Tipping suggestion on receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, those suggestions basically serve two purposes. The first one is to make the math easier for everyone, because, you know, math is hard. The second is to try to guilt people into thinking 18-20% isn't acceptable anymore, when it is.
There was a time when 10% was acceptable, then it wasn't and 15% was the new acceptable. Then 18% was acceptable. Now it's 20%. Tomorrow it will be 22%.

It already costs a fortune to eat out. It wasn't long ago when I could take the family out for $50. I got divorced 4 years ago and 4 years ago I paid $70 or so for 4 of us. Now I take the 2 kids and my oldest's boyfriend and it's over $100, plus the tip.

It wasn't long ago when I could take the family out for $50. I got divorced 4 years ago and 4 years ago I paid $70 or so for 4 of us. Now I take the 2 kids and my oldest's boyfriend and it's over $100, plus the tip.
So not only is the tip more because the percentage is higher it is more because the amount you tip on is more too.

As a visitor to the US I’m grateful for the suggestions. All trip I’ve been commenting how good you must all be at adding!

That said, I look forward to returning home where the sticker or menu price is all you pay. In Australia, prices include tax by law and we don’t tip as the minimum wage (for all adult workers) is nearing $20. It makes things sound cheaper here but then you pay and it’s actually the same or higher.

However I think the tipping culture is so ingrained here even if the minimum wage was a living wage tipping would still be around.

My hubby and I are good tippers. We usually tip at least 20%(including the tax amount) and usually a bit more rounded up. We understand how hard of a job it is and we are friendly so we usually get really good service. I can only recall 1 time in the last 24 years that our service was so horribly bad that we left a very small amount. But that is not the norm.
Conversely, I can only recall a handful of times a server came back to the table other than once to ask how the food was usually before anyone had time to take a bite. 90% of the time any more, you have to ration your 10 ounces of ice and 2 ounces of drink during the whole meal because you're not getting any more.

Last time I ate out was just 2 of us, I think $50-55 was the bill. The waiter was VERY busy! He started us out with water glasses and a bottle left at the table. I had a beer, that's all I needed, but he stopped at least 4 times to see if I wanted another beer and to refill my date's drink. I don't tip on percentages, but am aware of roughly what the percentage I tip is. He got almost a 50% tip from me. Can't remember the last time I had any drinks refilled in a restaurant or saw a server except for dropping our plates, then on the way back before we can take a bite, stop to ask how it was.

As a visitor to the US I’m grateful for the suggestions. All trip I’ve been commenting how good you must all be at adding!

That said, I look forward to returning home where the sticker or menu price is all you pay. In Australia, prices include tax by law and we don’t tip as the minimum wage (for all adult workers) is nearing $20. It makes things sound cheaper here but then you pay and it’s actually the same or higher.

However I think the tipping culture is so ingrained here even if the minimum wage was a living wage tipping would still be around.

Joycelyn, I've just checked on Fairwork Australia and you are correct - here in Australia waitstaff over 20 years old earn $20.82 per hour (then $26.03ph on Saturdays, $31.23ph on Sundays and $46.85ph on public holidays) if they are part time. Casuals earn $26.03ph flat rate.

Maybe some of the differences in opinions come about b/c of where ppl eat. I saw a few ppl mention not so great experiences at Olive Garden & Chilis. We have a TON of local places here so we rarely if ever eat places like that & that’s about what I would expect of servers there. Many places we regularly eat have staff who have been there for years & provide great service so tipping is just not something that bothers us.

Maybe some of the differences in opinions come about b/c of where ppl eat. I saw a few ppl mention not so great experiences at Olive Garden & Chilis. We have a TON of local places here so we rarely if ever eat places like that & that’s about what I would expect of servers there. Many places we regularly eat have staff who have been there for years & provide great service so tipping is just not something that bothers us.
I haven't heard that people say it bothers them when they give examples. I've seen people give examples for poor service that equated to a lower or virtually non-existent tip.

I expect, personally speaking, the same type of service at places. We've had poor service from people who have worked at a place for many years-often it's because they've worked for many years that they become at the end of their rope, sometimes the environment has soured too. We've received great service from new employees too.

But alas I guess utopias do exist :)

I haven't heard that people say it bothers them when they give examples. I've seen people give examples for poor service that equated to a lower or virtually non-existent tip.

I expect, personally speaking, the same type of service at places. We've had poor service from people who have worked at a place for many years-often it's because they've worked for many years that they become at the end of their rope, sometimes the environment has soured too. We've received great service from new employees too.

But alas I guess utopias do exist :)
I guess I meant more that here I don’t expect decent service at those places. Here that is one step above fast food & they hire similar personnel & have similar high turnover.

Suggested can be helpful to some people when they know what they are paying for.

For instance if you personally care if it's off of pre or post tax it's going to matter how that suggested tip is figured out, which like I mentioned in my previous comment IME most have it figured off post-tax which is not the way I personally tip.

In terms of the sticker or menu we have that, maybe not in restaurants though but in retail places, where sales tax doesn't apply. That's not the case where I live where we pay the same sales tax (except sin tax applies to certain things) for everything. I remember when I visited NYC for the first time I needed gel insoles and when I brought it up to the cashier my total was $14.99 which was what the cost was listed but that was actually my cost. I was shocked lol because honestly I hadn't really experienced the no-sales tax thing from an actual retailer before.

But no tip at restaurants does sounds nice though!

I guess I meant more that here I don’t expect decent service at those places. Here that is one step above fast food & they hire similar personnel & have similar high turnover.
Eating at those style of places it's still dependent on individual servers. I've been to some ritzy and some very very local places with straight up terrible servers. Like I said though maybe utopias do exist where there's just never or rarely bad service at those *better* places.

Eating at those style of places it's still dependent on individual servers. I've been to some ritzy and some very very local places with straight up terrible servers. Like I said though maybe utopias do exist where there's just never or rarely bad service at those *better* places.
I’m sure there are nice places with terrible service. We eat at some of the same places regularly b/c of the quality of the food & service. They’re not fancy or expensive. We try to stay away from places with notoriously bad service & here that’s chili’s, outback, & similar chains.

I’m sure there are nice places with terrible service. We eat at some of the same places regularly b/c of the quality of the food & service. They’re not fancy or expensive. We try to stay away from places with notoriously bad service & here that’s chili’s, outback, & similar chains.
Well I understand avoiding places that you've found to have bad service, we do that too but 1) we have to have gone there to be able to determine that it has poor and consistently poor service 2) we don't avoid by style of place like it appears you do, we may avoid this particular Steak 'N Shake location for a while if we've noticed bad service or we know Chili's can have slow service (not necessarily poor just slow) but we don't discount all places. Maybe a difference is in my case some of it is down to location specific. Like a location in X area of my metro may have poorer service than Y area of my metro.

Your original comment just came off to me as a not so nice way so I was responding to that :flower3:

I visited Australia once and eating out was such a pleasant experience. I never had bad service (and we ate out nearly every meal)- everyone was so friendly and helpful. So whenever I hear the suggestion that without tipping we’d get worse service, I think about how that person must have never eaten outside of the US.

Also I loved that the prices all included the tax. That was amazing.

Local restaurant here had suggestions that started at 25%-30%-35% it was actually a huge turn off and they caught flack for it, enough so they backed it down to 20%-25%-30%. Its a great spot, but its not high end dining I'd equate it to a better Red Robin. The owners have tried to spin it like it's how great they think their staff are, but it's still had an negative impact. Bad enough that I ran into one of their previous servers that left because of the flack he got and how it negatively impacted his tips.

I visited Australia once and eating out was such a pleasant experience. I never had bad service (and we ate out nearly every meal)- everyone was so friendly and helpful. So whenever I hear the suggestion that without tipping we’d get worse service, I think about how that person must have never eaten outside of the US.

Also I loved that the prices all included the tax. That was amazing.
I actually tend to agree that service is a little better in Australia than here. But I think that may be cultural differences.

My DD is 16 and works as a waitress in a small diner. Our minimum wage for servers is $3.52 an hour. She typically works 12-16 hours a week, and they have to tax her as if she's making the regular minimum wage in the state per hour. She works the slow dinner hours (it's mostly a breakfast/lunch joint) and makes $30-40 a shift in tips typically. Then has to tip her busser out of that.

Her last 2 week check after taxes was $28. She's fine because she's 16 and works for extra spending money, but does work with single moms who do have to live on those wages. It's one reason I do tip on the high side - I have it, and they're working for me for that hour or so I'm in the restaurant.

Her last 2 week check after taxes was $28. She's fine because she's 16 and works for extra spending money, but does work with single moms who do have to live on those wages. It's one reason I do tip on the high side - I have it, and they're working for me for that hour or so I'm in the restaurant.

One of my best friends is a server at Texas Roadhouse. In KY, server wage is $2.13. She reports her cash tips daily so that she pays the correct taxes on those, so when she actually gets her "paycheck", it is almost always $0. She is solely supporting her family off her tips.

Conversely, I can only recall a handful of times a server came back to the table other than once to ask how the food was usually before anyone had time to take a bite. 90% of the time any more, you have to ration your 10 ounces of ice and 2 ounces of drink during the whole meal because you're not getting any more.

Last time I ate out was just 2 of us, I think $50-55 was the bill. The waiter was VERY busy! He started us out with water glasses and a bottle left at the table. I had a beer, that's all I needed, but he stopped at least 4 times to see if I wanted another beer and to refill my date's drink. I don't tip on percentages, but am aware of roughly what the percentage I tip is. He got almost a 50% tip from me. Can't remember the last time I had any drinks refilled in a restaurant or saw a server except for dropping our plates, then on the way back before we can take a bite, stop to ask how it was.
Most servers here are very attentive. If my water glass gets down to half full, someone is filling it up. We never eat at chain restaurants, all independent. Maybe it’s the $2.13 minimum wage...

My DD is 16 and works as a waitress in a small diner. Our minimum wage for servers is $3.52 an hour. She typically works 12-16 hours a week, and they have to tax her as if she's making the regular minimum wage in the state per hour. She works the slow dinner hours (it's mostly a breakfast/lunch joint) and makes $30-40 a shift in tips typically. Then has to tip her busser out of that.

Does that two week check include the tips? Officially, employers are supposed to cover up to the minimum wage if the tipped employee is not making minimum wage with tips. (In practice, many people are fearful of losing their jobs if they complain.)

Most servers here are very attentive. If my water glass gets down to half full, someone is filling it up. We never eat at chain restaurants, all independent. Maybe it’s the $2.13 minimum wage...
This has been our experience here too with the exception of a few places that we stay away from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter