Tipping overload?

I never minded tipping restaurant servers, but agree the suggested amounts are crazy now. The higher tip amounts always seem to come up at higher priced restaurants too. The server at a local diner works as hard or harder than the server at a high end restaurant. The high end places usually have busers & sometimes help with serving too while the diner has the server doing it all. But the diner server gets a fraction of the tip because the food is cheaper. At least that’s how it is where I am anyway. We almost always tip 20%, but I am getting close to dropping that amount. Servers here are making more per hour & restaurant prices are going up. We’re generally out of most places in 60 - 90 minutes. I can’t see tipping $30-40 for an hour’s work, just because we got steaks instead of pasta.

I think that’s the part that annoys me. Fine, I’ll tip 20 bucks or something. But again, tipping a server the equivalent of the hourly rate I made as a certified RN consultant with 40+ years of experience just because we chose an expensive restaurant or meal seems crazy to me. I don’t tip at take out places or anyplace that has a tip jar.

The stylist who does my hair has space in a small salon, no employees, just 3 private stylists with their own clients & hours who work out of a shared space. I followed her when she went private from a national chain. At that time I was giving her $20 on an $80 charge. She has slowly increased her price about $15 but I still just tack $20 onto what she charges. I mean, she’s getting all the money, not paying it out to anyone else. She increases prices when her supplies go up. I just don’t see needing to increase my tip because her supplies increased when I’m already paying for those increases by way of a higher price.

Last year I had Zerorez come clean my carpets. It was a few hundred dollars and when I paid at the end there was clearly a line to tip. I found that odd and awkward with the guy standing right there as I paid. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: shh
I feel like I have started to tip more post-COVID. Restraunts are so short staffed, most have to close a day or 2 a week now. So as long as I have decent service I'm probably tipping 25-30%. But, we do not go out to eat normally. Just when we travel and we have always had amazing service. If the service was horrible then I would not tip that much.

But I don't tip the random tip jars when they do nothing for me. I was at an airport gift shop recently. Not a food/beverage cart, but a shop that sold trinkets and crap, they actually had a tip jar sitting out at the register. For what? For me to buy the magazine, nope you don't need a tip.

What's a living wage? I lived on my wage for 40+ years and now McDonalds starting pay is within $2 an hour of my highest hourly wage.
You’re on a Disney board yet never made more than $20 an hour???

You must have married very well, sir. Congrats!

You’re on a Disney board yet never made more than $20 an hour???

You must have married very well, sir. Congrats!
McDonalds pays way more than $20 here. And I did marry well, but my wife worked in TV too for the sale wage I made. We paid our bills, put two kids through college, and were able to retire at ages 64 and 63. The key to financial success isn't all income, it's spending wisely.

McDonalds pays way more than $20 here. And I did marry well, but my wife worked in TV too for the sale wage I made. We paid our bills, put two kids through college, and were able to retire at ages 64 and 63. The key to financial success isn't all income, it's spending wisely.
I don’t even know what to say except that it seems very disrespectful to the struggle of those who work for low wages to say that you could do all that, retire early, and travel on McDonald’s wages. You are a wonder.

Last edited:
I don’t even know what to say except that it seems very disrespectful to the struggle of those who work for low wages to say that you could do all that, retire early, and travel on McDonald’s wages. You are a wonder.
I have no idea how that could be disrespectful. Just the facts. And I know others who have done the same on a lot less money.

Last edited:

View attachment 721053
Canadian minimum wages are in many cases that much or higher and if there are any jurisdictions that allow for a lower wage for tipped positions; I'm not aware of them. Certainly not here in Alberta. Yet we are affronted by the current 18%/20%/22% suggested tip amounts automatically on every payment machines. :sad2: Seriously, how much pay is enough for a service job? A server at a low-to-mid-level restaurant here, where a fairly simple entree and non-alcoholic beverage will run around $22/pp, serving four tables (presume 12 customers) an hour, being tipped at the lowest suggest rate of 18%, will make $47.50/hr in tips, plus their $15 wage. Anybody here think that's under-paid for the role?

Many servers don’t want a higher hourly wage and no tips. They make more, often much much more, the way it currently is.

Maybe not the $47 per hour in your example, but easily $30 to $35.

I guess only wealthy people are allowed on a Disney board 🤷‍♀️

Disney has always hated poor people. ;)

I thought the 22% was bad when it started popping up. I think 20% is bad. It use to be 10-15% when I was growing up.
My father was a long time 10% tipper. That’s how it was when he was younger and by golly that’s how it should still be. I don’t remember when 15% became the norm but it took my mother at least five years to cajole him to increase his tips.

My grandfather lived the last few years of his life with us. He was a strict dollar tipper. When we’d go to a restaurant he’d pay and leave a dollar tip. Even circa 1982 when the tab for 4 of us was about $40. Even my father thought this was ridiculously low. We’d let him pay the bill then one of us would “left something at the table” and return to lay down more cash.

I have a question tipping bell service. I've heard a buck or two per bag. Fine with luggage. But I am having a walmart delivery. Walmart tends to put three things in a bag, I'll end up with 57 bags. What would you tip? Grocery cost $160 including case of water, a few gallons of water , and a bunch $4-$7 items.

I have a question tipping bell service. I've heard a buck or two per bag. Fine with luggage. But I am having a walmart delivery. Walmart tends to put three things in a bag, I'll end up with 57 bags. What would you tip? Grocery cost $160 including case of water, a few gallons of water , and a bunch $4-$7 items.
$20

I saw a beautiful top from an online clothing store that I was going to order, until I got to the payment page and they wanted a tip! Really? Tips on ordering clothing now? Ridiculous. I didn’t order the top, and told them exactly why.

Many servers don’t want a higher hourly wage and no tips. They make more, often much much more, the way it currently is.

Maybe not the $47 per hour in your example, but easily $30 to $35.

Disney has always hated poor people. ;)
Best of both worlds, I guess, is ever-increasing wages (needed here to attract and retain employees) AND the ever-more-ridiculous tipping expectations. And thinking about it, had we not shifted to electronic payment methods, there would be far less pressure to pay the “suggested” amounts. That evolution seems to have been been a real boon to tipped (and previously non-tipped) positions.

I saw a beautiful top from an online clothing store that I was going to order, until I got to the payment page and they wanted a tip! Really? Tips on ordering clothing now? Ridiculous. I didn’t order the top, and told them exactly why.
What clothing store? I’m assuming an Etsy-type store, in which case I wouldn’t be put off by a gratuity request whatsoever. Honestly, when it comes to tipping, I’m generally not upset by it & usually, unless the person provides an absolutely terrible, underserving job, I do it when requested with pleasure

As a general rule, I'm a good tipper. Usually 20% for okay service, up to 50% or more for stellar service (rare). I tip housekeeping, bellhops, delivery drivers, and those who do my hair or nails, as well as restaurant servers. But I am beyond annoyed at suggested or default tips. If a restaurant tacks on an 18% default tip, okay, that's what you've decided your servers deserve. I'm not adding a single penny to it. And I don't feed the tip jar at counter service places. Nope, you're not waiting on me. You're just ringing me up. Huge difference.

Never heard of that. I would do the same as you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter