Tips/Observations from a Disney vet/Universal newbie

vedamathews01

Earning My Ears
I recently completed my first trip to Universal. For comparison, I've been to Disney World over a dozen times, Disneyland twice, Disneyland Paris once, and Disney Tokyo once - so obviously biased :)

I found a few things that as a long-time Disney visitor were unexpected. Hopefully this will be of help to anyone else with a similar background.

First the things Universal/IoA did better/different...

Universal/IoA was much more of a traditional park. Coasters, rides that spin and flip, etc. There aren’t really any of the slow boat type Disney rides (think Small World, Pirates, etc.) or even the
rides aimed at children (Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, etc.). The closest was the Cat in the Hat (which still spun a lot) and the Sneetches train. This isn’t good or bad, just something to be aware
of. Taking a 3 or 4 year old, Disney would have many more things for them to do. Conversely, taking a 15 or 16 year old, Universal might be more exciting to them.

To continue on the above, the coasters were AMAZING. Especially the velociraptor ride. Hagrid’s was probably my favorite overall and both were very different from anything you would find at Disney.
If you like coasters, Universal/IoA is the place to go.

Similarly, I found the water rides to be superior to Disney and BONUS, they have dryers by the rides because you WILL get pretty wet.

Another good thing is that the lines for most of the popular rides snake around inside where you are in air conditioning. This was very welcome on the 95 degree days. We actually found ourselves
looking forward to 60 minute waits.

I am not a Harry Potter fan, but the theming was incredible. In fact, the overall theming of the parks and rides was far superior to anything you would find at Disney except for very few rides
(Everest, Yeti, etc.) I felt very immersed in the different worlds and, especially, the rides.

There are Coke freestyle machines everywhere. The good thing about this, besides getting a free refill without having to stand in line, was water. They all dispensed water free of charge, so it was
very easy to stay hydrated for free.

Crowds are a fraction of what you find at Disney. The parks are smaller. Going off-peak you could see everything in two days if you rush, three taking your time. No need to express pass during off
peak.

Now the things that weren’t as good...

Rain closes a lot of stuff. More than half of the rides seemed to shut down when it rained or there was the threat of rain.

Lockers, lockers, lockers. You have to put your bags into lockers before getting in line for rides. And the Hulk coaster even had a METAL DETECTOR. This becomes a serious pain because a) the locker
areas get very crowded and b) you just get tired of having to dump all of your stuff. Pretty much any fun ride you have to use a locker.

The app was horrible. I know a lot of people don’t like the Disney one, but Universal’s was far, far, worse. The biggest problems were the filters resetting (so if you wanted to just see IoA rides,
and then looked at shows, when you went back to rides, you’d see both Universal and IoA), and the shows defaulted to map view instead of list view.

The characters were...interesting. Many seemed far older than they should be and many were out of shape. Not body shaming, but Thor shouldn’t have a gut. And the quality of the costumes was like a
high school production.

Speed of lines. Disney really has this down to an artform. Universal lines seemed to move slower given the same number of people.

Lastly, an observation that isn’t a comparison. We found the same items in the resorts to be cheaper than the parks. For example, a Simpsons donut in the parks would be $3, but in the resort $2.

Overall we liked Universal/IoA and are happy we went, but there was no...magic like you find at Disney, so for us, that’s a deal breaker.

Thanks for your report.
USO is very different experience.
I worry when I read comments like G’Bye WDWAp hello USOAP .
It takes more than one trip to get to know USO…

Best advice that helped me , I arrived for first visit November 2018 (bday) and it was dark. Happened to walk towards Seuss Cat in Hat area and the Xmas holiday lights and music (loud) was incredible.
As I continued to explore I felt like it would be very easy for Universal to adopt the Osborne lights vibe .

Please tell me you walked thru the Tribute Store and also enjoyed the Dead Coconut Club in the upper level of CityWalk where Universals Classic Monsters are hanging out AfterHours and Vampy stage show throughout the evening with monster mash songs and more . I will never be able to return to Trader Sam’s ever again without being bored!

Whens your next visit? Haha?

Last edited:
Thanks for your report.
USO is very different experience.
I worry when I read comments like G’Bye WDWAp hello USOAP .
It takes more than one trip to get to know USO…
Best advice that helped me , I arrived for first visit November 2018 (bday) and it was dark. Happened to walk towards Cat in Hat area and the Xmas holiday lights and music (loud) was incredible.
As I continued to explore I felt like it would be very easy for Universal to adopt the Osborne lights vibe .
Over the years , I notice improvements and expansion to the holiday decorations. It’s never the same old holiday decorations .
If you stand by their Xmas tree for the Macys Parade …the confetti shimmers and it really is Magic !
Also love the Grinch more than MM , sorry MM and the Grinchmas stage production has not been cancelled due to anything excuse…
Blues Brothers also have a great holiday show .
Manheim Steamroller continues the visits with live performances for 3 weekends in December . That’s a big deal performance included in price of admission .
Please tell me you walked thru the Tribute Store and also enjoyed the Dead Coconut Club in the upper level of CityWalk where Universals Classic Monsters are hanging out AfterHours and Vampy stage show throughout the evening with monster mash songs and more . I will never be able to return to Trader Sam’s ever again without being bored!

Whens your next visit?
:) Spoken like a true fan, and I appreciate it.

My post wasn't to spark a Disney vs Universal debate. The parks are very different and appeal to different audiences. For me personally, there is nothing like the Disney magic and I can't see myself returning to Universal. Disney *is* my childhood (and my adulthood). But that's just my opinion...lots of people feel differently.

Am I glad I experienced Universal? - absolutely.

And I should have added one other thing Universal does better - it's *way* cheaper than WDW.

I just wanted to point out some things to people who normally do Disney and are considering a first time trip to Universal.

(Wasn’t meaning to imply you were comparing…I was talking to myself cause I was surprised to discover a love for Universal but will always love Walt Disney Lands .
I don’t want to think about the differences and need to remind myself
how great it is to have so much themed fun to enjoy!

I assume this is all in reference to the Marvel characters? The costumes are supposed to be based on the comics, not the MCU movies. They do look weird to a MCU-only fan.
Grew up reading the comics. It wasn't the style or look, it was the *quality*. They looked poorly constructed and ill-fitting.

But let me be clear...I *liked* Universal, and listed a bunch of things they did better than Disney. But, for me, the things Disney offers makes future Universal trips pretty impossible. Note, I did enjoy the fact it was a fraction of the cost of a WDW trip :)

However, I think there are lots of Disney fans who *would* enjoy Universal as an alternative...and that was really who the post was for.

Last edited:

I recently completed my first trip to Universal. For comparison, I've been to Disney World over a dozen times, Disneyland twice, Disneyland Paris once, and Disney Tokyo once - so obviously biased :)

I found a few things that as a long-time Disney visitor were unexpected. Hopefully this will be of help to anyone else with a similar background.

Universal/IoA was much more of a traditional park. Coasters, rides that spin and flip, etc. There aren’t really any of the slow boat type Disney rides (think Small World, Pirates, etc.) or even the
rides aimed at children (Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, etc.). The closest was the Cat in the Hat (which still spun a lot) and the Sneetches train. This isn’t good or bad, just something to be aware
of. Taking a 3 or 4 year old, Disney would have many more things for them to do. Conversely, taking a 15 or 16 year old, Universal might be more exciting to them.

To continue on the above, the coasters were AMAZING. Especially the velociraptor ride. Hagrid’s was probably my favorite overall and both were very different from anything you would find at Disney.

Similarly, I found the water rides to be superior to Disney and BONUS, they have dryers by the rides because you WILL get pretty wet.

Another good thing is that the lines for most of the popular rides snake around inside where you are in air conditioning. This was very welcome on the 95 degree days. We actually found ourselves

I am not a Harry Potter fan, but the theming was incredible. In fact, the overall theming of the parks and rides was far superior to anything you would find at Disney except for very few rides
(Everest, Yeti, etc.) I felt very immersed in the different worlds and, especially, the rides.

There are Coke freestyle machines everywhere. The good thing about this, besides getting a free refill without having to stand in line, was water. They all dispensed water free of charge, so it was

Crowds are a fraction of what you find at Disney. The parks are smaller. Going off-peak you could see everything in two days if you rush, three taking your time. No need to express pass during off
peak.

Rain closes a lot of stuff. More than half of the rides seemed to shut down when it rained or there was the threat of rain.

Lockers, lockers, lockers. You have to put your bags into lockers before getting in line for rides. And the Hulk coaster even had a METAL DETECTOR. This becomes a serious pain because a) the locker
areas get very crowded and b) you just get tired of having to dump all of your stuff. Pretty much any fun ride you have to use a locker.

The app was horrible. I know a lot of people don’t like the Disney one, but Universal’s was far, far, worse. The biggest problems were the filters resetting (so if you wanted to just see IoA rides,
and then looked at shows, when you went back to rides, you’d see both Universal and IoA), and the shows defaulted to map view instead of list view.

The characters were...interesting. Many seemed far older than they should be and many were out of shape. Not body shaming, but Thor shouldn’t have a gut. And the quality of the costumes was like a
high school production.

Speed of lines. Disney really has this down to an artform. Universal lines seemed to move slower given the same number of people.

Lastly, an observation that isn’t a comparison. We found the same items in the resorts to be cheaper than the parks. For example, a Simpsons donut in the parks would be $3, but in the resort $2.

Overall we liked Universal/IoA and are happy we went, but there was no...magic like you find at Disney, so for us, that’s a deal breaker.
Thanks for sharing. Regarding boat rides, I thought Universal had a slow Jurassic boat ride - looked pretty cool on YT videos.

Thanks for sharing. Regarding boat rides, I thought Universal had a slow Jurassic boat ride - looked pretty cool on YT videos.
Not saying you are incorrect, but we did not see that when we were there. There was a boat ride, but it was a water ride...

peak.

high school production.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We are self-proclaimed Disney snobs and for the past 20+ years never even gave Universal a thought. Given the current nature of the Disney Company we finally decided to give Universal a shot this spring. We are really looking forward to something different.

Personally we love both parks. You can't compare the two. It would be like trying to compare and apple and a cucumber. They are both so different and offer a different experience. Disney is more geared for a younger/ mediocre thrill ride experience.

They both have good points and bad points. And it's a very personal thing. Disney is full of nostalgia for many of us. I'm a Gen X and remember eating Sunday supper in the living room at the coffee table watching whatever they were going to show. People are also holding onto the romance and nostalgia of part visits from either childhood or first time visits when there really was great things about the parks. .

Disney had to pull up their socks once Universal locked in on the immersiveness of Harry Potter. Until then, Disney had not even touched that. The newer additions they have are ok - great. Galaxies Edge is great! We loved it. But rest of the park - meh....not great. MK is good. Tired but ok for those of us with the nostalgia of growing up watching all of that is in that park - and dreaming of one day visiting. There are some rides that need to disappear, but because of the nostalgia aspect - Disney can't change them. Carousel of Progress to name one that could go. Disney relies on the nostalgia and romanticized heart-strings so that we will return and fantasize about what we love about them ;) Don't worry...I have them too lol. I love Disney movies.

For us, Universal is the clear winner. It's easier to navigate, plan and overall just relax riding some amazing rides. I'm not glued to my phone, having to constantly trying to access the next ride - because let's be honest - they are trying direct all the people to different areas so it doesn't feel so crowded. Or having to plan out my meals or specialized activity 60+ days out. Trying to nag those coveted ILL so that you don't have to stand in a 3+hr line :sad2:

For us...we have a love of both parks. It's managing expectations and knowing what each park offers. If you expecting that nostalgic spark ( magic ) that you feel when you enter Universal your not going to find that at Universal. But if you have a love for some amazing movie where rides are great - if you bonded with your kids over Harry Potter over the years and when you get to walk through the brick wall into Diagon Alley just like Harry did in the books and the movie and see that first glimpse of it - for me THAT is magical!!!! More magical that anything that Disney offers. Although I LOVE Space Mountain and Pirates - those two rides tug at my heart strings!!!!

It's about finding the magic wherever you are ;)

I find more magic in Seussland and Hogsmeade than I ever felt at Magic Kingdom! It's a personal thing, I agree. I like both amusement companies for what they are.
Seussland felt the most magical to me...not really a HP fan, so while it was impressive, it didn't bring back memories for me :(

I will say it made me want to re-read the HP books :)

I think your assessment is fair and will be uselful to a lot of people. However, I would like to say something in defense of UOR not having things for 3-4 year olds compared to Disney. You are correct when just looking at rides, however, I think Universal does a great job with their play areas (better than Disney). There's Camp Jurassic & Me Ship, The Olive in IOA and Fivel's Playland & Curious George in US. Having just exited that age group with my kids, the play areas are great because kids can get their wiggles out without having to stand in a line and they can play and enjoy as long as they want as well as interact with other kids their age. The play areas are well-themed and have wet areas as well.

Our worst day at UOR has been better than our best day at WDW from my perspective having recently taken my kids to both. The proximity of the Premiere hotels to the parks is clutch (and we stayed at CR and WL at DIsney and it's STILL no comparison). You can spend a TON of $ at Disney and still not get close to the efficiency of and ease of staying at a "lesser" resort at UOR. I will never again wait in a bus line at Disney. It's just miserable and when you add little kids and a stroller it is not worth it, imo.

I think your assessment is fair and will be uselful to a lot of people. However, I would like to say something in defense of UOR not having things for 3-4 year olds compared to Disney. You are correct when just looking at rides, however, I think Universal does a great job with their play areas (better than Disney). There's Camp Jurassic & Me Ship, The Olive in IOA and Fivel's Playland & Curious George in US. Having just exited that age group with my kids, the play areas are great because kids can get their wiggles out without having to stand in a line and they can play and enjoy as long as they want as well as interact with other kids their age. The play areas are well-themed and have wet areas as well.

Our worst day at UOR has been better than our best day at WDW from my perspective having recently taken my kids to both. The proximity of the Premiere hotels to the parks is clutch (and we stayed at CR and WL at DIsney and it's STILL no comparison). You can spend a TON of $ at Disney and still not get close to the efficiency of and ease of staying at a "lesser" resort at UOR. I will never again wait in a bus line at Disney. It's just miserable and when you add little kids and a stroller it is not worth it, imo.
I agree 100% with all of this...

Good observations! I'm 54 and have been going to Disney parks since before I can remember. We were also a Disney Only family, with a past Universal trip over 20 years ago. We finally went back in 2021 and now we are hooked. We are huge Potter fans and the ease and enjoyment of Universal over Disney is what made us switch. We found the hotel staff and park employees to be very friendly and the parks were clean and well-kept. The magic is not there for us at Disney anymore. I do, however, look forward to my Butterbeer.

Good observations! I'm 54 and have been going to Disney parks since before I can remember. We were also a Disney Only family, with a past Universal trip over 20 years ago. We finally went back in 2021 and now we are hooked. We are huge Potter fans and the ease and enjoyment of Universal over Disney is what made us switch. We found the hotel staff and park employees to be very friendly and the parks were clean and well-kept. The magic is not there for us at Disney anymore. I do, however, look forward to my Butterbeer.
LOL, my wife fell in love with Butterbeer. I'm 56 and can't tolerate caramel and butterscotch anymore so only had a few sips but it was pretty amazing. I'll also say the fudge was just as good as Disney but had *way* better flavors.

I was lucky enough to do WDW in December, DL in January, and then Universal this month, so the comparison between the three is fresh in my mind. I think if Universal did something to make it so I didn't have to use so many lockers, I'd put it equal to DL.

Honestly, I hope *everyone* likes Universal better than Disney so WDW crowds will go down some :)

Your comment is similar to a lot I've seen about Universal being cheaper than Disney. This is not the case for the trip I just booked for our family next year. We are going in May and the tickets per-day are more expensive at Universal. The hotel was less, but may be equal if we are able to get a room discount for our Disney hotel. Have the prices gone up recently, and so opinions are from past experiences when this was true?
And I should have added one other thing Universal does better - it's *way* cheaper than WDW.

Your comment is similar to a lot I've seen about Universal being cheaper than Disney. This is not the case for the trip I just booked for our family next year. We are going in May and the tickets per-day are more expensive at Universal. The hotel was less, but may be equal if we are able to get a room discount for our Disney hotel. Have the prices gone up recently, and so opinions are from past experiences when this was true?
Wow...I'm pretty shocked about that. I just priced Universal for the Ides of March and got $213 for a 4 day ticket ($256 for Park to Park)...WDW was $496 ($575 for Park Hopper).

What were the prices you saw?

I will also say this...to get the "true" Disney experience you need to...

a) Stay on property, otherwise you won't get in early (no option to buy to get in) and can't buy lighting lanes as early as others

b) Pay even more and stay at at better property, otherwise you won't get to stay late

c) Pay $15pppd for Genie+, otherwise good luck riding anything

d) Pay $10-$20pp for each of the 2 rides that Genie+ doesn't cover

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter