Tipping Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone wants to make a "living wage", shouldn't that be up to them to get the education needed to get a higher paying job or seek out a higher paying job? Not the goodness or benevolence of someone else?

If it makes you feel better to not leave a tip, and believe that you are absolutely justified by thinking it's their own fault for being housekeepers, by all means keep on leaving nothing.

For me? Not tipping feels selfish and wrong -- so no matter how much I'm told that it's not necessary or that it's not what Disney wants, I'll continue to leave a tip because to me, it's about sharing my good fortune with somebody else.

If it makes you feel better to not leave a tip, and believe that you are absolutely justified by thinking it's their own fault for being housekeepers, by all means keep on leaving nothing.

For me? Not tipping feels selfish and wrong -- so no matter how much I'm told that it's not necessary or that it's not what Disney wants, I'll continue to leave a tip because to me, it's about sharing my good fortune with somebody else.

It's not a matter of being anyone's fault, it's what they've chosen as their job based on their skill and educational level.

Yet you're judging them as if they were single parents with 3 kids struggling to make ends meet doing the only job they could find.

It's a low level paying job, it's a low skill job. Just like hundred of thousands of others.

Do you tour your local factories and tip the people working on minimum wage in there?

I can only hope that you tip your childrens teachers every day, because otherwise clearly you don't appreciate them. How about the doctors and nurses last time you went into hospital?

Or do you not appreciate them as much as the person who is paid to make your bed for you for 2 weeks

My childrens teachers, including my sister in-law make over $55K a year. My wife who's a nurse makes $65K a year.

Your argument holds no water. If you don't want to tip, don't.

But saying that people who make only a little bit of money are in that position because they choose to be and had opportunities for better, because you and I don't know!

And I'm not judging them. I know I don't know anything about them. I know they work hard. I know I appreciate a nice clean room when I'm on vacation.

And I also know I'd rather tip a low paid hard worker than have my taxes go to those who choose not to get of their *** and work.

Well maybe by WDW standards they aren't bartenders, but ironically, they provide the same service. The guy pouring my Guiness or Geary's at the stand is doing the exact same job as the guy inside.

No they don't. If you ask the guy inside to mix you a martini, he can do that. He isn't there just to pull the tap. Different job. Different training.

And I also know I'd rather tip a low paid hard worker than have my taxes go to those who choose not to get of their *** and work.

So if you don't tip $5, the taxes are going to be raised?
And peopel were asking if Disney allowed it? apparantly tipping is mandatory at a FEDERAL level now.

Once again Mousekeepers are not on minimum wage, plenty of people are. why only tip Mousekeepers rather than the guy who works in the factory?

And peopel were asking if Disney allowed it? apparantly tipping is mandatory at a FEDERAL level now.

Once again Mousekeepers are not on minimum wage, plenty of people are. why only tip Mousekeepers rather than the guy who works in the factory?

I think the point that poster was trying to make is that the mousekeepers and other similar jobs are working at a job with lower wages, which is better than not having a job and collecting welfare. Or at least that's my interpretation.

That is completely inappropriate for a reservations cm to make that comment.

In all the years I've been going to WDW, making reservations through WDW, I've never had a cm say anything even remotely close to that. Not saying it didn't happen, but I've never encountered it.

I'm not tipping anyone just because a cm tells me to. I'll tip as I see fit.

I was a bit surprised myself, but :confused3, that's what she said.

we used to leave it when we checked out but then seen that mousekeepers change every so many days so we started tipping each day so that maid that cleaned that day would get it.

It's not a matter of being anyone's fault, it's what they've chosen as their job based on their skill and educational level.

OR it is the only job they could find that fit the hours they are available to work, or is the the type of job available where they live. I know many people with college degrees who are working lower paying jobs because that is what is available right now.

Tip or don't tip, it is up to each person to decide. But don't try and blame the person you are choosing not to tip. Own your decision.

:sad2:

I tip them, as a server I realize how they work their butts off for very little pay.. Dont get me wrong, after serving tables for 14 years I dont do bad..but I work very very hard to make the money I make and its not stable.. I can make good one day and very poor the next..whats a few bucks a day!!!!

This point of view ignores the fact that especially over the last few years many people have taken jobs for which they're overqualified (and underpaid) simply to HAVE jobs - whether it's pride, or necessity, or self-esteem.

Your sarcasm is showing. That's not what's being said, and you know it.

But since you asked - the factory worker doesn't provide a direct, personal service for me. Now, the tour guide on the other hand?

Wow, this thread has life, does it not? I'm surprised this isn't a poll, I think it should have started out that way.

Again, I tip, $5 a day, and it's because I tip for personal service things, and I think housekeeping falls into that category . I don't want to go on and on, but they're (a lot of) are parking attendants and bartenders that make more than attorney's. Why is that? Lack of education? Hah!! in fact I know an attorney that moved to Hawaii and makes more parking cars than.....oh well. Why? because they EARN IT! People earn money in different ways, and to point fingers about why people make too much or too little....????. .... Housekeeping, bartenders, vs Chevron, Facebook execs..., my goodness. Who works harder? Who DESERVES it more? Hey , that's another great poll.!

but, back to the point... maybe we could ask the housekeeping if they want to go to school, or if they know English, or what they want to do, or what they wished they'd done. Maybe a green card? you decide if you think if they deserve it, then you can decide why you will or won't tip.

I don't have as many posts as many others, and maybe I'm getting old, but this topics makes me feel lie I was born on another planet. ....

Regardless, I'm more amazed at the life , and debate of this topic on the on Disboards.

The main thing is we're all DW fans, and I hope you are all having a magical weekend

! :goodvibes

This point of view ignores the fact that especially over the last few years many people have taken jobs for which they're overqualified (and underpaid) simply to HAVE jobs - whether it's pride, or necessity, or self-esteem.

This is such a true statement. I have a son with some medical issues and I can no longer do what I trained to do because I need to be with him during the day. This makes us much tighter than we are used to and I have considered taking a low wage job at night just to help out. Hopefully I can go back to my regular job at some point which earns a heck of a lot more. You just never know.

Also, to give a reply to the several who asked why you would tip one type of position (like a maid) and not others (like a cashier), my answer would be because that is what is done as a general rule. Do a google search for who should you tip.

Does it make sense to tip based on what society says? Maybe not. Personally, I wish they would just pay them a reasonable wage.

For those making a stand to not tip minimum wage jobs when we don't tip everyone. I really do get that. It's totally annoying how many you have to tip nowadays. We certainly didn't do that when I was younger! You could count me in with the group who doesn't want to.

But I will still tip and I will tip well. Because in the end, the only ones who will suffer are the housekeepers. I highly doubt the CEOs will up their wages if everyone stopped tipping. These people work hard and deserve to make more than what they do. Obviously, not everyone agrees with that and some seem to think they are over-paid. :sad2:

So do what you feel is right.

:worship:

Wow, this thread has life, does it not? I'm surprised this isn't a poll, I think it should have started out that way.

Again, I tip, $5 a day, and it's because I tip for personal service things, and I think housekeeping falls into that category . I don't want to go on and on, but they're (a lot of) are parking attendants and bartenders that make more than attorney's. Why is that? Lack of education? Hah!! in fact I know an attorney that moved to Hawaii and makes more parking cars than.....oh well. Why? because they EARN IT! People earn money in different ways, and to point fingers about why people make too much or too little....????. .... Housekeeping, bartenders, vs Chevron, Facebook execs..., my goodness. Who works harder? Who DESERVES it more? Hey , that's another great poll.!

but, back to the point... maybe we could ask the housekeeping if they want to go to school, or if they know English, or what they want to do, or what they wished they'd done. Maybe a green card? you decide if you think if they deserve it, then you can decide why you will or won't tip.

I don't have as many posts as many others, and maybe I'm getting old, but this topics makes me feel lie I was born on another planet. ....

Regardless, I'm more amazed at the life , and debate of this topic on the on Disboards.

The main thing is we're all DW fans, and I hope you are all having a magical weekend

! :goodvibes

If someone wants to make a "living wage", shouldn't that be up to them to get the education needed to get a higher paying job or seek out a higher paying job? Not the goodness or benevolence of someone else?

I'm not talking about charity here, come on! You make it sound like they are lining the hallways with their hands out.

And how do you know they haven't gone to college and have had trouble finding a job in their field? There is a record rate of unemployment across the country, in case you hadn't heard! I'd be willing to be that some of the CMs might be qualified for "better" jobs but have chosen to work for their dollars instead of collecting a welfare check.

The majority probably did not attend college and may or may not have had the option to. I'm sure some could be doing better financially if they had gone to med school...

But I don't find it outrageous to offer someone a few dollars a day for cleaning up my room.

AGAIN, I am not saying that everyone should or should not tip. I want to offer them a tip for a job well done and so I do. If you don't believe in it, by all means, skip it.

It is very apparent tipping housekeepers/mousekeepers is a personal choice. I for one, do tip the mousekeepers. We usually leave $5 a day. My first job at DW was as a housekeeper (don't recall the term Mousekeeper back in '89) for the cabins at Fort Wilderness campground. I recall I made a pretty good wage back then, something just over $5 an hour. I was very happy with that considering it was above minimum and something I could live on as a single 19 year old with a room to split half the bills. lol As for tips, they were few and far between I have to admit. I had some great families who gave me as much as $25 at the end of the week (when it was me who cleaned all week) and then there the majority who left nothing. BUT, my job was not a 'tipped' position. I was never told I would get them, nor did I expect them. Now that I am the one going I feel they deserve that extra something to brighten their day and maybe help them out a bit. It really is a thankless job at times, especially when the family is really messy! lol ;) With that said, I just booked my December stay at POFQ (with free dining) for me and dd. The CM booking it "specifically" mentioned "and please remember to tip your bell hops, wait staff and mousekeepers, as their tips are not included in the price of your MYW package. So, she did include the mousekeepers.

WOW! The nerve of some people! I'm a "tipper" but at the same time if someone ever said that to me, I would likely go in the other direction! That's just plain old offensive.

I've never had a CM at reservations say that to me... Holy cow! I was told, however, that CL staff were not allowed to accept tips when I booked my upcoming trip!

cjsm&d said:
My childrens teachers, including my sister in-law make over $55K a year. My wife who's a nurse makes $65K a year.

Your argument holds no water. If you don't want to tip, don't.

But saying that people who make only a little bit of money are in that position because they choose to be and had opportunities for better, because you and I don't know!

And I'm not judging them. I know I don't know anything about them. I know they work hard. I know I appreciate a nice clean room when I'm on vacation.

Not chiming in at all on whether someone should tip or not but not all teacher salaries begin there. Where I live it is around 32K. I have taught 10 years have a Masters Degree and am just now making 45K. Not the best for the amount o schooling I have but it is what I chose to do.

Considering the OP simply asked what an appropriate tip amount would be, we are way, way, way off topic. This thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter