Tipping overload?

But, OK, pay people a guaranteed fair wage, and make tipping optional for good service.

And, FYI, a lot of terrible commission jobs have terrible base salaries. As a college freshman, I had a "job" going door to door trying to sign people up for newspaper subscriptions. Yeah, it had a "base salary" and you made extra money for every subscription. If they canceled before 2 months or so, they clawed that money back: you could literally walk a neighborhood all evening, and end up owing them money at the end of it if you were particularly unlucky. It was not "magical". People were often not thrilled to be visited by a newspaper salesman. Their "tip" would be to get the heck off their lawn...

But it paid for my books and ramen. :-)
Every time I hear comments similar to yours it makes me think of people who are long since "in the game".

Every time I hear comments similar to yours it makes me think of people who are long since "in the game".
The newspaper sales game? I don't even think those jobs exist anymore. But, yeah, it's funny how you cherish those memories years later. I still remember the people that rode that van with me, night after night.

The newspaper sales game? I don't even think those jobs exist anymore. But, yeah, it's funny how you cherish those memories years later. I still remember the people that rode that van with me, night after night.
Funny but I actually do know people who used to deliver newspapers and they were on a commission-based structure. Their jobs were to assembling the paper ads that go inside the newspapers that were already otherwise assembled then deliver them for which they got a base pay for it plus per paper amount.

But really my comment was just to say eventually something (presumably) many decades ago probably isn't going to give you the best idea. Even my retail experience from over 17 years ago is nearly obsolete these days.

Part of my aggravation with the tipping structure is that we've seen tips creeeeeeepppp up from the standard 15% to now 30% or more!! When's is going to become cost prohibitive to go out to eat? When tips exceed over half the cost of the meal? It's just crazy.

Part of my aggravation with the tipping structure is that we've seen tips creeeeeeepppp up from the standard 15% to now 30% or more!! When's is going to become cost prohibitive to go out to eat? When tips exceed over half the cost of the meal? It's just crazy.
I remember we used to go to a restaurant in Vienna where you just paid whatever you wanted for the food. So, the food was effectively free and you only paid the tip, I guess :-)

I just now Googled it, and I'm pretty sure this is the place: http://deewan.at/

I seem to recall that Clifton's in Downtown LA also used to allow people to pay whatever they wished.

I wonder if that concept would still work in Orlando, today? Can you imagine a restaurant in EPCOT where you just ate whatever you wanted, and then paid whatever you felt it was worth to you?

At $100 to go out to eat at a crappy place like Applebees, plus now at least a $22 tip, the cost 'prohibitiveness' is already here and has been for quite a few years.

Are you seeing 30% for non-fine dining?

I remember we used to go to a restaurant in Vienna where you just paid whatever you wanted for the food. So, the food was effectively free and you only paid the tip, I guess :-)

I just now Googled it, and I'm pretty sure this is the place: http://deewan.at/

I seem to recall that Clifton's in Downtown LA also used to allow people to pay whatever they wished.

I wonder if that concept would still work in Orlando, today? Can you imagine a restaurant in EPCOT where you just ate whatever you wanted, and then paid whatever you felt it was worth to you?
Unfortunately what people would do is stiff the server for things that are not under their control. Many people have issues with quality of food at Disney but that's not the server's fault. The portion size isn't either. The cost of the food isn't either. So pay what you feel in many places would end up punitive to the wrong person.

Are you seeing 30% for non-fine dining?
Interesting that servers
Unfortunately what people would do is stiff the server for things that are not under their control. Many people have issues with quality of food at Disney but that's not the server's fault. The portion size isn't either. The cost of the food isn't either. So pay what you feel in many places would end up punitive to the wrong person.
Well, no, because the "tip jar" would be for the entire experience. Food, service, ambiance, entertainment, etc. And all of the Cast Members that contributed to that experience would get a share.

Furthermore, how about making it an AP only restaurant. And if you don't tip, that's fine, but you can't eat there again. Not that you'd want to, if it was so bad that it didn't warrant payment, right?

I almost think that would work. It'd be pretty interesting to try.

I've actually seen it at our local brew-pub! My DH was shocked!
Is it a brewery place like where they make their own beer? or like an Applebee's?

I can see how a higher tip happened at a place where they make their own beer or spirits because that's more in line with a bartender but def. can't see the point in tipping that high at an Applebee's or sports bar place like Buffalo Wild Wings!

I tend to agree. The 20% tip that we left on dinner at one of our seafood restaurants in town was around $20-$25 as the meal including wine was around $115. That same meal with wine is now around $250, so the tip amount has increased. I just don't see why I should increase the %. Maybe I'm cheap. I always tip breakfast servers a higher percentage, since the meal is much lower cost and those people work as hard or harder (refilling coffee multiple times?) compared to dinner servers.

Well, no, because the "tip jar" would be for the entire experience. Food, service, ambiance, entertainment, etc. And all of the Cast Members that contributed to that experience would get a share.

Furthermore, how about making it an AP only restaurant. And if you don't tip, that's fine, but you can't eat there again. Not that you'd want to, if it was so bad that it didn't warrant payment, right?

I almost think that would work. It'd be pretty interesting to try.
There's no way you take a tipping culture that it is and try and turn it around on its head like that. Of course people are going to tip off of what they feel the food is like. It's probably the main reason people withhold tips or tip lower.

In order to even make your hypothesis work you have to remove things that are out of the CM's control because otherwise these things are directly related to it. They don't create the ambiance-Disney does. They don't create the entertainment-Disney does that by what they come up with and hire (if there's any music made or scripts given to the CMs). They don't create the food choices or prices (of which are a primary complaint to most)-Disney does. You're primarily back to service and good luck getting people to strictly only consider how their server was.

By all means though you've got a business plan--go and enact that and let us know how it works ;)

There's no way you take a tipping culture that it is and try and turn it around on its head like that. Of course people are going to tip off of what they feel the food is like. It's probably the main reason people withhold tips or tip lower.

In order to even make your hypothesis work you have to remove things that are out of the CM's control because otherwise these things are directly related to it. They don't create the ambiance-Disney does. They don't create the entertainment-Disney does that by what they come up with and hire (if there's any music made or scripts given to the CMs). They don't create the food choices or prices (of which are a primary complaint to most)-Disney does. You're primarily back to service and good luck getting people to strictly only consider how their server was.

By all means though you've got a business plan--go and enact that and let us know how it works ;)
Wait, to be clear, my proposal is that you'd be tipping the restaurant, not the server. There would be no separate line item for the server anymore. You'd be tipping for the overall experience, including the food and etc., at the end of your meal.

And, again, if you didn't pay for the meal, you wouldn't be able to return. You'd basically have to present your pass to a reader and specify how much you'd like to pay, and the credit card associated with the pass would be charged that amount. If you paid more or less than average, you'd get a survey asking you "why?"

It would be kind of like an AP Only Lounge, with a "free" buffet and etc., in EPCOT. We already kind of had that but it is sponsored, and only snacks were served. So, it's not *that* much of a stretch.

To be honest, if Disney offered that, I'd totally go. And I would gladly pay for it. I bet a lot of Passholders would. Rather than constantly squeezing us for more money for less, wouldn't it be wonderful if Disney actually made an effort to give us good value? Yeah...it'll never happen.

Wait, to be clear, my proposal is that you'd be tipping the restaurant, not the server. There would be no separate line item for the server anymore. You'd be tipping for the overall experience, including the food and etc., at the end of your meal.

And, again, if you didn't pay for the meal, you wouldn't be able to return. You'd basically have to present your pass to a reader and specify how much you'd like to pay, and the credit card associated with the pass would be charged that amount. If you paid more or less than average, you'd get a survey asking you "why?"

It would be kind of like an AP Only Lounge, with a "free" buffet and etc., in EPCOT. We already kind of had that but it is sponsored, and only snacks were served. So, it's not *that* much of a stretch.

To be honest, if Disney offered that, I'd totally go. And I would gladly pay for it. I bet a lot of Passholders would. Rather than constantly squeezing us for more money for less, wouldn't it be wonderful if Disney actually made an effort to give us good value? Yeah...it'll never happen.
In your comment you said the CMs that contributed to all what you listed would get a share, I'm saying majority of the stuff are out of their control. In order for your plan to work all the employees have to be responsible themselves for the items you listed rather than an over-reaching employer. Otherwise you're being punitive towards the wrong person. Anywho, have fun with the planning and all

most if not all of the privately owned and chain places around us use automated payment systems that have only shown the options of percentages of 20/30 or 'customize' on the screens for the last couple of years. an actual paper bill from a place lists the amounts for each of those percentages at the bottom of the bill (and 9 times out of 10 it is based on THE GROSS of the bill which in an area with just shy of a 10 percent f&b sales tax increases that tip substantially).

i don't blame the servers but i do feel it's manipulative tip wise in that in order to do the 'customize' option on the automated card reader it takes several additional steps, all with the server standing right next to you (they can't and won't leave that reader unattended).

There is not enough laughing emoji's that I can add to this comment at seeing 30% as a suggested option.
I had to tell my DD, after she over tipped, that when they give her an electronic pad with tip options that she doesn't "have to" choose one of them and that she can always select Custom tip. I am with others, pay them an adequate wage and get rid of tipping.

In your comment you said the CMs that contributed to all what you listed would get a share, I'm saying majority of the stuff are out of their control. In order for your plan to work all the employees have to be responsible themselves for the items you listed rather than an over-reaching employer. Otherwise you're being punitive towards the wrong person. Anywho, have fun with the planning and all
Yup, for this to work, Disney would have to be willing to "play fair", and provide the necessary infrastructure and supplies, including food to the specs of the CMs creating the buffet, at a reasonable overhead cost. And Disney would need to give the Cast Members enough autonomy and empower them to provide an excellent experience for the Passholder Guests.

Anything that the lounge would take in beyond Disney's overhead would go to the Cast Members working in the lounge. They would also get a guaranteed minimum salary and benefits.

Again, the point of this would be to effectively "give back" to the Passholders. Give them a wonderful lounge where they could hang out and have bite to eat. They would pay what they thought it was worth, and as much as possible of that would go directly to all of the Cast Members directly involved in creating that experience, rather than just Disney shareholders and upper management. If they did an amazing job, they'd hopefully make a very decent take. As well they should.

Obviously, Disney would never agree to doing this, because providing an excellent experience and good value for Passholders, or fairly compensating Cast Members, is only a business goal when it is forced on them. And, lately, they've been able to largely avoid doing either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter