To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

My biggest takeaway from your trip report is that I most certainly need to figure out a way to do the kids mile with my daughter. There's some zoo fun runs by us and maybe we'll give one a "test run" (pun intended.)

She's soooo fast in short bursts that I can't ever catch her when she sprints down the sidewalk, so I'd imagine it's gonna be a yo-yo affair where I can't keep up and then we walk, etc.

I saw there is a spring marathon in Chicago this year but it's run entirely along the lakefront path. It's same company that did the 10 mile that Bree and I ran so I'm sure will share the path with the public so I'd imagine that's a big NO for next race choices. More elevation that the official Chic marathon along the streets too.

My biggest takeaway from your trip report is that I most certainly need to figure out a way to do the kids mile with my daughter. There's some zoo fun runs by us and maybe we'll give one a "test run" (pun intended.)

She's soooo fast in short bursts that I can't ever catch her when she sprints down the sidewalk, so I'd imagine it's gonna be a yo-yo affair where I can't keep up and then we walk, etc.

It was a blast. I just kind of let her do her own thing and I could see her zig-zagging through the crowd ahead of me. It's light enough out and it's no SO busy that I couldn't see her. You should for sure do it on your next runDisney weekend.

I saw there is a spring marathon in Chicago this year but it's run entirely along the lakefront path. It's same company that did the 10 mile that Bree and I ran so I'm sure will share the path with the public so I'd imagine that's a big NO for next race choices. More elevation that the official Chic marathon along the streets too.

I saw that as well. But not sure I want to sink the resources again for a Chicago M. I'll be interested to see how Milwaukee is, if I end up doing it.

Thanks for sharing your story. So sorry you didn't reach your goal. I got a bit weepy reading the marathon recap. It's just going to be that much more rewarding when you do earn your BQ!

Thanks for reading!

2019 DopeyBadger Racing Season Prediction Contest - FINAL STANDINGS

And without further ado...

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 3.16.13 PM.png

The final standings of the season long prediction game. The Disney M threw a complete wrench into the game since my final finish time was no where close to anyone's predictions.

Our winner was @Sleepless Knight with a cumulative time off with bonus of -1118 seconds. Congrats! Send me a PM with your email address.

To everyone else, thanks for playing!

Really enjoyed reading through your trip and race reports. Just a great attitude as always. Sorry this wasn't the race you wanted but all the experiences make us stronger. Keep doing you!

Thank you for sharing! I'm sorry the race didn't work out better for you, but it's also encouraging to see even the best of amateur athletes struggle just as the back of the pack runners do. I hope that makes sense!

Thanks! It totally makes sense. Regardless of our experience level or our paces, we all go through ups and downs in our race experiences.

Thank you for sharing! I'm sorry the race didn't work out better for you, but it's also encouraging to see even the best of amateur athletes struggle just as the back of the pack runners do. I hope that makes sense!
I believe that the pursuit of any dream will contain moments that really humble us and make us question whether or not the dream will actually come true. Fast or back of the pack, we all overcome something. And when we do achieve those dreams, it feels all the sweeter.
Thanks! It totally makes sense. Regardless of our experience level or our paces, we all go through ups and downs in our race experiences.
One of the best decisions I made here on the DIS was to jump in The Running Thread. I used to believe that it was only for more serious, faster, and accomplished runners, none of which applied to me. I learned so much about running from that decision and am extremely grateful for so many runners more experienced and accomplished than I who welcomed me into the community and were more than happy to share their experience, both good and bad with me. Somehow I think that is part of what constitutes the Spirit of the Marathon.

??? Week to Go! (???) + Some running and some cycling + FIIT4

1/20/20 - M - OFF
1/21/20 - T - Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS)
1/22/20 - W - 30 min Run at Easy
1/23/20 - R - Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS) + 30 min Run at Easy
1/24/20 - F - FIIT4-Shoulders/Triceps + Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS)
1/25/20 - Sa - Perkins-1 (120 min; 75 TSS) + 45 min Evening Run at Easy
1/26/20 - Su - 60 min at Easy (Run) + FIIT-Back/Biceps

Total Run Miles - 18.5 miles
Total Run Time - 2:50 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 5:00 hours
Total Biking TSS - 156 TSS

Total FIIT4 Time - 1:20 hours
Total FIIT4 TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 9:11 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Just some highlights!

-Recovery Week!
-Originally planned on two weeks off, but things change!
-Steph was disappointed with my original race schedule plan. @TeeterTots suggested reaching for the Milwaukee M. So I started a very light recovery week this week to test out the quad.
-All cycling and running was at a very low effort. A small twinge during the Wednesday 30 min run near the end. But other than that, everything's been for the most part smooth sailing.
-Sick and tired of the bike seat tearing me up. Bought a new one with hopes it fixes the problem. If not, I'll go for a professional fitting at my Trek store.
-Made a running friend locally. We've passed each other tons of times over the year since I moved to the new house. Finally joined each other since our route was in line. So ran on Wednesday and Sunday together just by chance as we were both out and about. She recently BQ'd at 3:50 is in training for Boston now.
-Still not sure about Milwaukee. I'm going to do another easy recovery week and then add something of substance the week after. So the future remains undecided. But at a minimum, the leg is being cooperative with very easy cycling and running.

??? Week to Go! (???) + Some running and some cycling + FIIT4

1/27/20 - M - OFF
1/28/20 - T - FIIT4-Shoulders + Townsend-1 (90 min; 55 TSS)
1/29/20 - W - 60 min Run at Easy
1/30/20 - R - Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS) + 45 min Run at Easy
1/31/20 - F - FIIT4-Legs + Truuli-1 (45 min; 45 TSS)
2/1/20 - Sa - Perkins-1 (120 min; 75 TSS) + 45 min Evening Run at Easy
2/2/20 - Su - 80 min at LR (Run) + FIIT-Chest/Tri

Total Run Miles - 28.1 miles
Total Run Time - 3:57 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 5:15 hours
Total Biking TSS - 202 TSS

Total FIIT4 Time - 2:03 hours
Total FIIT4 TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 11:15 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Just some highlights!

-New bicycle seat felt better on Tuesday. Then for Thurs, Fri, and Sat it felt much better. I'm hoping long term this was the right move, but short term seems to be right.
-Did my first cycling activity with actual paces and the quad held up fine. I could feel it, but wasn't preventing me from doing anything.
-The running is still coming along. Happily running comfortably slow. I did strides on Thursday night which felt decent and didn't cause issues with the quad although I could feel it. On Saturday, my legs started to feel "normal" again. Decided my Kinvara 8s are coming towards the end of their life so I purchased some Kinvara 10s to try out. Used them on Sunday's LR and everything felt right. I did 80 min at 7:42 GAP. It felt like LR effort but HR says it was M Tempo. But it's still only 21 days out from the Disney Marathon. I've probably got another 3 weeks or so until the HR returns to normal. As far as feeling "normal" again, I'm right on target as in the past it has taken an average of 25 days post-marathon and I'm at 20 days when it occurred.
-FIIT4 Leg day is NOT a good idea on Friday morning. Yikes it was a doozy and I'm not sure in the future if I do a hard run on Thursday night that a Friday leg day will align well. So I think I'll reserve Leg day for only on Tuesday mornings. Overall the FIIT4 is going well. I do find it more challenging than 80DO was primarily because there is a reduced recovery time between bouts of exercise compared to 80DO. So far I've been fairly sore the day after FIIT4 where with 80DO I rarely had any lingering soreness. We'll see how that translates and how well it lines up with cycling/running training when those things start to pick up again.

-New bicycle seat felt better on Tuesday. Then for Thurs, Fri, and Sat it felt much better. I'm hoping long term this was the right move, but short term seems to be right.

What saddle did you buy? I have an ISM on both of my bikes and find them to be very comfortable when riding long distances.

What saddle did you buy? I have an ISM on both of my bikes and find them to be very comfortable when riding long distances.

I believe I had gotten the Montrose at 128mm back in October.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ose-comp-bike-saddle/p/14010/?colorCode=black
But since I was having issues they suggested something less aggressive and more for upright riders. Additionally, something wider between 145-160mm based on my sit bones. So I think they went with the Commuter this time at 165mm.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ter-comp-bike-saddle/p/21588/?colorCode=black
They wanted to swing in the opposite direction and then if I had new issues potentially go with something in the middle. I've got 30 days to return it if I don't like it.

I think I missed what the FIIT4 workouts are. I was familiar with 80 Day Obsession, but I haven't heard of FIIT4. Is that another Beachbody series?

I think I missed what the FIIT4 workouts are. I was familiar with 80 Day Obsession, but I haven't heard of FIIT4. Is that another Beachbody series?

FIIT4 is another Beachbody. They're usually 35-40 min long (instead of 45-60 like 80DO). They seem to be following a pattern of heavy lifting + maybe HIIT + core exercise. So as an example for yesterday's Chest/Tri:

3 sets of 10 reps with no rest between exercises within a block
1) Decline Press, Skull Crusher, Rotating Chest Press, Single Side Crusher
2) Chest Press, Tri Press, Chest Fly, Tricep kickback

Then it was 30 sec burnouts in 3 sets of
1) Wide pushups
2) Tricep pushups

1) Flutter kicks with shoulders off ground and weight held above chest
2) Back on ground, arms out to form T, lift legs bent above body (knees above waist), and rotate torso for oblique move

The biggest difference I've found from 80DO is you're doing close to the total number of reps, but in 40 min instead of 60 min. The reduced rest makes it quite tough.

FIIT4 is another Beachbody. They're usually 35-40 min long (instead of 45-60 like 80DO). They seem to be following a pattern of heavy lifting + maybe HIIT + core exercise. So as an example for yesterday's Chest/Tri:

3 sets of 10 reps with no rest between exercises within a block
1) Decline Press, Skull Crusher, Rotating Chest Press, Single Side Crusher
2) Chest Press, Tri Press, Chest Fly, Tricep kickback

1) Wide pushups
2) Tricep pushups

1) Flutter kicks with shoulders off ground and weight held above chest
2) Back on ground, arms out to form T, lift legs bent above body (knees above waist), and rotate torso for oblique move

The biggest difference I've found from 80DO is you're doing close to the total number of reps, but in 40 min instead of 60 min. The reduced rest makes it quite tough.

Thanks, you must mean LIIFT4. I have a bunch of DVD sets of Beachbody programs, but I haven't been to their site for awhile. It looks like they've moved entirely to streaming, which I suppose makes sense, but I'm not sure what I think about having time-limited access to the workouts vs. having the DVDs forever. LIIFT4 does look intriguing - maybe something I'll have to look at for summer.

Thanks, you must mean LIIFT4. I have a bunch of DVD sets of Beachbody programs, but I haven't been to their site for awhile. It looks like they've moved entirely to streaming, which I suppose makes sense, but I'm not sure what I think about having time-limited access to the workouts vs. having the DVDs forever. LIIFT4 does look intriguing - maybe something I'll have to look at for summer.

Yep, that's the one.

If you're looking for another strength plan after you finish LIIFT4, I highly recommend Body Beast. The instructor is quite goofy, but that program got me so much stronger than any of the other Beachbody programs I have done with LIIFT4 coming in a close second. There is not any cardio at all really in Body Beast that I remember though, it is mainly all lifting.

If you're looking for another strength plan after you finish LIIFT4, I highly recommend Body Beast. The instructor is quite goofy, but that program got me so much stronger than any of the other Beachbody programs I have done with LIIFT4 coming in a close second. There is not any cardio at all really in Body Beast that I remember though, it is mainly all lifting.

Good to know. I’ll check it out and see how I can fit it in afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter