• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping on top of tipping

IMHO after 14 cruises with Disney

The four "pre-paid positions" always get the minimum then depending on service I will add more near the end of the cruise which I put on thier account.

KIDS: I have ALWAYS paid at least the full amount for my kids (3), the servers and stewards work harder for kids. As first time cruisers you don't realize that your children will recieve special attention, Their food will get there before yours, their toys sometime get the same treatment. I will never forget the day we returned to find the stuffed animals arranged playing a card game.

ROOM SERVICE: Get tipped in cash. Anyone who comes to my door with food I don't have to pay for when I am hungry, tired or in need of coffee deserves a few bucks.

PALO/REMY: Servers, get the same percentage of what I would have paid if I was buying a similar meal at home.

BAR: Usually the autotip, sometimes more in cash, the server last cruise who had to go to another bar to get my chocolate martini on the last night got more (and a mention on the card)

NON TIPPED POSITIONS (kids club, guest services) in the past we have given candy, gift cards for service that is above and beyond. Each kid was given a gift card to be given to the kids/Teen club CM they most appreciated. They also get a mention on the survey.

WILD CARD- Every once in while we find a bar tender, cruise staffer or some other CM that really makes our cruise special. This is more likely to happen on longer cruises. The bar tender gets cash. The other CM are ususally offered a bottle of local wine that we bring for this purpose (they will probably have to sign some paperwork so do this prior to the last night)

Finally, if someone is just over the top wonderful, the night of the Captains Gala, find out who their boss (or sometimes bosses boss) is, go up to that person and let them know, give examples. The effect is pretty much immediate.

These are just what we as a family do, your milage may vary. Disney service is what had us return to DCL after trying out some other lines. Enjoy your cruise.

Pacurn, I love your suggestions!

WOW! I had no idea how tipping worked on cruises. Thank you for the info. I have a whole new perspective. I remember it being a mess at the end of our cruise 6 years ago and being confused by the whole thing. I get it now. I'll go ahead and finish pre-paying for my son too. Then I can put it on my card and know that I've done the right thing ahead of time = less stress to enjoy the cruise and the appropriate thank you to the people who will work so hard to earn it. :cheer2: I just wish we could tip the child care people like the rest. I KNOW I'll be grateful for them.:goodvibes

Don't feel bad. I've only been on one other cruise, The Big Red Boat 14 years ago, and we had no idea how to tip either. It was very confusing. Luckily we did tip the suggested amounts. But we ate almost every meal as room service (didn't want to share tables) and never tipped room service. And normally we are big tippers at restaurants. We just didn't know.

So thank goodness for these boards! I have worked the tips into our budget. I've over budgeted the tips so that if I feel they worked hard, they will get the extra. Plus I've worked in extra for Palo and a huge wad of $1 bills for room service.

I think I will take some of Pacurn's suggestions too.

NON TIPPED POSITIONS (kids club, guest services) in the past we have given candy, gift cards for service that is above and beyond. Each kid was given a gift card to be given to the kids/Teen club CM they most appreciated. They also get a mention on the survey.

What kind of gift card do you give? Do they get to keep it or does it get pooled?

What kind of gift card do you give? Do they get to keep it or does it get pooled?

Any tips (candy, cash, gift cards) are put in the pool. Cash for funding the CM party, candy to share, and gift cards as door prizes to be awarded at the party.

:cutie:

...All "bar items" have the 15% added, regardless of where they are ordered. The pooled 15% bar tips are divided among all the bar staff workers. Each time you sign a ticket, it is coded as to who served you; if you add any additional to the ticket, the additional amount goes to the person who actually served you. The "bar staff" workers who divide the 15% include the bar servers and the bar tenders.

...As to tipping for children--absolutely yes, regardless of age. I can maybe see people who say a nursing infant doesn't use any dining services, but even there they do take a space at the table. And they certainly generate MORE work for the stateroom host. Little ones eating at the table generate a lot more mess and work for servers than most adults. Unless you have them removed from your account, the standard tips will be added for all persons regardless of age...

If I walk up to the bar to order my own drink, I rarely add to the 15% auto gratuity. However, if my bottom in planted in a lounge chair and a CM takes my order and brings my drink back to me, I usually add at least $1 or so.

We began bringing DD on cruises when she was 3 years old, and we always tipped at least the recommended for her. She was definitely more work for both the stateroom host and serving team, and I was incredibly grateful for all they did for her (and us!) to make our cruise so wonderful and relaxing!

I'm travelling with my 3 kids, ages 7, 5, and 2 years old, and have already pre-paid the full recommended amount for ALL of us who are in our cabin (5 people, including DH). There is no way I will make a bigger mess than my kids, either in the cabin or at dinner, and therefore would never consider paying LESS gratuities for them. In our cabin, I know their beds will be made just like mine, their towels and toiletries replenished just like mine, and their "things" organized just like mine (actually more, I'd guess, since I'm not bringing a backpack of small toys). I would never insult the CM's by stiffing them on the tips of my children, especially since I know how much effort it is to clean up after them at home is! ;)

I completely agree, but what about an infant that isn't likely to attend dinner, and if the infant does attend dinner, certainly will not consume anything. I plan to tip for the infant, but just wanted to see others' opinions.

IMHO after 14 cruises with Disney

The four "pre-paid positions" always get the minimum then depending on service I will add more near the end of the cruise which I put on thier account.

KIDS: I have ALWAYS paid at least the full amount for my kids (3), the servers and stewards work harder for kids. As first time cruisers you don't realize that your children will recieve special attention, Their food will get there before yours, their toys sometime get the same treatment. I will never forget the day we returned to find the stuffed animals arranged playing a card game.

ROOM SERVICE: Get tipped in cash. Anyone who comes to my door with food I don't have to pay for when I am hungry, tired or in need of coffee deserves a few bucks.

PALO/REMY: Servers, get the same percentage of what I would have paid if I was buying a similar meal at home.

BAR: Usually the autotip, sometimes more in cash, the server last cruise who had to go to another bar to get my chocolate martini on the last night got more (and a mention on the card)

WILD CARD- Every once in while we find a bar tender, cruise staffer or some other CM that really makes our cruise special. This is more likely to happen on longer cruises. The bar tender gets cash. The other CM are ususally offered a bottle of local wine that we bring for this purpose (they will probably have to sign some paperwork so do this prior to the last night)

Finally, if someone is just over the top wonderful, the night of the Captains Gala, find out who their boss (or sometimes bosses boss) is, go up to that person and let them know, give examples. The effect is pretty much immediate.

These are just what we as a family do, your milage may vary. Disney service is what had us return to DCL after trying out some other lines. Enjoy your cruise.

Wow, that just seems like so much effort for me on a vacation. I do not want to have to think about bringing chocolate bars, gift cards, wine, etc. as even more gratuities. Perhaps, that is why I am fine with the automatic tipping procedure in place. Less for me to think about when I just want to relax.

Do not get me wrong, your method is a wonderful way to approach things. I am sure all your efforts are much more appreciated than my simple handing over of an envelope!

I will comment that the "customary" tip level is not really a "minimum" tip. I do think many people do guilt themselves into wondering if they are being cheap by tipping that amount. There is a reason Disney provides that guidance. It is an amount that everyone should consider if their service was magical. With that being said, a real "minimum" tip would actually be no tip. If the service is awful and not corrected after contacting a CMs supervisor, I would not feel obligated to provide the customary tip. Just my opinion.

DWF

Wow, that just seems like so much effort for me on a vacation. I do not want to have to think about bringing chocolate bars, gift cards, wine, etc. as even more gratuities. Perhaps, that is why I am fine with the automatic tipping procedure in place. Less for me to think about when I just want to relax.

Do not get me wrong, your method is a wonderful way to approach things. I am sure all your efforts are much more appreciated than my simple handing over of an envelope!

I will comment that the "customary" tip level is not really a "minimum" tip. I do think many people do guilt themselves into wondering if they are being cheap by tipping that amount. There is a reason Disney provides that guidance. It is an amount that everyone should consider if their service was magical. With that being said, a real "minimum" tip would actually be no tip. If the service is awful and not corrected after contacting a CMs supervisor, I would not feel obligated to provide the customary tip. Just my opinion.

DWF

I agree and don't think there is anything wrong with that. I like what Pacurn wrote and I like to overtip people when service is great. But there is certainly nothing wrong with tipping the recommended amount and I agree it's not a minimum. If I get bad service, I am not above tipping lower or even not at all (assuming it's the actual server's fault and not bad food or being understaffed). But that's such a rarity, especially for Disney. When I feel that someone goes above and beyond, I like to reciprocate.

Nothing at all wrong with relaxing and going with the recommended.

Paid room service items don't have an auto gratuity.
As for bar items, I might tip extra if I was getting superb service but normally 15% auto gratuity is plenty for me.

I'm a little confused. By paid room service items do you mean like alcohol? I have heard that regular room service items..cheese plates, coffee in the morning..have an auto tip added.. Can someone clarify on the room service tipping?

I'm a little confused. By paid room service items do you mean like alcohol? I have heard that regular room service items..cheese plates, coffee in the morning..have an auto tip added.. Can someone clarify on the room service tipping?

The only things I've ordered from room service are Mickey bars, and no auto gratuity is added.

I have never ordered anything I had to pay for from room service.

The regular food items and coffee that are free do NOT have a fee or tip attached to them.

If you wish to tip you can tip cash. Nice to keep some ones on hand for that purpose.

mammacaryn said:
I have never ordered anything I had to pay for from room service.

The regular food items and coffee that are free do NOT have a fee or tip attached to them.

If you wish to tip you can tip cash. Nice to keep some ones on hand for that purpose.

There are free/included things and things that cost extra. The auto tip would be only for the items that cost extra like popcorn and candy and whatever else that's not included.

There are free/included things and things that cost extra. The auto tip would be only for the items that cost extra like popcorn and candy and whatever else that's not included.

I understand. I have never ordered anything like that from roomservice :thumbsup2

The person was asking if the included with the cruise items like a cheese tray or coffee had an included tip(because they heard they did)....that is the question I answered since I have never purchased anything from room service ;)

mammacaryn said:
I understand. I have never ordered anything like that from roomservice :thumbsup2

The person was asking if the included with the cruise items like a cheese tray or coffee had an included tip(because they heard they did)....that is the question I answered since I have never purchased anything from room service ;)

Oops! I didn't mean to quote your post! I'm sorry. Meant to quote that poster's question.

May sound like a silly question, but do you think that the members of a serving team might compare tips and know if a particular table tipped one of them more or less than the others?

If you have ever worked for tips in a restaurant, you know that the answer to this question is a resounding YES!

I know that some have mentioned that they leave a small token gift and/or extra cash/gratuity added to voucher for their Room Steward. Is there any issue with them accepting a bottle of local wine?

An interesting question, if you tip extra on a drink at dinner, I wonder where that extra goes; to your assistant server, the serving team, the bartender, or all of the above?

Funny you should ask this. A couple weeks ago we were on our 7th cruise on the Fantasy and directly asked our assistant server and server this very question on the first night. They both said that they split it 50-50 between the two of them. The bartender only gets his/her portion of the auto tip of 15%. We were thrilled to learn this. So every night we added extra to the bar bill. We've never had such great service from a serving team. We love to linger at dinner and our servers soon learned this. So they decided this was a good time to entertain us, after the majority of tables were empty. They would sing, do magic, pose brain teasers, tell us funny stories and jokes. It was so fun. The head waiter even joined in a couple of nights. This was the first time we have ever given extra to the head waiter. We are going back on the Fantasy next September and have already requested these servers again. Hope they are still there and working together.

PS - does anyone know if there is a way to send a thank you card to our servers? The biggest problem is we do not know their last names. But their first names are very unique.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter