To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

7 days until the Madison Mini Half Marathon!

Weather update!

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 11.05.51 AM.png

8/9/18 - T+D of 121, 15% chance rain, 11% cloudy, 4mph wind
8/10/18 - T+D of 125, 15% chance rain, 27% cloudy, 1mph wind
8/11/18 - T+D of 125, 15% chance rain, 14% cloudy, 3mph wind
8/12/18 - T+D of 125, 19% chance rain, 47% cloudy, 1mph wind

Holding steady.

55 Days to Go (I'm Fabulous!)

IMG_1686.JPG

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

8/6/18 - M - OFF
8/7/18 - T - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
8/8/18 - W - 2 mile WU + 8 miles M Tempo + 1 mile RI + 5 miles M Tempo (11/13)
8/9/18 - R - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
8/10/18 - F - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
8/11/18 - Sat - 10 miles @ EB (7:42)
8/12/18 - Sun - 13 miles @ LR (7:25) (10/13) **Was suppose to be 18 miles, but reduced mileage of last few weeks made that too aggressive.

Running duration = 8:02 hours
Running mileage = 59.8 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = n/a hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = n/a miles
Total (training) duration = 8:02 hours
Total (training) mileage = 59.8 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = 21/26 (81%)

Monday

Went to the grocery store with G. Always an adventure. Nothing really of note.

Tuesday

After about an hour at work, my right ankle suddenly felt awful. I couldn't put my finger on the reason. I figured it might be how my ankle won't crack sometimes, but this felt different. I tied my shoes tighter, but that didn't help (sometimes they don't have enough support).

Went for my run using my Breakthru 3 Saucony shoes. Almost immediately they felt flat and my ankle was screaming. I considered just stopping the run, and changing shoes. But I was already moving so why no keep going. Probably should have gone back, because I feel like I only made the ankle feel worse.

7 miles at 8:35 pace at T+D of 138 and HR of 130.

We've got floors!

IMG_1934.jpg

Wednesday

Turn around was really short. Only 11.5 hours between the runs. Decided to tie my shoes really tight. The ankle didn't feel great in the beginning, but I broke out a brand new pair of Kinvara 8s and it was better than Tuesday.

I chose a "flat" route to help simulate for Chicago. To my disappointment, my flat route was still an average elevation gain of 22 feet per mile.

M Tempo = 6:48 pace + 2-3% adjustment for temp = 6:58-7:01 goal pace

1st 8 miles M Tempo = 7:03, 6:57, 6:56, 6:59, 6:53, 6:58, 7:01, 6:58

Things went well. Felt like the pace was doable and able to maintain it throughout. But then the break came up, things seemingly fell apart.

2nd 5 miles M Tempo = 7:08, 7:10, 7:08, 7:14, 7:23

Felt like after the 1 mile RI, things just couldn't get back in the same groove. Can't really explain it, but definitely thrown off my rhythm. If it had gone much further than the additional 5 miles, then I probably would have faded even more aggressively. The cadence stayed much the same, but the stride length was shorter. So it would seem like I lost my power in the 2nd half. HR wise though things were right on track in that 148-152 historical range.

Walls have been delivered!

IMG_1938.jpg

Sub-floor is down!

IMG_1946.jpg

Thursday

Ankle felt pretty beat up and I was even getting a feeling like something was off with my upper right shin bone. Not quite where the stress fracture was earlier this year, but similar location. Obviously I was super sensitive to this and was icing my ankle/leg all day. I just didn't like that feeling one bit.

We were getting some serious rainfall so I wasn't even sure whether I'd be able to run. But the skies cleared up in time and I was out the door. Still using some newer shoes with the hopes that would help my ankle/leg feel better.

6.7 miles at 8:43 pace at T+D of 141 and HR of 129.

Friday

Ankle feeling as if it's on the mend. Continued to ice the ankle/leg. Felt some phantom feelings in the leg, but did the press test and the hop test and didn't find anything. So maybe mental? Could possibly just be nerves since we're getting close to the Madison Mini.

6.6 miles at 8:46 pace at T+D of 154 and HR of 130.

Looking like a house now!

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

Saturday

Decided to try and catch up on some sleep. Got 9.5 hrs with 5.5 hrs of deep. Felt nice and refreshing. Was suppose to be 90 min, but because the last week was a bit short I decided to move this down a touch. Ended up with 10 miles (83 min).

10 miles at 8:19 pace at T+D of 152 and HR of 139. Couldn't keep the HR down and was seemingly overheating there at the end.

We visited Lucy at my MIL's. Unfortunately, our last ditch effort doesn't seem to have made a difference. So, we'll be putting her down on either Monday or Tuesday of this coming week. :sad1:

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

Sunday

Slept again, but had a deadline of 10:30am. So out the door and ready to see what my legs would give me. Aimed for the long run pace of 7:42 (with adjustment based on the T+D of 135-143). Got stopped by my neighbor at mile 11 and had a long catch-up. So when time came to start running again, my legs had definitely gotten rusty. So I decided to call it a day at the end of the 4th lap.

13 miles at 7:48 pace at T+D of 135-143 and HR of 142.

An easy week coming up and then the Madison Mini next Saturday. I'm excited to measure the progress and start to get a realistic picture of Chicago.

6 days until the Madison Mini Half Marathon!

Weather update!

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 6.39.08 AM.png

8/9/18 - T+D of 121, 15% chance rain, 11% cloudy, 4mph wind
8/10/18 - T+D of 125, 15% chance rain, 27% cloudy, 1mph wind
8/11/18 - T+D of 125, 15% chance rain, 14% cloudy, 3mph wind
8/12/18 - T+D of 125, 19% chance rain, 47% cloudy, 1mph wind
8/13/18 - T+D of 127, 8% chance rain, 19% cloudy, 2mph wind

I hope your ankle is on the mend. So sorry about your dog. My in laws put theirs down about 3 weeks ago, he was almost 17.

The house is coming along nicely!

I hope your ankle is on the mend.

Better than earlier last week, so I'm hoping I've solved the cause.

So sorry about your dog. My in laws put theirs down about 3 weeks ago, he was almost 17.

Thanks. Lucy just turned 7 which for a small dog like her is quite young. We just feel so awful because we weren't able to help her/figure out the reason for her decline. Like we failed her.

The house is coming along nicely!

Thanks!

The house is looking great. Those early days with the framing and everything just go so fast! Watching the progress is exciting.

I'm so sorry about Lucy. That picture of you holding her broke my heart. You didn't fail her. Life, for dogs just like people, can't always be predictable and sometimes bodies are just only designed to go so long and sometimes no matter what you do, you can't change that. The important thing is that she had a life well-lived in which she got to play and enjoy and love and be loved. It's all any of us want or need.

Thanks. Lucy just turned 7 which for a small dog like her is quite young. We just feel so awful because we weren't able to help her/figure out the reason for her decline. Like we failed her.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Unfortunately, these things happen. I’m sure you guys gave her a good life and did the best you could for her. I hope G does okay. Death is a tough concept at that age.

The house is looking great. Those early days with the framing and everything just go so fast! Watching the progress is exciting.

Thanks! It's been fun to watch it go from a hole in the ground to something real and tangible.

I'm so sorry about Lucy. That picture of you holding her broke my heart. You didn't fail her. Life, for dogs just like people, can't always be predictable and sometimes bodies are just only designed to go so long and sometimes no matter what you do, you can't change that. The important thing is that she had a life well-lived in which she got to play and enjoy and love and be loved. It's all any of us want or need.

I appreciate the kind words.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Unfortunately, these things happen. I’m sure you guys gave her a good life and did the best you could for her. I hope G does okay. Death is a tough concept at that age.

Thankfully, G's been alright. She doesn't really understand. Although she did her best to try and comfort Steph as the "rain was coming down on her head" (tears, such a goof). She's already talking about the next dog and that we'll name her Lucy again. But it's too soon.

So sorry about Lucy. It's hard when pets decline so quickly and you feel like you should have been able to do more. But sometimes that's just how it goes and there's nothing you can do. Remember that just making her a part of your family and loving her was more than some people do, and that has to be enough. So sorry that you're going through this.

So sorry to hear about Lucy. Was hoping to hear that she was on the mend. It is always hard to say goodbye to pets as they become members of our families.

Had no idea you were building a house! Congrats on doing that and the pictures are amazing to me living in Louisiana. We start by bringing dirt in and other than the foundation nothing is below ground. Just cool to see it that way! You've been getting in some good miles! I hope the ankle feels better soon as well. I hope to be more active in your journal and others so I am aware of these things.

Poor Lucy, hope the family is doing okay considering... losing a pet is hard :sad:

As for the ankle, posterior or medial side? And is it crunchy or just painful? Any swelling?

So sorry about Lucy. It's hard when pets decline so quickly and you feel like you should have been able to do more. But sometimes that's just how it goes and there's nothing you can do. Remember that just making her a part of your family and loving her was more than some people do, and that has to be enough. So sorry that you're going through this.

Thanks. It's true because she was likely on her last round of adoption when we came around. So it's entirely possible her life would have been much shorter without us.

So sorry to hear about Lucy. Was hoping to hear that she was on the mend. It is always hard to say goodbye to pets as they become members of our families.

Thanks.

Had no idea you were building a house! Congrats on doing that and the pictures are amazing to me living in Louisiana. We start by bringing dirt in and other than the foundation nothing is below ground. Just cool to see it that way!

Thanks! That's funny. Yea, we've got to dig down to pour the foundation. In fact, we were delayed a little because the frost layer was still an issue way back in April. So it delayed getting all the properties ready. The house is built on a little hill, so they've been playing around with the elevations all around us to make sure the drainage is where they want it to be.

You've been getting in some good miles! I hope the ankle feels better soon as well. I hope to be more active in your journal and others so I am aware of these things.

Thanks! I'm hopeful it's just a minor thing. I was still able to get in 60 miles this week and the ankle certainly felt better at the end of the week than the beginning.

Poor Lucy, hope the family is doing okay considering... losing a pet is hard :sad:

Steph's definitely taking it the hardest.

As for the ankle, posterior or medial side? And is it crunchy or just painful? Any swelling?

Medial side. About 0-2 inches above the bottom of the tibia on the inner side. No swelling. Sharp pain every once in a while. Although on a pain scale it's quite low most of the time - like 2/3 on a scale of 10.

Sounds like the posterior tibial tendon pain, be careful! I get it every once in awhile, but nothing bad... usually related to old shoes. Seems like your ankle liked the change in footwear, so hopefully that’s the solution!

55 Days to Go (I'm Fabulous!)

View attachment 343284

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

8/6/18 - M - OFF
8/7/18 - T - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
8/8/18 - W - 2 mile WU + 8 miles M Tempo + 1 mile RI + 5 miles M Tempo (11/13)
8/9/18 - R - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
8/10/18 - F - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
8/11/18 - Sat - 10 miles @ EB (7:42)
8/12/18 - Sun - 13 miles @ LR (7:25) (10/13) **Was suppose to be 18 miles, but reduced mileage of last few weeks made that too aggressive.

Running duration = 8:02 hours
Running mileage = 59.8 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = n/a hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = n/a miles
Total (training) duration = 8:02 hours
Total (training) mileage = 59.8 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = 21/26 (81%)

Monday

Went to the grocery store with G. Always an adventure. Nothing really of note.

Tuesday

After about an hour at work, my right ankle suddenly felt awful. I couldn't put my finger on the reason. I figured it might be how my ankle won't crack sometimes, but this felt different. I tied my shoes tighter, but that didn't help (sometimes they don't have enough support).

Went for my run using my Breakthru 3 Saucony shoes. Almost immediately they felt flat and my ankle was screaming. I considered just stopping the run, and changing shoes. But I was already moving so why no keep going. Probably should have gone back, because I feel like I only made the ankle feel worse.

7 miles at 8:35 pace at T+D of 138 and HR of 130.

We've got floors!

View attachment 343280

Wednesday

Turn around was really short. Only 11.5 hours between the runs. Decided to tie my shoes really tight. The ankle didn't feel great in the beginning, but I broke out a brand new pair of Kinvara 8s and it was better than Tuesday.

I chose a "flat" route to help simulate for Chicago. To my disappointment, my flat route was still an average elevation gain of 22 feet per mile.

M Tempo = 6:48 pace + 2-3% adjustment for temp = 6:58-7:01 goal pace

1st 8 miles M Tempo = 7:03, 6:57, 6:56, 6:59, 6:53, 6:58, 7:01, 6:58

Things went well. Felt like the pace was doable and able to maintain it throughout. But then the break came up, things seemingly fell apart.

2nd 5 miles M Tempo = 7:08, 7:10, 7:08, 7:14, 7:23

Felt like after the 1 mile RI, things just couldn't get back in the same groove. Can't really explain it, but definitely thrown off my rhythm. If it had gone much further than the additional 5 miles, then I probably would have faded even more aggressively. The cadence stayed much the same, but the stride length was shorter. So it would seem like I lost my power in the 2nd half. HR wise though things were right on track in that 148-152 historical range.

Walls have been delivered!

View attachment 343276

Sub-floor is down!

View attachment 343277

Thursday

Ankle felt pretty beat up and I was even getting a feeling like something was off with my upper right shin bone. Not quite where the stress fracture was earlier this year, but similar location. Obviously I was super sensitive to this and was icing my ankle/leg all day. I just didn't like that feeling one bit.

We were getting some serious rainfall so I wasn't even sure whether I'd be able to run. But the skies cleared up in time and I was out the door. Still using some newer shoes with the hopes that would help my ankle/leg feel better.

6.7 miles at 8:43 pace at T+D of 141 and HR of 129.

Friday

Ankle feeling as if it's on the mend. Continued to ice the ankle/leg. Felt some phantom feelings in the leg, but did the press test and the hop test and didn't find anything. So maybe mental? Could possibly just be nerves since we're getting close to the Madison Mini.

6.6 miles at 8:46 pace at T+D of 154 and HR of 130.

Looking like a house now!

View attachment 343278

View attachment 343279

View attachment 343281

Saturday

Decided to try and catch up on some sleep. Got 9.5 hrs with 5.5 hrs of deep. Felt nice and refreshing. Was suppose to be 90 min, but because the last week was a bit short I decided to move this down a touch. Ended up with 10 miles (83 min).

10 miles at 8:19 pace at T+D of 152 and HR of 139. Couldn't keep the HR down and was seemingly overheating there at the end.

We visited Lucy at my MIL's. Unfortunately, our last ditch effort doesn't seem to have made a difference. So, we'll be putting her down on either Monday or Tuesday of this coming week. :sad1:

View attachment 343283

View attachment 343282

Sunday

Slept again, but had a deadline of 10:30am. So out the door and ready to see what my legs would give me. Aimed for the long run pace of 7:42 (with adjustment based on the T+D of 135-143). Got stopped by my neighbor at mile 11 and had a long catch-up. So when time came to start running again, my legs had definitely gotten rusty. So I decided to call it a day at the end of the 4th lap.

13 miles at 7:48 pace at T+D of 135-143 and HR of 142.

An easy week coming up and then the Madison Mini next Saturday. I'm excited to measure the progress and start to get a realistic picture of Chicago.

I hope it's just a bunch of nothing when it comes to your ankle and leg!

I'm so sorry about Lucy. It's hard to see a family member (yes, pets are family) suffering so much.

Isn't it strange how the foundation of the house looks like it is so tiny and small and not the right size? Then walls start going up and framing happens inside and it doesn't seem so small anymore LOL!!!

My son has the same Flash t-shirt!

I need to make a race prediction - but what is the distance? 13.1? "Mini Marathon" confuses me. Elevation chart showed 13.3?

I'm so sorry about Lucy - it's tough losing pets. We lost two of our boxers fairly young (4 and 6) - brain tumor and lymphoma, respectively. It sucks feeling like you didn't do enough for them, even though you know you did.

The house is looking good!

I hope your ankle calms down!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter