To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Agree completely! Race math is exactly one of the reasons I stopped looking at my watch while racing. Knew where I was suppose to be and if I wasn't, then things started to fall apart and "race math" happened. I'm hoping by setting up the intervals at 0.5 mile that it'll make that race math harder and I can try and focus solely on staying within the pace window. I actually don't have my watch tell me overall time, so I won't be able to even peek to see where I'm at relatively. And since the laps are less than one mile, I won't even get 1 mile splits either.

I love "race-math"! It's a key mental distraction trick I use during races to keep the demons in my head busy. The demons are like little kids on a long car trip - if you don't give them numbers to crunch, they'll spend the whole race repeating "Are we there yet?!? Are we there yet?!?"

I love "race-math"! It's a key mental distraction trick I use during races to keep the demons in my head busy. The demons are like little kids on a long car trip - if you don't give them numbers to crunch, they'll spend the whole race repeating "Are we there yet?!? Are we there yet?!?"

:scared:

I'm not there yet! Still working on it, as I just struggle to keep the negative demons away. I can keep them silent when they've got no info. But I'm trying to see if I can work my way back to the land of the some GPS data.

Hopefully your race goes to plan and you can remove the * from the PR

Well this is what I originally typed...

It might be until the Disney 2018 5k before the * can be removed because the upcoming race is a 10k (in June).

And then I decided to change it to...

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 7.08.57 PM.png

:D

LET'S DO THIS!

Good for you! PRs in training are good for the brain but aren't really PRs. If they were, they'd count for PoT. :rotfl2:

:D Yea, yea I know... I'm ready to let it loose with someone other than my shadow in attendance.
Yes! Woooo!!! :cheer2:

I really hope you get a t-shirt with that Bun Run logo, because it is awesome!

Looks like you do get a shirt with it on it. Added bonus that I would be top 10 in the last three years and I would have won last year. I'm excited! :yay:

Alright, then make the following changes:

5/27 - 10k at LR
5/30 - 5k race with 3.2km WU (during the WU include strides during the later portion of the WU)
5/31 - 6km at EA

then proceed as written.

The WU prior to the 5k should help tremendously with performance. Just conduct the WU within 60 min of the start but no sooner than 15 min to start. Although this past weekend I finished mine about 5 min before start and I felt fine. I think longer distances (10k, HM, M) probably need a bigger gap between WU and start.

1st proper week for me on the plan and it was a strange one for me.
1st run Plan 6klm @ 6:22 - hit 6.08Km @6:24 - looks ok but struggled to identify pace and was all over the place purely coincidental that was on target.

2nd Run 7Klm @ 5:56 - hit 7.51Km @ 5:48 - slightly more even paced but still not getting it.

3rd run was where the real fun started for me, on the surface it appears that it went well (and it did) but underneath was a whole world of new information that i started to think about - 3.2Klm WU - Seemed to get that right - then on to 8Klm @5:17 - did ok in the 1st 4 - 5:14, 5:10, 5:17,5:12 but in reality I was thinking about your notres on the plan about posture, cadence, keeping the stride within my torso etc, and what I found was that it was almost like a different person running - yeah sure it seemed like more effort, less relaxed, uncomfortable stride length but the pace was good and seemed to be steady (ish) then as I got further in I found it hard to judge what pace I was at because I wasn't used to the effort level it was taking, I though I was decreasing the effort but in fact I was increasing it, next Klm was 4:56, Ok so I'll slow it a little - couldn't get my head around wheter or not I was giving less effort and ended up 5:58. Again told myself to slow down (all the while keeping more upright and shorter strides) and went quicker again 5:55.. Back to WU pace and didn't manage to slow down enough 6:14, 6:14, 7:05. All in all I did fell the effort later on but it was a very different run for me - not in a bad way- and has opened my eyes a little to the idea that I may actually run quiker with shorter strides and maybe even with less overall effort if I can master the posture and become commfortable with it.

4th Run was almost more of the same in terms of pacing - Plan was 10Km @ 5:43 - went from 5:22 1st Km to 5:48 3rd and 5:34 4th but then managed to settle pretty much on target for the remainder except a quicker last Km.

A very different and enjoyable week, lots to think about and tinker with and I look forward to seeing how I progress with it in the comming weeks.

Thanks again for your help.

1st run Plan 6klm @ 6:22 - hit 6.08Km @6:24 - looks ok but struggled to identify pace and was all over the place purely coincidental that was on target.

2nd Run 7Klm @ 5:56 - hit 7.51Km @ 5:48 - slightly more even paced but still not getting it.

So these first two runs are defined as "easy". So it's not terribly surprising the paces were a bit more sporadic. I think one thing to keep in mind with the easy days is there is a much bigger zone to hit. While the paces are scheduled as easy A and easy B, also think of them as a general easy zone. The goal is that on a week to week basis we do some super easy days and some somewhat easy days. But the need for accuracy on these runs isn't nearly as critical as other runs. I think as long as you go no faster than 5:50 for any of the easy, then you should be fine. One of the hard parts about km vs mile is that the zones get significantly tighter because of the smaller distance. So there is less room for error. But overall, these are fine!

4th Run was almost more of the same in terms of pacing - Plan was 10Km @ 5:43 - went from 5:22 1st Km to 5:48 3rd and 5:34 4th but then managed to settle pretty much on target for the remainder except a quicker last Km.

It's not terribly surprising that your first long run was a little quick. We're still in the early phases of the training and thus your body can tolerate more, but we're trying to slowly progress. There is a bit of a physiological "grey" zone between long run and marathon tempo. So we want to be careful that your long run pacing doesn't bleed into the m tempo and additionally gets no where close to it. The benefits of the long run are maximized at pacing further away from m tempo.

3rd run was where the real fun started for me, on the surface it appears that it went well (and it did) but underneath was a whole world of new information that i started to think about - 3.2Klm WU - Seemed to get that right - then on to 8Klm @5:17 - did ok in the 1st 4 - 5:14, 5:10, 5:17,5:12 but in reality I was thinking about your notres on the plan about posture, cadence, keeping the stride within my torso etc, and what I found was that it was almost like a different person running - yeah sure it seemed like more effort, less relaxed, uncomfortable stride length but the pace was good and seemed to be steady (ish) then as I got further in I found it hard to judge what pace I was at because I wasn't used to the effort level it was taking, I though I was decreasing the effort but in fact I was increasing it, next Klm was 4:56, Ok so I'll slow it a little - couldn't get my head around wheter or not I was giving less effort and ended up 5:58. Again told myself to slow down (all the while keeping more upright and shorter strides) and went quicker again 5:55.. Back to WU pace and didn't manage to slow down enough 6:14, 6:14, 7:05. All in all I did fell the effort later on but it was a very different run for me - not in a bad way- and has opened my eyes a little to the idea that I may actually run quiker with shorter strides and maybe even with less overall effort if I can master the posture and become commfortable with it.

Give it time but I think slowly progressing to a faster cadence will prove to be more beneficial in the long run (pun intended). So as far as the pacing not equaling the effort. At least in these early stages of the training I'd try and "check in" with your GPS device more often. Train your body via the GPS device what these paces feel like. Then after adjusting what the effort feels like internally, then you'll lead into some of the blind runs to test your "effort" judgement. But it's critical to try and maintain a close pace set, so paying attention to the GPS is important at this stage of the cycle.

As for the CD going too quickly, again it's not surprising given the stage of training. It's also a good sign because it means you definitely didn't push too hard. So I'd say the CD was in a good enough easy zone to be beneficial towards the intent of it.

A very different and enjoyable week, lots to think about and tinker with and I look forward to seeing how I progress with it in the comming weeks.

Thanks again for your help.

Happy to help and good luck on your 5k this week!

26 Days to Go (Sometimes it works.... and sometimes it doesn't...)

ZRl9NDz.gif

giphy.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

5/16/17 - T - 2 mi @ WU + 2 x 2mi @ T w/ 2 min REST + 2 mi @ CD (1/4) *Cut short
5/17/17 - W - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
5/18/17 - R - 2 mi @ WU + 2 x 4 min @ I w/ 3 min RI @ WU + 3 x 3 min @ I w/ 2 min RI @ WU + 4 x 2 min @ I w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD (3/9)
5/19/17 - F - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
5/20/17 - Sat - 4 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
5/21/17 - Sun - Bunny Head 5k Time Trial #2
5/22/17 - M - OFF

Total (training) mileage = 42.6 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 4/13 (31%)

Monday's soccer class was cancelled AGAIN for rain! We're seriously going to have more rain-out days than actual classes at this point.

Tuesday was another T day!

Original Plan:

2 mi @ WU + 3 x 2mi @ T w/ 2 min REST + 2 mi @ CD

Cut short plan:

2 mi @ WU + 2 x 2mi @ T w/ 2 min REST + 2 mi @ CD

T+D increase of 48 degrees from the last run, 3 out of 4 days were hard workouts, wind of 25-30 mph all led to a workout that I decided to cut short. The T+D was 145.

I hemmed and hawed as to whether I should even do this workout. I wasn't positive I was fully recovered from the weekend's 5k time trial and 11 mile long run. Because of the weather today (hot and windy) and tomorrow (possible thunderstorms) I wasn't sure when I'd get the Q1 workout in. So I decided to go ahead and try to do it today. I looked at my T+D adjustment chart and a 145 is a 4% adjustment. So my T pace went from 6:38 to 6:56.

T pace = 6:38 min/mile + 4% T+D adjustment = 6:56 min/mile
T window = +/- 5 seconds

I felt comfortable with the pacing in the beginning. But as it progressed I could tell my body wasn't going to have this pace (even with the heat adjustment). Having a 48 degree increase was too much to overcome. So after the first 2 mile interval, I decided to keep it comfortable. But after the second interval I could tell my body wasn't happy (both the heat and not recovered from the weekend). So I decided to shut it down. I don't do that often, but because we're in racing season I'm not concerned with losing a single workout. Thankfully, the weather will calm back down by the end of the week. As confirmation that things weren't right, I was down 2.5 pounds when I got home from running. So I likely didn't hydrate well enough as well. Not worried and on to the next one. I should have just gone with the easy run today. I'm not sure what I'll schedule for the rest of the week because I haven't decided if I'm doing another time trial on Sunday morning (or saving it until 5/27). I'll keep an eye on the weather and how my body responds going forward to decide what to do on each day.

Wednesday was a no joke wind day of 28-38 mph! Just look at around mile 3.5....

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 8.15.38 PM.png

The key to an easy day when you've got 38 mph wind. You go EASY. So yea, the pacing dropped to an 11:00 min/mile, but it doesn't matter when you've got the force of nature pushing you the opposite direction.

G had another soccer class with grandma and mom. Unfortunately, it didn't go very well. They decided to come home early to see if they could get it through to G that it's important to pay attention to the coach/teacher. *Spoiler Alert - It worked because today's soccer class went much better. While she wasn't a 100% participant, it's about as much as I could expect. So HOORAY! I'm positive, it's a matter of "not being any good at it." But I think she's slowly realizing that we have to actually do it, to get better at it. Progress!

Thursday was a "runner's choice".

2 mi @ WU + 2 x 4 min @ I w/ 3 min RI @ WU + 3 x 3 min @ I w/ 2 min RI @ WU + 4 x 2 min @ I w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD

T+D = 111 with wind of 10-15 mph.

I pace = 6:04 min/mile + 0.5% adjustment = 6:06 min/mile
I window = +/- 5 seconds

Overall a solid workout! I gave a good effort and came out with an average pace of 6:16 and a HR of 157. Sunday's weather is still looking good (86% cloudy, T+D of 92 and wind of 10 mph), so I may give it another go at a time trial.

Friday felt very easy and helped confirm I was ready for another time trial on Sunday.

Saturday was just an easy 4 miles. I got out there before the rain started and overall it was solid. A laughably low HR of 121!

Sunday was the Bunny Head Time Trial #2. Not a new PR, but definitely a better pacing experience than time trial #1. I think it's possible that after the weekend prior I had lost a touch of motivation. I hit a big milestone and maybe wasn't pushing full max. It's hard to say that after the fact, but it's possible. Since this happened on #2 and because of the *, I decided it was time to final a real 5k and see what happens when there are ghosts (or brats?) to chase (or lead the whole time!!!).

Happy to help and good luck on your 5k this week!

Thanks for all the advice Just back form the morning run and ave pace was 6:20 so happy with that the variance in there was again high but there was also an 60Mtr Climb and decent between Klm 2 and Klm4 so was always going to be difficult.
Another week before the 5K race though.

Thanks for all the advice Just back form the morning run and ave pace was 6:20 so happy with that the variance in there was again high but there was also an 60Mtr Climb and decent between Klm 2 and Klm4 so was always going to be difficult.
Another week before the 5K race though.

Whoops, sorry about that! I misread the calendar!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter