To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

cab0ad

disney lover
I was wondering if any CM's had some really good advice for visitors? Anything about attractions, dining, parade viewing, parking, ANYTHING?? Love to hear a CM's view of a "good tip":cool1:

I'm a former CM, does that count? If so, the only tip I have for people is to not go expecting a perfect trip, because if your expectations are too high you're not going to have fun. Disney has it tough. They put themselves in a situation where 200% perfect service is expected and not everything can go right. I have seen many guests breakdown for things as simple as a food stand running out of ketchup or the lines being shut down for characters.

Wait, I have another tip. If you're buying ice cream of some sort at a multiple line stand (such as Ahola to get Dole Whips), step back for a second and watch the different people get served. Go in the line where the CM is serving the ice cream that is the biggest.

I'm a former CM, does that count? If so, the only tip I have for people is to not go expecting a perfect trip, because if your expectations are too high you're not going to have fun. Disney has it tough. They put themselves in a situation where 200% perfect service is expected and not everything can go right. I have seen many guests breakdown for things as simple as a food stand running out of ketchup or the lines being shut down for characters.

Wait, I have another tip. If you're buying ice cream of some sort at a multiple line stand (such as Ahola to get Dole Whips), step back for a second and watch the different people get served. Go in the line where the CM is serving the ice cream that is the biggest.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE your ice cream line tip!!!

Best tip I have ever heard. That is awesome.

I know the world isn't perfect and I don't expect it to be.;)Even Disney can't be "perfect".

That being said, I LOVE the ice cream tip! Never would have thought of it!

there are many CM's on these boards, not all of them want it to be known.
Not trying to sniff out any top secret info or blowing identities here...Just getting a different perspective!:flower3: I've always thought the best way to get an "honest" view of something is from the source. People who see Disney everyday may have a different view completely from what we see. Hence the ice cream tip....Never would have thought of that one!:worship:

If an attraction has multiple lines, always get in the one on the left.

If you need to know about something that's happening unexpectedly (like a ride broke down and you're wondering if it's open again yet), ask a custodian. (Or a manager--the people in suits and nametags.) Both groups have radios.

Let yourselves and *especially* your kids relax and smell the roses. Seriously. Don't be commando.

Never assume a line is "too long" until you ask the greeter CM or look at the ride board. Many rides/shows hold a bajillion people at once. I used to have a lot of people walk away from my attraction because the line was "too long" even though I knew it was only 15 minutes. (Which reminds me--the estimate the CM will give you is almost always high.)

Break your shoes in thoroughly and carry Band-Aids.

Best way to get a thrill out of Splash Mountain is to look straight out in front of you (not down) as you start to go down the flume.

good question and LOL @ the icecream tip..never would have thought of that either!!:thumbsup2

Not a CM, but have been to WDW a lot. Please use both sides of the register at CS places. The cashier will turn to the left, then the right to take orders. Why stand in a longer line if you don't have to?

Also, when they say use all available space, they mean it. Like outside of HM pass the turnstiles. Not sure why people always assume that all attracations have to be single file lines...

I also think this is probably one of the best tips I've come across so far! :worship:

Not a CM, but have been to WDW a lot. Please use both sides of the register at CS places. The cashier will turn to the left, then the right to take orders. Why stand in a longer line if you don't have to?

Also, when they say use all available space, they mean it. Like outside of HM pass the turnstiles. Not sure why people always assume that all attracations have to be single file lines...

AMEN! Seriously, I'm so tired of people looking at me (or even complaining about me) skipping! All I'm doing is standing NEXT to you filling in the extra space.... we are all going the same place and I promise when we get into the stretching room, I'm not going to be next to you - I'll be standing by my red light hahaha

If an attraction has multiple lines, always get in the one on the left.

If you need to know about something that's happening unexpectedly (like a ride broke down and you're wondering if it's open again yet), ask a custodian. (Or a manager--the people in suits and nametags.) Both groups have radios.

Let yourselves and *especially* your kids relax and smell the roses. Seriously. Don't be commando.

Never assume a line is "too long" until you ask the greeter CM or look at the ride board. Many rides/shows hold a bajillion people at once. I used to have a lot of people walk away from my attraction because the line was "too long" even though I knew it was only 15 minutes. (Which reminds me--the estimate the CM will give you is almost always high.)

Break your shoes in thoroughly and carry Band-Aids.

Best way to get a thrill out of Splash Mountain is to look straight out in front of you (not down) as you start to go down the flume.

Go to the left??? Seriously? Do people subliminally pick "right" for some reason or are the left lines built to be shorter?

LOVE the Splash Mountain tip! I could have ridden it a dozen times without trying it! This is why I like a different perspective!

Also, good tip about managers and custodial staff! Thanx!!!!!:worship:

You mean each cashier actually services 2 lines at CS meals??? Wow...didn't know that one either....:confused:

Go to the left??? Seriously? Do people subliminally pick "right" for some reason or are the left lines built to be shorter?

Most people go right. This tip applies just about anywhere, actually, but it's more noticeable where there are longer lines (like at Disney). (The queues are usually built to be the same length on both sides.)

This tip does *not*, however, work when choosing which direction to see a park in ... you don't necessarily save time by going left instead of right and doing the park clockwise instead of counterclockwise.

Actually it's been proven that the majority of people will go right as the majority of people are right hand dominant. Even in a chase situation, the runner will turn right more than left. It's just the funky way we are wired.

I like the new quick order machines at Pecos !!! People were standing in line like sheep, and there wasn't one person using the machines !!! I was in and out of the booth, and had my food before two people even ordered at the regular line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!