a problem isn't being resolved satisfactorly, but there's no need to be an a$$. Disney prides itself on customer service, and while you might not get exactly what you want, they will do their best to help you out.

SkierPete

I'm wondering about the sharing of table services. We are going with a group of 10. Some of those 10 are visiting friends for a few days so there will certainly be TS's left over. I didn't think that you can share them. Are the really strict about this at the restaurants? Obviously CS's are alot easier to share.

I didn't see this mentioned yet... but I did notice a lot of people mention buying water....

WATER IS FREE!!

I don't consider myself a water snob, really. I have a water bottle that I fill out of the drinking fountain at work all the time. I've always drunk tap water.

That being said, I can't stand the taste of the water at Disney...can't stand the smell of it either, for that matter! Even adding the flavorings to it doesn't work for me....

Here's my best tip. If you have some sort of problem and you need us to help you, just be honest. Don't come up to me and make up some big long story about how your plane is leaving in an hour and you need a fastpass for right now even though we don't have any left. Just tell me what's going on and I will do my best to help you. I can't promise that you will always get exactly what you want, but I can promise that we are people too, and we understand that sometimes things happen beyond your control, and you need help.

So true. We got to HS late once for EMH because we got there late from SOG. There were plenty of buses at the bus stop but no drivers so we had to walk to Poly and catch the bus there. (only time this happened)
So RNR was down and that means everyone went to ToT. When we finally arrived I saw the posted line time at ToT was longer than we wanted. I went up and asked the CM if the wait time was correct and she said yes. She then asked me how my day was so far. I told her not good and explained why. She then asked my how many in my party and I told her and she gave us front of the line passes. I was not expecting this. After we got off I found the CM and thanked her again!
Now if I had gone up to the CM in a foul mood and complained about the wait time I am sure I would not have been offered the passes.

...2) In most theatre shows, don't be in a hurry to get into the theatres, especially on crowded days. When you enter, you are supposed to move all the way to the end of your row. If you wait and let some people through first, you can get a more central seat....
:thumbsup2

When DH and I went last year for our honeymoon, two girls came up to us and gave us their dream fastpasses in DHS as we walked through the gates!!

Well, we can't ride a lot of those rides (although DH did partake in riding Star Tours 4 times that day!), I get motion sickness - but it was such a nice gesture!! They saw our "Just Married" buttons!

Well, when we were leaving we still had a good amount left (including ToT and RnRC) so we found a couple that had Anniversary buttons and we gave them away - they were so happy!! I just LOVE spreading that Disney magic - and karma goes a loonnnnng way!! :thumbsup2

I don't consider myself a water snob, really. I have a water bottle that I fill out of the drinking fountain at work all the time. I've always drunk tap water.

That being said, I can't stand the taste of the water at Disney...can't stand the smell of it either, for that matter! Even adding the flavorings to it doesn't work for me....

You can get filtered water for free at any place that has fountain drinks. Second, if you want bottled water, order it from Costco for $7 for 24 bottles including shipping. Have them ship it to your resort.

I like the new quick order machines at Pecos !!! People were standing in line like sheep, and there wasn't one person using the machines !!! I was in and out of the booth, and had my food before two people even ordered at the regular line.

Ooh! I love this. I'll have to try it next time. DH and I are all about the self-service checkout at stores. This seems right up our alley. Can you pay with your KTTK card or dining plan at the quick order machine? Anyone have a pic?

Ooh! I love this. I'll have to try it next time. DH and I are all about the self-service checkout at stores. This seems right up our alley. Can you pay with your KTTK card or dining plan at the quick order machine? Anyone have a pic?

Yes you can pay with your KTTW card and/or use it with the dining plan.

I'm not a CM but I do have a tip.

when ordering CS meals, take a look at your receipt before walking away. In January, we got overcharged $1 for a grilled chicken sandwich and $0.20 for our soda at the Electric Umbrella. I showed the receipt to the cashier, who brought it to a manager, who refunded me the entire price of the sandwich. I told him I was happy with just my $1 back, but he insisted.

Another tip from a Resort CM:

A request is merely a request. It does not guarantee that you will get what you are asking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter