To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

Thanks for this reminder! When DH and I went for my 30th bday (8 years ago today) he struck up a pleasant conversation with a CM who offered to take our picture. As we were chatting we asked about a good place to watch Illuminations and boom - the CM radio'd someone and we were given seats right on a balcony at some restaurant in front of the lake! It was such a cool way to end our time at Epcot and totally unexpected. He was such a nice guy and my husband always says "I don't meet strangers just unmet friends". Anyway I just thought I would share that story :)

Dawn

We had a similar experience. We were chatting up a Photopass CM at the entrance to Epcot and he was commenting on our anniversary buttons. We mentioned that it was our 1 year anniversary and that we had been married in WDW the year before. He asked us to follow him and we were like :confused3 He took us over to the side where there was a big grouping of beautiful flowers and gave us a private 15-20 minute photo session. He even timed things perfectly so we could have the monorail in the background of some of our pictures. It was great and all because we were nice to someone :)

Slow down!!! I lose count of how many times a day I get yelled at because lines are too long or cm's are too slow and the guest is trying to see and do everything! I am convinced that the only way to see and do everything is if you have the park to yourself:lmao:

I find that the guests who are running around and stressing about doing everything enjoy their trip much less than those who are relaxed and just go with the flow.

Slow down!!! I lose count of how many times a day I get yelled at because lines are too long or cm's are too slow and the guest is trying to see and do everything! I am convinced that the only way to see and do everything is if you have the park to yourself:lmao:

I find that the guests who are running around and stressing about doing everything enjoy their trip much less than those who are relaxed and just go with the flow.
:thumbsup2

No doubt about it. If you rush from one ride to the next, you miss the beauty of the park - and the beauty of the moment. Instead of rushing to the next thing, live in the moment...

No doubt about it. If you rush from one ride to the next, you miss the beauty of the park - and the beauty of the moment. Instead of rushing to the next thing, live in the moment...

I agree! It's sad to see the families who are panicking while they are in the parks. Walking fast like commandos and shoving because they are afraid they will miss something. I wish I could say something that would make them calm down and enjoy things but of course that isn't possible.

I need to constantly remind myself of this. I know I make our mornings go, go, go, but we could certainly stand to have our afternoons more "live in the moment".

I agree! It's sad to see the families who are panicking while they are in the parks. Walking fast like commandos and shoving because they are afraid they will miss something. I wish I could say something that would make them calm down and enjoy things but of course that isn't possible.

Of course, these folks are on the first part of their trip. Later on speed walking is just not possible anymore. :rotfl2:

The only time that I find crazy like this is at RD. At DHS, I was one of the speed walkers just behind the CM. But at MK, I just about got run over by people running to Space Mountain. I don't get that because we did fantasy land first and still rode Space Mountain 4 times that day all with FPs.

Another tip from a Resort CM:

A request is merely a request. It does not guarantee that you will get what you are asking for.

I so agree with this. I have had people standing in front of me at check in insisting that they get what they requested, the last time the people were extremely rude, even DD noticed. When DD and I got up there we told the CM she had the patience of a saint. We started chatting about the weather and such, CM looked at DD and asked her where she liked staying. DD smiled and said close to the pool. Needless to say we got a great view of the pool :thumbsup2

When DH and I went last year for our honeymoon, two girls came up to us and gave us their dream fastpasses in DHS as we walked through the gates!!

Well, we can't ride a lot of those rides (although DH did partake in riding Star Tours 4 times that day!), I get motion sickness - but it was such a nice gesture!! They saw our "Just Married" buttons!

Well, when we were leaving we still had a good amount left (including ToT and RnRC) so we found a couple that had Anniversary buttons and we gave them away - they were so happy!! I just LOVE spreading that Disney magic - and karma goes a loonnnnng way!! :thumbsup2

OMG!!! :scared1::laughing::woohoo: That was me!! That is so cool! Based on your avatar pic I gave you the dream fast passes. Oct 2008 right? I'm sorry you couldn't use too many of them but I'm glad you remember the gesture!

Actually, a tip about Cast Members:

One of the things our family does is carry some note cards with us to write down the names of CMs who go above and beyond, and "shine" at what they're doing. We put down their name, where they were working, and brief description of what was exemplary. We then make a stop at guest relations, on the way out of the park or resort, ask to see a manager, and "turn them in." It never fails to delight Guest Services, and it's good training for my kids in noticing what there is around them to be grateful for.

I appreciate all the tips, but I love the CM tips! Great to hear it from the front lines! Good thread, OP.

OMG!!! That was me!! That is so cool! Based on your avatar pic I gave you the dream fast passes. Oct 2008 right? I'm sorry you couldn't use too many of them but I'm glad you remember the gesture!

WOW! How cool is this?!?!?1 :goodvibes

Actually, a tip about Cast Members:

One of the things our family does is use put carry some note cards with us to write down the names of CMs who go above and beyond, and "shine" at what they're doing. We put down their name, where they were working, and brief description of what was exemplary. We then make a stop at guest relations, on the way out of the park or resort, ask to see a manager, and "turn them in." It never fails to delight Guest Services, and it's good training for my kids in noticing what there is around them to be grateful for.

I did this in my trip journal. I didn't think to do it on the spot while I was there.

I'm going to write up a short & sweet letter and email it in. I think it is wdw.guestservices@disney.com?

OMG! Are we married to the same man? LOL Last trip my DD wanted pink minnie crocs, and I wouldnt buy them, the second morning we're there, DH goes down to get coffee, and what does he return with? Yup, pink minnie crocs! LOL
This is so my DH. :rotfl2:

I've seen many people come back from Disney disappointed because it was so expensive. At some point someone [guys] realizes they are spending more than expected, and quit having a good time and start obsessing about money. They get in such a tizzy that nobody can have a good time.

Soooo, last year some friends were going on a first trip with 2 young princesses. They were staying off-property and would not be on the dining plan. I suggested that they go online and look at the menus and food prices before they left home.

I said, "Make peace with the money before you go."

I also told them that they wouldn't see it all, but to relax and remember that the rest of it will be there when they come back.

They came back and thanked me, went again this year, and are going back in the Fall.

I have to agree with the folks stating to take your time...I have been a passholder since 92 (FL Resident since birth)and go at least once a month, usually more. My family wonders why I am not sick of the parks and all I can say is everytime I go I see something new or do something different...I am lucky enough that I can go for a few hours and not feel bad but if you just take your time and not be so commando it will all come to you and you will enjoy it much more!
Also there is sooo much to do other than the parks on property...Make sure you visit all the resorts at Christmas time it really get's you in the spirit!!! The putt putt is a blast...they have "sleigh rides" at WL for not alot of $$...they have marshmallow roasts as well...you can go to "legoland" in DTD and have a blast making your own creations!!! Lot's of photo opps too!
Enjoy life!
Micky

i have to second the tip that someone mentioned earlier about paying attention if you are a single rider - on my last trip i went with my grandma and my mom (i was still in hs at the time). they were not interested at all in rides like space mountain, ToT, RnR, M:S etc, so I was often on lines by myself for major rides and more often than not I would get asked to fill in uneven parties ahead of me (say a party of 3 or 5). pay attention to the CMs!!!

i think that if you ask at any CS, they will give you a cup of ice water for free. does anyone know if the snack carts do this as well? it's so important to stay hydrated in the heat when you spend so much energy walking around.

OMG!!! :scared1::laughing::woohoo: That was me!! That is so cool! Based on your avatar pic I gave you the dream fast passes. Oct 2008 right? I'm sorry you couldn't use too many of them but I'm glad you remember the gesture!

OMG!!! That is SO crazy!!!!! Thank you soooo much!!! :worship:

My DH and I took a picture of the dream fastpasses because it meant a LOT to us!! We have it in our scrapbook of our honeymoon!! You really did make our day better, it was great because he could ride rides right away that I can't do - inner ear problems suck, but we got some good use out of them!

Also, the couple that we gave them to afterward was just as grateful - you and your friend were SOOO NICE to have passed those on!! It really is one of our best memories - people being genuinely kind and thoughtful and nice!

Thank you thank you thank you!! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter